Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279137 times)

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
Re: TV shows
« Reply #625 on: October 16, 2016, 05:54:42 am »

Watched 1st episode of Westworld. Amazing
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: October 16, 2016, 07:31:11 am »

I'm really excited to see how it unfolds.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: October 16, 2016, 07:34:35 am »

I'm really excited to see how it unfolds.

Right! I'm gonna watch Episode 2 today

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 17, 2016, 08:15:42 pm »

I've watched the first three episodes. I think it's very much worth a watch.

For the first two episodes I think they made it too clear that the hosts didn't have any own free will, which made all their storylines COMPLETELY worthless. Like, when the lone desperado guy got to Lawrence and his family. Threatening him meant nothing, as they were all artificial beings and it was pretty obvious he was going to kill them in the end anyways. It just took away all suspense for me. However I hoped that the storylines for the hosts would matter, since that's what the main part about the first episodes were about, especially the first one. And in the third episode, we got to see that clearly, they will matter.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: October 24, 2016, 05:42:50 am »

Watched Black Mirror Season 3.
Mixed feelings, will write about episodes separately.

E1: Awful. Good idea, but the awful realisation, awful actor play, awful going, awful ending, they're like throwing the message in my face. Didn't like it at all. Looked like they had an empty spot and shot the episodes in 5 minutes between shooting good episodes. 1/5
E2: And that was a surprise. After the first one, this episodes throws you in hell and you're sitting there watching without breathing and feeling every bit of it. Atmosperic, despairful, unbelievably good. The ending strikes. 5/5
E3: And you won't rest, the next episode holds you by your heart in the air. When Radiohead started in the end I felt like I'm gonna cry forever from this very moment. Also, Bronn here! The only minus: characters are really not like trustful, I don't think there is so much of a tragedy if something like this happens IRL, so 4/5.
E4: And again. I don't believe it, I don't like it, nothing really surprising and interesting (though still better than the first one). Nothing really to say here. 2/5
E5: This episode is very much like Black Mirror-ish. That's the perfect Black Mirror episode actually. Reminds me about White Bear episode, or the episode with bicycles and singing girl. Michael Kelly is one of my favourite actors and here he was spectacular. But again, nothing really struck me in the heart. so, 3/5.
E6: Guys. It's 10/5. No, 100/5. No, infinity/5. It's something. It is much like S01E01 but better actually. Music, actors, plot, shooting. Every jigsaw is in its place. I can't remember any piece of art being so good. I want to rewatch it thousands of times. Thanks to this episode I'm not disappointed in Netflix and I want more and more and more. Incredible.

In these two days of watching the series I felt so much fellings that I feel empty now, but I was not so happy from watching something for a while. Thanks, Netflix! Looking forward to S4!

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: October 24, 2016, 08:34:25 am »

I just saw Episode 1 of Black mirror and I mostly agree. I thought it was decently shot and the soundtrack was alright. I really liked how they incorporated the rating sound into the score that one scene. But the theme of the episode had me roll with my eyes. They didn't even do anything interesting with the super lame premise, why were you even shooting this? I'm ok with the ending though, I expected worse.

I didn't know they were releasing all episodes at once, so I'll be watching the other ones now :)

Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: October 24, 2016, 08:35:32 am »

I just saw Episode 1 of Black mirror and I mostly agree. I thought it was decently shot and the soundtrack was alright. I really liked how they incorporated the rating sound into the score that one scene. But the theme of the episode had me roll with my eyes. They didn't even do anything interesting with the super lame premise, why were you even shooting this? I'm ok with the ending though, I expected worse.

