Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279119 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: TV shows
« Reply #675 on: December 15, 2016, 11:37:04 am »

Black Mirror: I disagree with WW about Season 1, I think it's almost as good as Season2. Mostly due to E1 being one one of the best, along with the Christmas special (the 7th episode).

If you watched Black Mirror for its good scifi, you'll be disappointed by season 3, I believe. Imo, E4 was really well done, almost as good as the best. E1 was flawed but had its moments and the other were just downright offensive with their blandness and lack of creativity.

I think my impression was that I didn't quite know what it was before starting to watch; I didn't realize it was an anthology.  So a lot of S1:E1, I was struck thinking: "this is the start of the story for the entire show?"  Then when I saw Episode 2 I realized more what it was about.  But yeah, I do think Season 1 was quite good, though the episodes I mentioned (S2:E2 and S2:E4) were really intense viewings for me.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: December 16, 2016, 08:10:04 pm »
+2

S3:E1 is MeowMeowBeenz!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: December 18, 2016, 12:38:57 am »

Saw up through episode four of Season 3, which I agree was very well done.  I was left a bit unsure about what to think about S3:E3, but thinking more I appreciate it.  The thing that is really well done about this show is that the 'reveals' are not really the point, but they serve to make you go back and consider the entire episode, and the takeaway is different.  I liked S2:E2, especially because of the connection with the cell phone/mobile device on the airplane at the beginning and the phone being the issue in the end.  It really turns the entire episode from sort of run-of-the-mill scifi horror into really dark humor.

Anyway, so far (still have two episode in Season 3) I was more 'blown away' by Season 2 than the other seasons, in terms of the kind of emotional state I was left in after the episodes.  But they're all impressive. 

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: December 18, 2016, 03:25:27 am »

Season 3 of Flash has just not been great.  I thought Season 1 was done very well.  Season 2 had a lot of good components but too much contrived drama and contrived raising of stakes; Season 3 is more of the same, venturing into annoying contrived drama.

Finally caught up on my DC CW Universe shows (Supergirl, Flash, Arrow, Legends).  I agree that I haven't been impressed with Flash S3.  I will say that the crossover did finally kill that stupid Cisco hates Barry because Flashpoint killed his brother thing in a good way and now we can move on to better stuff.  I'm hoping they use the Caitlyn/Killer Frost stuff more, as that is always awesome.  I think what's actually taken away the most from The Flash being a good show this year is the stupid stop Wally from being Kid Flash silliness.  Just let it be.

Arrow got greater -- it was always my favorite of the shows and it doesn't disappoint.  Having another Walking Dead dead resurface is always nice.  Someday they need to just drop the flashbacks, though.  Legends isn't impressing me storywise, but the characters are great.  I like the Minority Report guy.  Supergirl is...still just a tweeny drama with aliens.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: December 19, 2016, 10:53:04 am »

Anyone watch Expanse?  Odd question about it...

So on Netflix (non-US edition), I am flipping through and find it.  It has the "Netflix Original" tag on it, and opens with the Netflix banner and everything, like Stranger Things, etc.

I start watching the first episode and it feels really familiar.  Then I realize I already watched that episode, when it was on Syfy!  So I Wikipedia it, and lo and behold, it's actually a Syfy original series.

Can Netflix re-brand properties like that, even when they are ongoing?  Syfy is making Season 2 now.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: December 19, 2016, 10:55:21 am »

Maybe Netflix is simply part of the production?  I believe there are other shows like this, that air on television and are also produced by Netflix.

Edit: Apparently, Netflix acquired it, at least for international distribution.  Odd that it would be branded 'original', though.

http://deadline.com/2016/10/space-drama-the-expanse-streaming-netflix-1201834745/
http://www.idigitaltimes.com/netflix-acquires-expanse-season-2-original-series-even-bigger-scope-562527
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 10:58:03 am by Witherweaver »

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: December 19, 2016, 10:57:22 am »

Maybe Netflix is simply part of the production?  I believe there are other shows like this, that air on television and are also produced by Netflix.

