Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279490 times)

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
Re: New TV shows (American edition)
« Reply #375 on: September 30, 2015, 05:35:44 pm »

Also, I like the show enough to buy it on iTunes.  It's mindless fun like other procedurals.  Good acting by the guy who plays Toby, too.

So, I say you are a great writer.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 30, 2015, 11:40:04 pm »

I wrote that show after the pilot

Classic case of how the omission of one word changes the meaning entirely.

I wrote off that show.

Clearly I'm not that good of a writer after all.
A man has no signature

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 05, 2015, 09:05:58 am »

Well, that Leftovers premiere sure was something. Don't ask me what, but it was something.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 05, 2015, 09:09:03 am »

Well, that Leftovers premiere sure was something. Don't ask me what, but it was something.

It certainly was.  I love they way they reveal things in this show.  The premiere seemed heavily metaphorical; I feel like I need to watch again and think. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 05, 2015, 09:22:47 am »

Also, Fear the Walking Dead finished, and I'm really happy with the show.  I was a little wary going in because the whole "outbreak" thing has been done quite often, but here the focus was more on the individual people than on the mayhem and panic (though that was a bit of a backdrop).

Rick and Morty finale was great (favorite quotes:
"Excuse me bartender, can you make a dumb grandson pep talk?  It's one part lame advice about stuff you know nothing about, and a lot of vodka." 
"Mmm-hmm; I have a lot of vodka." 
"Okay then I'll take one of those.  I don't need the rest."

"Morty, if you go to where there is a bunch of ice cream and don't come back, then you haven't actually gone to get ice cream.   You just went where ice cream is."
)

Started watching a couple episodes of Dark Matter on Netflix.  Interesting premise; acting is not so great and it seems a tad low budget, but it seems alright.  It has the guy that plays Travis on Continuum. 

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 05, 2015, 10:11:05 am »

Seeing Dark Matter pimped on Netflix has gotten my attention, but I've not done anything with it yet. I just watched the season premiere of Continuum. I like the show, but it's going in circles now. I'm grateful this is the final season. All stories should have an end.

Though Continuum going in circles seems kind of fitting for the title.

I'm caught up on Gotham. I'm not overly thrilled with the direction they took, but I'm not turned off yet. It seems like they're just itching to get to a point where they can fast forward some years and just bring in the goddamn Batman. Watching the Riddler unfurl may be interesting.

Are people disliking the Muppet show? I've heard some negative statements about it. I didn't think it was that bad, but maybe people's hopes were too high? It's definitely not a laugh-a-minute, so if people were expecting that, it's no wonder they're disappointed. A few of the jokes made me laugh out loud, but it could stand to have more. As I think about it, though, I really dislike the opening sequence. It's so bland. Are there even captions showing? If not, then that sequence literally serves no purpose other than to pad time.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 05, 2015, 10:17:00 am »

The latest Continuum episodes have been... not that great :(  It's like everything has gone down in quality.. acting, writing, production.  It just feels a little bit rushed and hashed together.  But I'll watch it out until the end for the sake of completion. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 06, 2015, 10:49:22 pm »

Dark Matter is worth watching, I think.  Seven episodes in.  Not like the best thing ever, but good premise, interesting.   I've noticed a  number of similarities with Continuum.

I think Season 1 just finished and it's been renewed for a second  season.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 07, 2015, 08:18:36 am »

Season 2 of Scorpion is taking things to a whole new level of absurdity.  I'm pretty sure it's trolling on purpose, and it's great.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 10, 2015, 12:39:37 am »

I'm not sure what was the most confusing part... I think it would have to be the Schroedinger's bird thing.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 12, 2015, 10:47:32 am »

Well, I finished the antepenultimate episode of Continuum. Just two more to go for me.

I can agree that this season is weaker than the others. It makes me wonder if the creator had the story planned out (ala Babylon 5) or is just making shit up as they go along (ala Lost). It's kind of looking like the latter.

But it was shocking that Lucas was killed so kudos to the show for going that direction. I suppose it ought not to be too surprising in the final season, but it was still a punch to the gut.

