Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: The Legend of Korra [Spoilers]  (Read 18309 times)

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
The Legend of Korra [Spoilers]
« on: September 29, 2014, 02:29:40 pm »

Continued discussion from Random Stuff Part II
ATLA and LoK stuff

Yeah, some things are best left to the imagination.  Though to be fair, the time before Wan is still pretty mysterious!  Have you read the comics?  They tell some other neat stories (including some closure for the Ursa plot).

The stuff with Vaatu was pretty weird, definitely.  I enjoyed it, but the season 2 plot of Korra did feel a bit off and over-the-top.  Part of it was because it didn't fully mesh with what I thought the spirit world was, but I can't even articulate what that might have been anyway.  The final battle with a giant Korra was also a bit crazy.  Even so, it was all very intriguing and I can see now how the season 2 plot really opened up the possibilities for the universe.  Season 3 was brilliant and it'll be really fun to see what season 4 is like.

I'm perfectly happy with them leaving the background of lavabending up in the air.  There's just so much possible creative space in the various uses of bending, maybe it just takes a unique mind or critical moment to uncover those cases.  Just off the top of my head...

Imagine a waterbender with the subtlety to freeze little patches of ice on the ground just as opponents are making a move to throw them off balance.  Or an earthbender shifting the earth for the same effect, hidering opponents and helping himself.  Imagine a lightning bender who can hold the electricity in her hands and feet for close combat like what Asami has demonstrated with her glove.  Imagine an airbender manipulating sound waves for espionage, or even using sonic attacks or throwing sounds to distract and mislead (IIRC Aang has used airbending at times to increase the volume of his voice, so there is basis for sound manipulation). 

Outside of a family-friendly setting, it can get even better.  Earthbenders and water benders who specializes in controlling small projectiles (read: psychic bullets) instead of chucking giant boulders and torrents of water.  Earthbenders who work with razor sharp crystal and waterbenders who actually use their ice to cut and pierce.  Metal bloodbenders who use the iron in blood instead of the water. Man, now that there's lavabending, there could even be an airbender who can control air temperature.  Or vacuums!  And even lightning bending could be so much more deadly.  It could all get so ridiculously destructive. 

So yeah, I don't think lavabending needs much more of an explanation.  I don't think combustion was ever elaborated on, was it?

Totally happy to discuss this show.  Maybe a separate thread would be worthwhile.  We might already have one floating around somewhere...
I've read of the comics, so know some stuff that happens in them. It'd probably be something nice to check out though.

Mm. Still not sure that I agree about lavabending. In the original show, I loved how they explained how special abilities worked (Toph and the minute pieces of earth contained with metal, Iroh trying to teach Zuko how to make and redirect lightning). To me, it added an extra level of believability and authenticity to those abilities. Like ok, Toph can bend metal because she is better able to sense and manipulate the earth inside of it. And Azula's preference and mastery over lightning took on greater meaning when we learned about the skills necessary to perform the technique. It's not that big of a deal for me, but I do normally like it when they provide explanation for this sort of thing.

I like all of the things that you mention in regard to other special abilities. One that I really enjoyed and I thought had great impact was Zaheer's ability to kill people by stealing the air out of their lungs. It innately made sense that that was something airbenders were capable of but had never done before because of their pacifist nature. So it took someone like Zaheer who wasn't bound by that culture to take things to another level. And theoretically, considering that bloodbender's can move people like puppets, they should also be able to steal all of the liquid out of their bodies.

I like your idea about an airbender being able to control temperature. Lavabending does make more sense from the point of view that nearly all bending forms have been shown to have some control over temperature. Waterbenders can freeze and unfreeze water, firebenders can obviously create heat but they have also been shown to have the ability to siphon it off in order to cool objects (the major scene coming to mind is Firelord Sozin assisting Avatar Roku with the volcano. He basically channeled the heat from the lava, solidifying it into rock again). So at this point, airbending is the only form not shown to have control over temperature (unless I'm misremembering some scene with Aang blowing on some chains repeatedly to freeze them).

Combustion has some explanation. I think most of it is related to the position of chakras in the body and the tatoo allowing some focus of energy. P'li's ability seemed significantly less powerful than the original Combustion Man, but she could bend it around corners and stuff which was cool.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Korra [Spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 02:35:18 pm »
+1

Oh, Korra discussion! I want in
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 03:11:32 pm »
+1

Disappointed.  I expected to come here and see a big wall of blackness.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 03:13:15 pm »

We will always have the a Song of Ice and Fire thread (cf. page 2 and onwards).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:59:05 am by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 03:14:39 pm »

Hence the spoiler tag on the whole thread. You could always spam it with spoilered lorem ipsum if it makes you feel better.

