Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279329 times)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
Re: TV shows
« Reply #1100 on: August 31, 2018, 04:01:59 pm »

careful with spoilers, some of us are only in season 3.

Honestly, I think you're totally wrong. The underwear thing seems super in character to me.

Which is really one of the cruxes of the show, because of course on the inside there's nothing separating them.

That's not what I am getting out of this show at all. I think the show understands and demonstrates that there are smart and stupid people everywhere, and that's no different in prison than out of prison. The density of craziness and drug addiction is a bit higher but that's almost it. I'd say it shows that as a group the people in and outside of prison aren't that different. But that all people in prison are the same? Hell no.

Sorry, I didn't phrase that very well. I'm not saying they're not different - the super diverse cast of characters is what makes the show great. I am saying that on the outside they didn't run in the same circles, they existed in different spaces, in entirely different hemispheres of life. But inside, there is none of that separation. I agree with your point that there are smart and stupid people, good-intentioned and bad-intentioned people everywhere.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: September 01, 2018, 11:03:27 pm »

What I liked so much about Season 6 is...

Carol and Barb. I don't think they're quite as great as Vee from Season 2, but it was nice to have some really menacing villains in the mix again. Not *every* single person in prison is a well-meaning victim of circumstance, there are occasional crazy irredeemable psychopaths, too.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: September 03, 2018, 11:40:38 am »

well I just decided to drop it during season 5. seasons 1 through 4 had real characters one could take seriously, at least for the most part. now it's just a weird soap opera where everyone's an idiot. Comparing this and the first episode of season 2, it's hard to believe they're in the same show.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: September 03, 2018, 12:07:02 pm »

well I just decided to drop it during season 5. seasons 1 through 4 had real characters one could take seriously, at least for the most part. now it's just a weird soap opera where everyone's an idiot. Comparing this and the first episode of season 2, it's hard to believe they're in the same show.

You're not wrong, but Season 6 is better, if you stick it out. You can even just skip right to Season 6 IMO.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: September 03, 2018, 01:32:40 pm »

Ok, I'll probably take your word for it and try out season 6. s5 will remain unfinished.

edit: what pissed me off the most about season 5 was how they just kept the warden in the portable toilet thing forever. that is TORTURE. I don't think it's in character for the inmates to be that cruel, and the show was playing it off like a joke. not to mention that it's just unbelievably stupid for anyone not to release him after being identified by him, since he'll have the opportunity to make their lives hell after the riot is over (and why wouldn't he?). That's literally unbelievable, as in I don't believe that anyone in that situation wouldn't free him. It just seems to be stupid writing.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 02:12:36 pm by silverspawn »

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: September 03, 2018, 07:42:22 pm »

Ok, I'll probably take your word for it and try out season 6. s5 will remain unfinished.

edit: what pissed me off the most about season 5 was how they just kept the warden in the portable toilet thing forever. that is TORTURE. I don't think it's in character for the inmates to be that cruel, and the show was playing it off like a joke. not to mention that it's just unbelievably stupid for anyone not to release him after being identified by him, since he'll have the opportunity to make their lives hell after the riot is over (and why wouldn't he?). That's literally unbelievable, as in I don't believe that anyone in that situation wouldn't free him. It just seems to be stupid writing.

I think the point of that was to emphasize how unaware the inmates are to normal social dynamics and consequence analysis as well as how push-over like the warden had been. I agree though my season order from best to worst is 1-2--6-3---4------5.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: September 06, 2018, 06:08:49 am »

Just mentioning that Dark is amazing. I haven't enjoyed a show that much since Lost. Can't wait for Season 2. It's like the only German show I ever enjoyed, but the mix of SciFi, drama, romance etc is amazing. The atmosphere is so good. It took me a while to understand who everyone is and who is related with whom, but that was especially interesting to figure out.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: September 06, 2018, 09:01:37 am »

Just mentioning that Dark is amazing. I haven't enjoyed a show that much since Lost. Can't wait for Season 2. It's like the only German show I ever enjoyed, but the mix of SciFi, drama, romance etc is amazing. The atmosphere is so good. It took me a while to understand who everyone is and who is related with whom, but that was especially interesting to figure out.

