Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279123 times)

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Re: TV shows
« Reply #1075 on: August 05, 2018, 09:22:39 am »

when y'all watch something that isn't originally in your native language, what do you do? do you dub it, sub it, sub it in the original language, or do nothing? i guess it depends on the language but i'm curious
English usually without anything except if there is a really heavy and hard to understand accent. Everything else I do in English subs, though German ones definitely exist most of the time. I'm not sure there is much rational reasoning bhind that other than I expect the English subs to be higher quality than the German ones.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: August 05, 2018, 09:46:57 am »

I dub and sub. It’s rather enlightening to note the significant difference between the spoken dialog and the subbed dialog. Often things that would have gone unnoticed or misunderstood are clarified this way. The latest things I did this with were Dark and Money Heist (aka Paper House). The differences in dialog were drastic in Money Heist, almost 2 différent movies.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: August 05, 2018, 09:48:06 am »

I should note I sub everything at any rate. Again, subs often reveal things not spoken such as names of songs in the background or even things that were not actually spoken but were in the dialog.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: August 05, 2018, 09:20:02 pm »

I highly recommend GLOW on Netflix.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: August 06, 2018, 03:35:37 pm »
+2

Any Good Place fans? I really enjoyed the first two seasons, and am excited for S3 next month. I highly recommend it as one of the best comedies on television at the moment.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: August 06, 2018, 07:19:03 pm »
+1

The good place is excellent. So is GLOW.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: August 06, 2018, 07:30:20 pm »

Yes! I just watched The Good Place for the first time a few weeks ago and it is one of the best shows I've ever seen. Definitely not the funniest (but still funny) but the concept, the story, and the character development are brilliant. I love that they can be explicit about the philosophical ideas behind their ethical dilemmas, which is something that's often present but very implicit in most sitcoms.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: August 10, 2018, 02:05:48 pm »

Struggling through Sharp Objects. I want it to finally do something and make the toil worthwhile. I wanna know whodunnit. But damn, it's otherwise pretty slow and grindy.

Working through Barry when I'm too tired to commit any real thinking to my watching.

Actually binged GLOW some (both seasons). Hopefully they don't spoil it by continuing it.

Reluctantly came back to OITNB and the new angle is pretty OK.

Overall, though, nothing is really grabbing me (GLOW did). Might check out The Good Place.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: August 10, 2018, 02:06:28 pm »

The totality of my "TV" watching is 30-60 minutes per day in bed before sleep.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: August 10, 2018, 02:40:58 pm »

If you don’t want a slow and grindy show, good place should be great for you.  The action moves extremely quickly.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: August 10, 2018, 02:43:16 pm »

I quite liked the new season! And I say that as someone who thought seasons 3-4 were just plain terrible, and season 5 was sort of interesting but ultimately a failure.

Never gonna top season 2, though.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: August 10, 2018, 03:07:52 pm »

If you don’t want a slow and grindy show, good place should be great for you.  The action moves extremely quickly.

I like the good place up until the end of the first season.  The second season didn't really do it for me.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: August 10, 2018, 07:18:36 pm »

I quite liked the new season! And I say that as someone who thought seasons 3-4 were just plain terrible, and season 5 was sort of interesting but ultimately a failure.

Never gonna top season 2, though.

Yeah, same here. I'm only 2 or 3 episodes in, so I was hesitant to call it good just yet. I'm sick to death of the main character (and I think that is the point this season) but the rest of the characters and plot points seem interesting.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: August 10, 2018, 10:08:15 pm »

I finally got back around to watching Orphan Black. I had only seen up to the Season 3 finale before, when I lost track of it. I don't think it is as high caliber as some other quality shows, but I still really like watching it. It manages to been engrossing even when it's excessively trope-y.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: August 13, 2018, 02:11:59 am »

Edit: Just highlighting the warning that the video contains major plot spoilers from all seasons, so I don't recommend watching it if you haven't finished the series.

