Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279165 times)

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
Re: TV shows
« Reply #1025 on: March 26, 2018, 05:51:17 pm »

I guess I'll do a ranking since I watched the whole series relatively recently:

19. Hated in the Nation
18. The Entire History of You
17. Playtest
16. Men Against Fire
15. Metalhead
14. The National Anthem
13. Arkangel
12. Nosedive
11. Be Right Back
10. Crocodile
9. Black Museum
8. Hang the DJ
7. The Waldo Moment
6. Fifteen Million Merits
5. USS Callister
4. Shut Up and Dance
3. San Junipero
2. White Christmas
1. White Bear

Some notes on my list:

I'm surprised by how much everyone liked Hated in the Nation. I spent the whole episode feeling like the premise was so absurd that I couldn't suspend my disbelief at all. I get why the ending should have been powerful but it wasn't for me because I couldn't get into everything leading up to that point.

I have a hard time ranking the National Anthem because it is by far the most disturbing thing I've ever watched, and I still can't decide whether that's a good or bad thing.

Arkangel was a concept that had the potential to be amazing. They could have explored the consequences of overprotective parenting and if they had done that well it could have been my favorite episode, but then they went a different direction with it.

Nosedive portrayed a very fascinating and terrifying potential future, and I hope that there is some good for society that is done by them drawing our attention to the trace amounts of that culture that exist today; but I did not find it particularly enjoyable to actually watch, so that's why it's not higher.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: March 26, 2018, 06:12:11 pm »

The only episode I've seen was Nosedive. It did not make me want to see more episodes.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: March 26, 2018, 06:13:04 pm »
+1

I have a hard time ranking the National Anthem because it is by far the most disturbing thing I've ever watched, and I still can't decide whether that's a good or bad thing.
I feel like I've seen at least a dozen more disturbing things, but that's probably based on what we find disturbing and not based on having seen more stuff. The duel with the mountain in GoT is one of them.

Your first is Robz second last and your last is my first. Nice.  :D There's some agreement on a couple of others, though.

Anyone else want to make a list?

The only episode I've seen was Nosedive. It did not make me want to see more episodes.

That's because it's the second worst!

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: March 26, 2018, 06:20:42 pm »

I think my favorite think about Nosedive was President Allison Taylor's cameo.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: March 26, 2018, 07:42:39 pm »
+1

I feel like I've seen at least a dozen more disturbing things, but that's probably based on what we find disturbing and not based on having seen more stuff.

Yeah, I think if you just described to me what happened in that episode I wouldn't find it that disturbing, but somehow actually watching it unfold and feeling immersed in that world temporarily amplified it by magnitudes for me.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: March 26, 2018, 11:02:09 pm »

Your first is Robz second last and your last is my first. Nice.  :D There's some agreement on a couple of others, though.

Anyone else want to make a list?

It is interesting how people rank the various episodes. Some real divergence here, though some episodes clearly stand out as the best ones being so high on multiple lists.

I can't make a list like this because I can't just rank them. I can, however, classify them as episodes that were still enjoyable to watch but didn't make me go ga-ga, episodes that did make me go ga-ga, and episodes in between. This list would be:

Didn’t Jingle My Holly
Playtest
Men Against Fire
Metalhead
Arkangel
Crocodile
The Waldo Moment

Neutral
Hated in the Nation
The Entire History of You
The National Anthem
Be Right Back
Black Museum
Fifteen Million Merits
Shut Up and Dance

Really Liked
Nosedive
Hang the DJ
USS Callister
San Junipero
White Christmas
White Bear

It's interesting that Men Against Fire placed so low on my list because the concept is really kickass. I actually had contemplated writing an RPG one-shot that features that very concept but with different execution. I don't know why the episode didn't trip my trigger like the others.

While I can't quantify all of my entries, I am most certainly happiest with San Junipero and USS Callister. That would likely place White Bear and Nosedive at #3 and #4, though which order depends on my mood.
A man has no signature

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: March 31, 2018, 06:45:53 pm »

Jessica Jones season 2... isn't great.

Who would’ve thought. First one was on edge, second I didn’t even start

I liked it. It's no black mirror, but it was enjoyable. And I thought the second season was better than the first. The first went too far at times.

Also seen Dirk Gently. Pleasantly surprised, I thought the second season was really strong. Unfortunately, Wikipedia says it's canceled due to lower viewer numbers.

The_Wine_Merchant

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: TWM
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: March 31, 2018, 08:55:42 pm »

Series of unfortunate events is back!
Wins: M91, M96, NM10, M98, M102, M105
Losses: M100, M103, M104, M109, M112

MVPs: M91, M96
Win percentage: 54.5 (6/11)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: April 11, 2018, 09:51:29 am »

What's wrong with The National Anthem?

I just read the plot summary on Wikipedia, and the answer is everything. Everything is wrong with that.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: April 11, 2018, 10:25:54 am »

What's wrong with The National Anthem?

I just read the plot summary on Wikipedia, and the answer is everything. Everything is wrong with that.

The story is icky, but what impressed me about that episode is the gravity they gave the situation. It's totally absurd, but they still handled the kidnapping as a very serious event. It was the reaction to the events that made the episode so good. Initial disbelief and then the oh shit moments.

And then there's the reaction from the hoi polloi. At first, they were razzing a political figure. But when it actually happened, it turned into a case of be careful what you wish for. The reality of it hit them, and it wasn't so risible anymore. I mean, as much as I hate Trump, if he were ever in that situation and televised, I'd be feeling sorry for him too.

