Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279357 times)

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
Re: TV shows
« Reply #550 on: June 08, 2016, 12:16:55 pm »

Grimm, yeah, it has jumped the shark, mostly with the Juliette/Eve thing. I like the Crusades-Miracle stick storyline. The Diana/Kelly kid thing is not bad. The Lyncanthropia story arc I thought was decent and certainly provides new character insertions for the future. I still haven't watched the last episode of the latest season. I don't know if I will continue with the show in subsequent seasons.

Just started Aquarius, it seems pretty good. Great premise, some fairly weak acting. Definitely some gut wrenching stuff right up front in the first 3 episodes I've watched so far.

Also, Scream, the TV series. It's a guilty pleasure I indulge in when I don't have the energy for anything that requires actual thought or I'm too tired to watch a full episode and I feel okay just stopping halfway through this stuff.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 08, 2016, 01:41:49 pm »

Arrow flashbacks still have to go over Oliver's time with the Russian bratva.  That's almost certainly where he's going next season, given the time remaining and his promise to Taiana.

I'm actually really enjoying the recent Grimm episodes, more than much of the earlier stuff. I like the more serialized elements, and the latest finale was one of the best episodes yet IMO.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: June 08, 2016, 02:15:28 pm »
+1

Arrow flashbacks still have to go over Oliver's time with the Russian bratva.  That's almost certainly where he's going next season, given the time remaining and his promise to Taiana.

I'm actually really enjoying the recent Grimm episodes, more than much of the earlier stuff. I like the more serialized elements, and the latest finale was one of the best episodes yet IMO.

Except now Juliette  (like, actual Juliette) is probably back. So, we will see how next season goes.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 08, 2016, 02:27:02 pm »

Except now Juliette  (like, actual Juliette) is probably back. So, we will see how next season goes.

Yeah, that'll be touchy. Mostly I enjoyed the finale because of how it sets up the threat of Diana for next season.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: June 09, 2016, 12:13:01 am »
+2

My wife and I have been watching The 100 (almost finished Season 1 I think). We're enjoying it (apart from the major love triangle which has pretty much ruined Raven's character) but kind of wondering what the target audience is. Obviously it has teeny characters, but it's very heavy. We're also watching The Walking Dead (Season 4), which, apart from when there's immediate danger or death, is fairly light in comparison.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: June 09, 2016, 09:35:54 am »

My wife and I have been watching The 100 (almost finished Season 1 I think). We're enjoying it (apart from the major love triangle which has pretty much ruined Raven's character) but kind of wondering what the target audience is. Obviously it has teeny characters, but it's very heavy. We're also watching The Walking Dead (Season 4), which, apart from when there's immediate danger or death, is fairly light in comparison.

Where are you in Walking Dead?  I think it gets much much better around episode 8 of Season 4, and more grim. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: June 09, 2016, 11:05:17 am »

I'm enjoying 12 Monkeys more and more.  For a SyFy channel show, it's really good.  By HBO/AMC standards, it's not as strong, I guess, but I still like it.  This week's show did a cool little homage to Groundhog Day.  Apparently some of the other episodes have also intentionally taken plot points from other time travel movies.  It's hard not to tread the same ground that other time travel stories have, and being overt about it is a cool way to deal with that, I think.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: June 09, 2016, 03:21:10 pm »

Also, Preacher is fantastic.  I liked the second episode a lot.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: June 10, 2016, 09:51:01 am »

Now that Google and Time Warner have been able to play nice together, I finally get AMC. And AMC is nice enough to repeat Preacher a zillion times so I can record from the beginning. Excellent.
A man has no signature

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: June 11, 2016, 01:17:24 pm »

Anyone watch the pilot for Wrecked?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: June 15, 2016, 03:46:03 am »

I started and then finished watching The Catch (season 1, only 10 episodes).  Doesn't seem like particularly high quality writing, but I enjoyed it nonetheless mostly because it hit some of the same beats as heist/caper films.  To that end, I may start watching Hustle, knowing nothing else about it except that it's about long cons.

