Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279300 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
Re: TV shows
« Reply #500 on: March 15, 2016, 08:06:00 am »
+1

Has anybody watched Galavant?  I just caught up on the second season and I still find it really clever and fun.  The songs are catchy and it does plenty of great trope subversion.  The overall silliness just has me grinning all the way through.

I finally just watched the first two episodes of this season. We've been way behind.

I honestly was surprised that something so niche was renewed for another season, but I'm glad it was. And the opening song of season 2 acknowledged how unlikely that was.

It helps that the show is self-aware and campy. If it took itself seriously, that would be disastrous.
A man has no signature

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 15, 2016, 06:07:08 pm »
+1

Has anybody watched Galavant?  I just caught up on the second season and I still find it really clever and fun.  The songs are catchy and it does plenty of great trope subversion.  The overall silliness just has me grinning all the way through.

I watched the first season and thought it was hilarious. Still need to watch season 2
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 16, 2016, 12:18:20 am »

I just binged the first season of Daredevil, since season 2 is coming soon. And I thought it was really good. Way better than Gotham, which I stopped liking very quickly because of the campy dialogue and weird colours and sets. Daredevil actually has some great choreographed action, and even a bunch of scenes with really cool camera work that isn't just lots of shaking and cutting. Episode 2 had this great fight in a hallway with the camera slowly moving back and forth and people entered and exited from rooms, it all looked really nice. Highly recommend for a fun, dark show with good action.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 16, 2016, 08:40:33 am »

I just binged the first season of Daredevil, since season 2 is coming soon. And I thought it was really good. Way better than Gotham, which I stopped liking very quickly because of the campy dialogue and weird colours and sets. Daredevil actually has some great choreographed action, and even a bunch of scenes with really cool camera work that isn't just lots of shaking and cutting. Episode 2 had this great fight in a hallway with the camera slowly moving back and forth and people entered and exited from rooms, it all looked really nice. Highly recommend for a fun, dark show with good action.

That scene's been spoiled already. It's not really a great plot revealer, and people gush over that scene all over. It'll be held up as a pretty high bar for cinematic fight scenes. It's interesting to see how a lot of directors adopt the challenge in shooting scenes without any cuts.

Daredevil has another scene that was shot in a pretty cool way. I forget the exact details, but it involved a man sitting alone in a car with the camera rotating around him. It was far more subtle than the hallway scene but it was no less beautiful. It was a really tense moment, and the camera movement added to the tension.

Another fight scene that got my attention was in an episode of Arrow. Again, my memory is fuzzy on this, but I remember the camera pulling back into an elevator as the fight moved down the hall. They entered the elevator, and the doors shut while they kept fighting. When the doors opened, my brain picked up on something different. I had to rewind to verify it. The elevator changed floors (or they just wheeled in a new set, which seems likely). This was another instance of the director refusing to cut, and I noticed it. I'm not sure how many others did. I know at least one of my friends did because I posted about it on Facebook, and he agreed it was nicely done.

Sometimes it's little things. Nice to see that there are directors who take television as seriously as they do movies.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 16, 2016, 09:10:56 am »

I got a new TV when I moved.. 55", 4K HDTV... I totally went back to watch that hallway fight scene from Daredevil in 4K Ultra HD.

Also, Netflix has these living art things for 4K  TV's.  One is just a fire place... look so real I swear I could feel the heat.  Another is an underwater scene; it really looks more real than real life.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 16, 2016, 09:13:43 am »
+1

In other news, I finished Mad Men recently (final episodes were finally put up on Netflix).  The entire series is amazing; it's, like, a paragon of storytelling.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 16, 2016, 09:21:32 am »

I also finished Parks and Rec.  As people have said, the last season was a step down.  I'm not sure why, but the jokes didn't work as well.  A lot of it was characters blatantly describing their traits in dialogue instead of actually acting them out.  I don't understand if the writing team changed or something.

However, some of the season was still good.  There were still great scenes, especially with Ron Swanson.  (The Beef Milk part is one of my favorite parts of the whole series.)

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 16, 2016, 02:00:58 pm »

That scene's been spoiled already. It's not really a great plot revealer, and people gush over that scene all over. It'll be held up as a pretty high bar for cinematic fight scenes. It's interesting to see how a lot of directors adopt the challenge in shooting scenes without any cuts.

Daredevil has another scene that was shot in a pretty cool way. I forget the exact details, but it involved a man sitting alone in a car with the camera rotating around him. It was far more subtle than the hallway scene but it was no less beautiful. It was a really tense moment, and the camera movement added to the tension.