Edit: This should make you feel more at home.
Edit #2: Decided to stop trolling my own thread.

On another note, does anyone here actually watch the show besides Robz?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 03:25:57 pm by Ichimaru Gin »

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 04:21:43 pm »

I watch it.  I feel like Season 3 was significantly better than the first two, but still not up to TLA's standards.  It seems smart to finally let things end in Season 4.  Hopefully things get wrapped up nicely. 

I would most like for Ko to return as a major villain or something, but it's somewhat unlikely.  Hopefully Korra's injury actually impacts her character this time around.  The Season 1 finale was a huge cop-out.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 04:34:28 pm »

I think other airbenders have killed by asphyxiation in the past, though probably rarely.  Consider the position of Monk Gyatso amidst the skeletons of a legion of firebenders.  How did they all die around him?  Maybe a giant suicidal vacuum bubble?

I think Aang's freezing of chains was more waterbending, though I'm not sure.

I don't think the tattoo confers power for combustion benders.  I think it's more like airbender tattoos.  "This person can blow stuff up with their minds.  Don't piss them off."  Maybe it's yet another secret society or something.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 04:38:52 pm »

I think other airbenders have killed by asphyxiation in the past, though probably rarely.  Consider the position of Monk Gyatso amidst the skeletons of a legion of firebenders.  How did they all die around him?  Maybe a giant suicidal vacuum bubble?

I don't think the tattoo confers power for combustion benders.  I think it's more like airbender tattoos.  "This person can blow stuff up with their minds.  Don't piss them off."  Maybe it's yet another secret society or something.

I actually thought it was canon that Gyatso killed all those firebenders by bending the air out of the room in suicidal fashion.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 04:41:48 pm »
+1

I actually thought it was canon that Gyatso killed all those firebenders by bending the air out of the room in suicidal fashion.

I don't believe that battle was ever shown, nor explicitly explained.  Maybe it was mentioned in an interview?

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 04:44:17 pm »

No the tattoo is essential to their abilities since it allows them to focus chi energy into their beam attacks. So I don't think it necessarily gives them their powers, but it is necessary for them to use them.
Edit: spelling

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 05:15:27 pm »

No the tattoo is essential to their abilities since it allows them to focus chi energy into their beam attacks. So I don't think it necessarily gives them their powers, but it is necessary for them to use them.

Source?  I can't see how the tattoo could be necessary.  Do you mean the eye acts like a sort of physical aid, the way a sniper needs a sight on their gun?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 05:27:16 pm »

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 06:15:36 pm »

Source?  I can't see how the tattoo could be necessary.  Do you mean the eye acts like a sort of physical aid, the way a sniper needs a sight on their gun?
http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Specialized_bending_techniques

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 07:33:07 pm »

It's not sourced in the wiki either.

Edit: to clarify, I believe the wiki is only describing what we have seen.  Both users of the ability channel chi, and this manifests as a sort of beam directed through a spot on their forehead.  It so happens that both users have a tattoo right on this spot.  The power likely requires intense skill and concentration, given how it can be disrupted by impacting the bender's forehead, e.g. with a boomerang.  But there is nothing to suggest that the tattoo itself is necessary!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 07:39:57 pm by eHalcyon »

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 08:21:29 pm »

It's not sourced in the wiki either.

Edit: to clarify, I believe the wiki is only describing what we have seen.  Both users of the ability channel chi, and this manifests as a sort of beam directed through a spot on their forehead.  It so happens that both users have a tattoo right on this spot.  The power likely requires intense skill and concentration, given how it can be disrupted by impacting the bender's forehead, e.g. with a boomerang.  But there is nothing to suggest that the tattoo itself is necessary!
I still have to disagree here I think.

For one, the technical, technical details of exactly how people bend in any fashion are never fully explained. To think that the tattoo is purely decorative doesn't make any sense to me at all. The idea of a "third eye" is present in a lot of different cultures--albeit with different meanings. It is canon that the original combustion man was the result of a fire nation military experiment--thereby heavily implying that they did something to him that gave/unlocked the abilities that he possessed. I highly doubt that the only thing they did was put a decorative tattoo of a third eye on his forehead. For sure, there isn't information that necessarily undeniably proves the necessity of having a tattoo on the forehead in order to combustion bend, but from what we have observed of all users having this identical tattoo in the same spot, I highly doubt that it is just ornamental.

