Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279307 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
Re: TV shows
« Reply #575 on: July 26, 2016, 12:06:00 pm »

Yes, I definitely got some It vibes off of this, which is kind of funny since the scenes in It were 30 years earlier than scenes in Stranger Things. I suppose it's not the time period that was important but just the fact that kids knew of a greater threat but could not convince adults of it.

The discrediting of the cop would have worked better if they started the discrediting. It just seemed like they were interested in watching him, which I suppose could be their intent. Maybe see who he interacts with and who else knows. But if that's the case, there should have been a tail, and they would have known about Joyce and the kids. Hopper would not have been able to jump the guys at the bus because he was under surveillance.

I just have to suspend disbelief for that one, but that's a little difficult.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 26, 2016, 12:18:10 pm »
+1

Yes, I definitely got some It vibes off of this, which is kind of funny since the scenes in It were 30 years earlier than scenes in Stranger Things. I suppose it's not the time period that was important but just the fact that kids knew of a greater threat but could not convince adults of it.

The discrediting of the cop would have worked better if they started the discrediting. It just seemed like they were interested in watching him, which I suppose could be their intent. Maybe see who he interacts with and who else knows. But if that's the case, there should have been a tail, and they would have known about Joyce and the kids. Hopper would not have been able to jump the guys at the bus because he was under surveillance.

I just have to suspend disbelief for that one, but that's a little difficult.

Yeah.  This is a pretty common problem.. you have this group that is both powerful enough to be feared/held in awe but incompetent enough to be subverted. 

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +211
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 26, 2016, 12:39:53 pm »

It has some flaws. I can't remember all of them, but the one that stands out the most is when the chief of police is captured, why was he simply let go? The Hawkins lab was willing to murder people to cover up, so why keep the cop alive? I suppose one could reason that it raises more suspicion to disappear a cop, and I can accept that. But the second time they captured him, they began preparations to discredit him by turning him into a junkie. If they did this the first time, they wouldn't have had to deal with him a second time.  That just seemed a little sloppy in terms of plot.

Maybe I'm missing something or misremembering, but the two times I remember Hopper getting captured, it made sense not to kill him. The first time, they didn't know how much he knew so it wasn't worth killing him. Also, why put a tail on him when they thought they successfully bugged him? They didn't know how paranoid he would be.

The second time makes a whole lot of sense. He gave up El's location in order to get access to the portal. Brenner assumed this was a win-win. He would get El and they would die in the "upside-down" world. No need to kill him, the monster would do that for them.

Admittedly, I don't really care much about nitpicky "plot holes," but those really don't seem like holes anyway. Seemed like everyone was behaving pretty reasonably.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: July 26, 2016, 12:58:46 pm »

It has some flaws. I can't remember all of them, but the one that stands out the most is when the chief of police is captured, why was he simply let go? The Hawkins lab was willing to murder people to cover up, so why keep the cop alive? I suppose one could reason that it raises more suspicion to disappear a cop, and I can accept that. But the second time they captured him, they began preparations to discredit him by turning him into a junkie. If they did this the first time, they wouldn't have had to deal with him a second time.  That just seemed a little sloppy in terms of plot.

Maybe I'm missing something or misremembering, but the two times I remember Hopper getting captured, it made sense not to kill him. The first time, they didn't know how much he knew so it wasn't worth killing him. Also, why put a tail on him when they thought they successfully bugged him? They didn't know how paranoid he would be.

The second time makes a whole lot of sense. He gave up El's location in order to get access to the portal. Brenner assumed this was a win-win. He would get El and they would die in the "upside-down" world. No need to kill him, the monster would do that for them.

Admittedly, I don't really care much about nitpicky "plot holes," but those really don't seem like holes anyway. Seemed like everyone was behaving pretty reasonably.

However, they quickly killed the diner owner for just meeting Elle.  They didn't even question him to see who else might have seen her, or attempt to continue the ruse of child protective services, or anything else.

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +211
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: July 26, 2016, 01:24:37 pm »

However, they quickly killed the diner owner for just meeting Elle.  They didn't even question him to see who else might have seen her, or attempt to continue the ruse of child protective services, or anything else.

Sure, but the difference is the diner owner knew about El; Hopper didn't the first time he was captured. Also, they thought they were going to get El back at that moment, so no need to track down others that might know her. People (or shady organizations in this case) behave differently in different contexts :) I think you're trying a little too hard to find plot holes in this instance (there might be other, clearer ones in the series, but I think these examples all make sense so far.)

But, even if I did agree that was a plot hole, I still think shooting the diner owner was the best choice. It quickly shifted the mood of the scene and it made it clear that the power company are people to worry about, how much they wanted El, and meant that every future encounter with them carried the threat that they'd just kill characters (e.g. without this moment it would have been much less suspenseful when they visited Mike's parents). In other words, that moment had a significant impact on the whole series that would have been "ruined" if it was changed for more character "consistency."

