Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279103 times)

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
Re: TV shows
« Reply #725 on: February 14, 2017, 11:28:39 am »

Edit: How did Rick get his revolver back?

Fat Joey had it.  In the midseason finale, Daryl takes it from Fat Joey after killing him.  He gives it back to Rick when the reunite in the last scene.

Ah, thanks for that. I'm sure it registered at the time but it got lost in the meantime.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: February 14, 2017, 11:39:08 am »

Fat Joey had it.  In the midseason finale, Daryl takes it from Fat Joey after killing him.  He gives it back to Rick when the reunite in the last scene.

Ah, thanks for that. I'm sure it registered at the time but it got lost in the meantime.

I am confused on where Carl got his gun, though.  If it was shown, I missed it.  They made a point of saying they have exactly two when they hand them over at the Kingdom.  Did Negan let Carl keep a gun when he brought Carl back?  Seems unlikely.  I suppose Carl could have just picked one up at the Hilltop (assuming they have a handful), but everyone else could have as well.  Maybe Hilltop could only spare one.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: February 14, 2017, 01:53:37 pm »

You guys see Legion? First episode was pretty good, second one out tomorrow.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: February 14, 2017, 02:00:20 pm »

You guys see Legion? First episode was pretty good, second one out tomorrow.

Yeah, I mentioned it briefly above.  Really good and strange.  Left a lot of things unclear.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: February 17, 2017, 08:04:21 pm »

So Powerless is, like, really cheesy, but I somehow find it very funny.  I find myself actually laughing a lot throughout

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: February 22, 2017, 11:10:37 am »

Tried a few shows recently. I see that I've been living in a GoT/True Blood/Breaking Bad bubble as I complained about the entire cast of the Dirk Gently's series being disproportionately attractive, since that seems to be the case pretty much all the time. What's worse is that you can figure out which characters are important and which aren't based on their appearance, sometimes. Maybe the US military should start up some programs to improve soldier appearance, that seems to be a really effective way to avoid getting killed!

Anyway, I've seen the series of unfortunate events, the dirk gently show, van helsing, and now started stranger things. I dropped How to get away with Murder and The Returned. I found all of the last three to be really well made and highly entertaining, but none of them to really be great or anything (Van Helsing came the closest, but it was also the most stupid at times). The bottleneck is always the writing. I see attempts to break away from predictable patterns here and there, but way too much is still the old crap.

I'm pretty sure I'm not a representative viewer, otherwise the priorities would be different. Based on a relatively small sample size, it seems to me like the industry has been improving in various ways like directing, but only very marginally in actual story telling.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: February 22, 2017, 01:14:59 pm »

Pretty sure This is Us is stealing the storytelling title this year.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: February 22, 2017, 01:21:49 pm »

I gave the first episode of Riverdale a shot. I knew it'd be darker than the Archie comics, so none of the subject matter surprised me.

It definitely has a Twin Peaks vibe to it, especially the opening. It even starts off with a presumed-dead teenager at the water.

I suspect that it won't get as weird or supernatural as Twin Peaks. I'm not sure that it'll keep my interest otherwise. There's a lot of teen angst in it, and that only interests me for a little while. I may continue on with it and see how I feel.

I will say that it's an interesting hybrid of style. While the show ostensibly takes place in modern day, there are elements of the '50s that are fused into the setting: Old tailfin cars and malt shops can be found here. Considering David Lynch's obsession with merging the past with the present, it just adds even more to the Twin Peaks vibe.
A man has no signature

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: February 22, 2017, 04:35:19 pm »

Finished stranger things. Eh, the show is stupid. Pretty much every plot point was resolved in the most predictable and chliche way possible (small sort-of exception is the the handling of the Nancy lovestory), and it's as bad about important character invulnerability as it gets. The way it casually throws away lives of background characters is probably the worst part – each one of those has his own family too... I think altogether the last two episodes were disappointing, I could have still been more interesting.

Nonetheless still fairly enjoyable.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: February 22, 2017, 04:53:37 pm »

So what's with so many different TV shows now being remakes of old movies?

Fargo
Westworld
Evil Dead
Frequency
The Exorcist
School of Rock
Scream
A Series of Unfortunate Events (I know this was a book series before being a movie, but it was still a movie).
Bates Motel

I'm sure there's more.

