Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279310 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
Re: TV shows
« Reply #1000 on: March 19, 2018, 01:44:32 pm »

Huh, whoops. I guess somehow I jumped from S2E1 to S3E1 of Black Mirror, so it's like a Christmas present before I start Black Museum.

Which is fitting since one of the episodes is called White Christmas.

Time to unwrap my present then.

What did you think about the present?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: March 20, 2018, 12:05:36 pm »

Huh, whoops. I guess somehow I jumped from S2E1 to S3E1 of Black Mirror, so it's like a Christmas present before I start Black Museum.

Which is fitting since one of the episodes is called White Christmas.

Time to unwrap my present then.

Overall, I liked it. White Bear was simply amazing. I loved the WTF moment of the opening, and I also loved having the rug pulled out from under me when they showed what was really happening. The outtakes at the end with the different perspectives were also a treat. I also liked White Christmas a lot, though I admit it was longer than it needed to be. Or rather, I felt that it dragged in parts even though the concept was great.

I'm not in love with the Waldo Moment. It was an interesting take on how a fictional character could become a phenomenon. I suppose it's almost like a modern retelling of Max Headroom, minus the cyberpunk trappings.

And as promised, I concluded with the Black Museum. It was a good story, and I enjoyed the connection between the characters. The Easter eggs with props from previous episodes were unnecessary, but I admit that it was still interesting to recognize some of them. I'm glad that it didn't require watching those episodes to enjoy this one. They're just little bonuses.

I finished Travelers. It ended on another cliffhanger, but I saw that they are filming season 3. I feel like they may be painting themselves into a corner here soon. It may go down the path of Continuum.

I started on season 1 of Altered Carbon and season 2 of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. I need to pick one to finish up, I think. But now that I have free time again, I may be able to finish both.
A man has no signature

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: March 20, 2018, 12:26:22 pm »

I find the implications of Black Museum and White Christmas fairly terrifying. Those are serious dystopias. Both of them have more suffering in them than we even have the capacity for right now.

Have you seen Hated by the Nation? That's probably my favorite.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1003 on: March 20, 2018, 01:07:59 pm »
+1

And what will you think about the future?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: March 20, 2018, 02:25:47 pm »

And what will you think about the future?

If I base it on the Black Mirror universe, very fucking depressing.

My wife caught some episodes, and she was surprised when I watched one with a happy ending.

I did like Hated in the Nation. It was really just a basic crime-drama episode, but the execution of the plot was just so wonderful.

One reason I like Black Mirror is because it is dark. It's like Tales from the Crypt but not as hokey, though the hokeyness was part of that show's charm.

Oh yeah, I'm also in the middle of Phillip K. Dick's Electric Dreams. Similar in concept to Black Mirror. I don't think the episodes are quite as good, but there are some good ones. Bryan Cranston's episode was pretty good. I also liked the one which was pretty much Amazon on steroids after humanity practically got wiped out.
A man has no signature

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: March 20, 2018, 07:00:26 pm »

I did like Hated in the Nation. It was really just a basic crime-drama episode, but the execution of the plot was just so wonderful.

Yeah. Also the lead detective has the coolest accent ever.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: March 21, 2018, 09:53:17 am »

I just watched San Junipero and Hated in the Nation. Those were pretty good episodes.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: March 23, 2018, 01:11:59 pm »

So I realized there have been only two mentions of the syfy show the magicians in this thread and that is a travesty. After watching episode 9 of this season (a musical episode) I have decided the magicians has usurped game of thrones as the show I am most excited to see more of. The show has gotten better every single season which is what excites me the most. Season one hooked me with an enjoyable world to watch and plot to follow, season two impressed me with its ability to weave in small sub-plots about the struggles of becoming an adult and real world issues people face, and season three has shown the writers/producers understand their characters well and are really honing in on what makes the show great.

The cast is fantastic and has gotten better each season. It's great when you see relatively new actors go from thinking "I'm the silly character" or "I'm the serious character" so I should act like this or that to "I'm X character and this is how they would act". The depth of emotions portrayed has really improved to the point of being moved to tears and knee slapping glee multiple times.

From what I know (haven't read the books but heard lots about them and read some summaries) the show seems to have gone totally off the rails from what the book did, especially this most recent season so I would encourage any book readers to try the show as well.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: March 23, 2018, 01:58:15 pm »

I actually have seasons 2 and 3 of the Magicians languishing on my DVR. I enjoyed the first season, but I wasn't sure that I was into it enough to continue watching.