Regarding Breaking Bad, this video makes some good points about the effects of the storytelling choices, in particular in regards to Hank and Walt, and how it biases us as viewers. It focuses on the character of Hank and does contain spoilers from throughout the show.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 02:22:10 am by Witherweaver »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: August 30, 2018, 05:29:25 pm »

Been watching orange is the new black recently. Good show, despite the stupid title. the main character is awesome, she makes it good. almost everyone who isn't in prison is uninteresting and annoying, but thankfully they don't take much screentime.

only in season 3 yet, though, so it might still go downhill later.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: August 31, 2018, 11:58:27 am »

Been watching orange is the new black recently. Good show, despite the stupid title. the main character is awesome, she makes it good. almost everyone who isn't in prison is uninteresting and annoying, but thankfully they don't take much screentime.

The main character is one of my least favorite characters in the show.

I didn't love season 3 but season 4 is actually one of my very favorite seasons of any show. I thought it was amazing.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: August 31, 2018, 12:12:07 pm »

I didn't love season 3 but season 4 is actually one of my very favorite seasons of any show. I thought it was amazing.

OITNB season, ranked from best to worst:

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: August 31, 2018, 12:16:26 pm »

OITNB season, ranked from best to worst:

Wow this opinion isn't just wrong, it's boldly wrong

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: August 31, 2018, 12:26:47 pm »

Mostly I just hate the third and fourth seasons fairly equally. Five was also bad, though ambitiously so. Two was the best by a mile, absolutely Shakespearean.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: August 31, 2018, 12:29:25 pm »

:'( why?

If I didn't like her, the show wouldn't even come close to being worth watching.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: August 31, 2018, 12:39:00 pm »

If I didn't like her, the show wouldn't even come close to being worth watching.

Mainly because she's whiny and holier-than-thou. She thinks she's better than most of the people in there and doesn't appear to take the time to realize that not much separates the stories of how they got there vs how she got there. Which is really one of the cruxes of the show, because of course on the inside there's nothing separating them. And then the cast of characters getting flashbacks shows that circumstance is often the reason people end up inside - and Piper really isn't better than them at all.

She is occasionally resourceful and badass, I don't hate her. Just don't find her the most interesting.

I think she is largely there as a device so that the middle-and-upper class audience of the show can project themselves better into the scenes. Without her perspective, a lot of the situations would feel pretty alien to most viewers.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: August 31, 2018, 01:40:17 pm »

Mainly because she's whiny and holier-than-thou. She thinks she's better than most of the people in there and doesn't appear to take the time to realize that not much separates the stories of how they got there vs how she got there. Which is really one of the cruxes of the show, because of course on the inside there's nothing separating them. And then the cast of characters getting flashbacks shows that circumstance is often the reason people end up inside - and Piper really isn't better than them at all.

She is occasionally resourceful and badass, I don't hate her. Just don't find her the most interesting.

I think she is largely there as a device so that the middle-and-upper class audience of the show can project themselves better into the scenes. Without her perspective, a lot of the situations would feel pretty alien to most viewers.

Piper was a good (by which I mean, consistently written) character in the first two seasons, and a useful vehicle for the audience, but her characterization just became too weird over time. I'm thinking specifically of the illegal underwear business she ran, and her dalliance with the white power faction, which were totally ridiculous plotlines IMO.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: August 31, 2018, 02:17:19 pm »

careful with spoilers, some of us are only in season 3.

Honestly, I think you're totally wrong. The underwear thing seems super in character to me.

Which is really one of the cruxes of the show, because of course on the inside there's nothing separating them.

That's not what I am getting out of this show at all. I think the show understands and demonstrates that there are smart and stupid people everywhere, and that's no different in prison than out of prison. The density of craziness and drug addiction is a bit higher but that's almost it. I'd say it shows that as a group the people in and outside of prison aren't that different. But that all people in prison are the same? Hell no.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: August 31, 2018, 02:25:00 pm »

I mean come on, one person in there was convicted when she tried to return the money for some random item she stole form a supermarket, and another one had someone's tongue ripped out at her command. These are not comparable crimes. I really don't understand how you read a 'they're all the same' message into the show. There's a real spectrum of how messed up the inmates are, and I never got the impression that this was sugarcoated.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.