Another fight scene that got my attention was in an episode of Arrow. Again, my memory is fuzzy on this, but I remember the camera pulling back into an elevator as the fight moved down the hall. They entered the elevator, and the doors shut while they kept fighting. When the doors opened, my brain picked up on something different. I had to rewind to verify it. The elevator changed floors (or they just wheeled in a new set, which seems likely). This was another instance of the director refusing to cut, and I noticed it. I'm not sure how many others did. I know at least one of my friends did because I posted about it on Facebook, and he agreed it was nicely done.

Sometimes it's little things. Nice to see that there are directors who take television as seriously as they do movies.

The DD scene you mention involves the blind Chinese drug courier.  It's even more intense because he can't see what's happening, only hear.  It's pretty incredible.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 16, 2016, 03:23:56 pm »

The DD scene you mention involves the blind Chinese drug courier.  It's even more intense because he can't see what's happening, only hear.  It's pretty incredible.

Yes, I thought so, but I wasn't confident enough to include that description. I just remember watching that and being drawn into the way the camera revolved around him. Or I should say I remember that vividly. I was about 90% certain the subject was blind.
A man has no signature

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 16, 2016, 04:18:03 pm »

I also finished Parks and Rec.  As people have said, the last season was a step down.  I'm not sure why, but the jokes didn't work as well.  A lot of it was characters blatantly describing their traits in dialogue instead of actually acting them out.  I don't understand if the writing team changed or something.

However, some of the season was still good.  There were still great scenes, especially with Ron Swanson.  (The Beef Milk part is one of my favorite parts of the whole series.)

I love Parks and Rec, but I think it became a victim of its own success. It took awhile to find its footing, first season was weak, but the show really found its stride as the characters grew and the writers discovered the characters traits. People really liked them and wanted good things to happen to them and then at a certain point the writers had kinda written themselves into a corner. Good things had happened to the characters and they didn't seem to want to make bad things happen to them any more, it was a light comedy where you felt good watching people you liked. They didn't want to break from the formula (quirky characters + good things happen to good people) and they kinda ran out of new good things to happen and the quirkiness of the characters started to feel forced. I'll still always remember the show fondly, but when the characters feel like scrappy underdogs it's a lot better.

On a side note, I feel like Brooklyn Nine Nine is in danger of falling into the same trap now that it's finally found its stride and wonder if it will follow the same sort of arc as Parks and Rec.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: March 22, 2016, 03:43:55 am »

Why am I still awake?  Oh yeah, I started watching season 2 of Daredevil and I haven't been able to stop
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 22, 2016, 12:52:29 pm »

Why am I still awake?  Oh yeah, I started watching season 2 of Daredevil and I haven't been able to stop

I haven't finished it yet, but I like the main Punisher plotline a lot so far. The second plotline involving Electra isn't quite as compelling, but it's still pretty good overall. I like that they're making an effort to show off Foggy's courtroom abilities in this season as in the first season it didn't really feel like they were particularly competent lawyers. Just tenacious ones.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 05, 2016, 05:48:12 pm »

So, the Walking Dead finale.  I'm not going to put in and spoiler tags because it's long, but I'll leave out any significant comic spoilers.  Don't read further unless you've watched up through the end of Season 6.

Show Spoilers Below

I'm getting tired of everyone constantly complaining about things.  Admittedly, I primarily check out imdb boards which are pretty toxic and trolly (I should really stop, but imdb is a convenient place to get information on shows/movies I'm interested in), so my view may be distorted.  But almost every episode comes with a barrage of trivial complaints, and this has episode was a culmination of it.

I get that people don't like cliffhangers.  Personally, I feel showing the death and having the last shot be the mutilated corpse would have left a larger impact.  On the other hand, they probably couldn't have made is as graphic as the novel, so it may have fallen short any way.  We'll have to see what they show next episode.  Also, the PoV shot was good in and of itself.  And, it's interesting to see everyone analyze all the details to try to figure things out.  (This part was fun for shows like True Detective.)

At any rate, I'd still prefer not to have a cliffhanger, but I don't have any problem with it.  People are throwing around a lot of words like 'gimmick', 'lazy', 'cheap', etc.  I don't understand where these people are coming from at all.  Of course they want you to watch next season; why wouldn't they?  I haven't read anything convincing that ending the episode without revealing who died harms the storytelling.  Really, "we're going to kill off a main character" is a gimmick in the first place; Kirkman basically said this; he knew that he had to do something fresh in the 100th issue, and this was it.  Gimmick or not, the storytelling is good.

