Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279309 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: TV shows
« Reply #975 on: December 06, 2017, 12:47:44 pm »

So I finally watched American Gods, and it was fantastic. Unfortunately Fuller has left the project, so Season 2 will be made under someone else. I'm guessing style will change. I think it will still be good, though.

I also watched Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. Highly entertaining. I also didn't realize it was based on Douglas Adams novels.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: December 06, 2017, 12:57:15 pm »

So I finally watched American Gods, and it was fantastic. Unfortunately Fuller has left the project, so Season 2 will be made under someone else. I'm guessing style will change. I think it will still be good, though.

I also watched Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. Highly entertaining. I also didn't realize it was based on Douglas Adams novels.

Are you me

I love both series and Dirk Gently is on air right now! It is just one of the best, although soundtrack of second season is much worse than in 1st, since Cristobal left. If you enjoyed Dirk, I highly recommend you watching the British version and also Utopia.
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: December 06, 2017, 01:10:34 pm »
+1

I like the treatment of Dirk Gently. It is its own story, separate from the books, but it's absurdly charming. Or charmingly absurd. It's interesting how season 2 is a completely different story from season 1. The recurring characters are there, but they've also evolved.

I was a little uncertain about the seemingly unrelated fantasy scenes in season 2, but I knew there was a connection (ha!), and I was not disappointed. I actually like it better now, especially seeing the weird nuances of the fantasy world (e.g., scissors for swords).

This week's episode paid homage to Adams. For one, a character wore a jacket with 42 on it. This may seem like a coincidence, but also in the episode, a character makes reference to a hoopy frood. Nice.
A man has no signature

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: December 23, 2017, 10:48:15 pm »

OK, I've now watched the first 4 episodes of the first season of the current Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.

I like the show a lot. But, two things.

• It's about 10 times as violent as I expected. This is fine, and it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of it. It's just something that surprised me.

• OK, now for my actual complaint. The one character I hate is Dirk Gently himself. I can't help but think that the show would be more enjoyable if Dirk Gently was more like Dirk Gently instead of a manic idiot. And by "more like Dirk Gently", I of course mean more like his character in the books. If memory serves, he was a sort of private eye / con-man type. Smart. Knowledgeable. Not a moronic Doctor Who wannabe.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: December 23, 2017, 11:34:34 pm »

OK, I've now watched the first 4 episodes of the first season of the current Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.

I like the show a lot. But, two things.

• It's about 10 times as violent as I expected. This is fine, and it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of it. It's just something that surprised me.

• OK, now for my actual complaint. The one character I hate is Dirk Gently himself. I can't help but think that the show would be more enjoyable if Dirk Gently was more like Dirk Gently instead of a manic idiot. And by "more like Dirk Gently", I of course mean more like his character in the books. If memory serves, he was a sort of private eye / con-man type. Smart. Knowledgeable. Not a moronic Doctor Who wannabe.

True, indeed, that was my reaction as well for the first some episodes. But they put a lot into development of his character and i came to like him a lot in the end. Who really pissed me off is Farah. She just is a worst actress i have ever seen in my life. I don’t believe any word she says or any action she does.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: December 24, 2017, 02:05:32 am »

Ironically enough, Dirk Gently was really a character I wasn't interested in. It was everyone else who interested me. I enjoyed some of his moronic lines, but it's true that it's not the Dirk Gently I envisioned. The whole Blackwing thing gives Dirk a bit of an explanation, and the second season makes that whole thing a lot more interesting than it was in the first.
A man has no signature

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: December 24, 2017, 06:10:39 am »

I said this already, but I think the show has simply nothing to do with the source material. The story is not at all similar and Dirk Gently is not at all similar.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: December 24, 2017, 02:24:45 pm »

No, it really isn't. There was a reference to Thor once, which could have been a nod to the books, but it was a real tenuous connection. They could've used any name for Dirk. I'm thinking they banked on attracting the Adams fans on the name alone while keeping them hooked with the wacky story and quirky humor. And as far as this Adams fan is concerned, it worked. It's not the books, but I love the stories and the characters.

I was a little off-put by the end of season 1. I felt it was an unnecessary cliffhanger, but they handled it pretty well when season 2 began, though the seeming non sequitur of the fantasy world was odd, but that's really what the whole show is about. It's full of seemingly unconnected points that do cross over at some point.