Yep, very underrated show. Considering the fundamental concept has been dealt with since forever and seems to always get done wrong they are handling a fairly fresh take on it pretty well.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: September 06, 2018, 09:07:15 am »

I finished watching Disenchantment on Netflix. It's rather pedestrian for a Matt Groening product, but it's still better than most shows out there.

It had some amusing nuggets, but the overall story didn't seem to know what it wanted to do. As a result, you have these weird moments where the show wanted to be episode-driven and then where it wanted to have a serial plot.

The mythology of the world was fun to behold, and I felt an attachment to Princess Bean. Luci obviously would be compared to Bender, and for good reason. He's the jerk of the story, but he's not as in-your-face as Bender, which I appreciated. And Elfo would be compared to Fry. Unfortunately, aside from the obsession with his elfhood, there's very little to differentiate him from Fry.

I wanted the show to be a lot more, but I'm content with what I got. My biggest gripe is the season finale. I can appreciate a good cliffhanger here and there, but this one felt less like a cliffhanger and more like the recording cut out in the middle of the episode. I would definitely choose to rewrite that over anything else.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: September 06, 2018, 09:26:58 am »

I liked Disenchantment a lot. Very casual watch and very entertaining. I wanted it to be longer.

Iron Fist Season 2 aires tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it, even if it will be bad.

Also  caught up to the midseason finale of Fear the Walking Dead. (Have to wait a way for certain shows here.) I like this season a lot.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: September 06, 2018, 09:46:53 am »

I also liked Disenchantment. It's far better than any recent season of the Simpsons. Most importantly because it's actually funny.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: September 06, 2018, 11:43:31 am »

I also liked Disenchantment. It's far better than any recent season of the Simpsons. Most importantly because it's actually funny.

I can't say much about recent seasons of the Simpsons, but after the first episode of Disenchantment, I didn't feel the desire to see more of it. It's the same pseudo-witty jokes relying on misconceptions about medieval society that made "medieval" Simpsons episodes cringey, plus two thirds of the main cast being deconstructions of tropes that haven't been played straight for ages by anyone, anyhow. If you were going to make fun of ever-happy elfes or un-princess-y princesses, you should have made that show 17 years ago.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: September 06, 2018, 11:58:44 am »

I can't say much about recent seasons of the Simpsons, but after the first episode of Disenchantment, I didn't feel the desire to see more of it. It's the same pseudo-witty jokes relying on misconceptions about medieval society that made "medieval" Simpsons episodes cringey, plus two thirds of the main cast being deconstructions of tropes that haven't been played straight for ages by anyone, anyhow. If you were going to make fun of ever-happy elfes or un-princess-y princesses, you should have made that show 17 years ago.

I didn't take anything in the show as commentary on how medieval society was actually like. For me it's just a fantasy setting. Can't really argue with the rest.

And I don't think it's amazing, just funny & pretty.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: September 07, 2018, 04:24:38 am »

I didn't take anything in the show as commentary on how medieval society was actually like. For me it's just a fantasy setting.

Maybe it's just me.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: September 09, 2018, 07:22:29 pm »

You're not wrong, but Season 6 is better, if you stick it out. You can even just skip right to Season 6 IMO.

Ok, thanks for making me do that. I skipped over half of season 5 and went straight to s6, and I agree that it was worth watching.

