Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279464 times)

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
Re: TV shows
« Reply #800 on: March 24, 2017, 08:13:05 pm »

The latest crossover with Supergirl was epic.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: March 27, 2017, 09:36:22 am »

I'm way behind on the DC shows. I just finished the invasion crossover. I had heard fairly negative things, but I thought it was okay. Not great by any stretch. Merely okay. Perhaps the negative comments kept me grounded so I didn't expect much out of it. Still, it was pretty cool to see the heroes working together. And according to my DVR, I still have a ways to go before I'm caught up.

You Legion fans may be happy to know I'm showing support for the show. I watched the first episode on FXNOW. I intend to watch the other episodes as well. It is my hope that my belated decision to watch in streaming may be a benefit to the show. I'm not currently a Nielsen household, but they surely know that I'm watching their show through their app. I hope that means something to them.

Hell, the streaming app is probably better for them since I couldn't fast-forward through those commercials. Speaking of which, I saw an amusing negative review for the FXNOW app. The person whined about too many ads; the point of these television apps is NO COMMERCIALS! Yeah, I don't think that guy understands how television works.

I enjoyed the episode of Legion I saw. It was trippy and hard to follow, which is probably why it'll eventually get canned. I don't have a high regard for the intellectual capacity of the average television viewer. But maybe I'll be proven wrong. There were some really cool shots in that episode, despite the fact that the slo-mo flying bodies shtick was already old after the Matrix movies. It was a pretty intense episode, and I look forward to seeing more.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: March 27, 2017, 12:29:10 pm »

So Walking Dead.  An interesting thing I noticed compared to the comics. (Spoilers include both comic and show.)  It's quite clear that Sasha is getting the Holly treatment.  She'll be dead by the end of the finale, 100% guaranteed.  The (attempted) rape scene plays out almost exactly as in the book in terms of dialogue, but I interpreted the comic scene to be very different.  In the comics, I got the impression that Negan was actually surprised at what he saw and was pissed off, and then really lost control and killed the guy out of anger.  In the show, it looked like he completely expected to walk in on this. (This is based on the way Jeffery Dean Morgan delivered the lines, his body language, etc.) I believe that show Negan allowed David around Sasha (maybe even putting him on guard duty) because he knew exactly what kind of person David was and what David would do.  So he basically set this up to (1) kill David, which he knew he'd end up doing eventually, and (2) the more important part, put on a show for Sasha that the Saviors aren't such bad guys.  It adds an extra level of manipulation to Negan.

Also the Eugene development (quite different from the comics) is pretty interesting.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: March 31, 2017, 07:40:44 pm »
+1

One Punch Man is hilarious, can't believe I went so long without watching it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: April 03, 2017, 12:19:04 am »
+1

I started reading the manga after I caught up on the anime.  I'm still not entirely sure of the manga update schedule.  It seems sporadic.

Speaking of funny... Rick and Morty season premiere.  Amazing as always.

Dylan32

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dylan32
  • Respect: +145
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: April 03, 2017, 02:45:03 am »
+2

I started reading the manga after I caught up on the anime.  I'm still not entirely sure of the manga update schedule.  It seems sporadic.

Speaking of funny... Rick and Morty season premiere.  Amazing as always.

"Abort! We never left his Shoney's! WE NEVER LEFT HIS SHONEY'S!"
Forum Mafia Record - Wins: 14 - NM9, M97, RMM41, M99, M102, M104, M119, M126, RMM56, M133, M134, RMM58, RMM59, RMM61, RMM60; Losses 15 - RMM37, M89, M94, M95, M96, M100, RMM47 M109, M110, M120, M127, M129, M131, M132, M136; MVPs: 1 - NM9

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: April 04, 2017, 01:23:18 pm »

Okay, all caught up on Legion, even though the DVR somehow didn't record episode 8. Fortunately, I was able to see it on demand.

Very cerebral. Kind of like a long trip of Being John Malkovich. I'll be surprised if it can maintain the ratings to justify the budget, but we shall see.

Still digging Powerless, though I'm a couple episodes behind.
A man has no signature

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: April 04, 2017, 01:32:10 pm »

Started 13 Reasons Why.

