Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279105 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
Re: TV shows
« Reply #475 on: December 11, 2015, 10:28:20 am »

I watched the midseason finales of Arrow and Flash.

I'm not sure if I missed a key part of an earlier episode or if it was just typical superhero-make-shit-up-as-you-go-along trope, but I was a little unsure about using the breach to polarize one bomb to attract the others. But it was a dramatic moment, so you know…

Nice exposition for Joe's partner.

For Arrow, one of my friends posted that he was disappoint. I'm not sure why exactly. I thought the episode worked. It wasn't superb, but it was as watchable as the rest of the series. I suppose he could have meant the apparent death of Felicity, but why not be heartbroken instead of disappointed? Besides, they killed Thea, Sara, and Malcolm and brought them back. It'd actually be refreshing if they killed someone and had it stick. Her death would add an extra dark spin to Oliver. I suppose the problem I have with this is that Oliver was able to get out of the limo and get it moving while in the crossfire of an organized shooting. Really improbable, but it fits the heroic idiom.
A man has no signature

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #476 on: December 11, 2015, 11:44:51 pm »
+1

So I just finished making my way through Daredevil, Flash, and Jessica Jones. Need to head over to Arrow next. I am very pleased with the stuff Marvel and DC is putting out there.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 16, 2015, 02:48:33 am »

I watched the midseason finales of Arrow and Flash.

I'm not sure if I missed a key part of an earlier episode or if it was just typical superhero-make-shit-up-as-you-go-along trope, but I was a little unsure about using the breach to polarize one bomb to attract the others. But it was a dramatic moment, so you know…

Nice exposition for Joe's partner.

I'm still at the beginning of Season 3 for Arrow, so can't comment there, but I did enjoy the Flash mid-season finale.  I like that they did a Christmas episode, as those are sorely lacking nowadays.  Anyone watch Eureka back in the day?  That was a great show that always had killer Christmas episodes.  Community, too.

I'm fairly certain the thing you are asking about in spoiler tags was completely made up science crap, much like the rest of the show, but to me was clearly supposed to be a "Christmas miracle" thing.  Like a reverse Santa Claus, even up to Wells taking back the present from the kid.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 27, 2015, 10:52:29 pm »

Caught the "sneak peak"--whatever that is--initial episode of "The Magicians" based off the novel by Lev Grossman that I completely and totally loved. It had some good moments but felt a bit rushed and stilted. I have somewhat decent expectations given that there is a lot of room for not only cool magical concepts but some philosophy about life and growing into an adult.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 29, 2015, 02:53:20 pm »
+1

Not only have I never watched Survivor, I think Survivor, as the first mainstream reality show, is one of the many things that ruined American television.
I thought it was pretty much the consensus that we are living the golden age of (American) television right now. What do you mean?

I don't watch any other reality than Survivor, and obviously don't mean that Survivor or reality has contributed to this being the best time for TV in the slightest.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: January 20, 2016, 11:36:40 am »
+1

Anyone watch any of Angie Tribeca?  At first I thought it was quite poor, but I kept it on while doing other stuff, and I started to like it.  It's basically a throw-back to Police Squad/Naked Gun, and I really miss that kind of humor.  It doesn't quite have the comedic timing/delivery that made Leslie Nielsen so great, but nevertheless it reminds me of watching him as a kid.

Anyway, watch it if you like that kind of stuff, but be aware that it isn't elite.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 20, 2016, 04:51:54 pm »

I watched a few episodes of it and felt sort of the same way.  It is definitely the stupidest show I've ever watched but I found myself laughing a lot more than I felt like I should have.  I do think it has one of the highest "joke densities" I've ever seen, even though a lot of the jokes aren't funny.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #482 on: January 20, 2016, 10:28:34 pm »
+1

Final Season of Parks and Recreation is on Netflix!

Guess I'm taking a break from The Clone Wars.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 21, 2016, 01:24:52 pm »

I watched a few episodes of it and felt sort of the same way.  It is definitely the stupidest show I've ever watched but I found myself laughing a lot more than I felt like I should have.  I do think it has one of the highest "joke densities" I've ever seen, even though a lot of the jokes aren't funny.

This is how I feel about BMS.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 27, 2016, 03:54:28 pm »
+1

Final Season of Parks and Recreation is on Netflix!

Guess I'm taking a break from The Clone Wars.

I've seen a number of Parks and Recreation episodes on syndication, but I've never watched it from the beginning until about a week ago.  I'm into Season 3 now.  I've liked everything, but Season 3 is one of the funniest (and, charming really) things I've seen on television. 

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 27, 2016, 03:56:53 pm »

I binged Better Caul Saul a few days ago, and liked it a lot. It took a while to lay out all its groundwork, but it built up very well and now I'm curious about what happens next.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 27, 2016, 03:58:25 pm »

I binged Better Caul Saul a few days ago, and liked it a lot. It took a while to lay out all its groundwork, but it built up very well and now I'm curious about what happens next.

It's great, really.  Especially the episode that focused on Mike, and Saul's flashback episode. 

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: February 19, 2016, 09:21:58 am »
+2

So I'm late to the party (by nearly 2 years, it seems), but I'm getting into Rick & Morty. I caught some episodes on Adult Swim and have been watching them out of order, which doesn't seem like a big deal except that the season 2 finale probably referred to recurring characters. Then again, it doesn't take much to introduce a new character and say that Rick's known him for a while. I have a suspicion that this character was introduced before.

I discovered that Rick & Morty is available on demand on Google Fiber, so I started watching from the beginning.

I agree that the pilot was overall weak. I could definitely take that or leave it. I actually did like "Lawnmower Dog." I read on here that it was also considered weak, but it gelled with me. Mostly because Rick was ragging on how nonsensical Inception was while re-enacting the plot in an even more nonsensical manner. I believe they drilled down into the fifth layer of dreams. That's a lot to cram into a half-hour show.