Bart is still my favorite, though Mona is pretty fun too.
A man has no signature

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: December 24, 2017, 04:10:17 pm »

No, it really isn't. There was a reference to Thor once, which could have been a nod to the books, but it was a real tenuous connection. They could've used any name for Dirk. I'm thinking they banked on attracting the Adams fans on the name alone while keeping them hooked with the wacky story and quirky humor. And as far as this Adams fan is concerned, it worked. It's not the books, but I love the stories and the characters.

I was a little off-put by the end of season 1. I felt it was an unnecessary cliffhanger, but they handled it pretty well when season 2 began, though the seeming non sequitur of the fantasy world was odd, but that's really what the whole show is about. It's full of seemingly unconnected points that do cross over at some point.

Bart is still my favorite, though Mona is pretty fun too.

Bart is good and Mona is, but Rowdy 3, man!

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: January 10, 2018, 08:03:58 pm »

Anyone else watching the new season of Black Mirror? I just finished the first episode and it was pretty great.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: January 11, 2018, 12:06:18 pm »

Anyone else watching the new season of Black Mirror? I just finished the first episode and it was pretty great.
Obsessed with Black Mirrors. So far I have felt this was the worst season. I thought episode one had amazing potential but ended really boringly. I mean the idea that the patch locked him in the game since he was in the game as it patched made no sense. Also if he was going to get locked in the game why did it matter for them to break in and steal the DNA, and what happens to the character that "sacrificed" himself.

Episodes 2 and 3 were also on the lower end of overall episodes but episode 4 is on of my favorites so I have faith for the rest of the season.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

crax

• Coppersmith
  • they/them pronouns but nbd if you mess up
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: January 15, 2018, 03:48:34 pm »

I haven't watched the new season of black mirror yet, and I'm trying to get my family to watch it with me (they haven't watched any). should I start with the new season since it'll be new to all of us, or what previous episode(s) should I start on?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: January 16, 2018, 10:00:34 am »

I haven't watched the new season of black mirror yet, and I'm trying to get my family to watch it with me (they haven't watched any). should I start with the new season since it'll be new to all of us, or what previous episode(s) should I start on?

It's an episodic show like the Twilight Zone. I suppose one could argue that they're in a shared universe, but that seems really unlikely.

You could start at the beginning, though it's pretty gross. Friend of mine grew up on a farm, so she was especially grossed out by it. It's a good episode that should be watched eventually, but you could honestly come back for it later.

I really liked Nosedive, USS Callister, San Junipero, and Hang the DJ. The others tend to be pretty good. Even the lackluster ones are better than the crap out there.
A man has no signature

crax

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: January 16, 2018, 10:30:10 am »

It's an episodic show like the Twilight Zone. I suppose one could argue that they're in a shared universe, but that seems really unlikely.

You could start at the beginning, though it's pretty gross. Friend of mine grew up on a farm, so she was especially grossed out by it. It's a good episode that should be watched eventually, but you could honestly come back for it later.

I really liked Nosedive, USS Callister, San Junipero, and Hang the DJ. The others tend to be pretty good. Even the lackluster ones are better than the crap out there.

yeah, I don't want to watch the first episode with my family. san junipero was the one that I started with, I might do that and then move on to season 4.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: January 16, 2018, 11:03:22 am »

The wife and I just started watching Electric Dreams, which is available on Amazon. I'm surprised it hasn't attracted more attention; it's an anthology series (like Black Mirror) based on Philip K. Dick stories. It's exceptionally good, and features an all-star cast in each self-contained episode: Bryan Cranston, Steve Buscemi, Liam Cunningham, Anna Paquin, Maura Tierney, Greg Kinnear, and others all appear.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: January 16, 2018, 11:10:31 am »
+1

The wife and I just started watching Electric Dreams, which is available on Amazon. I'm surprised it hasn't attracted more attention; it's an anthology series (like Black Mirror) based on Philip K. Dick stories. It's exceptionally good, and features an all-star cast in each self-contained episode: Bryan Cranston, Steve Buscemi, Liam Cunningham, Anna Paquin, Maura Tierney, Greg Kinnear, and others all appear.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: January 16, 2018, 02:09:36 pm »

Black Museum definitely ties several episodes to a single universe.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: January 16, 2018, 02:35:08 pm »

Ah, the one (and half of Metalhead) that I have left to watch.