I'm uncertain about the direction Gotham is going. I suppose I would like that direction if Barbara didn't factor so heavily into it. Nobody liked her in season 1, and I think I like her less in season 2. I mean, hey, at least Fish hasn't inexplicably returned, but that's a small consolation.

Gotham seems to be trolling canon-fans. Granted, they never specifically said Jerome is the Joker, so killing him off was not a crime against canon. I suppose his psychotic viral laugh is what ultimately creates the real Joker. Pretty cheesy. I don't outright hate it though. It just makes me purse my lips. I'm not sure if I will continue on with Gotham.

I haven't been motivated to play episode 3 of Minority Report. I was so bored with the first two episodes, I don't feel any desire to continue that show. I might as well just delete it.

Flash's opening was decent. They showed the aftereffects of the vortex and then showed the actual vortex resolution in flashbacks. It threw me at first because I forgot about the dream, so my brain was trying to reconcile the two events before remembering that one of them was a dream and didn't count. I haven't watched Arrow's season premiere yet.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 12, 2015, 11:38:13 pm »

I haven't watched any of this season's Continuum yet.  I'm actually not completely sure that I watched the final episode of last season either, because I neglected to check it off in SeriesGuide (a really great Android app).  I'll see about catching up soon though...

Haven't watched any new Gotham yet either.

I'm almost caught up on GoT, about halfway through the last season.  I am surprised at how faithfully it followed the books before rapidly derailing.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 13, 2015, 12:28:26 am »

I'm becoming more and more convinced that The Leftovers is the most original and, well, boldest show on TV.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 14, 2015, 10:04:56 am »

Okay, feeling slightly better about Gotham now that they're redirecting the focus to Penguin. Still too much Barbara for my taste.

The Riddler arc feels like it's taking too long to unfold, but that's the problem with long seasons. They can't just rush the end product. To a degree, I might be happier with 6-episode runs.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 19, 2015, 09:31:47 am »

Ever since Season 4, The Walking Dead has had at least one episode a season where Carol is just a complete badass and standout character, basically stealing the episode.  The actress is really great. 

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: October 20, 2015, 02:32:02 am »

Just watched the pilot for Blindspot.  Premise is really interesting (I'm a sucker for these odd concept sci-fi-ish shows) and the lead actress is good (Lady Sif from Thor).  The non-foundational case-of-the-week stuff in the pilot was mediocre, but there wasn't really much time for it so oh well.

Anybody else watch it?  Thoughts?

I've seen the previews for it.. it looks really gimmicky.  The premise reminds me of John Doe, which I don't know, didn't feel as "gimmicky" to me.  I just feel I'd have a hard time buying into it.

They actually explain enough that I can suspend disbelief and come up with theories on some other parts of it.  But yeah, I'm intrigued by the gimmicky stuff.  I was also disappointed when Flash Forward and Awake were cancelled.

Watched a couple more episodes of Blindspot.  Haven't caught up yet, but I am liking it so far.  The pilot was mediocre due to all the (necessary) exposition, but I was impressed by the way they've handled the next two episodes.  Shows like this often spend a lot of the early going treading water on the relatively generic case-of-the-week stuff, keeping the serialized elements at a frustratingly slow burn.  Person of Interest felt that way to me (before it became amazing), for example.  I'm happy to say that Blindspot has, so far at least, done pretty there.  The two cases felt different, including the way the tattoos were connected.  More importantly, the show has already subverted genre tropes and made surprising progress in providing answers.  It's probably less substantial than it feels, but it's still very nice to see.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 20, 2015, 07:57:45 am »

I finished watching Continuum. I suppose it was all right. As stated before, the final season is considerably weaker than the beginning of the show. It felt like the producers told SyFy at the end of season 3, "We know the show is dragging. Give us six more episodes to wrap things up." And I'm actually grateful for that. An unresolved cliffhanger would have been annoying.

But the true motivation of future Kellogg's invasion was amusing, especially considering who he was willing to exploit. And I felt like they kept us guessing with present Kellogg's game plan.

