Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279121 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
Re: TV shows
« Reply #700 on: January 27, 2017, 11:04:07 am »

It's a Netflix original, and it's gotten rave reviews. I saw the first episode. It's neat, though I feel it doesn't live up to the hype. Perhaps subsequent episodes will justify the hype. Maybe the hype is just too big to be met. In any case, I'm interested enough in the first episode to continue watching it. It has a very Bryan Fuller feel to it. Others have compared it to Tim Burton, but I feel that Fuller's style is far subtler, yet ubiquitous.

I do admit to being annoyed by the percussive reminders that this is a series of unfortunate events. If you haven't turned back by now, you should seriously consider turning back if you want a happy story. I'm hoping that was just the first episode. Very fun theme song, though.

Interesting, I also didn't know it was popular.

The author reminds you usually twice in each book, once at the beginning and once close to the end, which isn't that often.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: January 27, 2017, 11:16:07 am »

It's a Netflix original, and it's gotten rave reviews. I saw the first episode. It's neat, though I feel it doesn't live up to the hype. Perhaps subsequent episodes will justify the hype. Maybe the hype is just too big to be met. In any case, I'm interested enough in the first episode to continue watching it. It has a very Bryan Fuller feel to it. Others have compared it to Tim Burton, but I feel that Fuller's style is far subtler, yet ubiquitous.

I do admit to being annoyed by the percussive reminders that this is a series of unfortunate events. If you haven't turned back by now, you should seriously consider turning back if you want a happy story. I'm hoping that was just the first episode. Very fun theme song, though.

The author reminds you usually twice in each book, once at the beginning and once close to the end, which isn't that often.

I heard that the series is basically two episodes per book. I could not confirm that.

But considering how often they smacked you with that disclaimer in just the first episode, they clearly thought it was an amusing conceit which they promptly made less amusing.
A man has no signature

The_Wine_Merchant

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: TWM
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: January 27, 2017, 11:39:49 am »

The Shannara Chronicles

Bad. Bad. So bad. Game of Thrones for tweens. Just bad.

Huh, I heard positive comments, but it was a small sample size. I've not read the books and have nothing vested in this series. I just heard it was neat. It hasn't been high on my priority list, so it could possibly fall off.

I've read the books (they were my introduction into fantasy literature and continue to love them) and had a pretty vested interest. Now maybe it improved after episode 3 or 4 when I gave up, but man it was pretty dreadful on every level especially compared to other fantasy shows of a similar vein: Game of Thrones, the Magicians, Jonathan Strange.

But I knew it was going to be a stretch the moment I heard that MTV was producing it.
Wins: M91, M96, NM10, M98, M102, M105
Losses: M100, M103, M104, M109, M112

MVPs: M91, M96
Win percentage: 54.5 (6/11)

The_Wine_Merchant

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: January 27, 2017, 11:40:30 am »

The Shannara Chronicles

I would absolutely disagree. I thought it was great.

That's cool. Do you feel that it got better after the first few episodes? I think I stopped watching after the met the aunt on the coast.

JaketheBaseballGod22

• Steward
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: January 27, 2017, 11:47:24 am »

The Shannara Chronicles

I would absolutely disagree. I thought it was great.

That's cool. Do you feel that it got better after the first few episodes? I think I stopped watching after the met the aunt on the coast.
I think it progressively got worse but I thought overall it was pretty good. Still nowhere close to game of thrones and magicians though.
Baseball For Life
Mafia Record Overall (6-14) 30%

Town Wins (4-11) 26.7% M88L, M89L, NM9L, M91L, M95L, M97L,NM10W, RMM41L, M100L, M103L, M105W, M107W, RMM45W, M109L, RMM46L

Scum Wins (2-3) 40% M87L, M94W, ZM23L, M99L, ZM24W

MVP's: None

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: January 27, 2017, 12:55:26 pm »

Shadowhunters is also terrible.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: January 27, 2017, 12:55:56 pm »

As for DC, if you can hold out for the crossover, things get so much better.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: January 27, 2017, 01:16:25 pm »

I heard that the series is basically two episodes per book. I could not confirm that.

But considering how often they smacked you with that disclaimer in just the first episode, they clearly thought it was an amusing conceit which they promptly made less amusing.

There is also a movie covering the first three books – though I assume the series is independent. Have you seen it?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: January 27, 2017, 02:57:31 pm »

There is also a movie covering the first three books – though I assume the series is independent. Have you seen it?

I had heard that it took elements from other books, but I didn't know the exact details. You refer to the Jim Carrey movie, right?

It's been a while since I've seen it (holy crap, has it really been 13 years?), so I can't remember that much about it. It didn't immediately go into my mind's rubbish bin, which is a good accomplishment for a Jim Carrey movie, but I never bothered to buy it on DVD, so it wasn't great enough to be memorable for me.
A man has no signature

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: January 27, 2017, 03:18:41 pm »

I also really want to watch the Series of Unfortunate Events, just need to figure out when to begin the binge....
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: January 27, 2017, 03:44:35 pm »

I had heard that it took elements from other books, but I didn't know the exact details. You refer to the Jim Carrey movie, right?

