Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Haggler, Farmland, Border Village  (Read 3497 times)

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
Haggler, Farmland, Border Village
« on: September 29, 2014, 10:37:21 am »
+4

Here's an intriguing question that just occurred in a game where Haggler, Farmland and Border Village were all in the kingdom.

I had a Haggler in play. I bought Farmland.

Now I have two side-effects I can perform: trash-and-gain with Farmland and gain-a-cheaper-non-Victory with Haggler. By my understanding of the rules, I may perform these in either order, my choice? So far so good.

I choose to take the Farmland on-buy trigger first. I trash a $4 card and gain Border Village. As a side-effect of gaining Border Village, I may gain a cheaper card.

So now I can gain a cheaper non-Victory from the Haggler's while-in-play effect, and gain any cheaper card from Border Village's on-gain effect. But can I do them in either order? Or, now I've started resolving the Farmland on-buy trigger before the Haggler while-in-play effect, must I completely resolve Farmland first by dealing with the Border Village's on-gain before I may use the Haggler while-in-play effect?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: Haggler, Farmland, Border Village
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 10:44:24 am »
+7

You must resolve the Border Village gain first.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 01:35:33 pm »
+3

Challenge: Imagine you could choose the order. Find an edge case where the order of BV vs. Haggler here matters. Bonus: find a case where you'd want Haggler first.

For the first:

You'd want BV first to gain an Island that you want to shuffle into your deck with Inn from Haggler.

Can't think of anything for the second.

dereeder

• Steward
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 02:14:08 pm »
+7

Challenge: Imagine you could choose the order. Find an edge case where the order of BV vs. Haggler here matters. Bonus: find a case where you'd want Haggler first.

For the first:

You'd want BV first to gain an Island that you want to shuffle into your deck with Inn from Haggler.

Can't think of anything for the second.

You want to gain Cultist off Haggler and trash it to Watchtower to trigger a shuffle (fewer than 3 cards left in your deck) before you gain a Duchy off Border Village.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 03:21:00 pm »
+9

A game-deciding case: you're behind 3 points as player one and there's exactly one Duchy, IGG and Curse left with your opponent having at least one Watchtower he hasn't yet seen this shuffle. You want to gain the IGG off Haggler first to see if he trashes the Curse, which decides whether or not you want the Duchy.

dereeder

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 09:37:30 am »

Next challenge: you have a Haggler in play and buy Farmland, upgrading another card to BV.

Find a case in which (1) you'd want the Haggler gain first, and (2) the card you gain off BV is not a victory card.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 11:37:05 am »

Next challenge: you have a Haggler in play and buy Farmland, upgrading another card to BV.

Find a case in which (1) you'd want the Haggler gain first, and (2) the card you gain off BV is not a victory card.

Your current hand is full of junk so you want to trigger a reshuffle by gaining Cultist and trashing it with Watchtower. The other card you want to gain is a treasure that costs at least $4 which you don't want to miss the shuffle. Therefore, you need to gain the treasure before Cultist. A Quarry is in play which means BV can't gain it.  So, Haggler first and then BV for Cultist.

Edit:

Game end situation like in SCSN's case, but the score is tied and the third pile is an action. Quarry is in play so you need Haggler to try IGG first. Only if the opponent takes the curse do you use BV to empty the third pile.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 11:42:36 am by eHalcyon »

dereeder

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 10:01:11 am »

Yeah, Quarry's what I was getting at.  I can't think of an edge case that does not involve Quarry.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10764
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 01:10:06 pm »

Yeah, Quarry's what I was getting at.  I can't think of an edge case that does not involve Quarry.

Pretty sure there can't be one. Once you rule out victory cards and Quarry, you are asking "name a case where you would rather gain a card costing $5 or less before you gain a card costing $5 or less."
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 03:01:24 pm »

Pretty sure there can't be one. Once you rule out victory cards and Quarry, you are asking "name a case where you would rather gain a card costing $5 or less before you gain a card costing $5 or less."

It's a Vineyards game with #vpon, but I've forgotten exactly how many actions I have but am piling out anyway in a bid to win. I am down 4 points as second player, and have four Vineyards. I'll be haggling an action card, of course; if that puts me over a threshold I'll gain a Duchy off of Border Village and win. If the action doesn't give me any points, I'm still down four so I need to gain another action off of BV and take the tie (at this point the tie is guaranteed, since the Haggler and the haggled action both failed to bump me up by four points).

I think this counts as "not gaining a victory card" from BV, since I'm using the extra information from the Haggler gain to decide whether or not I need the victory card after all, but I suppose that's open to disagreement.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 03:03:49 pm by amalloy »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 03:03:55 pm »

It's a Vineyards game with #vpon, but I've forgotten exactly how many actions I have but am piling out anyway in a bid to win. I am down 4 points as second player, and have four Vineyards. I'll be haggling an action card, of course; if that puts me over a threshold I'll gain a Duchy off of Border Village and win. If the action doesn't give me any points, I'm still down four so I need to gain another action off of BV and take the tie (at this point the tie is guaranteed, since the Haggler and the haggled action both failed to bump me up by four points).

This example involves Duchy, which has been ruled out.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.