I mean, there's always been movies that spawned TV shows; that's not new... it just seems like right now; a lot of the currently popular TV shows are based on (somewhat old) movies.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Calamitas

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Calamitas
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: February 22, 2017, 07:03:56 pm »
+1

Tried a few shows recently. I see that I've been living in a GoT/True Blood/Breaking Bad bubble as I complained about the entire cast of the Dirk Gently's series being disproportionately attractive, since that seems to be the case pretty much all the time. What's worse is that you can figure out which characters are important and which aren't based on their appearance, sometimes. Maybe the US military should start up some programs to improve soldier appearance, that seems to be a really effective way to avoid getting killed!

Anyway, I've seen the series of unfortunate events, the dirk gently show, van helsing, and now started stranger things. I dropped How to get away with Murder and The Returned. I found all of the last three to be really well made and highly entertaining, but none of them to really be great or anything (Van Helsing came the closest, but it was also the most stupid at times). The bottleneck is always the writing. I see attempts to break away from predictable patterns here and there, but way too much is still the old crap.

I'm pretty sure I'm not a representative viewer, otherwise the priorities would be different. Based on a relatively small sample size, it seems to me like the industry has been improving in various ways like directing, but only very marginally in actual story telling.
Did you watch House of Cards? If not, start.
Oh, i just don't like mafia games.

Town (5/9): M85, RMM35, M87, NM9, M90RMM38, M92, M91, M102,
Scum (3/3): M84, M88, M100

MVPs (1): M84

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: February 23, 2017, 11:31:03 am »

Also a remake.

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +211
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: February 23, 2017, 01:36:54 pm »

I gave the first episode of Riverdale a shot. I knew it'd be darker than the Archie comics, so none of the subject matter surprised me.

It definitely has a Twin Peaks vibe to it, especially the opening. It even starts off with a presumed-dead teenager at the water.

I suspect that it won't get as weird or supernatural as Twin Peaks. I'm not sure that it'll keep my interest otherwise. There's a lot of teen angst in it, and that only interests me for a little while. I may continue on with it and see how I feel.

I will say that it's an interesting hybrid of style. While the show ostensibly takes place in modern day, there are elements of the '50s that are fused into the setting: Old tailfin cars and malt shops can be found here. Considering David Lynch's obsession with merging the past with the present, it just adds even more to the Twin Peaks vibe.

I've seen the first three episodes. I've found it interesting enough so far. It's like Twin Peaks meets Dawson's Creek with Archie references. I think I just appreciate how bizarre that kind of premise is. It's not doing anything groundbreaking though. I probably wouldn't watch it if my wife wasn't into it, but it's not something I'm suffering through by any means.

Finished stranger things. Eh, the show is stupid. Pretty much every plot point was resolved in the most predictable and chliche way possible (small sort-of exception is the the handling of the Nancy lovestory), and it's as bad about important character invulnerability as it gets. The way it casually throws away lives of background characters is probably the worst part – each one of those has his own family too... I think altogether the last two episodes were disappointing, I could have still been more interesting.

Nonetheless still fairly enjoyable.

I think this is exactly what stranger things was going for though. Stranger Things wanted to recreate the feeling of the eighties films it homages. It's pure nostalgia. From this perspective, cliches and predictability become almost a feature rather than a flaw. That doesn't mean they couldn't have done more interesting or surprising things with these formulas, but that'd make it a different kind of show.

So what's with so many different TV shows now being remakes of old movies?

Fargo
Westworld
Evil Dead
Frequency
The Exorcist
School of Rock
Scream
A Series of Unfortunate Events (I know this was a book series before being a movie, but it was still a movie).
Bates Motel

I'm sure there's more.

I mean, there's always been movies that spawned TV shows; that's not new... it just seems like right now; a lot of the currently popular TV shows are based on (somewhat old) movies.

This isn't unique to TV, either. Almost all mainstream media is derivative today: Superhero stuff, Harry Potter, live-action remakes of Disney animation, huge advertisements for popular toys, etc.

Of the top 10 highest grossing films for the past 3 years (2016, 2015, 2014) only 4 are original intellectual properties. The rest are remakes, reboots, or sequels. And many of the sequels are almost like remakes (Spectre shares a lot with OHMSS, The Force Awakens is A New Hope in a blender, Rogue One is an adaptation of the opening crawl of Star Wars), and in the case of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 it's a sequel to a reboot of an adaptation.

So, I think the answer is, this stuff makes money and is pretty reliable. Even terrible movies and shows still make money because people like the original stuff. If the money's practically guaranteed, why wouldn't people do it?