Yup

I watched the first episode of the show – I'd say it's better than the movie. It's over the top in a charming way and I'm sold on most character portrayals.

The exception is Lemony Snicket – I like the style of narrating, but I really dislike him being this smug, well-dressed guy. It doesn't seem to fit at all.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: January 27, 2017, 04:42:06 pm »

As for DC, if you can hold out for the crossover, things get so much better.

Flash return from the break was easily the best episode of the season, by far.  Fantastic.

The_Wine_Merchant

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: January 27, 2017, 04:46:27 pm »
+1

The exception is Lemony Snicket – I like the style of narrating, but I really dislike him being this smug, well-dressed guy. It doesn't seem to fit at all.

Just close your eyes and imagine that it is Kronk.

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: January 27, 2017, 08:50:50 pm »
+1

Just close your eyes and imagine that it is Kronk.

This actually made me burst out laughing.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: February 05, 2017, 08:58:39 pm »

So, Taboo.  Four episodes in, and it's awesome.

Also, Expanse is back on!  I enjoyed the opening a lot.  There is still some, uh... wooden? dialogue/writing/acting/whatever.  Still good, especially by SyFy standards.

I'm really disliking Flash more and more :(  Everything with Wally bothers me, and, like.. every time a faster-than-sound hero comes into contact with a bad guy they always stop, clearly announce their intentions to apprehend said bad guy, and then get 'blindsided' by the bad guy.  Like, just take the dude, strip him completely bare, throw him in a cell or pit, and then ask questions. 

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: February 05, 2017, 09:15:38 pm »

So I watched Powerless. It is a cute concept, but I honestly don't see it sticking around. Then again, I couldn't imagine making a series based on the Spirit of Christmas and now South Park is 20 years old, so what do I know?

The humor wasn't great, but it gave me some legitimate laughs, so that's good. The effects look pretty cheap, which is what I would expect for a half-hour comedy show that premieres in February. I won't hold that against them. I'd continue watching it, but I'll be surprised if it gets much farther.

My latest surprise is checking out Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. I had seen praise for this show from people I trust. I finally broke down and watched the first nine episodes. While the story boils down simply to a neurotic woman making really poor decisions, the situations are presented in amusing ways, including an average of two musical numbers per episode. The musical numbers are quite jaded and clever. They are far better than Galavant's musical numbers.
A man has no signature

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: February 05, 2017, 09:44:17 pm »

I'm loving practically everything about the Dirk Gently series. Not sure there's actually a part I dislike.

I'm a bit late, but I started watching this. Marathoned the first 5 I think episodes yesterday.

I'm fearful it won't stay good for much longer. The first two episodes were great because they were insane and unpredictable and mysterious, but now they've gradually uncovered all mysterious things and now it has to rely on actual writing, and the writing itself doesn't seem to be that clever. Still it was good so far.

Also I read the book – the original dirk gently's holistic detective agency (another one that I didn't know was popular enough to get an adaption). The similarities are minuscule. It's a different appeal, story, feeling, and a totally different cast. Both may have a character called Dirk Gently but he's not at all similar. Usually I'd say they just want to cash in from the success of the book, except again is there really that much to cash in on?

Here is a thing to dislike: the lottery ticket arc just disappeared into nothing? Isn't that a big deal? He did get it back. I assume he cashed it in, otherwise I have to question how he can afford anything. But that really should have been shown.

Well that and the entire cast is comprised of way too attractive people (common flaw, but still) and every non-likable character who doesn't qualify as a proper villain seems to get killed super quickly while everyone who's important has plot-invulnerability. I guess in this case, for a show which isn't very serious, this could be excused.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: February 06, 2017, 02:48:45 am »

So, Taboo.  Four episodes in, and it's awesome.

Also, Expanse is back on!  I enjoyed the opening a lot.  There is still some, uh... wooden? dialogue/writing/acting/whatever.  Still good, especially by SyFy standards.

I'm really disliking Flash more and more :(  Everything with Wally bothers me, and, like.. every time a faster-than-sound hero comes into contact with a bad guy they always stop, clearly announce their intentions to apprehend said bad guy, and then get 'blindsided' by the bad guy.  Like, just take the dude, strip him completely bare, throw him in a cell or pit, and then ask questions.

Is Expanse only on network for now, or does Netflix have it back yet?  I have to wait for Netflix.

On the Flash -- I mentioned before I thuought the first episode back after the break was one of the best in a LONG time.  Especially how they're dealing with Iris's future death, and for once Iris's acting was spot on.  I'm going to lose it if/when Joe finds out and breaks down because he's easily the best actor on the show and I totally buy his love for his kids thing....

