Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279164 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
Re: New TV shows (American edition)
« Reply #325 on: July 27, 2015, 08:28:56 am »

So Wayward Pines ended pretty lacklusterly.. it's like ideas are okay(ish) but execution is poor. 

Can't disagree there. It felt rushed. There was a lot to work out, and it may have devoted too much time to the action sequence. It's like the show is telling people, "Yeah, we know it's slow-going, but here are some guns to make it all worthwhile!" I'd rather have Rover from the Prisoner.

I'm not sure if they did go this route and I just missed it, but I was thinking that it'd be cool if the first batch of subjects were wiped out by Pilcher in much the same way. In the flashback, there was a strong indication that the townspeople turned on each other, but what if the real story was that Pilcher unleashed the abbies on them as well? It could still be interpreted that way, but I think it would have really shown how insane he was if he just kept Noahing the project.

At least this show had a better resolution than the Prisoner. It wasn't a middle finger raised to the fan base.

The very ending kind of reminded me of the story (either by Dick or Heinlein; I forget) where the character discovers hanging bodies in the town and understandably freaks out, but the other people don't. They were taken over by aliens, and the freak-out was how they knew that the character was not one of them. He was captured and hung up in order to root out other nonaliens.

While the ending is interesting in that it just continues the cycle, it just seems so implausible, even taking into account the crazy zealotry of the kids. I guess they rose up against the adults ala Children of the Corn? I think they were trying to whet the audience's appetite for next season. I have my doubts that it'll happen, and I'm not sure I would watch if they did have a second season.

In general, it was a neat show. It was a little shocking at first because the show killed off a well-known actor, but the teeth were quickly dulled as the season moved on. There is room for a second season, but I might not watch it. We'll see how I feel about it if it should happen. I kind of hope it doesn't. It was a decent enough 10-hour movie.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 27, 2015, 09:03:03 am »

Yeah, I agree to pretty much all of that.

In other news, last night's True Detective was awesome.  That knife move in particular, and I loved how she just went on ruthless automode when threatened..

Also, Season 2 of Rick and Morty aired last night.  Best show ever.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 27, 2015, 02:32:17 pm »
+1

Are you certain about that?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 27, 2015, 02:35:21 pm »

Are you certain about that?

Yes, because I watched it last night, and multiple adverts/promos claimed it was the premiere.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 27, 2015, 02:42:28 pm »

What might be confusing people is that the first two episodes leaked a couple weeks ago. That or eHal is pointing out that just an episode aired last night, not the whole of Season 2.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: July 27, 2015, 02:43:55 pm »

Well let's pretend I said "premiered", as in the first episode aired.

Though actually I had assumed he was poking at the "best show ever" comment, and the joke was that I was intentionally misinterpreting him to think he was questioning the other statement.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 27, 2015, 02:52:55 pm »

The joke was that the new episode has to do with certainty.  Come on guys.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 27, 2015, 02:56:43 pm »

The joke was that the new episode has to do with certainty.  Come on guys.

Dammit!  Good call.

TheEmerged

• Swindler
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 28, 2015, 12:42:35 pm »

RE: Flash.  There are actually numerous callbacks to the original series.  Besides "Dad" being the original actor (and giving that whole "...and justice for my father" thing an interesting twist), they used footage from the original series during Mark Hamil's return as Trickster, the mayor of Central City was played by one of the actors for the cops in the original series, the CEO of a rival research firm to STAR Labs was the actress for Tina (the love interest\scientist from the original), the theme snuck its way into the background music several times...

...oh, and Mark Hamil's Trickster gets an absolutely evil callback to one of his other roles during that episode as well.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 31, 2015, 11:26:39 am »

By the way, anyone watch Halt and Catch Fire?  It looks like it might be good, but sometimes these dramas take some getting in to.  Lee Pace is in it, who I've always liked when I've seen him.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 18, 2015, 08:54:49 am »
+1

I finally caught up on Arrow. Pretty neat season 3 arc. I've not been acquainted with Ra's al Ghul outside of Arkham City and Christopher Nolan's Batman. His actions here seem consistent with how he's portrayed in those stories.

The problem with watching season 3 now is that I already watched the Flash while it was airing. This made the crossovers a little wonky. Whilst watching Flash, I caught the Arrow cameos, but I couldn't really see the big picture. And then when binge-watching Arrow several months after having watched Flash, I had to try to remember where the story was between those two. Also, now the beginning of the Flash makes more sense to me when he travels to Starling City to confide in Oliver about his newfound hero status. Not having watched Arrow first, I wasn't even aware that Flash was really a spin-off.

And if I had not watched the Flash, I would not have known that Black Canary had some gear modified by Cisco to be more effective in crimefighting. Also, I got some spoilers on Black Canary. Whilst binge-watching, it was like one day Black Canary just suddenly gained sonic abilities.

When the new seasons of the Flash and Arrow come on board, I need to make sure I watch them concomitantly. This is not how I normally watch television shows, so it'll be a little change. Then there's like the quasi-Avengers/Justice League show based on these characters, which I'm actually looking forward to.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 18, 2015, 12:38:09 pm »

You may have to add in Legends of Tomorrow as well, which is a second spinoff.

I felt similarly when I Netflix'd through Buffy before Angel.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 18, 2015, 02:24:12 pm »

Yeah, bingeing through Buffy also left me with that kind of disconnect. I knew something happened off-screen, but I didn't know what it was.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 26, 2015, 10:07:38 am »

I finished the first season of the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. It was a good series, though I feel some of my friends hyped it way more than it deserved. Still, it was better than most of the sitcom schlock on network TV, so I still win.