I started watching Better Off Ted.  I like it.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: July 07, 2016, 07:50:30 am »

I never read the graphic novels, so I can’t speak on its faithfulness, but I’m really digging the style of Preacher. I like how everything is shot. I like how the characters are portrayed. I got a pretty good chuckle at the opening of this week’s episode when the angels were fighting each other, though apparently it was not obvious to the seraphim to stop killing the angels.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: July 07, 2016, 09:45:50 am »

I never read the graphic novels, so I can’t speak on its faithfulness, but I’m really digging the style of Preacher. I like how everything is shot. I like how the characters are portrayed. I got a pretty good chuckle at the opening of this week’s episode when the angels were fighting each other, though apparently it was not obvious to the seraphim to stop killing the angels.

The story is told much differently, with a lot of features moved around or refactored.  Some characters are new, some are brought in from different parts of the story.  The comics start off further ahead in the story, too.. there is no time spent in the town with Jesse as an actual preacher.  Cassidy is pretty faithful to the comics, Tulip is a bit refactored (not quite the gun-ho criminal in the comics that she is here), though still I think faithfully adapted, and Jesse is in a different place in his character arc.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: July 07, 2016, 10:13:59 am »

Ah, I figured there had to be more to the story than just Jesse trying to save his town. I don’t know what all he is capable of, but his interaction with Eugene shows that it’s not just mind control. They’re at least doing a good job of keeping me hooked.

I’m a little confused about the interaction between Tulip and Emily. Tulip marched into Emily’s home, yelled at her, and smashed her kid’s art project. She became contrite and offered to fix the damage, so I can appreciate that, but after that outburst, I wouldn’t be that buddy-buddy with her. Granted, Emily made the right call in not taking Tulip up on her offer to watch her daughter. I wouldn’t trust my kid with her either. Entrusting her with bulletins and wine made more sense.

But that seemed like a pretty sudden shift in their relationship.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: July 07, 2016, 11:07:27 am »

I'm not 100% certain on the Tulip character, because comic knowledge doesn't give insight into the show version.  I think there are a few things going on here.  One, she's impulsive.  Two, her goal is to get Jesse back, and I think she'll use anyone for that (Cassidy, Emily).  Three, even though she's not the most upstanding citizen, I think she has sympathy for victims and the less fortunate.  In regards to her coming back specifically and helping, I think she legitimately felt bad.  She said she used to have a child.  The helping out with church errands seemed to be covering an ulterior motive (relating to Jesse somehow).

Emily is just nice, I think.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: July 08, 2016, 01:20:36 am »
+1

I recently watched the series and is now rewatching it with my wife. The show is based on a young adult book series. First season is verry young adult in general. Season 2 is REALLY dark, though. And also different from season 1. I very much enjoy the series, though. Especially season 2 and 3.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 14, 2016, 11:33:52 pm »

A while ago I was in the mood to watch a Heist/Caper film or show.  I stumbled upon an old BBC series, Hustle.  Really enjoying it so far.  Some episodes have twists and setups that are obvious to see, but others are nicely obfuscated until the full plan is revealed and the puzzle pieces fall into place.  There was at least one episode where the resolution really caught me off guard.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: July 15, 2016, 02:57:25 pm »
+2

So, I just wanted to share my thoughts on Hibana : Spark on Netflix.

It might be the greatest show ever made.

So, to get them out of the way, my biases: I love Japan and all things Japanese; a lot of the show is shot on location in Kichijoji, including the park there, where I spent many of my formative years; I find any show that can made me extremely sad while also laughing out loud to be incredible.

Hibana is about two guys trying to make it in manzai, which is basically the most popular form of Japanese stand-up comedy.  One of the two meets a veteran comedian and becomes his apprentice.  The show is ten episodes, one for every year, and basically follows the two guys (known as Sparks) through their life and career.  It features a number of great Japanese directors on a few episodes, and some of the shots -- long, uncut, single scenes -- are amazing.  Daredevil-fight-in-the-hallway kinds of incredible.  In one especially poignant scene, the camera is focused on the main protaganist's face, not moving, and he's not moving, and the emotion that is coming across is tangible.

