Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279602 times)

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
Re: TV shows
« Reply #1050 on: June 25, 2018, 08:23:58 am »

WHY ARE WE NOT DISCUSSING WESTWORLD?

The mind control thing is weak sauce. Some of the reveals are solid. The multiple story arcs is good but sometimes it feels like they have to hit every one every episode and it gets kinda add. The doubled characters was neat. I’m behind a few episodes. I don’t think any spoiler tags were needed.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: June 26, 2018, 09:49:29 am »

WHY ARE WE NOT DISCUSSING WESTWORLD?

The mind control thing is weak sauce. Some of the reveals are solid. The multiple story arcs is good but sometimes it feels like they have to hit every one every episode and it gets kinda add. The doubled characters was neat. I’m behind a few episodes. I don’t think any spoiler tags were needed.

I like the control aspect. It shows that they are still just robots executing code. And one of them has the means to override everything. Without giving anything away, I'll say that this plot point becomes very important later on.

So I watched the season finale last night. On a whim, I fast-forwarded through the credits. To my shock, there was an additional scene after the credits.

Makes me wonder if I missed anything  on the season 1 finale.
A man has no signature

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: June 26, 2018, 09:59:37 am »

Just finished Ep7 last night. Things are firming up a bit. I see what you are saying about the plot point being important. Also, excited for Ep8 I've heard much hubris about.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: June 26, 2018, 10:18:49 am »

Just finished Ep7 last night. Things are firming up a bit. I see what you are saying about the plot point being important. Also, excited for Ep8 I've heard much hubris about.

I had to look up which episode that is. Yeah, that episode is pretty awesome. Exploring the different characters is pretty neat. While I enjoyed the imagery of the Samurai World diversion, it didn't seem to stick well with me in terms of the overall plot. Though it was neat to see how it's the same story as Maeve's.

Definite Dollhouse feel, though one could argue that Dollhouse got inspiration from the original Westworld. But the movie didn't really go deeply into what happens when you rewrite consciousness.
A man has no signature

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: June 26, 2018, 03:48:57 pm »

Who do you think is hotter? Eliza Dushku or Evan Rachel Wood?

crax

• Coppersmith
  • they/them pronouns but nbd if you mess up
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: July 06, 2018, 12:10:04 pm »

i'm on episode 5 of season 2 of marvel's luke cage on netflix. i'm surprised that shades seems to actually care about mariah; i thought that he was just using her for power. i do like his new hair though. as for luke, i don't like how eager he seems to inflict violence. i really thought he was more reluctant to fight ? maybe my memory of him from season 1 and the defenders is wrong, or i just disagree with the way his character has developed. anyway, i'm glad there's a season 2 !

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: July 25, 2018, 05:39:17 pm »

Over the last few days, I've watched the first two episodes of Breaking Bad, and I've got to say, wow. I heard it was very good, but my expectations were completely shattered.

It's... awful. Cringey throughout, unlikable and unrelatable main characters, a plot that feels mostly built on people making stupid decisions. We watched the first episode and thought, well that was just the pilot, maybe it was just mediocre because it's setting stuff up. Second episode was somehow worse. I came away feeling not like this was something great that just isn't my cup of tea, but that it was something overall bad that might appeal to a few people. Despite this, it's one of the most critically acclaimed TV shows out there, and honestly, I don't really get it.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3191
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: July 26, 2018, 03:50:23 am »
+1

Being one of the people who thinks it's pretty good, I'd say that the characters actually all seem like decent people to me. It's sort of supposed to be good because it creates a situation where decent, even fairly normal, people are driven to progressively more extreme things, and because it portrays this in a very believable, realistic way rather than being cliché or exaggerated. I think both of those claims are pretty accurate.

I know the experience of trying to watch something critically acclaimed and thinking everyone's an idiot, though. I certainly don't think that if you only watch a bit more, you'll suddenly start liking it. Not gonna happen.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: July 26, 2018, 09:12:29 am »

Over the last few days, I've watched the first two episodes of Breaking Bad, and I've got to say, wow. I heard it was very good, but my expectations were completely shattered.