I didn't know they were releasing all episodes at once, so I'll be watching the other ones now :)

It's Netflix, they always release all the episodes at once :)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: October 24, 2016, 09:24:51 am »

So... Walking Dead Season 7 premiere.  That was pretty intense.  I'm happy with it.  Having already read the analogous storyline from the comics, I can't help but have expectations on how it would play out on the show.  I think the premiere was everything it should have been.  I think I even agree that this works better as a season premiere than a season finale.. it really is the start of something new.  I've also noticed that (not a true spoiler but whatever) losses in the show are much more impactful than in the comic book.  I think the live-action medium gives a fuller immersion into characters than the comics (at least for me), especially in cases when you've been seeing them for years.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: October 24, 2016, 01:37:33 pm »

So... Walking Dead Season 7 premiere.  That was pretty intense.  I'm happy with it.  Having already read the analogous storyline from the comics, I can't help but have expectations on how it would play out on the show.  I think the premiere was everything it should have been.  I think I even agree that this works better as a season premiere than a season finale.. it really is the start of something new.  I've also noticed that (not a true spoiler but whatever) losses in the show are much more impactful than in the comic book.  I think the live-action medium gives a fuller immersion into characters than the comics (at least for me), especially in cases when you've been seeing them for years.

I think I agree more with the complaints.  I think they should have killed Abe in the finale, then the Glenn death would have been a bigger surprise without all the theorizing all summer.  Mostly I wish there had been more forward plot movement, but I guess we all need time to process.  Glenn was my fav.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: October 24, 2016, 01:51:41 pm »

I think I agree more with the complaints.  I think they should have killed Abe in the finale, then the Glenn death would have been a bigger surprise without all the theorizing all summer.  Mostly I wish there had been more forward plot movement, but I guess we all need time to process.  Glenn was my fav.

I agree that the suggestion would have worked, perhaps even better, but I think how this was done worked as well.   Having it all in the premiere does allow for some things: the episode was really about taking Rick from the point of defiant vengeance to hopeless submission.  Of course we know Rick will fight, but at the end of the episode I can believe that Rick thinks it is completely hopeless: he can't even imagine how to fight against such odds.  This wasn't his initial reaction to both the deaths.  His initial reaction was "okay, you won this battle, but we will continue to fight".  Then Negan takes Rick in the RV, forces him to confront the losses and consider what he can still lose, and then show him that he (Negan) can do far worse than just kill people: He can force Rick to do whatever he wants by using those who Rick cares about.

It's also interesting that the finale last season left Rick completely hopeless; the initial violence actually gave him some resolve, which Negan proceeded to tear down.  At least temporarily.  I think Negan believes he can continue to knock it down whenever it starts to come up.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: October 25, 2016, 02:37:20 am »

That would've been more shocking. But at the same time, do you think the fans would've liked that? "They killed Abe, Glenn is safe!" for the whole summer, then BAM! Not anymore! The way they did it, EVERYONE got to mentally prepare for their favorite out of the bunch to die.

Comic book spoiler: Will Daryl recieve the Holly treatment?

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: October 25, 2016, 04:05:27 am »

That would've been more shocking. But at the same time, do you think the fans would've liked that? "They killed Abe, Glenn is safe!" for the whole summer, then BAM! Not anymore! The way they did it, EVERYONE got to mentally prepare for their favorite out of the bunch to die.

I think it would have made for a better episode that could have moved the plot along more quickly.  On reflection, after a night to sleep on it, I am less pleased with the episode as a whole.  I really think they failed on the entire RV sequence, especially where there were clear points that Rick could have killed Negan pretty easily.  The flashbacks were for suspense and nothing else, and Negan gunning down zombies to keep Rick alive seemed counter to his task. 

I actually think Rosita would have been the more vicious second victim.  No one would have seen it coming, and with Glenn right next to her, it would have been a great misdirect.  As it is, they decided to kill the strongest male and the favorite male.  I feel like the show was afraid to take a risk (Maggie would have been the riskiest choice).