The rest of the episode... I've read a number of people complaining it was boring.  Man, I don't see it.  It was tense.  The main point here is we see a deconstruction of Rick's entire way of thinking.  After pendulum swings between hanging on to old-world humanity and adopting new-world brutality, Rick has settled in to what he thinks is the new way of thinking in this world.  He doesn't take chances any more, but community is still the most important thing.  He's trying to build something in Alexandria, and he believes he can do it.  They've encountered numerous threats from people and survived (Governor, the Marauders, Terminus cannibals, the Wolves), and they had a huge breakthrough in the mid-season premiere (S6:09), where they took care of an entire hoard of Walkers and realize that they are simply something that can be managed.  He has such confidence that they can take care of whatever this new threat is that he jumps headfirst into an agreement to take out Negan.  And it works almost flawlessly. (Even though Carol and Maggie were captured, they weren't hurt.)  Even upon learning that there were more of them, and even after losing one of their own, he still believes he'll win, and they make a point of him saying so in recent episodes.  He even says so in the finale to Maggie.  Even after their first roadblock, he's still certain he'll come out on top.  Even after the second and into the third one, he has confidence.  He gradually starts to get worried (when he realizes they were shooting as their feet), and in the fourth/fifth one he finally starts to show worry ("we're going to need the bullets").  You gradually see more worry and fear in his face, and by the end of the episode, when they are caught by Negan's group, he is downright terrified.  He's completely helpless and he knows it, and he has no idea what to do.  He doesn't say anything during Negan's entire speech (except for the one outburst), and I don't think chose to do it because it was a better choice; I think he was simply too terrified to speak. 

The entire season has been about paradigm shifts for Rick.  He starts out with a isolationist philosophy (recall he and Daryl's conversation in S6:01, his conversations with Deanna, his 'us and them' attitude towards saving Spencer, etc.), and halfway through the season he realizes that he's been thinking about everything all wrong.  He realizes they can build Alexandria together and make is strong, and that people together can accomplish so much more than individuals (his speech to Carl in the coma).  And the finale completely destroys that optimism and confidence and makes him realize he doesn't know anything.  A recurring theme in TWD story.  Showing that the Saviors were ahead of them every step of the way, in multiple places with different people in different ways, just hammers this point in even more.  At this point they seem like an absolute unbeatable force (even moreso than in the comics).  The juxtaposition of the ease of which they dispatched the outpost and the confidence it gave them and the absolute beatdown they just received in the finale is exaggerated in the show, I think to good effect.  It's probably stronger if you watch the episodes contiguously without commercials. 

Andrew Lincoln's acting was top-notch in this episode.  And Negan... I loved Jeffery Dean Morgan; I thought his speech delivery was perfect.  I found it odd that he wasn't clean-shaven, just because that's Negan's iconic look (maybe they wanted the 'I better shave this' line?), and he did seem thinner (less muscle) than in, say, Watchmen.  Even so, I thought his presence was great, and some of the lines made me audibly laugh ("It's an emotional moment, I get it!").  Would have been nice if he could have said 'fuck' or 'fucking' a few times, but that's been a gap between comics and show since the beginning. 

Carol and Morgan.. I like their story.  Morgan finally kills someone, as Carol said he would.  Though he's already 'corrupted' Carol, as she arguably would have never gotten to this point if Morgan hadn't came into her life and tried to show her another way.  So they corrupt each other, and now they're off somewhere that we can figure out if we've read the comics. 

All-in-all, I think the episode was great.  I think showing the death would have made it ... bigger, maybe?  On the other hand, it would have been 'the thing' of the episode, and would have taken the focus off other parts.  I don't know, hard to say. 

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #513 on: April 05, 2016, 05:56:08 pm »
+1

Don't read further unless you've watched up through the end of Season 6.

Ha, I read further even though I've never seen a single episode! What are you going to do about that?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 05, 2016, 09:35:19 pm »
+1

Don't read further unless you've watched up through the end of Season 6.

Ha, I read further even though I've never seen a single episode! What are you going to do about that?

You truly are n anarchist.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 06, 2016, 03:09:00 am »

So, the Walking Dead finale.

I agree pretty much with everything said here. One thing I want to mention, though, is that TV-Negan feels less like a schoolyard bully to me. This pretty much only from his speech.