It's... awful. Cringey throughout, unlikable and unrelatable main characters, a plot that feels mostly built on people making stupid decisions. We watched the first episode and thought, well that was just the pilot, maybe it was just mediocre because it's setting stuff up. Second episode was somehow worse. I came away feeling not like this was something great that just isn't my cup of tea, but that it was something overall bad that might appeal to a few people. Despite this, it's one of the most critically acclaimed TV shows out there, and honestly, I don't really get it.

If you don't think Bryan Cranston's acting in the series is incredible, I don't really know what to tell you.  I don't recall if Season 1 was as compelling on its own as compared to part of the entire series. I didn't start watching until the last episodes were just airing, so I kind of binged it all. I think maybe Episode 6 was where it really picked up for me.

The characters are certainly not likeable; I'm not sure why they should be expected to be. Everyone is very flawed, but I found the characters to be very compelling. Well, Skylar, Marie, and  Watler Jr. annoyed me pretty often, but they're part of the story. Jonathan Banks, Bob Odenkirk, Giancarlo Esposito are all really amazing once they show up. I think Dean Norris was great, too.

What I found really interesting, and perhaps what allowed me to get very immersed in the story, is to ask at each point what I would have done in each situation, conditional on me somehow being in that situation. Once you get past the first few crazy decisions, I found it interesting to evaluate each incremental choice. I guess you have to get a little further into the story and buy into the premise in order to do that, though.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: July 26, 2018, 12:08:16 pm »

It does help to remember that Walter White is the villain of the story. Most everything he does is simply toxic. He has good intentions at first, but the series is really about him descending into a spiral of villainy where everyone is pretty much worse off for having known him. Even his "redeeming" action in the finale scars a couple of innocent people for pretty much life.

The show is predicated on dumb actions. Walter's smart, but he's unhinged. Everyone else is usually of average or lower intelligence, so their mistakes are understandable.

Gus and Mike really make the show stand out. They do great jobs and don't typically fall into the trap of doing dumb things (except maybe relying on Walter, who simply fucks everything to shit). I didn't like Saul at first because he seemed so one-dimensional, but he grew quite a bit (and has earned his own series).

It is hard to like the characters in the couple of seasons, and that's too bad. Skylar is portrayed as this vexing shrew who is screwing everything up even though in real life, she'd be completely in the right. Hank comes off as this swaggering tough guy, but he grows as a character as well.

Does Breaking Bad live up to the hype? The hype is so strong that probably no show can live up to it. But it's still a good show.

One thing that bugged me about it, though, was that some of the "foreshadowing" was actually misdirection. It's been a while, but I remember a foreshadowing that implied terrible things for Hank (badge in the aqueduct?), but it turned out he simply threw it in the water. And the plane explosion, while terrible, was an entirely different disaster than the pool foreshadowing scenes made it seem.[/spoierl]
A man has no signature

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: July 26, 2018, 12:47:59 pm »

I think the series picks up after the first season or so, and for sure the best part is with Gus, but if you absolutely hated the first two episodes, then it might just not be for you. I do find Walter’s extended family kind of (really) annoying at first, though only Marie stayed that way throughout the series, and I loathed any scene with her in it.

Still, the most enjoyable part of the show is when Walter is dealing with a criminal underworld he barely understands, yet for some reason he keeps going deeper and deeper into it instead of quitting when he’s ahead, and the first season just doesn’t show it that much.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: July 26, 2018, 01:41:55 pm »

James Rolfe (AVGN) has an in-depth review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EOmNXjvBNQ.

He didn't really like it until the second half of the first season. Though he didn't completely dislike it from the start; he just didn't think it was that great.

I remember being disappointed by the first episode myself, after having heard all the hype. But within the first few episodes, I was hooked.

