Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279106 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: TV shows
« Reply #525 on: April 11, 2016, 04:27:03 am »

Anybody watching The 100?  Because it continues to go places I never expected.  What a wild show.

I couldn't finish the first episode. It was just terrible through and through.

You should try going a little further.  The first few episodes feel really generic and poor, but it gets so much better.  The third episode is the one that really flipped the script.

I made it through the first season -- it is enjoyable, but you (generic you who hasn't seen the show) need to realize that it's for 13-year old girls and just accept that it's Glee in the future after the world ends.

I disagree so very much, and I'm saying that as somebody who has actually watched all of Glee.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 11, 2016, 04:40:32 am »

Anybody watching The 100?  Because it continues to go places I never expected.  What a wild show.

I couldn't finish the first episode. It was just terrible through and through.

You should try going a little further.  The first few episodes feel really generic and poor, but it gets so much better.  The third episode is the one that really flipped the script.

I made it through the first season -- it is enjoyable, but you (generic you who hasn't seen the show) need to realize that it's for 13-year old girls and just accept that it's Glee in the future after the world ends.

I disagree so very much, and I'm saying that as somebody who has actually watched all of Glee.

To be fair, I haven't seen a single episode of Glee, so I could be wrong there.

My point is that it's a show for tweens and teens, like Hunger Games.  It's YA.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #527 on: April 11, 2016, 05:45:11 am »

I have seen a single episode of Glee, and it sounds like you're exactly right there, although I haven't seen any of the 100.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 11, 2016, 08:06:23 am »

I kind of want to rewatch the pilot of Glee. I don't remember anything specific about that episode, but I remember being impressed by its sardonic take of school life. Not as dark as Heathers, but I saw great promise there.

But then it went a different direction and became more like a soap opera. It no longer gave me that Heathers vibe.

So now I'm curious if the show had always been this way, or was I projecting a darkness onto it that wasn't there?

That's not to say the soap opera aspect wasn't well done. Kurt's relationship with his father was very touching, and the coach's human side came out, but I found it tiresome after a while.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 11, 2016, 08:39:38 am »

My prediction: Eugene. He got his small moment of heroism, and he handed over the bullet-making plans. That was a pretty pointless scene, in retrospect, if he lives.

I don't think it's Glen. Don't think they'd bother drawing it out all summer if it was just going to be Glen.

The writers don't have the nerve to kill Darryl.

Michonne has too much story left; her relationship with Rick is still too fresh.

It's not going to be Maggie, from a narrative standpoint, the pregnancy offers too much else to do with her.

These are valid, but they could also be red herrings.

Oh, another one, and I guess this is a bit of a comic/possible TV spoiler:

When Maggie is talking to Rick in the RV, she says, "I believe in you."  Seems like an intentional reference to her "I believe in Rick Grimes" speech from the comics, which is a pretty pivotal moment for her as it gets the Hilltop people fighting Negan together with Alexandria and solidifies her as the Hilltop leader.  When I first saw it, my first thought was, "She may die," because it indicates they may not use the line later. 

I think all the major 'supporting' characters have had some kind of indication that they're not going to make it, which is why I think they're throwing out a bunch of red herrings to keep people guessing.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 11, 2016, 10:37:07 am »
+1

I kind of want to rewatch the pilot of Glee. I don't remember anything specific about that episode, but I remember being impressed by its sardonic take of school life. Not as dark as Heathers, but I saw great promise there.

But then it went a different direction and became more like a soap opera. It no longer gave me that Heathers vibe.

So now I'm curious if the show had always been this way, or was I projecting a darkness onto it that wasn't there?

That's not to say the soap opera aspect wasn't well done. Kurt's relationship with his father was very touching, and the coach's human side came out, but I found it tiresome after a while.

Oh it was dark. Wasn't the whole reason Mr. Schue got to be the Glee Director was because Lea Michele's character accused the previous director of sexual molestation? It was presented in kinda a funny way, but that was totally messed up.

And then Mr. Schue basically blackmails Finn into participating by planting marijuana on him... which he bought from the previous Glee director...