I think your thing with Wally is like my thing with Wally, in that we like a sidekick usurping the hero who we've invested ourselves in for 2.5 seasons. I mean, they've clearly had Wally on the "will be faster than Flash really fast" track all this time.

I love HR Wells, plus Cisco.

Sidebar: latest Legends was fantastic.  Legion of Doom!

Side-sidebar: Supergirl just gets worse and worse.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: February 06, 2017, 02:49:36 am »

On Powerless -- needs more Abed.  I'll watch it until it gets cancelled.

Anyone watching/watched Travelers on Netflix?  I like it.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: February 07, 2017, 02:30:36 am »
+1

Spent the whole night watching Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. Couldn't stop. It is a masterpiece, one of the best series I have ever seen!
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: February 12, 2017, 04:58:35 pm »

Walking Dead tonight tonight tonight tonight.

Also, Legion on FX.  Quite a premiere.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: February 14, 2017, 09:52:29 am »

Watched the first two episodes of Powerless.  I quite liked it.  Basically the same impression as Kuildeous.. concept and premises of the jokes are pretty good, and I'm happy to see Danny Pudi and Alan Tudyck back in a show.  It's like nice casual/relaxing TV watching.  I would not be surprised if it doesn't last, though.  It would be nice if it did.  IMDB is fairly harsh on it, but those boards are toxic (which is why they're getting shut down), so I don't know how accurate of a barometer that is.

It does remind me of Better Off Ted.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: February 14, 2017, 10:42:45 am »

Was pretty let down with the WD episode. I mean, decent continuation of story arc but I felt the scene where Alexandria petitions the Kingdom was very unrealistic and contrived and seemed to involve entirely too little deliberation. The scene with the cable between cars mowing down hundreds of zombies was fun in a comic book way but wholly unrealistic. The ending scene where Rick smiles was pretty great. I'm pretty sure what he sees is an army of people with guns who he can leverage against the saviors. I felt almost all of the scenes with Morgan fell totally flat. The scene with Carol seemed a pointless use of time that could have been better spent fleshing out the Ezekiel deliberation. Also, wtf, no Negan, that's just not fair. Whatever Gabriel is up to is intriguing.

Edit: How did Rick get his revolver back?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 10:44:06 am by pingpongsam »
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: February 14, 2017, 11:01:54 am »

I sort of agree on one thing:

The Carol scene didn't seem completely necessary. (Aside: I would have thought Benjamin would have mentioned to Carol that all her friends were here.  It was clear they were from the same group as Morgan, and by extension Carol.  It's possible Morgan asked him not to, but the meeting was coincidental.  I had actually assumed that was the entire point of the scene.)  However, it was used towards Ezekiel's deliberation, since Benjamin connects it to the decision. 

They could have shown more with Ezekiel, but they showed two close counsel's (Morgan, who he has taken quite a trust to), and Benjamin with opposing views.  We can assume he thought this over.  I guess they could have shown a scene of him not sleeping all night or something.  For me I was okay enough putting pieces together.  Though, I expected him to decide to join them.  (After all, in the comics he had basically already decided and was just waiting for it to become possible.)  I'm guessing it's going to come down to a death (Benjamin, Morgan, or Richard) to sway him, or Richard will preempt and force his hand.

Overall I really liked this episode.  More of the slow character and plot stuff that I prefer. 

As for Negan, I think he made one of his best contributions to the show so far, with the radio voiceover.  "Things will not be the same now that he's dead. Without Fat Joey, Skinny Joey is just … Joey. So it's a goddamn tragedy."   And "Just the other day we were joking about oral sex with Lucille." Seriously some of my favorite Negan lines so far.

Regarding some differences in show development vs comics, the changes seem more realistic.  In the comics, Alexandria had the arms (Negan comes to Alexandria for supplies and doesn't take a single weapon?), just not the numbers.  Hilltop people were still influenced by Gregory rather than Maggie at this point (side note: Will we get 'I believe in Rick Grimes' speech?), and The Kingdom was not presented as significant of an army as it is in the show.  So in the comics, Rick gets Ezekial for an immediate attack, but not the Hilltop, who end up coming in to save them at a pivotal moment.  There is also this new group (and possibly the shore group).  I think the show might have Rick initiating an attack with the new group, the Hilltop 'rebels', and the Kingdom may join in the manner that Hilltop does in the comics.  In any case, I think it's likely that a death is going to be what pushes Ezekial to join Rick.  It could also be the violence/potential fight we see coming in the preview for next episode, but I think that may be more building up.

Also, every seen with Ezekial is like my favorite thing ever.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: February 14, 2017, 11:03:02 am »

Edit: How did Rick get his revolver back?

Fat Joey had it.  In the midseason finale, Daryl takes it from Fat Joey after killing him.  He gives it back to Rick when the reunite in the last scene.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 21 queries.