Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279117 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: TV shows
« Reply #400 on: October 29, 2015, 01:25:15 pm »

Are people watching the new season of The Flash?

KING FREAKING SHARK!

I had no idea how willing the Flash was to embrace the silliness of comic books. For whatever reason I thought it would just be toned down, gritty human style characters from the stories. I am now going to watch this.

Arrow was the gritty one, though the new season has loosened up. 

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 29, 2015, 02:48:24 pm »

KING FREAKING SHARK!

I had no idea how willing the Flash was to embrace the silliness of comic books. For whatever reason I thought it would just be toned down, gritty human style characters from the stories. I am now going to watch this.

Yeah, The Flash is to comic book shows what Psych was to cop procedurals, I think.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 29, 2015, 03:41:56 pm »

I think it's that they were all almost all the gritty one (Daredevil, Gotham, Arrow) so I just kinda painted them all with the same brush.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 29, 2015, 03:42:48 pm »

I think it's that they were all almost all the gritty one (Daredevil, Gotham, Arrow) so I just kinda painted them all with the same brush.

Gotham isn't gritty.. Gotham is campy with dark overtones. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 29, 2015, 03:43:30 pm »

KING FREAKING SHARK!

Yeah, The Flash is to comic book shows what Psych was to cop procedurals, I think.

I hope they do a Twin Peaks episode, too.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: October 29, 2015, 03:43:48 pm »

I am just surprised that "comic book shows" is a thing.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 29, 2015, 03:52:22 pm »

Oh, I guess I was just limiting to Flash and Arrow (and soon: Legends of Tomorrow) because they're so connected.  If we're looking that broadly, I don't think I'd call Agents of SHIELD or Agent Carter gritty either.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 29, 2015, 03:52:46 pm »

I am just surprised that "comic book shows" is a thing.
Would you say it has you walking on air? Or maybe it makes you angry, and we wouldn't like you when you're angry.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 29, 2015, 03:59:51 pm »

Oh, I guess I was just limiting to Flash and Arrow (and soon: Legends of Tomorrow) because they're so connected.  If we're looking that broadly, I don't think I'd call Agents of SHIELD or Agent Carter gritty either.

Oh that's true. I guess they aren't all gritty, but it felt like they were to me at the time. Agent Carter was awesome. SHIELD was ummm well, I think it had potential, but it just kinda turned into a mess. What I wanted it to be and what the showrunners wanted it to be were not the same thing.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 29, 2015, 04:00:35 pm »

I wanted it to be the X-Files seasons 1-3 with super heroes.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 29, 2015, 05:45:10 pm »

Oh that's true. I guess they aren't all gritty, but it felt like they were to me at the time. Agent Carter was awesome. SHIELD was ummm well, I think it had potential, but it just kinda turned into a mess. What I wanted it to be and what the showrunners wanted it to be were not the same thing.

You don't like where it is now?  The first season was slow to start but then it really kicked off after Winter Soldier events.  Since then, I think it's been doing pretty well.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 29, 2015, 06:46:33 pm »

Just watched the series premiere of Supergirl.

Thoughts?

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 29, 2015, 07:26:26 pm »

You don't like where it is now?  The first season was slow to start but then it really kicked off after Winter Soldier events.  Since then, I think it's been doing pretty well.

I just wanted a sort of procedural show in a Marvel universe. It also didn't help that I didn't really find much of the actors performances to be that compelling. Phil is played by a good character actor. Simmons was okay. The first season villains were mostly pretty good (Paxton was really fun and the Flower Lady was great), but the rest of the performances felt pretty stiff and wooden to me. I really didn't care about a lot of the major plotlines too. Skye's parents were things I kept wishing the show would forget about and the stuff about alien writing was a plotline that felt like a two season arc for something that could have been a fun single episode, but was tedious when we saw someone pouring over crazy alien writing for what felt like the 100th time. On the other hand, I wish that they'd dragged Ward's betrayal out for a lot longer. From the reveal that he's a Hydra agent to the audience to when the team discovers it could have been a fun plotline where whether or not he is evil and who he really answered to could have been explored over the course of a full season. Instead there was almost immediately a reveal that he was super evil and then a bunch of dull interrogation scenes until I stopped watching somewhere early in Season 2.

I have no idea where the show is at now, but one thing that made me give up on it was that my wife watched the first few episodes with me and followed along with me before saying I should go ahead without her. Then she tried to watch some of the second season episodes with me and I basically had to pause and explain every single scene because the show had fallen so far down this complex rabbit hole that it was incomprehensible to someone who hadn't watched every episode.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 29, 2015, 08:54:16 pm »

KING FREAKING SHARK!

Even after having read that spoiler, it still surprised me when it happened. I saw the Flash get hit by that, and I exclaimed, "Holy fucking shit."

And you know, for as cheesy a concept as that is, it actually didn't look too bad.

