Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279333 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: TV shows
« Reply #925 on: August 18, 2017, 08:21:29 pm »

Watching The Defenders now.  On episode three or four. It's enjoyable so far.  It is a bit.. heavy handed in some ways.  Like characters state the subtext in dialogue.  And I have a bit of trouble immersing into the premise of Sigourney Weaver as a bad guy.  I don't know why.  It's not like she's ever a bad actress; I just have a problem seeing her as evil. (Not really a spoiler I guess.)

I think I like Jessica Jones the best.  And of course Scott Glenn (as Stick) is great.  I like Daredevil and Luke Cage quite a bit.  Iron Fist is still iffy, but I think better when he's playing off the rest of them.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: August 19, 2017, 12:35:33 pm »
+1

Curious what people thought of Fargo. I loved the first and third season, but absolutely hated the second. Most people seemed to really like the second one, though.
I haven't seen the 3rd; it's not on Hulu yet. The 1st season was way better than the 2nd. I would put it down to, the show is leaning very heavily on its characters for entertainment, and the 1st season had entertaining characters and the 2nd didn't. The only character in season 2 that I was interested in having screen time was Milligan, and there wasn't much of him. It's not like I thought say Kirsten Dunst did a bad job, or that her part wasn't written well. I just didn't get much entertainment from those scenes; they weren't doing the job I watch TV for. The Gerhardts were just solid awful. Lou was blank.

I did think that the "police chief says let's ignore evidence because that guy was a wuss in high school" thread in the first season was really stupid.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: August 19, 2017, 06:33:33 pm »

Oh man, I liked all the characters in Season 2.  I thought it was very entertaining. 

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: August 20, 2017, 02:34:33 pm »

Just finished Ozark and Aquarius, recommend both highly.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

crax

• Coppersmith
  • they/them pronouns but nbd if you mess up
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: August 30, 2017, 07:21:40 pm »

Watching The Defenders now.  On episode three or four. It's enjoyable so far.  It is a bit.. heavy handed in some ways.  Like characters state the subtext in dialogue.  And I have a bit of trouble immersing into the premise of Sigourney Weaver as a bad guy.  I don't know why.  It's not like she's ever a bad actress; I just have a problem seeing her as evil. (Not really a spoiler I guess.)

I think I like Jessica Jones the best.  And of course Scott Glenn (as Stick) is great.  I like Daredevil and Luke Cage quite a bit.  Iron Fist is still iffy, but I think better when he's playing off the rest of them.

I watched all eight episodes of The Defenders, and loved it. Jessica Jones was also my favorite, maybe partly because she was the only one whose show I had watched beforehand. Iron Fist gets a little intense ,, when he doesn't need to? I got a little annoyed with him.
With Colleen (spoilers through last episode), they totally sidelined her. They put her in with the others at the station, and there was some talk about her joining the fight, but that didn't happen for a little while and then the defenders kind of pushed her out of the way and she had a harder time swordfighting than she needed to. I would've liked if she was given a little more power.
I'm watching Daredevil now because of The Defenders, and I like it so far (though I've only watched most of the first episode).

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: September 03, 2017, 10:06:59 pm »

Holy shit that Twin Peaks finale.  I really don't know what to say.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: September 09, 2017, 12:38:37 am »

Bojack Horseman is a pretty good television show.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: September 12, 2017, 02:01:20 pm »
+1

Bojack Horseman is a pretty good television show.

It's so so good. Haven't watched season 4 yet but 3 was a masterpiece.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: September 25, 2017, 06:52:44 pm »

Finally saw Morty's Mind Blowers on Rick and Morty. These were so, so, so, so, so, so much better than Interdimensional Cable. I was worried about episode 8 of this season because that seemed to be the trend, and they bucked it by having something good for once.
A man has no signature

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: September 26, 2017, 12:28:15 am »

Finally saw Morty's Mind Blowers on Rick and Morty. These were so, so, so, so, so, so much better than Interdimensional Cable. I was worried about episode 8 of this season because that seemed to be the trend, and they bucked it by having something good for once.

The first Interdimensional Cable episode was pretty funny, but the second felt like an unnecessary rehash. I did really like Morty's Mind Blowers though, it felt like there was a point to the episode beyond just being silly.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: September 26, 2017, 08:18:22 am »

When I got into Rick and Morty, I watched the episodes as they were thrown out there in repeats. As a result, I saw the second interdimensional cable episode. This may have tainted my view of the first one, but I thought the first one also sucked.

Now the side arcs were amusing enough. In fact, the first one incorporated the concept of interdimensional cable into the side arc, and that arc was pretty good. It's just that most of the alternate cable shows were painful to watch. I'd rather pop Stay Tuned into the VCR, which means finding a VCR and a bargain bin. 

I do believe that the second one may have had worse scenes than the first, but I couldn't tell you without rewatching them, and I'd rather not.
A man has no signature

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: September 26, 2017, 08:31:21 am »

I liked them both.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: September 26, 2017, 09:12:33 am »

I just learned that the second season of Dirk Gently begins Oct 14. Looking forward to that.

I wasn't a fan of how they ended the first season. I felt that it was an unnecessary cliffhanger, but that is sadly the norm of TV series nowadays.