I don't think so, at least not in this case.

Like, I watched Grimm on Netflix and it didn't say anything about Netflix on it.  The only thing I can think of is rights where you are.

And a google search seems to support that theory:  https://www.reddit.com/r/TheExpanse/comments/5bgxh9/the_expanse_on_netflix_uk_is_listed_as_a_netflix/

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: January 01, 2017, 10:41:12 pm »
+2

The Six Thatchers. 'Nuff said.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: January 03, 2017, 11:28:59 am »

Venture Brothers Season 6 is on Hulu, and it's excellent. 

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: January 03, 2017, 01:05:15 pm »
+1

I rather liked this season. It was starting to feel a little stale prior to this. I like the move to NYC, and I like the stories that came about from that. Blue Morpho was especially humorous.
A man has no signature

The_Wine_Merchant

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: TWM
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: January 03, 2017, 01:21:00 pm »
+1

I felt it was one of the weaker episodes of the whole series. Not disappointing though as it was still very entertaining and well made. I think it had too little of the comedy element for my taste, which is what makes the previous episodes so great, the juxtaposition of comedy with drama.
Wins: M91, M96, NM10, M98, M102, M105
Losses: M100, M103, M104, M109, M112

MVPs: M91, M96
Win percentage: 54.5 (6/11)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: January 04, 2017, 09:28:02 am »

I rather liked this season. It was starting to feel a little stale prior to this. I like the move to NYC, and I like the stories that came about from that. Blue Morpho was especially humorous.

Yeah, and the Andy Warhol episode was genius.  Also everything with Brock and Warriana.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: January 05, 2017, 11:13:28 am »

I felt it was one of the weaker episodes of the whole series. Not disappointing though as it was still very entertaining and well made. I think it had too little of the comedy element for my taste, which is what makes the previous episodes so great, the juxtaposition of comedy with drama.
While there were parts I didn't like, I don't think it was one of the worst. The worst was definently a scandal in belgravia, and I don't know from there. Six Tatchers was probably right in the middle, and maybe a tad lower.

The_Wine_Merchant

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: January 05, 2017, 11:44:22 am »
+1

While there were parts I didn't like, I don't think it was one of the worst. The worst was definently a scandal in belgravia, and I don't know from there. Six Tatchers was probably right in the middle, and maybe a tad lower.

I actually really liked Scandal in Belgravia. But that is probably because Scandal in Bohemia is one of my favorite Arthur Conan Doyle stories. Mostly because of this episode of Wishbone (kid show in the US back in the 90s).

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: January 05, 2017, 11:48:43 am »
+1

I have trouble ranking Sherlock episodes, because I think they're all great.  Like I'm just happy to have each one. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: January 11, 2017, 10:13:32 am »
+1

So, The Lying Detective.  I thought it was great. 

The 'reconciliation' between Sherlock and John we of course knew was coming, but I think this succeeded in making it feel 'believable' on an emotional level.  I do think that we're starting to see 'power creep' in Sherlock's abilities... they kind of always need to top feats he's done before by making him more and more genius.   

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: January 11, 2017, 10:18:15 am »

Also started watching some Hulu shows:

Shut Eye: Jeffery Donovan plays a con-artist who runs a psychic business, which is a part of a larger crime organization.  He suffers some drama and starts experiences what appear to be real visions.  Mix between drama and dark comedy.  Not fantastic, but entertaining. 

Chance: Hugh Laurie plays a neuropsychologist who begins to explore a dark world after trying to help a patient.  Has a bit of an '8 mm' feel.  Very engaging; I haven't finished this yet.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: January 11, 2017, 07:10:43 pm »

So, The Lying Detective.  I thought it was great. 