At this point, I think Maggie needs to lose the baby and go original Michonne-the-emotionless-killer out of grief and anger for me to care about that group.  I'm putting all my hopes and dreams on the Tiger becoming the leader like the Lion in the Wardrobe.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: October 25, 2016, 09:36:18 am »

I think that Sasha will take Holly's fate

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 25, 2016, 09:46:28 am »

I think that, for the storyline, Glen is the best loss.  I think it will push Maggie to become what she will be.  Though, comparing to the comic (which I'm rereading now), the show Maggie is much better fleshed out than the comic Maggie at this point.  The show version may not need the same motivating loss.

Other choices for the victim may have been more 'shocking' to viewers, especially those that read the comics, but I don't think they would have been better choices for the story.  Honestly I think the only other good choice would be Daryl.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: October 28, 2016, 06:03:15 pm »

Other Walking Dead thoughts, spoilers include comic spoilers:

So they made a bit of a point about Negan disinfecting the axe, not just wiping the blood off.  Do you think they're going to go with the "Walker guts on weapons spreads the bite infection" idea in the comics?  I don't particularly like this, because we saw Rick cut his hand on a knife that had just cut into a Walker back at the beginning of Season 6, and it presumably healed as normal.  We've also seen in the past people get pretty covered with blood, etc. without any consequences, and certainly an open would/cut (which is fairly likely) could have easily gotten infected.  Plus wading in in Walker-infested water could not have been too healthy. 

I kind of want the show to skip this part, but if they are, why make the point of having Negan search for alcohol?

The major difference between the comic and show here, I think, is Maggie.  In the show, it was Maggie that made the deal with Gregory, whereas it was just Rick in the comics.  In fact, in the comics, they didn't even talk it over; Rick just made the deal with Gregory in private and convinced everyone else to go along.  Moreover, they were attacked on the way to the Hilltop because Maggie was ill.  So she's definitely feeling a lot of guilt, here.  I like her reaction in the show a lot---she was the only one to insist they they had to go figure out how to fight Negan.  In the comics, she just lashed out and attacked Rick, blaming him for what happened. 

I hope the Carl-Negan thing still happens.  If it does, it will definitely be different, though.  In the show, Carl is old enough to be seen as more of an adult, not quite the little kid that couldn't control the machine gun.  So the dynamic would be a bit different.

Not sure if they're going to do the wives thing.  I hope so... it gave some more insight into Negan's 'code'.  It also gives better justification for turning against Negan.  We obviously know Dwight got punished, but with how he was introduced it could have been a punishment for running away.

Also, I've watched the Season 6 finale a few times and the Season 7 premiere twice now, and I really, really like Jeffery Dean Morgan.  I think he's really nailing this role. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: November 14, 2016, 11:15:43 am »

So, Walking Dead episode 4, it looks like they're not doing the whole Saviors-don't-have-any-guns thing from the comic.  Which is probably good; that was a little bit weak.  Moreover, in the comics, Negan doesn't take their guns when he goes to Alexandria, despite their armory being clearly well stocked.  I didn't think about it until the corresponding situation came up in the show, but it didn't make a whole lot of sense in the comics.

On the other hand, actually fighting is looking to be very difficult.  I wonder if they stashed a secret hoard of guns away (the empty graves?) and faked the ledger.  Then Rick is really going extreme to convince everyone that he's giving in to Negan, even to the point where the audience is being deceived.  If so, I think that's a good way to tell this arc.  In the comics, he says in the beginning what his plan is, and the deception part feels like it's over very quickly.

The upcoming episode descriptions on imdb are fairly interesting.  Apparently next episode Carl and Enid head out, apparently to the Hilltop.  This might lead to them sneaking back with the Saviors.  In the comics, the part corresponding to this episode ends with Carl hiding in the mattresses with a machine gun and going to the Saviors' base.  The next episode has what Tara and Heath have been up to (they were out on a long run after the compound attack from last season), and apparently they find a new group.  Since the Kingdom has already been introduced, this either has to be a new introduction to the show, or they're bringing in the Whisperers early.  I doubt it's the latter, but the images they have from the episode (especially the second one here) look to be teasing it. 