If you have ever wanted to do or be something more than anything else in your life, you will fully get this show, I think.  The frustration, the hurt and heartache, the rush of happiness -- it's all there.  The acting is brilliant and believable.  It takes you on an emotional roller coaster, and the final two episodes had me crying -- I'd say nothing on film or television has moved me this much since the ending of Glory.

It has a fairly terrible star rating on Netflix.  I think that's because the casual viewer will find it a) boring at the beginning, and b) unfunny.  Japanese comedy and western comedy are very different.  Manzai especially relies on extremely fast conversation full of clever wordplay, puns, and silliness.  My Japanese is good, but not good enough to get all the jokes.  The subtitles do their best, to be honest (I usually complain about subtitles), but to an average American viewer, I think they would seem odd and not at all hilarious.

This is the kind of show that I tell my best friend about, force him to watch all ten episodes with me, and would never speak to him again if he didn't love it as much as I do.  It really sparked a visceral reaction for me that was positive, painful, emotional, and necessary.

It made me realize over the course of ten episodes just how many of my own dreams I've failed to achieve, and in fact neglected to even try to achieve.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 19, 2016, 07:29:35 am »
+1

Appreciate the moving review because as an idiot American it sounds like I would not make it through the first episode.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: July 21, 2016, 09:33:27 am »

So.. Stranger Things on Netflix.  Watched the first three episodes last night.  Entertainment: 1, Sleep: 0.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: July 21, 2016, 09:41:43 am »

12 Monkeys has gotten better, I think.. I like the way they build to end of seasons.  For a SyFy show, it's really quite good.

Dark Matter is back for Season 2, a few episodes in.  It's, uh.. well, the acting is a little ... what you would expect from a low-budget SyFy show.  The guy that plays Six (Roger Cross, was Travis on Continuum where I thought he was pretty good) feels like he doesn't want to or doesn't know how to get into his character.  I'm a bit put off there, and moreso by most of  the minor (few lines in one or two episodes) roles, but I still like the story, the idea, the setting.  I suppose it's interesting enough to make me want to keep watching.

I watched The Night Of part 1, didn't see part 2 yet.  It's good, interesting.  Preacher I'm still hugely supportive of.. acting is quite good.  It's slow but engaging.

Bojack Horseman is coming back for Season 3, uh.. tomorrow!  Now I have two Netflix Shows to binge.

I had also some time ago watched Sense8 on Netflix... don't remember if I brought it up here. If you like Wachowski siblings even a bit, I suggest watching this.  Also watched The Path on Hulu.. quite good even though a lot of the characters are frustratingly annoying.  High points are Hugh Dancy and Aaron Paul.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: July 21, 2016, 10:31:54 am »

Any BattleBots fans here? The show is in the second season of its renewal (on ABC!) and episode 5 airs tonight. I think Bronco is going to take home the Giant Nut this year.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 21, 2016, 10:41:14 am »

Any BattleBots fans here? The show is in the second season of its renewal (on ABC!) and episode 5 airs tonight. I think Bronco is going to take home the Giant Nut this year.

I do love Battle Bots. The problem is that the really good bots are typically the same. Tombstone tears apart the competition. Others may try to duplicate it, but they don’t want to be exactly like it, so they have substandard spinner bots. Same thing with Bronco. Flippers do very well. It’s kind of a finely tuned Dominion engine versus fancy-play syndrome.

There’s not much motivation to branch out. The bug bots were fun to watch, but they always got beat. Kudos to her for staying the course. The gator one was also cute, but it just looked too articulated (that tail did last longer than I expected).

The sword-and-shield-wielding bot was a really interesting experiment, but it did really poorly, and you knew it would. I’d have to think that the sponsors were more interested in showing it off rather than trying to win.

It’s still fun to watch, and I’m glad to see a lot of variety, but there just isn’t a lot of motivation to think outside the box. Or maybe there is. I don’t know what kind of sponsorships these people get.