I thought the kickball & two dead bosses ending was bad. Like, that's exactly the kind of thing that happens in scrips but would never happen IRL. But aside from that, it was good. I like the set of guards this time, they were pretty much all shitty people but it was kept within reason, and I suspect that's their game is the kind of thing that actually happens in prisons.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: September 10, 2018, 03:30:18 am »

I watched BBC's "In the flesh" recently. It was slow (or perhaps 50 minutes worth an episode is just too much for me), but I stuck around untill the end and didn't regret it. Some scenes are gold, although later on I feel one antagonist does an unexplained 180 turn in their motivation. Maybe I just didn't understand some things, though - sometimes the british is very thick...

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: September 11, 2018, 07:42:01 am »

I'm finally able to watch Preacher Season 3, and it is absolutely fantastic.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: September 12, 2018, 05:41:20 pm »

Anyone seen Requiem? It's nothing world moving, but a really pleasant and authentic show, great music, nice atmosphere, nothing off-putting. And even though it's not even 2 minutes long, I think the travel scene at 30 minutes in the first episode is actually a masterpiece. It captures the feeling of dozing off and suddenly snapping back to reality super well.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: September 14, 2018, 10:08:25 am »

If anyone is interested in survival shows I would highly recommend Alone. It’s a history channel show so it has the issues of mild over editing and repetition of scenes, but the content is actually quite good. It has ten people all dropped off in a remote location (participants are miles away from each other), and the goal is simply to survive as long as you can. Last one standing wins half a million dollars. The great part though is it’s not “random people” with some reality tv angle like most survival shows, these are all very experienced outdoors people who are allowed to bring ten items and film themselves throughout the process. It means they are actually somewhat successful and have to fight isolation as well as silurvival. They have no clue how many contestants are left and are only contacted once they win. I would suggest starting with season 2 (it’s the best).
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: September 15, 2018, 10:46:32 am »
+2

I love Bojack Horseman, but I'm annoyed that Netflix would think I don't want to listen to the ending credits song every single time. Because I do. Every single time.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: October 09, 2018, 09:02:18 pm »
+2

So I've started watching Lost. It's pretty addicting.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: October 10, 2018, 09:40:39 am »

Lost had some pretty solid storytelling. I think what made it stand out was that each character had fleshed-out stories prior to the crash. Then they changed it up and showed what happened to people after they were rescued. Kind of. That gets kind of weird.

I'm a little disappointed to learn that they didn't plan out the series. On the one hand, it's really cool that they were able to tell these stories while flying by the seats of their pants, but it also meant that they didn't plan for a lot of things, and it shows in some spots.

I'm also one of the few people who was not bothered by the ending. But sadly now I cannot remember the details of the finale, so I am no longer in a state to defend it (or at least offer up reasonable explanations). I'd have to rewatch it and see if I can remember everything that season.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 11:57:57 am by Kuildeous »
A man has no signature

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: October 10, 2018, 10:24:43 am »
+1

Lost had some pretty solid storytelling. I think what made it stand out was that each character had fleshed-out stories prior to the crash. Then they changed it up and showed what happened to people after they were rescued. Kind of. That gets kind of weird.

I'm a little disappointed to learn that they didn't plan out the series. On the one hand, it's really cool that they were able to tell these stories while flying by the seats of their pants, but it also meant that they didn't plan for a lot of things, and it shows in some spots.

I'm also one of the few people who was not bothered by the ending. But sadly now I cannot remember the details of the finale, so I am no longer in a state to defend it (or at least offer up reasonable explanations). I'd have to rewatch it and see if I can remember everything that season.

FTFY

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: October 10, 2018, 11:50:29 am »

I understand why he didn’t spoiler it, but agree with Jimmmmm that he should have.

I found Lost addicting while I was watching it, but by the time I saw the finale, I regretted ever starting the show. I had heard it was ultimately disappointing, but didn’t expect it to be so bad. Some people that don’t care about the same things I do in a TV series loved it though, so YMMV (I think Robz is a pretty vocal defender of the series).
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: October 10, 2018, 11:58:46 am »
+1

I made sure to avoid spoilers, but I'll capitulate.
A man has no signature
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.934 seconds with 21 queries.