That said, I don't think this has to be as terrible as it sounds. For example, both seasons of Fargo are phenomenal and I think a lot of that awesomeness is the result of them trying to capture the tone and interests of the original film. I even think derivative stuff can result in stronger shows and movies because they can focus their efforts on more specific parts. They don't need to develop a new world or figure out the tone of their movie or invent tons of new characters, so they can focus their resources on the other parts (script, directing, cinematography, etc.)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: February 25, 2017, 07:20:48 am »

I think this is exactly what stranger things was going for though. Stranger Things wanted to recreate the feeling of the eighties films it homages. It's pure nostalgia.

Fair enough, then I'm just not quite the right audience.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: February 27, 2017, 12:31:45 am »

Watched the second and third episodes of Powerless. Definitely getting a little better. Probably still too niche to be popular, but I can hope.

Things I've definitely appreciated upon further viewing of the show:

* No goddamn laugh track.
* Some dark humor.
* The best opening credits of any television show ever.
A man has no signature

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: February 28, 2017, 09:48:51 am »

The recall scenes prior to Hostiles and Calamities showed Rosita shooting the homemade bullet into Negan's bat (which would have never stopped the bullet IRL, and if it had the bullet would not have been lethal to begin with, but I digress) and Eugene getting captured. I was like, whoah, whoah, wait a minute, WTF?! I looked this particular scene up and sure enough this happened at the end of Episode 8. I pulled 8 up and I'll be damned if I hadn't stopped watching it right about the time Rick gets back from the boat expedition. Which means I missed 3 people getting killed and of course, the final scene where Rick gets his revolver back.

Mystery solved.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: February 28, 2017, 10:05:50 am »

Watched the second and third episodes of Powerless. Definitely getting a little better. Probably still too niche to be popular, but I can hope.

Things I've definitely appreciated upon further viewing of the show:

* No goddamn laugh track.
* Some dark humor.
* The best opening credits of any television show ever.

I don't know if I'd say they're the best opening credits, but I do like them.  Maybe they're in the same category as others.  There are really some quality openers:

The Leftovers
True Detective
Twin Peaks
Walking Dead
Daredevil
Mademen
Game of Thrones

.. probably many others I'm forgetting.  True Blood's opener was actually really good.. it was probably the best part of it, really; setting the mood that the show failed to deliver on in a lot of ways.  I really like Community's; the song is catchy and kind of haunting.. both happy and sad, and nostalgic.

I guess if we go way back, shows like Cheers, Friends had pretty perfect opening credits for their respective shows. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: February 28, 2017, 10:07:27 am »

I've been rewatching Twin Peaks in anticipation of the revival.  Damn fine show.

I also watched Santa Clarita Diet.  Really good, definitely worth watching.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: February 28, 2017, 02:21:14 pm »
+1

Man, since I watch Adam Ruins Everything on Tru TV (fun show), I accidentally caught Impractical Jokers a couple of times. Is anyone actually entertained by this show? I get that it's these guys basically daring each other to do dumb stunts at the expense of other people, but half the time they show the actual stunt and the other half is just three guys laughing hysterically. Who cares about them laughing?

Granted, I see potential with the stunt where a guy is giving a presentation to an audience with no knowledge what the slides will be. That type of humor has been better done with Whose Line Is It Anyway?

This show and 2 Broke Girls just make me wonder what really counts as humor for some people.
A man has no signature

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: March 02, 2017, 03:21:23 pm »

Two episodes so far.

The problem I have with that show is that I'm not sure yet whether I enjoy watching a bunch of assholes wrecking other people's careers in order to get power. It does score well on everything I've critiqued earlier, though, and it seems to be well written. I'll probably watch at least a bit more.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 02, 2017, 03:25:59 pm »

Also caught up on Taboo; the finale was Tuesday.  It's pretty fantastic. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: March 02, 2017, 11:43:04 pm »

These week's episode of Legion was fantastic.

Spoiler: Jerome from Flight of the Conchords is in it!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: March 05, 2017, 05:04:46 pm »
+1

I'm really impressed with sense8's opening theme. Everyone should watch it. It'll only take you about a minute!

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: March 05, 2017, 07:49:27 pm »

I'm really impressed with sense8's opening theme. Everyone should watch it. It'll only take you about a minute!

I mean, I like the show quite a lot and I am clearly not the target audience.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: March 05, 2017, 07:50:08 pm »

Watched the first episode of OA. It's certainly intriguing so far.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 22 queries.