Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279421 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: TV shows
« Reply #450 on: November 22, 2015, 03:21:08 pm »

Jessica Jones, anyone?

I've seen the first three episodes. I'm liking it so far, though I'm not familiar at all with the source material.

I'm not familiar either.  I didn't even know that she had super powers.

Also, just like Heroes season 1, they're really taking seriously how scary the power of Persuasion is.  The nice thing is that it doesn't even require any special effects.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 22, 2015, 10:04:45 pm »

Jessica Jones, anyone?

I've seen the first three episodes. I'm liking it so far, though I'm not familiar at all with the source material.

I'm not familiar either.  I didn't even know that she had super powers.

Also, just like Heroes season 1, they're really taking seriously how scary the power of Persuasion is.  The nice thing is that it doesn't even require any special effects.

I like it a lot so far. (4 episodes in) A lot more ominous and creepy than Daredevil, but very enjoyable.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 23, 2015, 04:10:44 pm »

So... The Leftovers, anyone?  Teproc?  This season just keeps getting more and more amazing for me. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 23, 2015, 04:11:45 pm »

Also, I'm about halfway through Season 6 of Madmen.  I've been watching on Netflix whenever I get time.  It's an extremely well-done show. 

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 23, 2015, 07:37:39 pm »

So... The Leftovers, anyone?  Teproc?  This season just keeps getting more and more amazing for me. 

I am dreadfully behind on everything. Still haven't watched past the premier, looking forward to catching up.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 24, 2015, 02:50:01 am »

Finished Season 1 of Arrow...definitely not the Flash, but I kept forgiving it its faults knowing it must get better.

Season 2 seems better, if tamer.  I don't get all the hate for Arrow killing people.  I think it was fine.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 25, 2015, 11:55:34 pm »

I don't get all the hate for Arrow killing people.  I think it was fine.

It's generally frowned upon for heroes to kill the bad guys. Allowing a hero, even a noble one, the power of judge, jury, and executioner is a slippery slope that can lead to some dark places (and a number of comics have explored this). So most heroes end up adopting a 'no killing' rule. Due process exists for a reason. Of course, sometimes, it probably is better if certain villains weren't allowed to continue existing. If batman just killed the joker, it would likely save an incredible number of lives. It would seem to be a reasonable and justifiable course of action. But, you could also argue that perhaps it's the legal system that's failed. The death penalty does exist. Though, there are narrative reasons this is never handed out.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 26, 2015, 08:52:56 am »

I don't get all the hate for Arrow killing people.  I think it was fine.

It's generally frowned upon for heroes to kill the bad guys. Allowing a hero, even a noble one, the power of judge, jury, and executioner is a slippery slope that can lead to some dark places (and a number of comics have explored this). So most heroes end up adopting a 'no killing' rule. Due process exists for a reason. Of course, sometimes, it probably is better if certain villains weren't allowed to continue existing. If batman just killed the joker, it would likely save an incredible number of lives. It would seem to be a reasonable and justifiable course of action. But, you could also argue that perhaps it's the legal system that's failed. The death penalty does exist. Though, there are narrative reasons this is never handed out.

I guess for me, it's a comic book show and Arrow is a bad ass.  In the second season, he has cool net arrows and stuff, and that works too.  But he sort of painted himself into a corner with trying to stop the Huntress from killing, watching the Black Canary kill people, etc. due to his about face.  I think he should still kill a few folks, just maybe not the hapless body guards and minions.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 28, 2015, 08:25:07 pm »

So I just finished Jessica Jones. It was really, really good. I liked it better than daredevil. Probably one of my favorite marvel offerings to date.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 28, 2015, 09:06:29 pm »

I'm on episode 7.  It's good.  I find it on par with Daredevil.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 28, 2015, 11:12:20 pm »
+2

Has anyone else finished season 2 of Rick and Morty? If so, has anyone else come to the conclusion that it's on of the greatest shows ever?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 29, 2015, 06:40:14 am »
+1

Has anyone else finished season 2 of Rick and Morty? If so, has anyone else come to the conclusion that it's on of the greatest shows ever?

First episode I saw brought me to the conclusion that it is the greatest show ever. 

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #462 on: November 29, 2015, 08:13:11 am »
+1

In many ways I am like the perfect target audience for Rick & Morty (favorite shows including Simpsons, Archer, Futurama), but I've now watched two episodes and hated both of them.  I am very confused and saddened.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: November 29, 2015, 11:45:26 am »

In many ways I am like the perfect target audience for Rick & Morty (favorite shows including Simpsons, Archer, Futurama), but I've now watched two episodes and hated both of them.  I am very confused and saddened.

The fact that anyone could hate Rick and Morty greatly saddens me. Out of curiosity what was it you disliked?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: November 29, 2015, 04:26:16 pm »

Did you see the Lawnmower Dog episode?  Or Rick Potion #9?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: November 29, 2015, 04:39:55 pm »

I didn't like the pilot episode either, and the second one I liked more. I think it only gets better. Try the episode "meeseeks and destroy", if you don't like that one, you don't like the show. But I think the first two episodes are the weakest, certainly the pilot is.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 29, 2015, 04:42:43 pm »

Anyone watch the preview pilot of The Expanse?

I made it about ten minutes in and quit, but might try again.  Feels too Firefly-ish to me.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 29, 2015, 04:49:21 pm »

I made it about ten minutes in and quit, but might try again.  Feels too Firefly-ish to me.

I thought it came out in December.  I really want to see it.