So, I guess my question is, what do people think is better: less consistency but serves the story better, or more consistency but a less exciting show?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: July 26, 2016, 01:30:57 pm »

Sure, but the difference is the diner owner knew about El; Hopper didn't the first time he was captured. Also, they thought they were going to get El back at that moment, so no need to track down others that might know her. People (or shady organizations in this case) behave differently in different contexts :) I think you're trying a little too hard to find plot holes in this instance (there might be other, clearer ones in the series, but I think these examples all make sense so far.)

But, even if I did agree that was a plot hole, I still think shooting the diner owner was the best choice. It quickly shifted the mood of the scene and it made it clear that the power company are people to worry about, how much they wanted El, and meant that every future encounter with them carried the threat that they'd just kill characters (e.g. without this moment it would have been much less suspenseful when they visited Mike's parents). In other words, that moment had a significant impact on the whole series that would have been "ruined" if it was changed for more character "consistency."

So, I guess my question is, what do people think is better: less consistency but serves the story better, or more consistency but a less exciting show?

No, I agree with you.  Storytelling, mood, dramatic effect, etc. are in general more important than detailed internal consistency.  I also tend not to worry too much about these things; it's not really a problem as long as it doesn't take you out of the immersion into the story.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: July 26, 2016, 02:10:09 pm »

I don't know that the show couldn't have achieved both.

At first, I felt that letting Hopper go was incongruent with the diner scene. Kill someone outright for knowing nothing vs. letting someone go who knew something shady was happening. Sure, Hopper didn't know what the portal was exactly, but he knew the lab was doing something funky, he knew that Barb's disappearance was covered up, and he knew that Will's disappearance was covered up with an elaborate double. Hopper posed a far greater threat than the diner owner.

So with Hopper being let go despite logic, I figured they were playing a long game and they had a reason for letting him go (just like he had a reason for getting captured a second time). So it was a little disappointing to learn there was no master plan.

I like the observation that you have big, scary, powerful group that apparently is run by Barney Fife.

Now, if they showed some bickering within and had some stated reasons for what they did, it wouldn't bug me as much.

I don't go looking for plot holes. When they're large enough, I do take notice.

It's like when I was watching Daredevil and wondered why the courtroom had a flag with 48 stars. I asked on FB if that was a common thing, and one of my friends chided me for counting the stars on a flag when I should instead be watching an awesome series. It's not like I went looking for that problem. It's just that an American flag looks quite different when it has 48 stars, and it jumped out at me. It'd be like wondering why the character is wearing a duck on his head for no reason.

I'm sure if I nitpick, I could find other holes. I wasn't thrilled with how the science teacher fit into all this, but I was able to shrug that one off. His was a personality choice.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: August 04, 2016, 10:29:56 am »

Anyone watching The Night Of?  I found the last episode (Chapter 4) a little odd.

Calamitas

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Calamitas
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: August 10, 2016, 09:36:44 pm »

Anyone watching Quantico? Just finished the first Season within one day :D
Oh, i just don't like mafia games.

Town (5/9): M85, RMM35, M87, NM9, M90RMM38, M92, M91, M102,
Scum (3/3): M84, M88, M100

MVPs (1): M84

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: September 06, 2016, 09:58:45 am »

I haven't watched Quantico.. it's good?

So right now is a bit of a slow period of time for TV shows.  From what I follow:

Fear the Walking Dead: Not nearly as good as The Walking Dead, but the second half of Season 2 has picked up from the first half, which was a bit of a drop.  I can't exactly explain why.  Anyway, it's probably the best-made show that is airing in this 'lull season'. 

Dark Matter: I'm liking this more and more.  There are still budget/production issues, but I look forward to seeing each week's episode.  Regarding the Android, I like what they're trying to do with her character this season, in theory,  but the actress is just really awful.  She works fine as the Android, but that's about the extent of her acting range. At any rate, this still has some 'cheesy sci-fi' elements to it, but I'm interested in what's going on each week, probably moreso than other shows that are on right now.

The Strain: I suppose Season 3 is better so far than the train wreck that was Season 2, but there's just a lot wrong with this show.  Lots of inconsistencies and things that break your suspense of disbelief, some terrible acting, generally bad/cringy lines, etc.  The acting ability is polarized.. I like Corey Stoll a lot, and I think he's doing quite a good job in his role, and I'm a fan of Kevin Durand as well.  But for every good actor there's a polar opposite (the kid playing Zack) that makes it painful.

The Night Of: Well this finished last week, but I think it was quite good.  Kept me engaged and wondering where they were going.  I feel like the show could have taken a turn in any direction at any time (kind of like how True Detective felt), which I enjoy. 

I think that's it.. we talked about Stranger Things.  Bojack Season 3 came out this summer, and of course it was fantastic. 

It's another 4--6 weeks before things I really want to see start coming back.  The Walking Dead near end of October.. Westworld looks to be starting in the beginning of October; that should be interesting.  I just read The Leftovers Season 3 is pushed back until 2017 :( 

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: September 06, 2016, 01:24:43 pm »

Narcos started back up. I haven't started watching yet, but I probably will.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: September 06, 2016, 02:18:40 pm »

I'm about halfway through Narcos. It's good!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: September 06, 2016, 02:46:29 pm »
+1

I'm about halfway through Narcos. It's good!

