Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279301 times)

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
Re: TV shows
« Reply #600 on: September 22, 2016, 05:53:38 am »

Watching D&D episode of Community... might be best episode ever.

Also Christmas episode of Season 2.. might have teared up a little.

Chaos theory is best episode ever!

Want to post the gif but maybe it would be spoilers...

Paintball episodes are also classic.

Lava game...
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: September 22, 2016, 06:34:36 am »

Watching D&D episode of Community... might be best episode ever.

Also Christmas episode of Season 2.. might have teared up a little.

Chaos theory is best episode ever!

Want to post the gif but maybe it would be spoilers...

Paintball episodes are also classic.

Lava game...

Also cushions and blankets wars
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: September 22, 2016, 01:17:00 pm »

After casting a line out in Facebook land, I found someone who has the first three seasons of Community on DVD. I'll be borrowing them so I can binge-watch. I know not what to expect except apparently geeky stuff, which I'm on board with.

So yeah, don't post that spoilerific gif just yet.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: September 22, 2016, 01:20:49 pm »

I finished Season 2.  Season 2 finale was pretty epic.  I think the credits scene in particular was my favorite thus far.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: September 22, 2016, 01:34:39 pm »

Should I generally watch the credits of Community, or is it safe to advance to the next episode?
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: September 22, 2016, 01:41:34 pm »
+1

Should I generally watch the credits of Community, or is it safe to advance to the next episode?

Watch them.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: September 28, 2016, 08:45:37 am »

I watched the paintball episode of Community. That was pretty amusing.

Though someone posted episodes, so I guess there is more coming?

I just started season 2.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: September 28, 2016, 09:12:42 am »
+2

I watched the paintball episode of Community. That was pretty amusing.

Though someone posted episodes, so I guess there is more coming?

I just started season 2.

There may be a few paintballs more.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: September 28, 2016, 09:23:46 am »

Hmm, after seeing references to Die Hard, 28 Days Later, the Warriors, First Blood II, Predator, the Matrix, every post-apocalyptic movie ever, and whatever else I can't remember right now, it'll be interesting to see what else they spoof.

Although the resolution of that first paintball episode was touching, I was expecting Jeff's demand to be a total ban on roller-skating on campus.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: September 28, 2016, 11:11:35 am »

I finished all six seasons, by the way.  I definitely liked the first three the best.  It's hard to exactly say what was different (I know the showrunner changed for Season 4, but I mean different in the end result), but watching the first three seasons felt like continual laughter with genuine emotion mixed in, and then I kind of stopped laughing so much, and it was more like passing amusement.  I still enjoyed all of it.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: September 28, 2016, 05:01:28 pm »

I finished all six seasons, by the way.  I definitely liked the first three the best.  It's hard to exactly say what was different (I know the showrunner changed for Season 4, but I mean different in the end result), but watching the first three seasons felt like continual laughter with genuine emotion mixed in, and then I kind of stopped laughing so much, and it was more like passing amusement.  I still enjoyed all of it.

It was Troy leaving that changed it for me.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: September 28, 2016, 05:04:27 pm »

Yeah, I think I agree, but I don't exactly know why.  Like.. he's not exactly my favorite character.. I mean I liked him, but, for instance, Abed is much funnier to me.  But somehow Troy seems to enable Abed being funnier.. in a similar way, I think Pierce enabled the entire group being funnier.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: September 28, 2016, 06:07:45 pm »

Yeah, I think I agree, but I don't exactly know why.  Like.. he's not exactly my favorite character.. I mean I liked him, but, for instance, Abed is much funnier to me.  But somehow Troy seems to enable Abed being funnier.. in a similar way, I think Pierce enabled the entire group being funnier.

I'm with you.  Jeff is my personal favorite, mostly because I am the Jeff of my friend group, but TroyAndAbed was always funnier than just Troy and Abed.  I never liked the Troy/Britta thing, either.  I will say, the Dean really improved in the later seasons.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: October 03, 2016, 10:34:33 pm »

So I went back and watched the rest of Gotham Season 2 (I quit after midseason).  It got way, way better.  I was pretty surprised.  Ed Nygma and Bruce in particular are great. 

Also, Westworld is fantastic.  Really interesting from a perspective of having played pretty immersive MMOs.

Also, Fear the Walking Dead finale were the best episodes of the show (double-episode)  I think.  It's been good but not great, but I thought these last two were actually great.

Oh.. Luke Cage.  That's where my Friday and Saturday went.  Not sure I liked it as much as Jessica Jones, but I still think it was really good.  A little annoyed with the good guy becomes fugitive of the law trope (especially since Gotham season 2 did it, which I watched right after), but overall I liked it.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: October 03, 2016, 10:39:12 pm »

Okay, still haven't seen Luke Cage, so I'm not reading your spoiler.