Maybe that's why I don't like it for Dirk Gently. It is certainly not the norm, so it shouldn't need to rely on something as pedestrian as cliffhangers.
A man has no signature

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: September 26, 2017, 06:43:25 pm »

I just learned that the second season of Dirk Gently begins Oct 14. Looking forward to that.

I wasn't a fan of how they ended the first season. I felt that it was an unnecessary cliffhanger, but that is sadly the norm of TV series nowadays.

Maybe that's why I don't like it for Dirk Gently. It is certainly not the norm, so it shouldn't need to rely on something as pedestrian as cliffhangers.

That post-ending ending was just awful. It did nothing but say "c'mon season 2," and either commits them to a much worse path than "any great new adventure they can think of" or else cheating to get rid of it.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: September 27, 2017, 03:44:48 am »

I know most of you all are down on Gotham.  Can you tell me why I shouldn’t be enjoying it?  I’m almost done with Season 1 and find it perfectly cromulent.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: September 27, 2017, 08:19:47 am »
+1

I know most of you all are down on Gotham.  Can you tell me why I shouldn’t be enjoying it?  I’m almost done with Season 1 and find it perfectly cromulent.

It gets worse.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: September 27, 2017, 09:33:03 am »

It gets worse.

I stopped after season 2. I had all of season 3 on DVR, and I started to watch it last week. I can't say that it was bad because I didn't get far enough to make a judgment call. I simply realized that I no longer cared enough about the show, so I deleted the season.

It's not that I disliked the show. I just have other shows that are higher on my list, and I know I'll never get to Gotham. I'd have to be bedridden for months before I catch up on all the shows I had an inkling for. So I'm not terribly saddened to hear that Gotham gets worse. It actually makes my decision easier.

Actually, no, that's right, seeing Fish Mooney at the beginning of season 3 added to my ennui. I always disliked that character (not sure if it's the actress' fault or the director's). That was a contribution knowing that she's back.

Despite my tepid responses to superhero television (stopped the CW shows and have a perma-hiatus on SHIELD), I set my DVR to record the Inhumans. Here's hoping.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: September 27, 2017, 09:33:54 am »

I really could not stand Fish Mooney.  The rest wasn't so bad, really.

The_Wine_Merchant

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: TWM
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: September 27, 2017, 01:13:37 pm »

When I got into Rick and Morty, I watched the episodes as they were thrown out there in repeats. As a result, I saw the second interdimensional cable episode. This may have tainted my view of the first one, but I thought the first one also sucked.

Now the side arcs were amusing enough. In fact, the first one incorporated the concept of interdimensional cable into the side arc, and that arc was pretty good. It's just that most of the alternate cable shows were painful to watch. I'd rather pop Stay Tuned into the VCR, which means finding a VCR and a bargain bin. 

I do believe that the second one may have had worse scenes than the first, but I couldn't tell you without rewatching them, and I'd rather not.
The first one is so good when watched immediately after the previous two episodes which are emotionally devastating for Morty, Rick Potion #9 and Raising Gazorpazorp, so maybe that is why you didn't enjoy it as much? The actual scenes on the interdimensional cable are really, just background for the conflict going on internally in Morty and Summer.

In my opinion it has the best scene from all of Rick and Morty.

Also the little clip of tall Tyrion Lannister was hilarious.
Wins: M91, M96, NM10, M98, M102, M105
Losses: M100, M103, M104, M109, M112

MVPs: M91, M96
Win percentage: 54.5 (6/11)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: September 27, 2017, 01:29:57 pm »

The first one is so good when watched immediately after the previous two episodes which are emotionally devastating for Morty, Rick Potion #9 and Raising Gazorpazorp, so maybe that is why you didn't enjoy it as much? The actual scenes on the interdimensional cable are really, just background for the conflict going on internally in Morty and Summer.

In my opinion it has the best scene from all of Rick and Morty.

Oh no, don't get me wrong. Like I said, the actual stories from those episodes were good, and it was obvious that the first one was about alternate cable, as Jerry and Beth got hooked on viewing their alternate selves. But those shows. Ugh.

Morty's Mind Blowers > Interdimensional Cable >>> Interdimensional Cable 2 >>>>>> Family Guy's Conway Twitty gag
A man has no signature

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: September 27, 2017, 03:19:13 pm »

This is us and American Horror Story underway.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: September 29, 2017, 04:03:42 pm »

Let me know how you like American horror story, I've always thought it would be a good change of pace from the typical shows the wife and I watch.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: September 30, 2017, 07:41:22 am »

Let me know how you like American horror story, I've always thought it would be a good change of pace from the typical shows the wife and I watch.

It's a different theme/storyline each year with a rotating set of actors. It is intentionally and overtly violent, sexually gratuitous, macabre, and mystical. It generally highlights one or two specific areas of discomfort for a season. This year is trump politics and coulrophobia. It's pretty much straight up my alley; I watch every season.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: September 30, 2017, 06:16:14 pm »
+1

So I am now on season 2 of Bojack Horseface. For some reason, the Vincent storylines are tickling me. I think it's just how utterly absurd it is, and all the things he says to try to sound grown-up. I mean, running a business factory. That's pretty serious.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: September 30, 2017, 06:54:59 pm »

So I am now on season 2 of Bojack Horseface. For some reason, the Vincent storylines are tickling me. I think it's just how utterly absurd it is, and all the things he says to try to sound grown-up. I mean, running a business factory. That's pretty serious.

Ha, that was one of my favorite subplots.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.