The ending felt a little too saccharin, but how else can you end the show? A bleak ending certainly could have been possible, but for a four-season show, probably unsatisfying. Besides, they ramped up the stakes by killing off Lucas and Travis, who had become pretty strong characters in their own right.

I still liked the show. Really strong first season, and that inertia carried me through the remaining seasons. Just like any other time-travel story, paradoxes abound, and you just have to shrug and roll with it. At least they acknowledged surprise that killing Kellogg's grandmother didn't erase Kellogg from the timeline. That set the mood early with the audience to just accept it.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
Re: TV shows
« Reply #392 on: October 20, 2015, 08:04:58 am »

Also renamed this topic. I was thinking that shows from other countries might be discussed, and I didn't want those to get lost in the thread. But no other threads were started for those, so I might as well just open this up to all TV shows.
A man has no signature

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 20, 2015, 08:41:41 am »

Finally caught up and finished Season 2 of The Blacklist.

Man, Spader is awesome.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 20, 2015, 12:50:39 pm »

Also renamed this topic. I was thinking that shows from other countries might be discussed, and I didn't want those to get lost in the thread. But no other threads were started for those, so I might as well just open this up to all TV shows.

I'd noticed that Continuum had been discussed here despite being Canadian, but didn't want to derail the conversation by pointing out it should be in a different thread.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 20, 2015, 01:03:30 pm »

I'd noticed that Continuum had been discussed here despite being Canadian, but didn't want to derail the conversation by pointing out it should be in a different thread.

That hypocrisy also motivated the name change. While it was produced in Canada, it was shown in America, but those lines get blurrier as our world gets a little bit smaller, so screw it.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 20, 2015, 01:13:04 pm »
+1

I finished watching Continuum. I suppose it was all right. As stated before, the final season is considerably weaker than the beginning of the show. It felt like the producers told SyFy at the end of season 3, "We know the show is dragging. Give us six more episodes to wrap things up." And I'm actually grateful for that. An unresolved cliffhanger would have been annoying.

But the true motivation of future Kellogg's invasion was amusing, especially considering who he was willing to exploit. And I felt like they kept us guessing with present Kellogg's game plan.

The ending felt a little too saccharin, but how else can you end the show? A bleak ending certainly could have been possible, but for a four-season show, probably unsatisfying. Besides, they ramped up the stakes by killing off Lucas and Travis, who had become pretty strong characters in their own right.

I still liked the show. Really strong first season, and that inertia carried me through the remaining seasons. Just like any other time-travel story, paradoxes abound, and you just have to shrug and roll with it. At least they acknowledged surprise that killing Kellogg's grandmother didn't erase Kellogg from the timeline. That set the mood early with the audience to just accept it.

I agree with most of this, though ultimately, Kiera didn't get to go home to her family.  She didn't even go home.  She went to a different future with a different Kiera and her family, and she would forever be outside and never be with "her" son and husband.  The final scene was her crying, after all.  And I'd be a little more critical of how far the quality fell off in the last Season.  I know they were rushed to tie everything up, but writing, dialogue, acting.. it was all just bad.  Plotwise, I didn't have a big issue; that's where the story went so that's fine.  But execution was not good.  And killing off Travis and Lucas raised the "stakes", but it also wasn't handled well.  It just felt very... cheap.  Especially Travis, it felt very contrived for the sake of him making a heroic sacrifice.  That's fine, but it should come about more organically.  Basically, they died just for the sake of having their characters die, not because it really helped the story.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 29, 2015, 01:26:44 am »

Whoa.  Whoaaa.  I just watched the most recent episode of Gravity Falls and I can't believe they got away with this stuff on a children's show.  Incredible.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 29, 2015, 06:50:37 am »

Are people watching the new season of The Flash?

KING FREAKING SHARK!

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 29, 2015, 01:04:53 pm »

Are people watching the new season of The Flash?

KING FREAKING SHARK!

I had no idea how willing the Flash was to embrace the silliness of comic books. For whatever reason I thought it would just be toned down, gritty human style characters from the stories. I am now going to watch this.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.