The 'reconciliation' between Sherlock and John we of course knew was coming, but I think this succeeded in making it feel 'believable' on an emotional level.  I do think that we're starting to see 'power creep' in Sherlock's abilities... they kind of always need to top feats he's done before by making him more and more genius. 
I personnaly thought that made sense but my family said it was too unlikely. The episode was a little physchidellic especially with sherlock walking on walls and such.
Anyways, bummed I'm missing the final problem, have to watch that monday instead...

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: January 13, 2017, 07:55:10 pm »

Taboo on FX.  Premier was excellent.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: January 27, 2017, 08:19:53 am »

I'm not sure I feel like continuing the DC shows this season. I'm only three or four episodes into each one so far. I'm just not feeling the momentum to make it to the crossover episodes (which sounds like they were disappointing anyway).

Arrow seems okay enough, but the team-building is just a cycle, and I'm not feeling anything for the characters except Rag Man.
Flash is getting into desperate territory with a silly side arc. I'm not feeling the thrill from the first season.
Legends of Tomorrow was always goofy, so I actually don't feel disappointment with this show. It set a low but fun bar, and it's maintained that level consistently.
Supergirl is the one that still captures my attention. Maybe it's because the other characters pop a little more for me.

I probably wouldn't be feeling this way if I didn't have a growing list of shows I want to watch: Season 2 of Man in the High Castle, Series of Unfortunate Events, Season 2 of Kimmy Schmidt, the Shannara Chronicles, Black Mirror, Better Call Saul, Season 2 of the Expanse soon, Shadowhunters (don't judge; I know the lead actress and it's gotten decent enough reviews), and at least a couple seasons of Agents of SHIELD.

I mean it's good that I'm spending less time watching television. I feel like I may be at the point where I need to cull my viewing list, and I have more interest in several other shows than the DC universe.
A man has no signature

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: January 27, 2017, 09:07:27 am »

Crazyhead
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: January 27, 2017, 09:34:29 am »

Series of Unfortunate Events

?? :-o I didn't know there was a TV series! That's awesome! Well, if it's good, at least. The appeal of the books is hard to capture on screen I think.

The_Wine_Merchant

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: January 27, 2017, 10:04:57 am »

The Shannara Chronicles

Bad. Bad. So bad. Game of Thrones for tweens. Just bad.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: January 27, 2017, 10:56:21 am »

Series of Unfortunate Events

?? :-o I didn't know there was a TV series! That's awesome! Well, if it's good, at least. The appeal of the books is hard to capture on screen I think.

It's a Netflix original, and it's gotten rave reviews. I saw the first episode. It's neat, though I feel it doesn't live up to the hype. Perhaps subsequent episodes will justify the hype. Maybe the hype is just too big to be met. In any case, I'm interested enough in the first episode to continue watching it. It has a very Bryan Fuller feel to it. Others have compared it to Tim Burton, but I feel that Fuller's style is far subtler, yet ubiquitous.

I do admit to being annoyed by the percussive reminders that this is a series of unfortunate events. If you haven't turned back by now, you should seriously consider turning back if you want a happy story. I'm hoping that was just the first episode. Very fun theme song, though.

And hey, it has Neil Patrick Harris and Joan Cusack.

The Shannara Chronicles

Huh, I heard positive comments, but it was a small sample size. I've not read the books and have nothing vested in this series. I just heard it was neat. It hasn't been high on my priority list, so it could possibly fall off.
A man has no signature

JaketheBaseballGod22

• Steward
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: January 27, 2017, 11:02:31 am »

The Shannara Chronicles

I would absolutely disagree. I thought it was great.
Baseball For Life
Mafia Record Overall (6-14) 30%

Town Wins (4-11) 26.7% M88L, M89L, NM9L, M91L, M95L, M97L,NM10W, RMM41L, M100L, M103L, M105W, M107W, RMM45W, M109L, RMM46L

Scum Wins (2-3) 40% M87L, M94W, ZM23L, M99L, ZM24W

MVP's: None
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 22 queries.