The soap opera aspect certainly got in its way as it tried to develop. But the underlying edge of darkness was what kept me interested in the show for the first few seasons.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: April 11, 2016, 01:15:57 pm »

which he bought from the previous Glee director...

Oh, that's right! That was the guy from Memento and Sneakers, right? It's coming back to me now.

Now I'm actually interested in going back to watch it. I forgot about those scenes. Yeah, so I wasn't just projecting darkness onto the show.

Fun trivia: One of the snob girls at Rachel's new school was an actress I tutored in math a while back. I also did a couple of shows with her, though in both cases our characters never interacted. I had stopped watching Glee, but I watched that episode since my former client was on it. It was a blink-and-you'll-miss-it scenario.

But she has her day now. She's starring in Shadowhunters. I feel kind of bad because I only watched the first episode, but I dutifully have all of season 1 on DVR, because when someone you performed with makes it big, it's hard not to pay attention.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 11, 2016, 01:55:40 pm »

I can accept that sentiment a little more, but using Glee is a terrible comparison.  Youth and YA-targeted media can deal with some heavy, dramatic stuff.  Glee never rose to "quality television" status and was mostly just campy fun, even when it occasionally touched on serious subjects.  Hunger Games is an alright comparison with The 100, but I think the latter has much more interesting storytelling.  As I said above, the show just keeps on going to unexpected places.

I mean, in episode 3, the leading male protagonist is siddenly killed by a 13-year old girl and the fallout is super interesting.  Characters continually face tough moral decisions and then they actually deal with the consequences.  It's good stuff.

Out of curiosity, do you also put the current smattering of superhero shows in the same YA bucket as Glee?  Arrow, Flash, Agents of Shield, etc.  Because I think The 100 is dealing with deeper, tougher material than any of those.  I'm putting it more on par with Person of Interest.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 11, 2016, 03:06:10 pm »

I can accept that sentiment a little more, but using Glee is a terrible comparison.  Youth and YA-targeted media can deal with some heavy, dramatic stuff.  Glee never rose to "quality television" status and was mostly just campy fun, even when it occasionally touched on serious subjects.  Hunger Games is an alright comparison with The 100, but I think the latter has much more interesting storytelling.  As I said above, the show just keeps on going to unexpected places.

I mean, in episode 3, the leading male protagonist is siddenly killed by a 13-year old girl and the fallout is super interesting.  Characters continually face tough moral decisions and then they actually deal with the consequences.  It's good stuff.

Out of curiosity, do you also put the current smattering of superhero shows in the same YA bucket as Glee?  Arrow, Flash, Agents of Shield, etc.  Because I think The 100 is dealing with deeper, tougher material than any of those.  I'm putting it more on par with Person of Interest.

I think some of the superhero stuff falls into YA for sure (Supergirl and Flash definitely), but not all of it (Daredevil, Gotham).

As admitted, I only have assumptions of Glee, so I could be way off base there.  To me, The 100 is a serialized Hunger Games/Divergent/Maze Runner...and that's okay.  I liked the first season, but the promos did not make it clear that this was about high school drama in a futuristic post-apocalypse setting.  I mean, the who likes who/who's dating who/oh no my girlfriend is here now stuff was pretty pervasive.

Maybe it got grittier in the subsequent seasons, but all the dating/big brother doesn't approve/no he's a good guy not trying to kill us stuff was annoying.  They even have bullies and geeks and everything.  It's a high school drama.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 11, 2016, 04:32:36 pm »

As admitted, I only have assumptions of Glee, so I could be way off base there.  To me, The 100 is a serialized Hunger Games/Divergent/Maze Runner...and that's okay.  I liked the first season, but the promos did not make it clear that this was about high school drama in a futuristic post-apocalypse setting.  I mean, the who likes who/who's dating who/oh no my girlfriend is here now stuff was pretty pervasive.

Maybe it got grittier in the subsequent seasons, but all the dating/big brother doesn't approve/no he's a good guy not trying to kill us stuff was annoying.  They even have bullies and geeks and everything.  It's a high school drama.