It was steeped in absurdity, which was part of its charm and allowed for some interesting social commentary (the black guy getting more respect in NYC when he dressed as a werewolf was amusing yet uncomfortable).

The ending of this season was weak. Mostly it was the trial that put me off. There were plenty of opportunities for poking fun at the legal system, but the inept prosecutors were just way over the top, I felt, which is a strange sentiment considering how outrageously the class warfare was framed in this show.

It ended fairly neatly. I think there was only one real cliffhanger. The other threads were tied up neatly but with enough slack that it can be pulled loose for season 2, which I think has been confirmed. I'll certainly watch it. I had thought that the whole stranger-in-a-strange-land motif would get old, but they handled it decently enough. I could certainly see it petering out in season 2, so I hope they don't beat that like a dead horse.

Thinking of trying out Wet Hot American Summer. I never saw the movie, though. I get the feeling that the movie is not required viewing.
A man has no signature

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 26, 2015, 10:12:15 am »

I just finished unbreakable kimmy schmidt too.  I loved it.  I agree that the court scene wasn't great though...

I started Wet Hot American Summer because I liked a lot of the people in it, but I thought it was dumb (not having seen the movie either)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 26, 2015, 11:24:44 am »

I started Wet Hot American Summer because I liked a lot of the people in it, but I thought it was dumb (not having seen the movie either)

Huh, that's too bad. I know it's gotten a fairly high rating on Rotten Tomatoes, but I don't normally look there for TV shows.

I agree that the cast is impressive, and I may try it out anyway. People have different tolerance levels for dumb of different flavors, so maybe I can enjoy this one. I suppose technically someone could turn their nose up at Kimmy Schmidt because a lot of that humor is dumb, but then they'd miss out on the smart bits.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 26, 2015, 11:29:40 am »
+1

Watch The State.  The creative team (or various parts of it) behind that show went on to do a number of projects, including Reno 911, Stella, Wet Hot American Summer, and others.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 26, 2015, 02:38:02 pm »

It ended fairly neatly. I think there was only one real cliffhanger. The other threads were tied up neatly but with enough slack that it can be pulled loose for season 2, which I think has been confirmed.

I actually thought this was one of the most interesting things about how the season ended. Many of the characters (Titus, Jacqueline, Xan, Dong) are in a state of transition in their lives so they can be reinvented in between seasons 1 and 2 if the writers want to. Titus recently found fame and has been revealed to be running from his wife, Jacqueline has decided to move to South Dakota, Xan has been adopted by nerdy relatives, Dong is now married for immigration reasons. I'm definitely excited to watch the second season to see how the writers take the opportunity they created to change the way the show works.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 06, 2015, 07:19:55 pm »
+1

I queued up Continuum on Netflix based on some recommendations. I don't even remember who recommended it. It's been sitting there for a while now.

This weekend I started watching it. I'm on episode 5 so far. Holy shit, this show is engaging. It has the usual weird time-travel stuff, but most time-travel stories rely on characters and plot to gloss over the weirdness of time travel. And it's really strong in plot and characters.

I think what is really reeling me in is that the bad guys have their own stories and personalities where the audience can connect with them...or at least understand them far better than just generic bad guys. I'm reminded of the replicants in Blade Runner. In such a short movie, we didn't get to truly appreciate the personalities of all of the replicants. This show is really drawing out the backstories and feeding us bit by bit. Of course, I say this after only 5 episodes.

Kind of sad I just now got into this gem. I understand from Wikipedia that the final season is airing this fall. I'll set up my DVR to be ready when I finish the first three seasons.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 07, 2015, 12:40:19 pm »

I might have recommended Continuum.  Or maybe I read the same recommendation here and started it sooner.

The final season has already started airing... last Friday, I think.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: September 07, 2015, 08:08:25 pm »
+1

Every new episode of The Strain takes what little hope I have left that the show will redeem itself and mercilessly beats it into a bloody pulp.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 08, 2015, 02:18:17 am »
+1

I queued up Continuum on Netflix based on some recommendations. I don't even remember who recommended it. It's been sitting there for a while now.

This weekend I started watching it. I'm on episode 5 so far. Holy shit, this show is engaging. It has the usual weird time-travel stuff, but most time-travel stories rely on characters and plot to gloss over the weirdness of time travel. And it's really strong in plot and characters.

I think what is really reeling me in is that the bad guys have their own stories and personalities where the audience can connect with them...or at least understand them far better than just generic bad guys. I'm reminded of the replicants in Blade Runner. In such a short movie, we didn't get to truly appreciate the personalities of all of the replicants. This show is really drawing out the backstories and feeding us bit by bit. Of course, I say this after only 5 episodes.

Kind of sad I just now got into this gem. I understand from Wikipedia that the final season is airing this fall. I'll set up my DVR to be ready when I finish the first three seasons.

My favourite part of Continuum is that they blow up the office building I used to work at in the season finale.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: September 08, 2015, 09:13:11 am »
+1

Watched the first four episodes of Continuum last night.  Pretty engaging.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 20, 2015, 04:14:29 pm »

Caught up with Continuum except for last Friday's episode.  It does have some flaws. (Specifically, one of the good things about the shows is that both the good guys and bad guys are developed and shades of grey, but a lot of the auxiliary characters are one-dimensional (especially in the future 'flashbacks', where everyone working for the big company is just evil and has no value of human life).  Also, some of the dilemmas that the characters find themselves in (generally for plot development) feel pretty forced.)  However, it's still pretty enjoyable to watch. 

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: September 21, 2015, 10:30:01 am »

Finally started Season 5 of Community.  I'm torn.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.