Definitely glad I watched this show from the beginning.
A man has no signature

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 29, 2015, 11:07:17 pm »

KING FREAKING SHARK!

Even after having read that spoiler, it still surprised me when it happened. I saw the Flash get hit by that, and I exclaimed, "Holy fucking shit."

And you know, for as cheesy a concept as that is, it actually didn't look too bad.

Definitely glad I watched this show from the beginning.

I was so stoked. I freaking love King Shark.  http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--om9JnpIr--/1494095674501629732.jpg The episode as a whole was mediocre, but the last minute was the best thing I've seen all season.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 29, 2015, 11:49:56 pm »

I'm still watching Heroes Reborn and I am still enjoying it, but there are still plenty of problems.  The one that's kicking me out of immersion the most right now, in tonight's episode, is that Noah and Hiro keep talking about how there's so little time, how they need to hurry, etc.  Guys, you can FREEZE TIME.  And if you need to get somewhere in a hurry, you can TELEPORT.  But I guess that's always been a problem in the show.  Mastery of space-time is just one of those broken powers that are really tough to write around, and the Heroes writers have never been so good about it.  At least in the early days Hiro had poor control of it.  But now it's just plot anathema that they quietly ignore and hope people will forget.

Edit: OK, they addressed it a little bit.  Not really to my satisfaction, but whatever.

The new thing that bothers me is that Noah made a big deal about how there's no way Claire should have died and that he needed to see her in case something was lodged in that one part of her brain to disrupt her power.  When he finally gets to her covered body in the morgue, he doesn't even lift up the sheet to see her face.  Was that even her?  Is she actually dead?  And if so, how?  I thought they were kind of explaining it with Phoebe's shadow power, but then that ended and she still didn't come back.  I hold on to hope that they will address it in a future episode.  But for now, it just looks like a glaring plot hole.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 12:36:02 am by eHalcyon »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 30, 2015, 02:45:42 am »

Thoughts?

Probably SPOILERS in here, but it's only the pilot so it's not much.

1. It is weird how they go out of their way to avoid saying his name.  It's like he's Voldemort or something.  Is it for dramatic effect, or just a strange and complicated copyright thing?

2. The episode feels overstuffed, like they tried to fit a season-length (or at least movie-length) arc in this one episode.  Kara goes from wanting to be normal to wanting to be a hero in like 5 minutes.  Alex Danvers goes from "you should never have revealed yourself" to "you are the hero we need" in like 5 minutes.

3. The way Danvers and the DEO initially treat Kara is nonsensical.  Danvers has known Kara all her life and surely knows that she's a good person.  Presumably the team would trust Danvers' assessment there.  Even if they didn't, they've been keeping tabs on her since she landed on earth, right?  So they should know that she means well.  Yeah, they might consider her a well-meaning danger, but they could have at least brought her in and talked to her peacefully instead of shooting her with kryptonite darts.

4. So many random people already know her secret identity, what?  Could have used a couple more episodes of character development there, I think.  The way her tech friend Winslow acted around her didn't make me think they were close friends, but then he's the first person she tells.  And then James Olsen knew her identity all along because he told him?  I was hoping that he would be like, "man, I just looked at that photo from the bank and it's kind of obvious.  I don't understand how I'm the only one that sees it.  The same thing happens with him."  At least poke some fun at it.

5. All these villains are rising up against Supergirl, but are they just ignoring the bigger blue elephant in the room?  For any threat to be real, they're gonna have to bring in the big guy eventually, right?

6. Random extra thought.  If she's bulletproof, shouldn't she also be dart-proof?  Also, when those bullets were bouncing off of her, why weren't they tearing apart her uniform?  That is, the same uniform that was easily pierced by darts later on.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 30, 2015, 06:10:08 am »

Thoughts?

Probably SPOILERS in here, but it's only the pilot so it's not much.

1. It is weird how they go out of their way to avoid saying his name.  It's like he's Voldemort or something.  Is it for dramatic effect, or just a strange and complicated copyright thing?

2. The episode feels overstuffed, like they tried to fit a season-length (or at least movie-length) arc in this one episode.  Kara goes from wanting to be normal to wanting to be a hero in like 5 minutes.  Alex Danvers goes from "you should never have revealed yourself" to "you are the hero we need" in like 5 minutes.

3. The way Danvers and the DEO initially treat Kara is nonsensical.  Danvers has known Kara all her life and surely knows that she's a good person.  Presumably the team would trust Danvers' assessment there.  Even if they didn't, they've been keeping tabs on her since she landed on earth, right?  So they should know that she means well.  Yeah, they might consider her a well-meaning danger, but they could have at least brought her in and talked to her peacefully instead of shooting her with kryptonite darts.