It's intriguing in a tweeny, glorify suicide, consistently inconsistent main character sort of way.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: April 05, 2017, 04:33:59 am »
+1

Finished Iron Fist and it appears I'm in the minority: I really like it.  A few reasons:

--ninjas are always awesome
--strong female characters, especially Colleen, Joy, and Gao, which most all of the superhero genre lacks
--mystical stuff is a good counter to science experiments/mutants/aliens
--Stan Lee sneak cameo, Hogarth, Luke Cage nod were all fun

I'd rank it after DD and above all other shows.  Yeah, Danny wasn't the strongest actor, but the rest were good, the tai chi + Kung fu stuff rocked, and I liked the hectic fight scenes.

Plus, Rza directed an episode!
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: April 16, 2017, 12:18:45 am »

Final season of The Leftovers starts tomorrow.  If you're not watching this show you're a bad person and you should feel bad.

I still think International Assassin (S2:E8) is one of the best things I've ever seen on film or television.  I'm excited to see if this season can match it

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: April 16, 2017, 03:21:44 pm »

Watching the start of Doctor Who series 10 tonight!
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: April 17, 2017, 08:05:17 am »

I've been binge-watching Better Call Saul. I finished episode 2 of the second season. These seasons only have 10 episodes, so I should catch up fairly quickly.

I honestly didn't have high expectations for a spin-off series. While I liked Saul in Breaking Bad, I wasn't convinced that a whole series about his "rise" to power would be that interesting.

But they've got some quality writing with some great performances. I'm happy with it. Apparently, my assessment that the season 1 finale was weak sauce is a point of contention among my friends, but I still feel that it was pretty weak, especially compared to the rest of the season. Fight me.

Starz is really ramping up the promotions for American Gods. I had considered holding off on subscribing to Starz so I could binge-watch the entire season with only one month's subscription, but I think I may end up subscribing anyway to keep up with it. The casting is really solid, but the fact that it's by Bryan Fuller is the clincher for me. It seems only logical that this move should be rewarded by throwing money at it.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: April 17, 2017, 09:52:36 am »

Better Call Saul is great.  The acting is incredible, and the storytelling is engaging and immersive for things that you wouldn't think would be interesting to watch on television on their surface.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: April 21, 2017, 05:05:36 pm »

Final season of The Leftovers starts tomorrow.  If you're not watching this show you're a bad person and you should feel bad.

I still think International Assassin (S2:E8) is one of the best things I've ever seen on film or television.  I'm excited to see if this season can match it

Total agreement. The first season was merely good, the second season was one of the best seasons of TV ever. I love this show.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: April 21, 2017, 05:15:03 pm »

Total agreement. The first season was merely good, the second season was one of the best seasons of TV ever. I love this show.

The first season was amazing; the second season was amazinger.

The premiere was wow.  This show has a way of eliciting feelings/reactions from me that no other show has done.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: April 21, 2017, 09:38:54 pm »
+1

Are you guys seconding Leftovers or Assasin (because it's impossible to tell from the quote)?
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3190
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: April 22, 2017, 03:08:51 pm »
+1

Only 85 days until Game of Thrones continues!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: May 01, 2017, 10:56:10 am »

I did watch the premiere of American Gods last night. Just a caveat: I read the book 15 years ago and am dismayed at how much I have forgotten. As a result, I'm approaching this show with enough ignorance to be surprised by some of the minor scenes but not as a neophyte. Therefore, I'll talk about the show itself with some passing references to the book. I simply do not remember the book enough to make a side-by-side comparison.

Is it worth getting Starz to watch American Gods? Considering that a season is only eight episodes, you could subscribe for two months (maybe three) and catch the entire season. During that time, you can watch the Force Awakens, the new Ghostbusters, and other movies. Starz is one of the cheaper premium channels, so it may be worth it to throw money at them for a couple of months. If you're still uncertain, you could wait until all eight episodes have aired and subscribe for one month so you can stream it. It might even work with the 7-day trial period.

But is it a good show? If the premiere is any indication, I think it is, but it won't be for everyone. The story is weird. It's not Dirk Gently weird, but it tells a tale of old gods trying to stay relevant in modern America. Gods of sex and war must contend with new gods of media and technology. You're going to see some wacky stuff here.