I really enjoyed the one where they went into his battery that was being powered by a race of beings he created only to learn that they stopped powering his battery because they developed power by creating a race of beings.

If I had to describe this to the uninitiated, I guess I'd say it was witty like Futurama, crude like Ren & Stimpy, and mindfuckity like Doctor Who. Although, Futurma had its own brand of mindfuckery.
A man has no signature

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 19, 2016, 09:45:49 am »

Finally fully caught up with TWD, and watching episodes as they come now that we're past the mid-season break for Season 6.

This latest episode was crazy.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: February 19, 2016, 10:09:29 am »

Finally fully caught up with TWD, and watching episodes as they come now that we're past the mid-season break for Season 6.

I read the comics back between seasons 4 and 5, and I've been anticipating this episode since it became clear that the Alexandria storyline was going to be done in the show.  I couldn't help but overhype it, so I was slightly let down because I was so excited to see that particular scene, but overall I still thought it was good.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: February 19, 2016, 10:34:42 am »

Haven't seen the latest episode, but read the comics (I think I'm like 3 issues behind). I'll be looking forward to this and hopefully won't be disappointed. :P

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: February 19, 2016, 10:51:05 am »

Haven't seen the latest episode, but read the comics (I think I'm like 3 issues behind). I'll be looking forward to this and hopefully won't be disappointed. :P

I get volumes instead of individual issues, so I have to wait like 5ish months for each new one :(  Volume 25 should be coming out in April, I think.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: February 19, 2016, 10:51:59 am »

I read the comics back between seasons 4 and 5, and I've been anticipating this episode since it became clear that the Alexandria storyline was going to be done in the show.  I couldn't help but overhype it, so I was slightly let down because I was so excited to see that particular scene, but overall I still thought it was good.

I've only read the very first comic, so I'm not sure what you expected, but Carl getting shot in the eye and Rick's subsequent rage massacre was tremendous.  I can't say I'm sad that Rick's crush and her kids went down, as they were all annoying.  The one guy who I never want to die is Glenn, so I've been happy with all the ridiculous saves he's had this season.  Especially given he was supposed to have his throat cut at Terminus, per the comics.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: February 19, 2016, 10:54:51 am »

I've only read the very first comic, so I'm not sure what you expected, but Carl getting shot in the eye and Rick's subsequent rage massacre was tremendous.  I can't say I'm sad that Rick's crush and her kids went down, as they were all annoying.  The one guy who I never want to die is Glenn, so I've been happy with all the ridiculous saves he's had this season.  Especially given he was supposed to have his throat cut at Terminus, per the comics.

Comic Spoilers:

He did not 'get his throat cut at Terminus' in the comics.  There was no Terminus in the comics, though there was an analogous (more brief) storyline.  But Glen did not die in the corresponding "Terminus" storyline in the comics.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 19, 2016, 05:02:26 pm »

I get volumes instead of individual issues, so I have to wait like 5ish months for each new one :(  Volume 25 should be coming out in April, I think.

I'm not saying how I acquire my issues. But I read them separately and then I buy the compendiums.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: February 19, 2016, 05:15:17 pm »

I have compendium I and II, and then III wasn't out by the time I finished II.  So I started getting some smaller publications.  It bothers me that everything isn't the same size now :(

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 20, 2016, 01:55:33 am »

I just finished watching heroes. I'm sad that it had to end so abruptly.

I've already watched the season of heroes reborn that came out, and I thought it was great. It was fun to then go back and see the back story of all the characters.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 25, 2016, 10:41:16 am »

I finally finished The Expanse.  I think it was quite good, especially for a SyFy channel show.  However, I didn't get as engrossed as I wanted to be.  Part of it could have been because of timing; I was so busy while it was being aired that I had to watch episodes here and there, spread out and often with some distraction.  Or it could be because of storytelling.

It seems to also suffer from this sound balance issue where auxiliary noise/sounds drowns out the (very important!) dialogue.  I only see this with some shows.. Hannibal, American Horror Story, The Expanse... 12 Monkeys, maybe?  It's weird, I feel like I can't focus on what the characters are saying, though I want to.  I don't have this issue with, e.g., Mad Men, The Walking Dead, Better Call Saul, The Leftovers.. all of which are require quite a bit of focus on dialogue.  I don't know, could be my imagination.

At any rate, The Expanse is interesting enough for me to want to watch Season 2.  I'll probably have to sit down and rewatch Season 1, too.

Also, Season 2 of 12 Monkeys is coming in April, so that should be cool.  Daredevil is coming out in March as well, which I'm really excited for.  Jon Bernthal as The Punisher should be great.

I also watched Master of None, Aziz Ansari's show on Netflix.  It's definitely good, kind of Louis-inspired.  I think it's pretty relatable, especially if you're around NYC.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 06, 2016, 08:41:43 pm »

Has anyone else watched Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell?

I just finished watching it, a BBC mini-series and really enjoyed it and highly recommend it. I actually enjoyed it more than the book from which it is based. I think it was Galz that recommended the book to me. Basic premise is two magicians in eighteenth century England explore the lost arts of English magic and open up the world to new, dangerous types of magic. There is a fair amount of material that is deeper than that involving the politics of the era, education, women's rights and slavery but it is mostly about really cool magic offset in a Jane Austenesque tongue-in-cheek sensibility.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 15, 2016, 03:11:01 am »

Has anybody watched Galavant?  I just caught up on the second season and I still find it really clever and fun.  The songs are catchy and it does plenty of great trope subversion.  The overall silliness just has me grinning all the way through.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 22 queries.