From Aang's conversation with the Guru Pathik, we learn that this tattoo is placed directly over the light Chakra. I really think the best explanation is that this particular symbol has a spiritual/metaphysical significance that allows combustion benders to use their abilities. You can still disagree and that's fine. I just think your explanation raises more questions than it answers.

Edit: If the tattoo is really unnecessary, then why can't combustion benders emit these beams from any place on their body? Someplace that might make more sense and be less vulnerable, like their hands. And if it's unnecessary, why does someone else have the exact same tattoo over a hundred years later? Tradition? How can you even have a sense of culture or precedent when odds are that there have only been two people with this ability in a hundred year period? No one else has been shown to have the ability to channel focused chi in this manner, so I think it makes perfect sense that the tattoo has something to do with that. Causation does not equal correlation here, but the evidence really points toward the conclusion that the tattoo is required for them to fire their beam attacks.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 08:34:12 pm by Ichimaru Gin »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 08:46:49 pm »

For one, the technical, technical details of exactly how people bend in any fashion are never fully explained. To think that the tattoo is purely decorative doesn't make any sense to me at all. The idea of a "third eye" is present in a lot of different cultures--albeit with different meanings. It is canon that the original combustion man was the result of a fire nation military experiment--thereby heavily implying that they did something to him that gave/unlocked the abilities that he possessed. I highly doubt that the only thing they did was put a decorative tattoo of a third eye on his forehead. For sure, there isn't information that necessarily undeniably proves the necessity of having a tattoo on the forehead in order to combustion bend, but from what we have observed of all users having this identical tattoo in the same spot, I highly doubt that it is just ornamental.

Wait, what?  I think you may be misremembering the little of Combustion Man's backstory that was revealed.  All that was said was that he discovered his ability when he was a child but couldn't control it, thus losing a couple limbs.  There was nothing about an experiment, nothing about the military at all.  It was implied that he was just born with this special ability.

From Aang's conversation with the Guru Pathik, we learn that this tattoo is placed directly over the light Chakra. I really think the best explanation is that this particular symbol has a spiritual/metaphysical significance that allows combustion benders to use their abilities. You can still disagree and that's fine. I just think your explanation raises more questions than it answers.

Edit: If the tattoo is really unnecessary, then why can't combustion benders emit these beams from any place on their body? Someplace that might make more sense and be less vulnerable, like their hands. And if it's unnecessary, why does someone else have the exact same tattoo over a hundred years later? Tradition? How can you even have a sense of culture or precedent when odds are that there have only been two people with this ability in a hundred year period? No one else has been shown to have the ability to channel focused chi in this manner, so I think it makes perfect sense that the tattoo has something to do with that. Causation does not equal correlation here, but the evidence really points toward the conclusion that the tattoo is required for them to fire their beam attacks.

I think the location of the chakra is the important thing.  That particular spot on the forehead is where that power emanates.  I don't see how your question helps your side of the debate.  If the tattoo is the key, why not put that tattoo somewhere less vulnerable?  I think the location (forehead, above the light chakra) is the key and the tattoo is placed there to reflect that.  Like, if you had the power to emit explosion beams from your forehead and wanted a sweet tattoo to identify your awesomeness, the source of the power is the natural place to do it.  Granted, it's a bit like putting a target on your Achilles heel forehead, but I'm sure the ability to explode things at will foster a sense of hubris.

On the same note, if you didn't have such power, you probably wouldn't want to have a tattoo like that in the first place.

Regarding why someone would have the same tattoo a hundred years later -- they may be related?  And even if they aren't, that particular power must rise to legendary status among Fire Nation civilians.  Tradition can apply even if there isn't anybody to carry the mantle in many intervening years.

Correlation and causation mean very little here, given that we only have two points of data.  But if the tattoo is the important thing, why aren't more firebenders getting these tattoos?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 08:49:09 pm by eHalcyon »

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 09:02:33 pm »

Wait, what?  I think you may be misremembering the little of Combustion Man's backstory that was revealed.  All that was said was that he discovered his ability when he was a child but couldn't control it, thus losing a couple limbs.  There was nothing about an experiment, nothing about the military at all.  It was implied that he was just born with this special ability.

I think the location of the chakra is the important thing.  That particular spot on the forehead is where that power emanates.  I don't see how your question helps your side of the debate.  If the tattoo is the key, why not put that tattoo somewhere less vulnerable?  I think the location (forehead, above the light chakra) is the key and the tattoo is placed there to reflect that.  Like, if you had the power to emit explosion beams from your forehead and wanted a sweet tattoo to identify your awesomeness, the source of the power is the natural place to do it.  Granted, it's a bit like putting a target on your Achilles heel forehead, but I'm sure the ability to explode things at will foster a sense of hubris.