As for the cliffhanger, I'm not sure what is worse. Not knowing who died and have to wait for next season to find out. Or knowing and be sad about it and not wanting to watch the next season.

I think it might have something to do with me having read the graphic novel. But after finish watching this episode, I went to sleep in less than five minutes. I guess that could also make me an emotionally distant psychopath.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 06, 2016, 09:38:40 am »

So, the Walking Dead finale.

I agree pretty much with everything said here. One thing I want to mention, though, is that TV-Negan feels less like a schoolyard bully to me. This pretty much only from his speech.

As for the cliffhanger, I'm not sure what is worse. Not knowing who died and have to wait for next season to find out. Or knowing and be sad about it and not wanting to watch the next season.

I think it might have something to do with me having read the graphic novel. But after finish watching this episode, I went to sleep in less than five minutes. I guess that could also make me an emotionally distant psychopath.

I think I'm in the minority because I'm okay with the cliffhanger.

I've seen some interesting chatter about it already, like it's Glenn because of some audio someone thinks is him saying Maggie and Maggie's screams being the loudest, or it's Abraham because he just did his I can have a life with you Sasha speech and TWD loves to kill people at those kind of moments and he tweeted something in the past tense that he deleted, or that it's Darryl because he's already hurting and he has a new show and he's not a comic book character anyway.

I agree with most everything else WW said.  I liked the episode, it felt super intense, maybe one less roadblock would have been fine, but it worked.  The subplot got interesting with the "knights" in armor folks showing up.

Can't wait for October!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 06, 2016, 09:46:50 am »

The most convincing argument that I've seen that it is Glen is that the episode has four or five PoV shots from the group locked in the van.  It ends on a PoV shot, so it's not unreasonable that this is the same person's PoV.  Otherwise, why show the shots in the first place?  (Well, I thought it was a cool regardless, but it does seem reasonable that it could be a hint.)  This limits it to Glen, Daryl, Michonne, Rosita.  There is reason from the comics to think that Negan won't kill a woman here.  People have analyzed the frames and think they can see Daryl's hair/head outline while they are leaving the van, meaning Daryl isn't the PoV person.  That leaves Glen.  Personally, I like Glen, but I think it would be really great to have him narrowly escape death so many times in such cliche was (the bat scene at Terminus) only to have him killed here.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 06, 2016, 09:51:22 am »

Also, there is this analysis of the entire scene (contains spoilers of the episode):

http://imgur.com/gallery/jN0X2Un

I don't think the analysis is actually correct (because I think they intentionally 'mis-shot' positions and angles to prevent this kind of thing; Gimple basically said as much), but it's still cool analysis.   

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 09, 2016, 10:31:29 pm »

My prediction: Eugene. He got his small moment of heroism, and he handed over the bullet-making plans. That was a pretty pointless scene, in retrospect, if he lives.

I don't think it's Glen. Don't think they'd bother drawing it out all summer if it was just going to be Glen.

The writers don't have the nerve to kill Darryl.

Michonne has too much story left; her relationship with Rick is still too fresh.

It's not going to be Maggie, from a narrative standpoint, the pregnancy offers too much else to do with her.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 09, 2016, 11:40:47 pm »

Anybody watching The 100?  Because it continues to go places I never expected.  What a wild show.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 10, 2016, 10:44:48 am »

Anybody watching The 100?  Because it continues to go places I never expected.  What a wild show.

I couldn't finish the first episode. It was just terrible through and through.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 10, 2016, 02:55:10 pm »

My prediction: Eugene. He got his small moment of heroism, and he handed over the bullet-making plans. That was a pretty pointless scene, in retrospect, if he lives.

I don't think it's Glen. Don't think they'd bother drawing it out all summer if it was just going to be Glen.

The writers don't have the nerve to kill Darryl.

Michonne has too much story left; her relationship with Rick is still too fresh.

It's not going to be Maggie, from a narrative standpoint, the pregnancy offers too much else to do with her.

These are valid, but they could also be red herrings.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 10, 2016, 08:56:25 pm »

You should try going a little further.  The first few episodes feel really generic and poor, but it gets so much better.  The third episode is the one that really flipped the script.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 11, 2016, 02:37:35 am »

You should try going a little further.  The first few episodes feel really generic and poor, but it gets so much better.  The third episode is the one that really flipped the script.

I made it through the first season -- it is enjoyable, but you (generic you who hasn't seen the show) need to realize that it's for 13-year old girls and just accept that it's Glee in the future after the world ends.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.