The relationship stuff was a pretty minor part of the story even in season 1, IMO.  I think there was more of it in Daredevil season 2 than in The 100.  Gotham doesn't have a great track record there either, what with the relationship drama that both Bruce and Jim have been involved in. 

As for The 100, the relationship drama was incidental to the primary conflicts between the different groups -- the native grounders, the kids who were sent down, the people on the space station.  And each group has conflicting factions within them.  The later seasons have added even more wrinkles to the political landscape.  Along with all that, there is some really compelling show mythology in the history of this world.  To call it just a "high school drama" is unfair, like saying that Gotham is only about an angsty orphan boy.

And just to be clear, I think your assessment of Glee is fine.  I just don't agree that it can be fairly applied to The 100.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 04:34:52 pm by eHalcyon »

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: April 11, 2016, 04:47:30 pm »

The relationship stuff was a pretty minor part of the story even in season 1, IMO.  I think there was more of it in Daredevil season 2 than in The 100.  Gotham doesn't have a great track record there either, what with the relationship drama that both Bruce and Jim have been involved in. 

As for The 100, the relationship drama was incidental to the primary conflicts between the different groups -- the native grounders, the kids who were sent down, the people on the space station.  And each group has conflicting factions within them.  The later seasons have added even more wrinkles to the political landscape.  Along with all that, there is some really compelling show mythology in the history of this world.  To call it just a "high school drama" is unfair, like saying that Gotham is only about an angsty orphan boy.

And just to be clear, I think your assessment of Glee is fine.  I just don't agree that it can be fairly applied to The 100.

You might be right about the other stuff, but I think you are being too kind to The 100 if you are trying to say the relationship stuff was minor...

I mean...there was: Clark + Finn + Raven, Clark + Jaha, Clark + Bellamy, Octavia + Jasper + Lincoln, and that was just in one season.  Multiple love triangles, forbidden love, etc. etc.  It was basically the entire show.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: April 11, 2016, 05:07:45 pm »

You might be right about the other stuff, but I think you are being too kind to The 100 if you are trying to say the relationship stuff was minor...

I mean...there was: Clark + Finn + Raven, Clark + Jaha, Clark + Bellamy, Octavia + Jasper + Lincoln, and that was just in one season.  Multiple love triangles, forbidden love, etc. etc.  It was basically the entire show.

I think you were reading too much into most of those.  Clarke+Finn+Raven sure, and Octavia+Lincoln yeah.  But I don't agree that the others were ever used for any sort of drama.  Octavia+Jasper was just very minor flirting IIRC.  Clarke+Wells and Clarke+Bellamy weren't really anything other than them being leading protagonists together.  In the case of the latter, their relationship was adversarial in season 1, not romantic at all.  Not to mention, the Clarke+Finn+Raven triangle wasn't really mined for much drama, e.g. I don't remember Clarke and Raven ever fighting about it.

The relationship stuff was incidental to the bigger picture.  If you think that was the entire show, you're ignoring all of the sci-fi and political elements.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 11, 2016, 05:15:41 pm »
+1

I think you were reading too much into most of those.  Clarke+Finn+Raven sure, and Octavia+Lincoln yeah.  But I don't agree that the others were ever used for any sort of drama.  Octavia+Jasper was just very minor flirting IIRC.  Clarke+Wells and Clarke+Bellamy weren't really anything other than them being leading protagonists together.  In the case of the latter, their relationship was adversarial in season 1, not romantic at all.  Not to mention, the Clarke+Finn+Raven triangle wasn't really mined for much drama, e.g. I don't remember Clarke and Raven ever fighting about it.

The relationship stuff was incidental to the bigger picture.  If you think that was the entire show, you're ignoring all of the sci-fi and political elements.

I don't know what you are trying to do, but you can't ignore the fact that The 100 is YA.