But I may reconsider that now.
A man has no signature

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: March 23, 2018, 04:21:21 pm »

I actually have seasons 2 and 3 of the Magicians languishing on my DVR. I enjoyed the first season, but I wasn't sure that I was into it enough to continue watching.

I am curious what kept you from being into it? I will say I had all of season 1 and 2 to watch when I started and binged through both seasons very quickly.
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113

The_Wine_Merchant

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: TWM
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: March 23, 2018, 04:28:28 pm »

From what I know (haven't read the books but heard lots about them and read some summaries) the show seems to have gone totally off the rails from what the book did, especially this most recent season so I would encourage any book readers to try the show as well.
They are very different. And both very good. I think the biggest difference, which impacts how the characters interact and thus the story lines is that in the books the students are right out of high school. In the show they are in a "graduate" school.

I haven't minded the divergence from plots. The tone and philosophy (which is what drew me into the books) is very much the same. And I think I like the characters more as I can relate to them better in my current age than I could reading about kids right out of high school.
Wins: M91, M96, NM10, M98, M102, M105
Losses: M100, M103, M104, M109, M112

MVPs: M91, M96
Win percentage: 54.5 (6/11)

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: March 23, 2018, 04:40:42 pm »

They are very different. And both very good. I think the biggest difference, which impacts how the characters interact and thus the story lines is that in the books the students are right out of high school. In the show they are in a "graduate" school.

I haven't minded the divergence from plots. The tone and philosophy (which is what drew me into the books) is very much the same. And I think I like the characters more as I can relate to them better in my current age than I could reading about kids right out of high school.

Oh I didn't realize that about the books, I am sure I would feel the same as you. I am really happy with the things that I am guessing are different from the book due show character popularity. I especially like the most recent episode where they grab timeline 23 penny and marina. Its clear its because the characters are popular and I don't mind it at all. It allowed the arc for T40 penny to have real consequences and not have him get out of anything while allowing the character to still be active in our main story.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: March 23, 2018, 04:53:26 pm »

I am curious what kept you from being into it? I will say I had all of season 1 and 2 to watch when I started and binged through both seasons very quickly.

I'm not quite sure. Maybe I just couldn't identify with the students. And they seemed awfully whiny, kind of like why I feel that Rent is overrated.

But the Narnia/Wonderland story was wickedly twisted.

I'm sure I'll give it a go again. I only have so much television-viewing time, so my thresholds for shows have gotten lower. I gave up watching Gotham, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow, the Flash, and Supergirl for that reason. Interestingly enough, I did start watching the first two episodes of Black Lightning.
A man has no signature

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: March 23, 2018, 06:13:21 pm »

I'm not quite sure. Maybe I just couldn't identify with the students. And they seemed awfully whiny, kind of like why I feel that Rent is overrated.

But the Narnia/Wonderland story was wickedly twisted.

I'm sure I'll give it a go again. I only have so much television-viewing time, so my thresholds for shows have gotten lower. I gave up watching Gotham, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow, the Flash, and Supergirl for that reason. Interestingly enough, I did start watching the first two episodes of Black Lightning.

Yea I have a pretty large amount of viewing time as my wife loves all the shows as well (foot massages may be a factor). But I have taken to saving all DC/Marvel universe shows until we are in a show drought and then bingeing them to fill time.

I would say that the whinyness definitely gets less as time goes on. Margo is by far my least favorite character for the very reason that she is kind of always obnoxious but pretty much everyone else develops a wide range of emotions.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: March 25, 2018, 11:36:05 am »

Okay, I've seen them all. Black Mirror episodes, ranked:

19) The National Anthem
18) White Bear
17) Playtest
16) Men Against Fire
15) Arkangel
14) Metalhead
13) Be Right Back
12) Shut Up and Dance
11) The Waldo Moment
10) Black Museum
9) Nosedive
8.) Million Merits
7) The Entire History of You
6) White Christmas
5) Crocodile
4) Hated In The Nation
3) San Junipero
2) Hang the DJ
1) USS Callister

Reading reviews online, it seems I liked Crocodile quite a bit better than other people. Also, I don't know what it says about me that my three favorites are three of the only ones with broadly "happy" endings.