Another possible obstacle for the show is its pacing. I don't even know if the entire book is told in these eight episodes, but I suspect not. It plods along much like Man in the High Castle, which was also not written as a television show. It is very much full of style, but it's not sacrificing substance for style. The substance is still there, but Bryan Fuller wants you to appreciate his vision, and his vision is grand.

The show is full of absurd violence. It's not a direction I would have considered, and I could see this working against the show. It has its fair share of gritty fights that may evoke scenes from Fight Club, but it also has visually incongruous scenes of violence. The blood is vibrant in contrast with the dark look. The first death of the series is so ridiculous that I feel even Quentin Tarantino would think it was over the top.

But you know, it works. Bryan Fuller is an accomplished creator, and he's working with a great book. Even better, his cast is phenomenal. They bring these outlandish characters to life in a way that we don't even care how absurd the scenes get. This is about faith in America, and there is no pussyfooting about.
A man has no signature

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: May 01, 2017, 11:20:24 pm »
+2

I got to meet Damon Lindelof! Lindelof was a showrunner for Lost (my favorite show of all time) and is now one of the showrunners for The Leftovers. Funny story, I was line for Samantha Bee's White House Correspondents Dinner after party, and I turned around, and he was in line behind me. I got a picture: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10108265063473363&set=a.10106087774537843.1073741838.2259319&type=3&theater

Also, I saw Ali Larter (from Heroes) and Alia Shawkat (Maeby from Arrested Development) at the party.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: May 01, 2017, 11:34:29 pm »

I got to meet Damon Lindelof! Lindelof was a showrunner for Lost (my favorite show of all time) and is now one of the showrunners for The Leftovers. Funny story, I was line for Samantha Bee's White House Correspondents Dinner after party, and I turned around, and he was in line behind me. I got a picture: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10108265063473363&set=a.10106087774537843.1073741838.2259319&type=3&theater

Also, I saw Ali Larter (from Heroes) and Alia Shawkat (Maeby from Arrested Development) at the party.

Awesome! I hope you told Damon all about how better they'd been of on that island had they brought scout with them.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: May 04, 2017, 01:12:47 pm »

I started reading The Expanse series; finished the first book (Leviathan Wakes) and on the second Caliban's War) now.  They're really good and compelling reads.  The show has done a good job as well; season 2 just finished up about a month ago.  It's especially well done for a SyFy channel show.

Calamitas

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Calamitas
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: May 04, 2017, 03:43:19 pm »

Only 85 days until Game of Thrones continues!
26 days until House of Cards continues (and we get the whole season!)
Oh, i just don't like mafia games.

Town (5/9): M85, RMM35, M87, NM9, M90RMM38, M92, M91, M102,
Scum (3/3): M84, M88, M100

MVPs (1): M84

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: May 10, 2017, 07:13:44 pm »
+1

Binged Sense8 season 2... I think it's my favourite show now.  The cast is phenomenal, the mythology is intriguing, the action sequences are tight, its very concept is enough to elevate simple and generic plots into something unique and compelling.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3190
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: May 16, 2017, 03:32:53 pm »

Binged Sense8 season 2... I think it's my favourite show now.  The cast is phenomenal, the mythology is intriguing, the action sequences are tight, its very concept is enough to elevate simple and generic plots into something unique and compelling.

Really surprised to read you say this. I really thought it just wasn't a good show, once you get behind the very expansive production and cool setting and mature approach and eight different story lines (and the opening credits!)... which admittedly takes about a season. But once you do and it has to rely on the actual writing-

simple and generic plots

- ... yeah, exactly.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: May 17, 2017, 08:43:38 am »
+1

Three episodes into American Gods, and I can see the potential of losing some audiences. This show moves at a glacial pace. I'm okay with it (for example, I really enjoy Unbreakable, which is also incredibly slow), but it's going to lose a lot of people. Hopefully the fans will be enough to keep the show going.

And any homophobes who may have been watching at the beginning will be checking out now, but who gives a fuck about homophobes anyway?
A man has no signature
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.