That's not an insult, it's just a category.  The book is YA SF.  That's the show's premise and goal as well.  It's not BG or Star Trek, man.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: April 11, 2016, 05:21:22 pm »

I don't know what you are trying to do, but you can't ignore the fact that The 100 is YA.

That's not an insult, it's just a category.  The book is YA SF.  That's the show's premise and goal as well.  It's not BG or Star Trek, man.

I have no disagreement about that.  I'm just arguing against your statement that the show is all high school relationship drama, and not because I think it is insulting but because I think it is inaccurate.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: April 11, 2016, 05:36:19 pm »

Is anyone watching Bob's Burgers?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: April 11, 2016, 05:38:47 pm »
+5

Nah, it's basically Glee.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #541 on: April 11, 2016, 05:44:38 pm »

Well, I don't know for sure, but I think it's pretty safe to say that someone is watching Bob's Burgers.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: April 11, 2016, 05:45:31 pm »
+1

I think more people should. It's very, very good.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: April 11, 2016, 06:10:33 pm »

Season 5 is on netflix. I'm working through it. I know most people disagree with me but Bob's Burgers > Archer.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: April 11, 2016, 09:38:08 pm »

Season 5 is on netflix. I'm working through it. I know most people disagree with me but Bob's Burgers > Archer.

I don't know....it is a close one.  I definitely enjoy Bob's Burgers more having watched Archer first.  But yeah, I am about halfway through season 5 of Bob's Burgers and have finished season 6 of Archer (watching on Netflix).  Bob's Burgers definitely keeps getting better as the seasons continue.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: April 13, 2016, 03:49:20 pm »

When I travel which is often I always keep Cartoon Network playing in the hotel room. I don't have any subscription television at home so this is when I see Bob's Burgers, Rick and Morty, Adventure Time, Regular Show, Teen Titans, American Dad, and Amazing World of Gumball. there are others of course but I especially like all the ones I listed.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 22, 2016, 02:33:17 pm »

I can't fucking wait for Preacher tonight. 

That is all.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 23, 2016, 08:01:46 am »

I can't fucking wait for Preacher tonight. 

I wish Time Warner would stop being a bitch and let Google show AMC so I can watch Preacher. I couldn't watch Better Call Saul either. I'll have to wait for Netflix.

On another topic, I'm like half a dozen episodes behind on Gotham, but I see in commercials that Fish is coming back. Without getting into spoilers, is her return truly dreadful? I think I'm at the point where Freeze is put into Strange's care. I'm not sure if I want to continue the series if Fish is back. I felt the Freeze subplot was making things interesting again.
A man has no signature

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 23, 2016, 05:56:08 pm »

I just binge watched the entire series of Breakout Kings.  Love that show.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 08, 2016, 11:36:38 am »

I am all caught up on Flash and Arrow. I was so behind. I still haven’t watched Legends of Tomorrow.

I felt like Arrow was kind of missing the mark toward the end of the season. I’m not sure why exactly. I suppose I felt that Darhk was getting to be tedious. He’s invincible except when he isn’t, but he makes himself invincible again, at least until the Ghostbusters trick.

I caught up on Flash first, which was a mistake, because I learned of Laurel’s death before it happened. I should have known better, especially since Flash spoiled the existence of the Black Canary.

I enjoyed them, though I think that this would be a good stopping point for Arrow. Besides, the flashbacks have nearly caught up with the pilot, so what else can they do with the flashbacks?

I haven’t watched Supergirl yet. It was recorded on an older DVR, and I don’t know if I have all the episodes recorded or not.

My wife and I are giving up Grimm. We stopped watching around season 3, I believe. We realized we didn’t give any thought to what happened at the wedding. So we’ll just wipe them off the DVR. I’m sure we can watch it on Netflix if we are interested again.

And good news! Google Fiber now carries AMC, so I can check out Preacher. Hopefully I’m not too late.

I’m also behind on Gotham. I saw a commercial that Fish is back. Is it worth continuing with Gotham? I feel like I may not lose any sleep over ditching this one. I believe I left off shortly after Freeze is placed in Strange’s care.
A man has no signature
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.