The addition of drones is interesting, but I’ve yet to see that pay off.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: July 26, 2016, 11:36:07 am »

I finished watching Stranger Things. While it was enjoyable, I feel like it was overhyped. Still, it brought back some nostalgia for me. I'm not sure how the show sits for younger people. I think the story is strong enough that people who never sat by a corded phone, relied on walkie talkies, or viewed grainy black-and-white security footage could still get into it. It was weird to hear synthesizers used for a score in 2016. It reminded me very much of Christine and Escape from New York.

The premise is a group of four D&D players become involved with a mysterious monster that snatches people from this small town in Indiana. An equally mysterious stranger shows up, and both of these have the attention of a creepy research lab.

The acting was pretty good. Winona Ryder was really convincing in her role. The kids did pretty well, especially when you consider that they're kid actors. This show may open some doors for these actors.

It has some flaws. I can't remember all of them, but the one that stands out the most is when the chief of police is captured, why was he simply let go? The Hawkins lab was willing to murder people to cover up, so why keep the cop alive? I suppose one could reason that it raises more suspicion to disappear a cop, and I can accept that. But the second time they captured him, they began preparations to discredit him by turning him into a junkie. If they did this the first time, they wouldn't have had to deal with him a second time.  That just seemed a little sloppy in terms of plot.

Figuring out the rules of how everything works was kind of fun. I read from Facebook friends that it was really scary and freaked them out. I didn't think it was that scary. It had some genuine jumpy moments and some suspense, but it wasn't as much as I thought. That may be a threshold thing. Someone else probably thought there were too many jump moments. YMMV.

They left enough space for a second season. I kind of wish they didn't. This seems like a good enough story to keep encapsulated in eight episodes. It doesn't have to keep going into a new season. This one was competently done, so if there is a second season, I'm sure I'll watch it.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: July 26, 2016, 11:54:01 am »

I finished watching Stranger Things. While it was enjoyable, I feel like it was overhyped. Still, it brought back some nostalgia for me. I'm not sure how the show sits for younger people. I think the story is strong enough that people who never sat by a corded phone, relied on walkie talkies, or viewed grainy black-and-white security footage could still get into it. It was weird to hear synthesizers used for a score in 2016. It reminded me very much of Christine and Escape from New York.

The premise is a group of four D&D players become involved with a mysterious monster that snatches people from this small town in Indiana. An equally mysterious stranger shows up, and both of these have the attention of a creepy research lab.

The acting was pretty good. Winona Ryder was really convincing in her role. The kids did pretty well, especially when you consider that they're kid actors. This show may open some doors for these actors.

It has some flaws. I can't remember all of them, but the one that stands out the most is when the chief of police is captured, why was he simply let go? The Hawkins lab was willing to murder people to cover up, so why keep the cop alive? I suppose one could reason that it raises more suspicion to disappear a cop, and I can accept that. But the second time they captured him, they began preparations to discredit him by turning him into a junkie. If they did this the first time, they wouldn't have had to deal with him a second time.  That just seemed a little sloppy in terms of plot.

Figuring out the rules of how everything works was kind of fun. I read from Facebook friends that it was really scary and freaked them out. I didn't think it was that scary. It had some genuine jumpy moments and some suspense, but it wasn't as much as I thought. That may be a threshold thing. Someone else probably thought there were too many jump moments. YMMV.

They left enough space for a second season. I kind of wish they didn't. This seems like a good enough story to keep encapsulated in eight episodes. It doesn't have to keep going into a new season. This one was competently done, so if there is a second season, I'm sure I'll watch it.

It's possible that The disappearance of a police chief would just raise too many questions or subject them to too much attention.  Their intent seemed to be to discredit him and create a story of him as a substance abuser.  They could later then stage a suicide/overdose after he has been witnessed to spout out crazy conspiracy theories.  It's also possible they wanted to keep him alive (maybe at some higher level) but just temporarily out of the way.  The ending implied that he was now connected to these people somehow.

But, my impression on viewing was kind of the same as yours.

Any of those issues aside, I thought it was really great.  The kids were portrayed really well, and it reminded me a lot of a  number of Stephen King things (for example, similar themes and ideas as It).
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.