I'm excited about Electric Dreams. I will probably plug that in when I have finished Black Mirror. I love me some Dick, so this anthology thrills me.
A man has no signature

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: January 16, 2018, 03:45:37 pm »
+2

Yep, that was my favorite episode of the season by far and really tied everything together. The episodes are definitely meant to be connected in a shared universe and I like to think of them chronologically as:

The National Anthem/Shut Up and Dance (most believable to our world, no advanced technology)
Playtest/Be Right Back/Crocodile/Arkangel (the early development of later technologies, people are still amazed by the technology and it all appears new)
The Waldo Moment/Hated in the Nation (early evidence of political unrest and use of technology by the government)
White Bear/Men against Fire (advanced use of mind altering technology and dystopian societal elements)
USS Calister/Nosedive/Hang the DJ (Grain technology is now widely available to the public and controls social elements like gaming, dating, social media)
The Entire History of You (Grain technologies have advanced greatly, to recording life)
White Christmas (the Grain technology becomes mandatory and cookie technology is advanced)
San Junpiero (cookie/grain technology is as far advanced as we see)
Black Museum (References the advance of neurotechnology, it contains artifacts from White Bear, Crocodile, Arkangel, Hated in the Nation, and UUS Calister, the names of the rats are also a reference to Shut up and Dance.)
Metalhead (the technology has advanced and become weaponized in the form of Dogs, probably the farthest chronological episode.)

15 Million Merits (this one is really hard to place because of the sheer number of easter eggs relating to this. I have read lots of theories, one suggestion is that Mia from Crocodile builds the building, her architecture plans look like the building and the bikes would link to her tramatic experience hitting the biker, next we see an ad for Abbi's performance during the Waldo Moment so we have to assume it is really happening and would directly place the episode during the Waldo moment. The problem with this is that the whole situation seems very unfortunate and unlikely to be happening voluntarily and in Black museum we see a character reading a comic about 15 million merits indication the whole thing is a fictional story. The second theory I like more is that similar to Hang the DJ, this is a cookie simulation but for the purpose of creating entertainment as opposed to employing actors. The biking is purely the way to generate credits so the cookies stay looking attractive.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: January 16, 2018, 09:42:21 pm »

Huh, whoops. I guess somehow I jumped from S2E1 to S3E1 of Black Mirror, so it's like a Christmas present before I start Black Museum.

Which is fitting since one of the episodes is called White Christmas.

Time to unwrap my present then.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: January 27, 2018, 09:57:12 pm »

I watched Mosaic (limited series on HBO). The first couple episodes seemed a bit.. trite, maybe, but it ended up getting very interesting. It's by Soderbergh, and it definitely has his style.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: February 12, 2018, 09:55:50 am »

I'm on like the 10th episode of Travelers. It's a neat concept, and I like what they've done with it, but it's far from airtight. Slightly spoiler-y with concepts that become apparent early on but major spoilers are hidden.

The issues I have are mostly related to increased drama. If these problems didn't exist, then the show would be more boring, so I get why they did these things, but I feel like the writers could've done something different with them.

First off, I'd imagine that it'd be easier to teach the travelers to cut themselves off from their hosts' former lives. Let the divorce happen. Emancipate the teenager. Leaving these people in their families' lives would impact the future, so just let the drifting away happen. Of course, that's really tricky to do with the entire family of travelers whose daughter wasn't taken over. After all, good luck not getting thrown in jail for abandoning your child.

But while that policy makes emotionless sense, it is perfectly understandable why Carly cannot just give up her baby. There was no emotional attachment to the baby at first, but any decent human being wouldn't be okay with leaving the baby with the father.  So even though it's truer to the original timeline, she can't let that happen.

But yeah, for all their talk of preserving the future as best they can, they're sure doing a great job of changing it by still being in their families' lives.

But I can forgive those. They do provide more drama, and it makes sense that humans would want to form bonds with other humans. The issue that bugs me because of its artificial drama is episode 6 with the antimatter beam being put in place. The elderly reinforcements follow that nonkilling protocol so closely that they do not kill any of the soldiers. Even though their actions will result in the soldiers' deaths anyway, they hold back and end up letting Major Gleeson threaten to jeopardize the mission.

But aside from those, I am enjoying the show.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: February 12, 2018, 11:52:39 am »
+1

I'm staying with a friend temporarily, and I came in the other day and they were watching what appeared to be a really bad soap opera. Turns out it was This is Us, and that show has some terrible, terrible acting. It's like the actors haven't actually experienced emotions before.

crax

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: March 19, 2018, 11:54:00 am »

Jessica Jones season 2... isn't great.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: March 19, 2018, 12:29:41 pm »

Jessica Jones season 2... isn't great.

Who would’ve thought. First one was on edge, second I didn’t even start

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 21 queries.