I liked that Black Museum added a potential "shared universe" element to many of the stories, perhaps even all of them... although I think that comic book might be suggesting 15 Million Merits is fictional, even within the Black Mirror universe. Which makes sense, since it's definitely the one that fits with the others the least.

Several had premises I thought were fascinating, but then went in boring or predictable directions: Arkangel and The Entire History of You are probably the most egregious offenders.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: March 25, 2018, 01:01:25 pm »

Ohh I need to do my own list! Yours is quite good, though.

Let's see...

19. Men Against Fire
18. Nosedive (I recommend watching this high)
17. Be Right Back
16. Arkangel
15. The Entire History of You
14. Crocodile
13. White Bear
12. The Waldo Moment
11. Playtest
10. The National Anthem
9. White Christmas
8. Black Museum
7. Metalhead
6. Hang the DJ
5. Fifteen Million Merits
4. San Junipero
3. USS Callister
2. Shut Up and Dance
1. Hated In The Nation

Several had premises I thought were fascinating, but then went in boring or predictable directions: Arkangel and The Entire History of You are probably the most egregious offenders.

Agreed. Meanwhile Men Against Fire was never fascinating to begin with. That's the only one which I think can rightfully be called generic.

I think USS Callister actually has the most significant plot holes, but it's so much fun.

What's wrong with The National Anthem?

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: March 25, 2018, 01:32:10 pm »

See, I really want to watch Black Mirror but I'm really turned off by the fact that it's TV-MA. The show sounds good but I don't need all that crap with it.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: March 25, 2018, 02:22:52 pm »

See, I really want to watch Black Mirror but I'm really turned off by the fact that it's TV-MA. The show sounds good but I don't need all that crap with it.
What's the problem? that it's too dark?

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: March 25, 2018, 03:14:50 pm »
+1

What's the problem? that it's too dark?

Well, I don't particularly prefer dark things but I don't always mind them. I haven't researched it thoroughly, but I know there is plenty of language and occasionally sexual content (explicit or not). Unless there's a really good reason, I watched the Trials and Nurmeburg, it's not worth it.

Also, I don't want this to devolve into a discussion on my standards for why I wouldn't want to watch a show with half a dozen f bombs.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: March 25, 2018, 06:33:38 pm »
+1

Edit: I think you can watch 1, 7, and 18 (on my list) based on avoiding sexual content. If you don't want swearing then don't watch any.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 06:39:12 pm by silverspawn »

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: March 25, 2018, 06:45:32 pm »
+1

Also, if you're avoiding sexual content, stay far far far far far away from the National Anthem.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: March 26, 2018, 09:07:36 am »

I think that the intent behind the dialogue in Black Mirror would be more pernicious than any f-bombs. It's generally a bleak show. Even the episodes with happier endings tend to have grim moments.

The show deals with dark elements such as extortion, murder, slavery, rape, oppression, censorship, xenophobia, jealousy, capital punishment, corruption, and greed. These are far more uncomfortable to watch than any f-bombs they throw in there. Really, if you're going to tackle those terrible tenets, then there's no point in being shy about f-bombs. 

I'm a little surprised to see White Bear so low on Rob's list. What about that episode didn't you like? I rather liked the mental screw that took the audience for a ride (main reason why I show people Dark City while fast forwarding past the spoilerific narration at the beginning).

I'm also a little surprised about Silverspawn ranking Nosedive so low. Why no love for that? Though it admittedly is a bit derivative of 15 Million Credits.
A man has no signature

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: March 26, 2018, 09:24:14 am »

I'm also a little surprised about silverspawn ranking Nosedive so low. Why no love for that? Though it admittedly is a bit derivative of 15 Million Credits.

It felt like everything was done basically in the obvious way starting from the concept, sort of like Archangel. Just underwhelming compared to most other episodes.

But it gets points for showing a future that's very different from the present and still plausible.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: March 26, 2018, 10:02:40 am »

It's also being tried in a limited capacity in China. I find the real-world implications interesting, and I hope that my credit score is never tied to how patriotic I am.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: March 26, 2018, 10:04:52 am »

I'm also a little surprised about Silverspawn ranking Nosedive so low. Why no love for that? Though it admittedly is a bit derivative of 15 Million Credits.

Meowmeow beans!
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.