Not my favorite episode, but it is a fascinating look at public figures and how people view them. Even if it is super gross.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: May 01, 2018, 10:34:16 am »

So how far behind am I? I saw an advert for Westworld Season 2 and went to ask a co-worker her opinions on subscribing to HBO for Season 2 only to discover that it's already begun and that she's already watched the first two episodes. Man, am I out of it!
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: May 12, 2018, 03:39:34 am »

Has anyone seen 'Happy!'? It's, like, amazing.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: May 14, 2018, 09:47:00 am »

Has anyone seen 'Happy!'? It's, like, amazing.

It was better than I expected. I raised my eyebrows at some of the outrageousness, but that's what the whole show was about, and so I settled back and accepted it.

The villains were neat in their own quirky way. My favorite, however, was the very basic mobster who took care of his family. He was sinister yet approachable (when he wasn't being sinister). Also, you could tell he was in over his head, and you got to see how that stress got to him.

I liked the idea of the imaginary friend that could be seen by certain others.

And while you imagined the worst in store for the kidnapped children, what really transpired was even weirder and worse.
A man has no signature

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: May 26, 2018, 11:30:51 am »
+1

I watched the first episode of Sherlock (for the first time), and there's a really obvious comparison here between Sherlock on the one hand and L from Death Note on the other. And it's a beautiful illustration because one show does everything right and the other does everything wrong. Sherlock is clearly designed to be way more OP than L, his deduction skills are just far past the scale – but in every other respect, he's a total idiot, who makes fairly obvious mistakes and whom anyone could just walk up to and shoot if ever he became a serious problem. L on the other hand never does any one particular thing which seems superhuman, but he consistently, reliably makes good decisions and accurate deductions.

Like, one show is what happens if someone who isn't that smart herself tries to write a highly intelligent detective, and the other is what happens if someone who actually is smart tries the same thing. And this is like a recurring problem, too. Whenever people try to write characters far smarter than themselves, they just end up being super good at that one thing but it doesn't transfer into general decisionmaking. It's like a caricature of what intelligence is.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: May 26, 2018, 01:14:19 pm »
+1

Writing very smart characters is difficult. Sherlock is bad for a lot more reasons than the way Sherlock's intelligence is handled, but it is one of the issues.

Basically, the show tells us sherlock is a super genius in one of two unsatisfying ways. Either a) he makes "deductions" which are terrible if you spend a second to think about them. Like, there are lots of possible reasons for x, and sherlock just happens to always know which one is correct. This doesn't make him smart, it makes him magic. Or b) the work all happens off screen, so the viewer never has a chance to think about the mystery. The show just says, no, trust us, this was a really hard puzzle that takes a super genius to solve.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: May 26, 2018, 02:19:21 pm »

To be fair, I thought some of the deductions were kinda clever in episode one, like the suitcase, and there was no big puzzle solved off-screen. But I'm quite willing to believe that this gets worse later... many mediocre shows tend to get more lazy about character traits as they go on.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: May 26, 2018, 02:33:29 pm »

To be fair, I thought some of the deductions were kinda clever in episode one, like the suitcase, and there was no big puzzle solved off-screen. But I'm quite willing to believe that this gets worse later... many mediocre shows tend to get more lazy about character traits as they go on.

Oh you've only seen the first episode. Watch the second episode. Then just stop. Those are the only two that are worth the time.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: May 26, 2018, 03:05:04 pm »

I didn't think the first episode passed the 'worth watching' threshold either, though. I was hanging in until the end of ep01 but then the reveal was certainly underwhelming. Actually it was pretty stupid.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: May 29, 2018, 05:48:04 am »
+1

I didn't think the first episode passed the 'worth watching' threshold either, though. I was hanging in until the end of ep01 but then the reveal was certainly underwhelming. Actually it was pretty stupid.

It that the one with the taxi driver? I smelled that from miles away.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: May 29, 2018, 08:58:42 am »

ye. seems like you're smarter than Sherlock!

By reveal I meant more how the guy kills others which turned out to be just blind wifom. Anyone could have 50% against him by simulating a coinflip somehow.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: May 29, 2018, 10:19:51 am »

ye. seems like you're smarter than Sherlock!

By reveal I meant more how the guy kills others which turned out to be just blind wifom. Anyone could have 50% against him by simulating a coinflip somehow.

Well, that doesn't take much 😋

Ah, I don't recall that anymore. I just remember feeling that Sherlock was insultingly stupid to not think about the possibility of the taxi driver being involved when clearly a taxi was involved. It was one of the changes over the original story, and while the originals have their moments of lucky guessing, they never made Holmes behave conveniently stupid just to get a showdown. EDIT: Actually, I couldn't bet on that, having read only about half of them.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:22:41 am by Asper »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: May 31, 2018, 02:34:00 pm »

On a more positive note, I watched Re:Mind... most of it twice. Really fun show, weird in a good way. It definitely exceeded my expectations after the first episode.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1047 on: May 31, 2018, 03:02:33 pm »

Death Note

On a more positive note

Yeah, definitely a more positive note.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: June 24, 2018, 11:28:11 pm »

WHY ARE WE NOT DISCUSSING WESTWORLD?
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: June 25, 2018, 07:48:10 am »

WHY ARE WE NOT DISCUSSING WESTWORLD?

cause it's not on netflix. (or at least not on the german netflix.)
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.