On the same note, if you didn't have such power, you probably wouldn't want to have a tattoo like that in the first place.

Regarding why someone would have the same tattoo a hundred years later -- they may be related?  And even if they aren't, that particular power must rise to legendary status among Fire Nation civilians.  Tradition can apply even if there isn't anybody to carry the mantle in many intervening years.

Correlation and causation mean very little here, given that we only have two points of data.  But if the tattoo is the important thing, why aren't more firebenders getting these tattoos?
Where was Combustion Man's backstory revealed? Cause last time I checked, the only information was related to him being a military experiment. If it says something different somewhere else, than that's probably right.

I like the point you make about calling attention to their weakest point with the tattoo, so would you really want to do that if you didn't need to? To me, I see it as a combination of Chakra + Tattoo + some innate ability perhaps. In this universe, we haven't exactly observed tattoos or symbols to have any innate power or relation to bending other than cultural, but there's still a lot we don't know and the combustion power is probably the most mysterious of any bending ability. Although the information on the wiki regarding the tattoo being necessary for the ability to work isn't sourced, I don't think it's unreliable either. It's there because it's the theory that makes the most sense given the information we have.

It seems very reasonable to me that you would need some sort of marking in order to focus the beam that you can emit from your forehead. Without the tattoo, I think the combustion bender's power may be akin to when they have been struck in the head--completely unfocused and dangerous to themselves. I never said that that tattoo was the only thing required--far from it. I see it as an aid that allows them to use their technique to the fullest potential by focusing it into a usable form.

At this point, we may just have to agree to disagree and move on to something else. It seems as though we each feel pretty confident that our interpretation is correct--and I don't think there's enough information to make a conclusion that doesn't require at least some stretch or intuitive leap.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 09:29:59 pm »

Combustion Man background was in various official media.  The wiki sources the old ATLA website on Nick.com, which I remember, and I think it's been in interviews too.  Where did you hear about a military experiment?

I already gave an explanation for why they'd have the tattoo: hubris and tradition.  It would also command respect and foster fear in anybody who saw it, which can create a psychological advantage before the battle begins.  And the wiki doesn't actually say that the tattoo is necessary -- just that the tattoo is there.

Re: the tattoo as an aid, I did ask if this was what you meant way back at the start.  :P

I don't think it makes sense to assume that the tattoo confers power or focus that the user didn't have innately or through training.  There's no logical basis that a tattoo could help focus a beam.  It's not a lens!  At best, I could buy that it's a psychological thing, like when (in Naruto) Jiraiya drew a spiral on Naruto's palm to help him learn to do the Rasengan. 

I'll point to the only other case of meaningful inkwork in the Avatar universe -- airbending master tattoos.  Those tattoos are given because of the user's proven ability.  It makes more sense to me that the combustion tattoo is the same.  To me, it's much less of a stretch or intuitive leap that their power is innate, since there is precedence for that too in all the special forms of bending.  Those are abilities that are rare among benders.

But yeah, we can agree to disagree.  Going back to the original statement, the source of combustion isn't explained in the series, much like lavabending.  And I think that's alright. :)

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 09:47:25 pm »
+1

There was a definitely a bit of talking past each other. Glad that we can agreeably disagree though  :D

I checked out that clip regarding the first bit of Season 4. I'll put spoilers here just in case. It feels a little. . .different. I really hope there's no need for anyone to rely on the new earth King, because they paint him as pretty much a jerk. Makes sense if he was the Earth Queen's son, but I don't even know if she's the sort of person to get married. Kinda creepy that they named the park after Korra, it's almost like she died.

There's a pretty good video I found where this guy analyzes the trailer for Season 4. Near the end he said "Fire Kingdom" a few times, which kind of grated on me, but overall I thought he had some nice ideas. And there's a fair number of freeze frames from the trailer where he highlights some interesting theories--and stuff that was impossible for me to see from just watching it. So figured I'd post it here.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2014, 04:54:28 pm »

Anyone watch the new episode yet?

Still a little worried that this will become a repeat of the original "dictator threatens to conquer everybody" storyline, but Kuvira does seem a bit more nuanced than the pure evil that was the Fire Lord.  Granted, I wouldn't be surprised if the bandits that attacked Opal and Kai were doing so on Kuvira's orders.  She's got some sweet moves though.