Would you say it's ... addicting?

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: September 07, 2016, 01:59:06 pm »

Any of you guys watch Andy Daly's show Review (Sometimes called Review with Forrest MacNeil)? Pretty great. Only watched the first season so far, but it's really funny. The premise is that it's about Forrest MacNeil, a reviewer who reviews life experiences at people's request. In the first episode he reviews Stealing; Addiction; Going to Prom. He's not particularly silly as a character, but takes things very seriously and the jokes come out of how seriously he takes reviewing life. Looking forward to watching the second season which is already out and they've announced that the third will be the last.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: September 07, 2016, 02:03:52 pm »

Anyone watch the Rob Lowe roast?  I think in general these tend to get gimmicky, but what I caught of this was pretty good.  For some reason, Ann Coulter was on the dais, and she got really obliterated.  It was also exceptionally uncomfortable to watch her part, because the audience absolutely hated it, and every 'joke' she made (they were mostly pretty bad) was met with an uncomfortable pause of silence. 

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: September 07, 2016, 02:19:45 pm »

Anyone watch the Rob Lowe roast?  I think in general these tend to get gimmicky, but what I caught of this was pretty good.  For some reason, Ann Coulter was on the dais, and she got really obliterated.  It was also exceptionally uncomfortable to watch her part, because the audience absolutely hated it, and every 'joke' she made (they were mostly pretty bad) was met with an uncomfortable pause of silence. 

I did not see the roast, but I saw some of the jokes made at Coulter’s expense. Makes me wonder if she was invited with an ulterior motive to roast her as well. As much as I hate her, that seems rather dickish to do, if so.

But then when I saw the advertisements for the roast, I was wondering what the hell she was doing in the line-up. This may explain it.

I heard she shilled her book on the roast. Was this before or after they dogpiled on her? I could understand it if they did it in response to her shilling.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: September 07, 2016, 02:31:08 pm »

I did not see the roast, but I saw some of the jokes made at Coulter’s expense. Makes me wonder if she was invited with an ulterior motive to roast her as well. As much as I hate her, that seems rather dickish to do, if so.

But then when I saw the advertisements for the roast, I was wondering what the hell she was doing in the line-up. This may explain it.

I heard she shilled her book on the roast. Was this before or after they dogpiled on her? I could understand it if they did it in response to her shilling.

According to some stories, she refused to do any kind of research on what actually happened at a roast, even after representatives from Comedy Central discusssed it with her.  Apparently she thought it would be more light-hearted ribbing and not such brutal insults.  (Like, she never actually went and watched one.)  She also allegedly had a comedian (Tony Hinchcliffe) work with her, and he claims that she rewrote the jokes that were written for her before she presented.

http://www.spin.com/2016/09/ann-coulter-was-at-the-roast-of-rob-lowe-because-she-didnt-know-what-a-roast-was/

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/09/06/ann-coulter-bombs-at-rob-lowe-roast-the-worst-roaster-since-the-situation.html

Tony Hinchcliffe apparently gave an interview, but I didn't find a transcript. 

(Edit: I guess you can listen to the interview here: http://davidfeldmanshow.libsyn.com/tony-hinchcliffe)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: September 08, 2016, 09:31:25 am »

Anyone catch Atlanta, on FX?  I saw the premiere, and it was good.  Strange, and very funny at times.  The creator (Donald Glover) has allegedly said it's like Twin Peaks with Rappers, and that actually describes the first episode pretty well.  I hope that the quirkiness is not just novel.  Anyway, strong premiere, I hope it stays good.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: September 19, 2016, 03:48:37 pm »

Dark Matter season 2 was pretty good.  Maybe there were some weak parts, but I like the show overall.  Season 3 should be coming back in 2017, I'm guessing towards the end of the year.  Excited for The Expanse Season 2, too.

Also.. started watching Community on Hulu.  I like this show.    I've also watched five or so episodes of Death Note.  Also good.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: September 19, 2016, 03:59:07 pm »

Dark Matter season 2 was pretty good.  Maybe there were some weak parts, but I like the show overall.  Season 3 should be coming back in 2017, I'm guessing towards the end of the year.  Excited for The Expanse Season 2, too.

Also.. started watching Community on Hulu.  I like this show.    I've also watched five or so episodes of Death Note.  Also good.

Community is the best! I watched it two times. Also consider Mr. Robot. I'm fascinated.
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 20, 2016, 12:11:17 pm »

American Horror Story has a good format this year. Too early to call on the plot. Not sure how I feel about knowing the main characters are going to survive.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 20, 2016, 10:44:52 pm »

Watching D&D episode of Community... might be best episode ever.

Also Christmas episode of Season 2.. might have teared up a little.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: September 21, 2016, 05:27:45 am »

I can't believe you'd never watched it.  Definitely one of the greatest shows ever.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 21, 2016, 06:01:27 am »

Chaos theory is best episode ever!
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: September 21, 2016, 04:50:32 pm »

Chaos theory is best episode ever!

Want to post the gif but maybe it would be spoilers...

Paintball episodes are also classic.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 21 queries.