Also, Meseeks and Destroy was one of the best episodes of R&M.  I maybe prefer it over the ones I listed.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 29, 2015, 08:32:14 pm »

I didn't like the pilot episode either, and the second one I liked more. I think it only gets better. Try the episode "meeseeks and destroy", if you don't like that one, you don't like the show. But I think the first two episodes are the weakest, certainly the pilot is.

I think the pilot put too much emphasis on "drunken grandfather treats grandson like garbage" as opposed to "cynical genius inventor drags grandson through unique mind-blowing adventures in space".  The voice acting in early episodes felt kind of awkward as well, but it got better.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: November 29, 2015, 09:11:23 pm »

I liked Firefly a lot, but I don't want to see something totally derivative of it. I read the book Leviathan Wakes, which is the first in the series it's based on and I liked it quite a bit though, so I am at least interested in what the show might be like.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: November 30, 2015, 02:29:55 am »

I liked Firefly a lot, but I don't want to see something totally derivative of it. I read the book Leviathan Wakes, which is the first in the series it's based on and I liked it quite a bit though, so I am at least interested in what the show might be like.

To be fair, this is based on ten annoyed minutes of me watching it.  It has that scavenger, outer space, forced use of Chinese to be cool thing that Firefly had.

I'm in the minority in that I watched all of Firefly, plus Serenity, and ended up wishing I hadn't wasted my time.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 30, 2015, 10:13:54 am »

I liked Firefly, so I may give the Expanse a try.

I finished the first season of the Librarians. Really liking this show. It's goofy in a Dr. Who sort of way but using fairy tales rather than fake sci-fi. The CGI can be really bad in some places, but I'm not watching it for flash. The season finale was probably one of the most epic episodes. It took the normally insular episodes and tied them all together. We have some second season recorded, so we're going to try to catch up with that.
A man has no signature

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #472 on: November 30, 2015, 03:15:18 pm »

For Rick & Morty, I just didn't like any of the characters in those first two episodes.  The grandpa was a big asshole (and not like, Sterling Archer asshole), the kid was so whiny, and the rest of the family was totally unpleasant. 

The second episode also made zero sense to me whatsoever plot-wise.  The dog subplot was adorable and cute, but the rest of it was really confusing.

It wouldn't surprise me if it got better afterwards, but it didn't have any of that wit or magic that I liked about other animated classics.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 01, 2015, 12:56:51 am »

The Once Upon A Time plot for this half-season is actually pretty neat.  Lots of great stuff.  It's not perfect (all the Brave stuff is particularly half-baked) but still very fresh and fun.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 01, 2015, 03:37:23 am »

The recent Supergirl episode made a top military commander look way too incompetent.  I mean, their plan was unbelievably stupid.

Step 1: Create a super powerful android intended to take down the likes of Superman.
Step 2: Give the weapon a stealth mode that makes it undetectable even to the people meant to wield it.
Step 3: Make sure not to include any way of shutting the thing down in case it becomes dangerous to the public.
Step 4: Enable automatic self-preservation that renders this killing machine at least temporarily uncontrollable in the event that it sustains significant damage.
Step 5: Get an executive order to compel one of the most powerful beings in the world to beta test the android by attempting to cause it significant damage.
Step 6: When the android is damaged and subsequently escapes, thus endangering the general public, immediately fire the one person who is most qualified to track it down and bring it back in line.

I mean, it's just totally ridiculous from start to finish.

Also, the episode is just full of people blaming Supergirl for doing the right thing.

1. Supergirl saves a bus-load of children from two cartoonishly idiotic drivers.  One such driver is dim-witted enough to take a swing at the alien with super-strength because she had the gall to stop him from committing multiple acts of manslaughter.  And when this guy gets hurt because Supergirl blocked his punch, obviously Supergirl is in the wrong here.  Obviously. 

They try to put Supergirl in the wrong by having the children be frightened, but it's a hollow rationale.

2. The military forces Supergirl to fight their superweapon which lacks basic safety features.  She does as instructed and takes down their prototype... which promptly goes rogue because they designed it to do exactly that.  Of course this is all Supergirl's fault, since she defeated the weapon that was designed to kill her kind.  Not at all the fault of the people who built the thing to stealth-mode away and go on a rampage. 

They try to shift blame this time by emphasizing Supergirl's continued attack after being told to stand down, but that's a much smaller factor if you actually stop to think.

3. After Supergirl actually saves General Lane's life, Red Tornado creates a tornado that endangers dozens (hundreds?) of people.  Supergirl stops the (un)natural disaster.  General Lane shows zero gratitude and actually blames her for prioritizing innocent lives and letting the menace escape.

At least this time the show played it as the General being unreasonable, instead of making it out to be an example of it somehow being an actual problem with Kara.

Some other things that bugged me:

- The random scientist fights on par with a highly trained DEO agent while simultaneously controlling a weapon that is fighting on par with Supergirl.
- Red Tornado apparently has a highly sophisticated GPS system... that the military can't access to pinpoint its location?
- Hank Henshaw's eyes just glow red randomly.  It's a teaser for the audience, but it's a major flaw in his cover if anybody else ever saw it happen.
- Lucy Lane doesn't wonder at all why Winn said "your cousin" for "Superman".
- A media company's IT guy (who hasn't been sold as somebody with the supreme skills of, say, Felicity Smoak) is able to singlehandedly hack into the system of a secret organization with access to advanced alien technology.
- Hank Henshaw (or whatever is pretending to be him) went to the trouble of redacting and burying a document about an incident without bothering to redact his own name.  That said, why not destroy the document entirely?
- Red Tornado has this whole self-preservation thing but just stands there and takes the sustained heat vision eye lasers.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.