I am glad you said that about Gotham, because I've just been having it sitting on my DVR, shortly after the Hugo Strange plot began. It just kind of fell off my radar, but I didn't delete the episodes. I may give it another chance after all.

I enjoyed Westworld. It's a bit ponderous, but I like that (frex, Unbreakable). It tripped my shit at first with which ones were guests and which ones were hosts. Man, it's like Battlestar Galactica all over again. I think I'll be watching the rest of the season for sure.
A man has no signature

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: October 04, 2016, 01:31:13 am »

How to get away with murder started again! Also we'll have the Black Mirror in 2 weeks! Excited af
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: October 04, 2016, 10:06:32 am »

Started watching Roadies. It's a bit too lighthearted for me, like in that no one is actually like this in real life ever sort of way. Same reason I didn't care too much for 30 rock or the office. The actual musicians and the realistic sets and most likely based on true happenings bit is cool, though.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: October 04, 2016, 10:45:01 am »

Started watching Roadies. It's a bit too lighthearted for me, like in that no one is actually like this in real life ever sort of way. Same reason I didn't care too much for 30 rock or the office. The actual musicians and the realistic sets and most likely based on true happenings bit is cool, though.

I don't find it necessary for shows to be 'realistic' in their portrayal of characters.. in fact most art is representative of real life without being 'realistic' itself.  Imagine paintings, drawings, sculptures, etc. depicting people that don't look the way real people do, but portray some characteristic of a person in a less literal way.  Being less realistic can actually aid this.. take a comic book where the hero or villain is uncharacteristically huge (your mind jumps to 'strong') or flexible (you think 'lithe' or 'agile'). 

Most TV shows do this, I think.  I think How I Met Your Mother is a good example.  Not a single character is like a person in real life, but they represent some aspect that exists in real people, just highly exaggerated. 

Basically, like caricatures, though it doesn't always have to be done for comedic effect.   

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 04, 2016, 12:58:04 pm »

I had high hopes for Roadies because I loved Almost Famous, but man did I hate that show. I also felt that everyone in the show was just some archetype from a movie and didn't act like humans. The most realistic character to me felt like the corporate shill who apparently "didn't get the music". At least that guy was trying to do something. The worst was probably the skateboarding roadie who was some sort of manic pixie dream girl stereotype at what seemed to be its worst. She'd skateboard around backstage to somehow get things done faster and have many moody conversations about trying to find herself? I only watched two episodes.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 01:01:35 pm by Jorbles »

Fargo

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: October 04, 2016, 02:24:58 pm »
+1

How to get away with murder started again! Also we'll have the Black Mirror in 2 weeks! Excited af

I'm waiting for Black Mirror too!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: October 07, 2016, 11:18:59 am »

Random thing I noticed rewatching some of Community Season 1: the band that Vaughn forms after Britta dumps him is called 'Some Worries'.  ('No worries' is what he always used to say before the breakup.)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 07, 2016, 12:56:42 pm »

Random thing I noticed rewatching some of Community Season 1: the band that Vaughn forms after Britta dumps him is called 'Some Worries'.  ('No worries' is what he always used to say before the breakup.)

Nice. I missed that one.

I did just see the completion of the Beetlejuice gag. I most certainly would not have caught that one if I hadn't already read about it ahead of time.

For some reason I didn't find the D&D episode as amusing as I had hoped. Maybe my hopes got too high? Not sure.

But a lot of season 2 was me wondering why they keep inviting Pierce back at that point. I know it's just a show, but I kept thinking I'd be out of that group if he was allowed to stick around.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: October 07, 2016, 01:08:17 pm »

Nice. I missed that one.

I did just see the completion of the Beetlejuice gag. I most certainly would not have caught that one if I hadn't already read about it ahead of time.

For some reason I didn't find the D&D episode as amusing as I had hoped. Maybe my hopes got too high? Not sure.

But a lot of season 2 was me wondering why they keep inviting Pierce back at that point. I know it's just a show, but I kept thinking I'd be out of that group if he was allowed to stick around.

There's a ton of stuff I missed that goes on in fairly quick, almost background dialogue.  Lots of references to other TV shows, etc.  The D&D episode was one of my favorites, though I didn't have any expectations ahead of time.  The "montage scene" had me laughing harder than any other episode, I think.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: October 15, 2016, 01:02:46 pm »

So watched Flash Seasons 1 and 2.  Season 1 was good, Season 2 was pretty bad :(  Lots of good ideas, but the drama was far too forced.  Hopefully Season 3 is better.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: October 15, 2016, 09:49:43 pm »

Did anyone watch last week's Atlanta (B.A.N., Episode 7)?  That was an amazing episode.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 21 queries.