4. So many random people already know her secret identity, what?  Could have used a couple more episodes of character development there, I think.  The way her tech friend Winslow acted around her didn't make me think they were close friends, but then he's the first person she tells.  And then James Olsen knew her identity all along because he told him?  I was hoping that he would be like, "man, I just looked at that photo from the bank and it's kind of obvious.  I don't understand how I'm the only one that sees it.  The same thing happens with him."  At least poke some fun at it.

5. All these villains are rising up against Supergirl, but are they just ignoring the bigger blue elephant in the room?  For any threat to be real, they're gonna have to bring in the big guy eventually, right?

6. Random extra thought.  If she's bulletproof, shouldn't she also be dart-proof?  Also, when those bullets were bouncing off of her, why weren't they tearing apart her uniform?  That is, the same uniform that was easily pierced by darts later on.

1.  They can't say his name due to copyright stuff.  It's a big deal and it's also why he can't be fully seen in the show at all.  Think of it as him being too busy to stop by because he's making movies.

All your other points are spot on, I think.  At the same time, I think this show has the potential to be "Felicity Smoak got superpowers" and that would be amazing.

I'll keep watching, for now.  For a guy who always hated DC Comics, I'm surprising much more into their TV series than Marvel's.

Oh, on #4 and the photo thing -- the power of glasses to hide your identity has always been a ridiculous DC Comics thing, I think.

Anyone notice the easter egg for Supergirl's adoptive parents?  Previous Superman and Supergirl actors!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 30, 2015, 11:53:42 am »

I'll keep watching too.  A pilot deserves forgiveness and the actress is fun.

What kind of copyright thing is this?  Apparently they actually did say "Superman" once at the start, plus they use other things like "man of steel", so it seems more a stylistic choice.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 04, 2015, 01:02:13 am »

Tonight's Flash was really fun, and I especially liked that Patty figured out that Barry was blind, but the episode also exemplifies a common problem with superhero media -- powered people not actually using their powers in an easy and obvious way to get a simple victory.  Or, to put it another way, powered people somehow not being able to do something that should easily be within their abilities.

1. Barry is fast enough to time-travel, dodge bullets, or even catch bullets, yet somehow he can't get close enough to Dr. Light to knock her outStar-powered or not, her reflexes sure seemed relatively normal so it makes no sense that Barry would need to confuse her with mirages before running up to her for a KO.

2. When Barry was needlessly making speed mirages the first time, Dr. Light was able to stop him with a simple AOE burst.  There's no indication that she can't do this again, so why does she go back to single-target energy blasts?

I quibble, but I criticized Heroes Reborn for it so I should be fair. :P

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: November 04, 2015, 09:07:32 am »

Man, now I need to watch this week's Flash.

Ash vs. the Evil Dead was pretty fun. Sam Raimi directed the pilot, and it shows. You can see it for free online, I believe. I'm sure subsequent episodes will not be.

As usual, Ash is his bumbling self, and he screws the world over for a chance at tail. After having watched the first three movies, it was weird to see CGI being used in this episode. Thankfully it was short (to my knowledge).

It's interesting that they are following two storylines right now, and I'm sure they'll intersect.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 06, 2015, 01:09:13 am »

The new thing that bothers me is that Noah made a big deal about how there's no way Claire should have died and that he needed to see her in case something was lodged in that one part of her brain to disrupt her power.  When he finally gets to her covered body in the morgue, he doesn't even lift up the sheet to see her face.  Was that even her?  Is she actually dead?  And if so, how?  I thought they were kind of explaining it with Phoebe's shadow power, but then that ended and she still didn't come back.  I hold on to hope that they will address it in a future episode.  But for now, it just looks like a glaring plot hole.

They actually explained it, and it was a decent explanation!  The new thing to explain now is how exactly Nathan takes powers, and why Hiro's power manifested differently in him.

Oh, also, time travel makes a nonsensical mess of everything and there were lots of ridiculous things there, not to mention some other stupid choices by various people with pointless self-sacrifice and other odd choices.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 06, 2015, 10:43:14 am »

I wasn't blown away by this week's Flash, but FREAKING HARRISON WELLS IS AWESOME so it was a-okay in my book.  I'm so glad they made him so different, and such a jerk.

I also watched the second episode of Supergirl.  And I was so very disappointed.  The sister got captured already?  And she had to meet her aunt already?  And we have this incredibly unbelievable competition between the only two males on the show for her attraction?  And that whole saving kittens to get everyone to like her thing?  Terrible.

The only redeeming thing was her messing up so badly in the beginning.  That part I liked.  But the cliched I'm going to beat you in a kyrptonite room so you feel like you are worthless to teach you a lesson thing?  Yeesh.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 06, 2015, 10:44:50 am »

AMC is looking to get pretty awesome.  Into the Badlands looks entertaining at the very least, and I really can't wait for Preacher.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 06, 2015, 12:08:14 pm »

I hope I'm not the only one watching season 2 of Fargo. Alla da episodes have been pretty darn interesting.*

*That's my attempt at typing like a character from the show.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 21 queries.