I like the new wingsuits, though they should probably consider packing an old school staff or something as backup.  I don't like that the one bandit was able to beat Kai and Opal, given that airbenders should be at home fighting in the air and that Kai was shown to be quite adept already when he was younger.

The future Earth King seems more naive and sheltered than an actual jerk or bad guy.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2014, 09:56:40 am »

Wait so is this a spoiler or no spoiler thread? I vote we can discuss up through the current episodes without needing to tag.

I did see the new ep and thought it was quite great but I'm on mobile now and don't feel like typing much.

EDIT: OK thoughts on the episode. I'll keep it in spoiler tags for now, but I still vote for dropping them.

Basically, Kuvira seems like a Hitler analogy for this world. I suspect her ultimate goal is domination, maybe not of the world, but at least the earth kingdom, possibly including republic city. However, all out war will probably not break out for a while and it will be a lot more politically focused, sort of how pre-WW2 played out. Kuvira herself seems a lot more clever and manipulative than the fire lord or any of the other main villains. I'm almost positive the bandit who stole the food from the airbenders was in the group she recruited during her first scene, so she's working on manipulating both ends of the conflict to gain power.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 04:44:29 pm by jonts26 »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2014, 08:48:23 pm »

I only spoilered it because I was posting about the new episode so soon after it has been released.  Maybe spoilers if posting on Friday?  Or people can just stay out of the thread until they've watched it.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2014, 09:56:37 pm »

Ahhh, what happened to Korra and who is the look alike??
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2014, 02:06:41 pm »

Anyone watch the new episode yet?

Still a little worried that this will become a repeat of the original "dictator threatens to conquer everybody" storyline, but Kuvira does seem a bit more nuanced than the pure evil that was the Fire Lord.  Granted, I wouldn't be surprised if the bandits that attacked Opal and Kai were doing so on Kuvira's orders.  She's got some sweet moves though.

I like the new wingsuits, though they should probably consider packing an old school staff or something as backup.  I don't like that the one bandit was able to beat Kai and Opal, given that airbenders should be at home fighting in the air and that Kai was shown to be quite adept already when he was younger.

The future Earth King seems more naive and sheltered than an actual jerk or bad guy.

I share those concerns with you. Exactly, I feel like the plot threads here are a little more obvious than we've seen before (at least for this first episode). I agree with you about the lack of believability of one bandit defeating two airbenders in the air--especially considering we can assume they've been training for quite a while.

Mmm. The new Earth King's character is the most annoying in Korra to date (for me at least). I feel like his persona of naivety might be fabricated. At any rate, I have a lot of trouble with the Earth Kingdom continuing with it's backwards royalty and hereditary rule of fools and elitists--especially when Zaheer gave them the perfect chance to break away from that system. One of my favorite things about this show is how the villains sometimes have laudable motives for the things they do. And although I don't think Anarchy is a good alternative to corrupt governments, Zaheer taking out the Earth Queen was probably my favorite scene from Season 3.
Kuvira's tactics may be a little underhanded, but so far it looks like she has the makings of a great leader. From what we've seen so far, I would hands down side with Kuvira over the continued corruption of the Earth Kingdom Monarchy. Though I'm sure we'll see more of the dark side of Kuvira as time goes on.

Also, I like the idea of spoilers on Friday's only.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2014, 03:24:42 pm »
+2

My understanding of the situation is that the Earth Kingdom people have broken away from the monarchy.  Now there are a whole bunch of individual provinces or states.  But the fracturing of the Earth Kingdom has resulted in instability and banditry.  Other nations consider this to be a huge problem (which is a fair point) and they can't protect all the Earth Kingdom citizens as things are now, so they are trying to re-unify the Earth Kingdom and bring things under control once more.  Unfortunately, they've chosen to put the kingdom in the hands of the naive Prince Wu. 

Kuvira is tasked with the actual unification process, ostensibly with support from the world leaders, but she has her own plans (note how she had the bandits swear allegiance to her rather than to the Earth King or even the Earth Kingdom as a whole).  Perhaps she is just power-hungry, though I think she believes that she will be a better leader than the foolish Prince Wu.  And she's probably right.  Certainly there are already people who would side with her over the prince, as evidenced by the pie-throwing protestors.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out from there.  Will Kuvira be cast as a villain by using increasingly brutal and/or underhanded tactics?  Will there be more political maneuvering, with the world powers having to choose who to back?  Is it still possible for Kuvira to turn out to be more of an anti-hero than a villain, with another character rising up as the Big Bad?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 20 queries.