And, Westworld.. very compelling.  Last night's episode (episode 7) was great.  There are a lot of interesting theories that are starting to seem more plausible. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 11:17:27 am by Witherweaver »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: November 17, 2016, 03:22:50 pm »

So I watched HarmonQuest, which is pretty awesome.  I guess it's streamed through Seeso, a kind of streaming subscription service for comedies.  However, I was able to find all the episodes on youtube.

Basically, Dan Harmon and his friends (one guy that's been Who's Line quite a bit, the guy that played Annie's brother in that Community episode, and a woman who I guess he was married to but I haven't seen elsewhere) invite a celebrity guest to play a session of a quest in a D&D-type game.  The adventures are partially animated, so it goes back and forth between them at the table and the animation of their characters.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: November 17, 2016, 03:51:47 pm »

So I watched HarmonQuest, which is pretty awesome.  I guess it's streamed through Seeso, a kind of streaming subscription service for comedies.  However, I was able to find all the episodes on youtube.

Cool. I liked Rick & Morty and Community, so Harmon's name intrigues me. The advertisements did nothing for me. I'll take a more serious look at it later.

I've really been digging Dirk Gently. It has a lot of weirdness that I enjoyed watching/reading in the '90s. I don't know that the '90s had a strong foothold in the weird or if it just seemed like it to me because it was when I went to college. One of my favorite RPGs was published in the '90s (Over the Edge), and Dirk Gently feels like someone is running an Over the Edge campaign.

Of course, the '90s featured a lot of David Lynch weirdness, but Dirk Gently is not incomprehensible. Many of the scenes may not make sense yet, but I feel that it's because their true purpose have not been revealed yet.

Interestingly enough, I find the titular character the least interesting part of the show. The other characters are far more fascinating than he is.

And these are not the books. Dirk did make a reference to Thor, so the books are likely canon within the TV universe, but otherwise the similarities end (I think; it's been a while since I read them).
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: November 17, 2016, 03:54:45 pm »

Cool. I liked Rick & Morty and Community, so Harmon's name intrigues me. The advertisements did nothing for me. I'll take a more serious look at it later.

I've really been digging Dirk Gently. It has a lot of weirdness that I enjoyed watching/reading in the '90s. I don't know that the '90s had a strong foothold in the weird or if it just seemed like it to me because it was when I went to college. One of my favorite RPGs was published in the '90s (Over the Edge), and Dirk Gently feels like someone is running an Over the Edge campaign.

Of course, the '90s featured a lot of David Lynch weirdness, but Dirk Gently is not incomprehensible. Many of the scenes may not make sense yet, but I feel that it's because their true purpose have not been revealed yet.

Interestingly enough, I find the titular character the least interesting part of the show. The other characters are far more fascinating than he is.

And these are not the books. Dirk did make a reference to Thor, so the books are likely canon within the TV universe, but otherwise the similarities end (I think; it's been a while since I read them).

Oh, Dirk Gently looked interesting.  I don't think I get BBCAmerica, though :(  I'll try to catch it online sometime.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: November 17, 2016, 03:56:42 pm »

Who wants to talk Westworld?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: November 17, 2016, 03:57:52 pm »
+2

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: November 17, 2016, 04:22:46 pm »

Mass consumption rape!
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: November 17, 2016, 09:33:08 pm »

What door?

I so loved that throwaway line. He even just explained the concept.

I always figured that at least one of the staff would be a replicant. I just wasn't sure which one.
A man has no signature

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: November 17, 2016, 11:05:06 pm »

So watched Flash Seasons 1 and 2.  Season 1 was good, Season 2 was pretty bad :(  Lots of good ideas, but the drama was far too forced.  Hopefully Season 3 is better.

Unfortunately a lot of season 3 so far is lame romance drama.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: November 17, 2016, 11:43:11 pm »

Anyone watch The Grand Tour?  I thought it was fantastic
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.