What Kuildeous said about Walter being the villain was a big thing for me. While so many other shows or movies would have portrayed the bad guy as still someone you root for (any heist movie, etc), Breaking Bad slowly turns you (the audience) against Walter. At the beginning you feel for him, and want him to succeed even though he's a criminal. But by the end, he's a character you actively dislike, in the way that you should dislike a well-written villain of a story.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: July 26, 2018, 03:27:31 pm »

Who agrees with me that Walter Jr is awful? After having tried explicitly to figure out what his character is I still have no idea. I don't think he has one.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: July 26, 2018, 03:35:50 pm »
+2

I mean, he's a kid, and kids are dumb.
A man has no signature

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: July 26, 2018, 04:15:47 pm »
+1

If you can, keep watching until Season 1 Episode 6, Crazy Handful of Nothin. That's really the point it becomes awesome; if you still don't like it, definitely not for you.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: July 26, 2018, 07:19:52 pm »
+1

I came away feeling not like this was something great that just isn't my cup of tea, but that it was something overall bad that might appeal to a few people. Despite this, it's one of the most critically acclaimed TV shows out there, and honestly, I don't really get it.

I think the evidence then suggests that it is merely not your cup of tea, and not something overall bad that might appeal to a few people. It's definitely fine if it's not your cup of tea, but that's really all one person's opinion can establish.

Seriously, though, watch the full first season and see if you still hate it. It's still my favorite drama series of all time, and for me nothing else is even close.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: July 26, 2018, 07:30:00 pm »
+1

I do find Walter’s extended family kind of (really) annoying at first, though only Marie stayed that way throughout the series, and I loathed any scene with her in it.

Among my favorite things about the show is how well-planned and interconnected it seems, as though the writers and showrunners had every single plot strand mapped out from the beginning with every element affecting everything else in the show. The one weird exception is the Marie shoplifting subplot that takes up way too much time early on and is never mentioned again and has no discernible effect on anything. Even the Schwartzes came back in a crucial way at the very end.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: July 29, 2018, 10:29:45 pm »

If you can, keep watching until Season 1 Episode 6, Crazy Handful of Nothin. That's really the point it becomes awesome; if you still don't like it, definitely not for you.

Yeah, this was the episode I had in mind. I think it stands out as one of my favorites of the series.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: July 30, 2018, 08:55:53 am »

On the topic of breaking bad, I think the slow pace and mundanity of certain episodes allows the show to really earn some of the more iconic moments.

I recently watched season 1 and 2 of Goliath on amazon video (a request of the wife). It was a very bad show with a few really cool episodes. About halfway through season one my official opinion of the show became simply a titled head movement in combination with squinting eyes. The show actually has a very breaking bad esqe feeling about it, however most of the characters had little to no backstory, motivations that exist on the beginning of the show are thrown out the window in order to hit a cool moment.

Goliath felt like it was written by a screenwriter who kept saying “this is awesome”. Whereas Breaking Bad feels very much like it’s written by a show runner saying “his is going to be awesome”.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

crax

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: August 03, 2018, 10:09:09 am »

On a more positive note, I watched Re:Mind... most of it twice. Really fun show, weird in a good way. It definitely exceeded my expectations after the first episode.

i watched it to, though i don't remember why i started watching it. it was also better than i expected. i watched it with french subs, which is my second language, so that was a fun exercise.

crax

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: August 03, 2018, 10:13:13 am »

when y'all watch something that isn't originally in your native language, what do you do? do you dub it, sub it, sub it in the original language, or do nothing? i guess it depends on the language but i'm curious

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: August 03, 2018, 10:39:24 am »

I use English subs. Dubs are horrible.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: August 03, 2018, 11:45:46 am »

I use English subs. Dubs are horrible.

Which is why dubs can be fun.We pretty only much get stuff for kids dubbed. If it's in English I don't care as much about subs, but subs for every other language is my preference.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: August 03, 2018, 03:06:10 pm »

when y'all watch something that isn't originally in your native language, what do you do? do you dub it, sub it, sub it in the original language, or do nothing? i guess it depends on the language but i'm curious

I always do subs in my native language (English). You get used to absorbing the text along with the action pretty quickly and then you still get the inflection and emotion of the original production.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1074 on: August 04, 2018, 07:02:00 am »

I generally get it subbed in English, including when the original language is English. There are no Finnish dubs for anything except for children's movies so I'm pretty accustomed to subtitles.

Also this is always relevant:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 07:03:03 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.