Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279163 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: New TV shows (American edition)
« Reply #300 on: June 22, 2015, 10:12:30 am »

And Hannibal is still awesome.  Episode 2 of Season 3 was my favorite so far; really well done I think.

Wayward Pines is interesting.. I don't know that the plot really holds up, but it's continually making me wonder where they're going to go with things, and I like that.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 22, 2015, 05:34:17 pm »

Looks like news broke today that NBC isn't going to renew Hannibal for Season 4 :(  There have been a lot of rumors about the showmakers looking to continue the series elsewhere (e.g., Netflix) in case this happened, so I hope that's what we get. 

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 22, 2015, 05:51:40 pm »

I bet Netflix is already salivating at the possibility of picking up Hannibal.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 22, 2015, 10:12:06 pm »
+1

Maybe they are just thinking about his liver, with a nice Chianti and some fava beans.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 28, 2015, 01:52:50 am »

Well, Wayward Pines has revealed the main twist (that I know of). Now it's less like the Prisoner and more like the Matrix.
A man has no signature

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 28, 2015, 05:57:56 am »

I bet Netflix is already salivating at the possibility of picking up Hannibal.

Actually that's unlikely to happen, because Amazon has the rights to it's online streaming, and Amazon is not going to give more ammo to Netflix. And it looks like they're reluctant to pick it up themselves so... things don't look too good for Hannibal unfortunately.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 01, 2015, 07:35:56 pm »

Did anyone see Billy & Billie, the Adam Brody vehicle made by DirecTV?

It's a ten episode season and worth watching in one sitting.  Greatly edgy, funny, and awkward all at once.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 02, 2015, 04:55:51 pm »
+1

Is anyone as excited as I am about Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp, the new series coming at the end of the month on Netflix?

This is a prequel to Wet Hot American Summer a spoof of teen camp comedies. Both the movie and show feature some of my favourite comedians. The trailer for the show just came out:
http://splitsider.com/2015/07/heres-the-new-trailer-and-poster-for-wet-hot-american-summer-first-day-of-camp/

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 03, 2015, 06:14:48 am »

Recently started Sense8 and liking it.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 04, 2015, 12:04:41 am »

Recently started Sense8 and liking it.

I feel obligated to watch it because they flipped a car outside my apartment during filming. Haven't done so yet.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 04, 2015, 05:01:48 am »

It's... both great and terrible. I mostly enjoyed it, but I could see completely hating it.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 04, 2015, 12:09:14 pm »

I watched the first episode of Another Period. It's....something. Got some funny bits. Better than most of what Comedy Central puts out.

Trying to view this objectively since I have a crush on Riki.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 11, 2015, 12:18:48 am »

So... Wayward Pines.  I like a lot of the ideas, but the writing seems a bit week and the dialogue seems forced.  I feel like it needs more.. quirkiness, or style, or something.  Anyway, I still want to watch the rest of it, but I'm not so interested.

The Strain Season 2 starts Sunday..  man I'm more excited for it than I thought I'd be.  So many problems, but I still want to watch it.  Really hope this season picks up.

True Detective... people on imdb boards are trashing it.  I do not understand a single criticism.. I just want to watch and watch.  Okay, doesn't have the same kind of wonderment that Season 1 did, but I think it's been great so far and I'm looking forward to learning more about these characters.

Walking Dead Season 6 trailer went out today from comic con.  It's going to be awesome.  Kind of gives away stuff, but I already knew what direction it was going. 

Hannibal last night... wow that was weird.  I have to rewatch it... I had to do work last night while I was watching and couldn't pay full attention.  I think I'll have to rewatch this entire season.

What else.. watched five seasons of Archer on Netflix.. superb.  Been watching House of Cards, on Season 2.  Very good, but politics kind of bores me, so that mitigates it a bit.

Leftovers starts in October along with Walking Dead, I think.  Can't wait.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 11, 2015, 10:05:53 am »

Re : True Detective, I've only watched one episode of season 2 so far, but it feels like it has become a caricature of itself. It's trying so hard to be edgy, dark and gritty that it's just laughable.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 11, 2015, 11:52:10 am »

Re : True Detective, I've only watched one episode of season 2 so far, but it feels like it has become a caricature of itself. It's trying so hard to be edgy, dark and gritty that it's just laughable.

I admit I had that feeling for the first half hour or so of the first episode. Then I started to get into the story.  Rewatching, and seeing more episodes, it I liked it much better.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: July 12, 2015, 01:56:59 pm »

I admit I had that feeling for the first half hour or so of the first episode. Then I started to get into the story.  Rewatching, and seeing more episodes, it I liked it much better.

I watched the first two episodes and wasn't particularly compelled. It seems like everyone just tries to be more brooding than the person standing next to them. Probably won't finish the season.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 12, 2015, 06:16:05 pm »

So... Wayward Pines.  I like a lot of the ideas, but the writing seems a bit week and the dialogue seems forced.  I feel like it needs more.. quirkiness, or style, or something.  Anyway, I still want to watch the rest of it, but I'm not so interested.

I'm still an episode behind, so keep in mind that my words come from partial ignorance.

It's an interesting shift they did. And with what Kate is saying, there may be another shift. Of course, this is M. Night, so it could become a caricature of "It's a twist!"

Though I must say, that has to have been one of the most awkward sex ed classes ever. Only the Meaning of Life could have been more awkward.

I'm a bit disappointed in how they're chickening out with killing off the son. I was expecting the explosion, but that bomb was really weak. I was thinking that it's pretty edgy to kill off not just a main character but also a kid. Since she survived, I'm sure he will too.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 12, 2015, 08:20:12 pm »

I'm still an episode behind, so keep in mind that my words come from partial ignorance.

It's an interesting shift they did. And with what Kate is saying, there may be another shift. Of course, this is M. Night, so it could become a caricature of "It's a twist!"

Though I must say, that has to have been one of the most awkward sex ed classes ever. Only the Meaning of Life could have been more awkward.

I'm a bit disappointed in how they're chickening out with killing off the son. I was expecting the explosion, but that bomb was really weak. I was thinking that it's pretty edgy to kill off not just a main character but also a kid. Since she survived, I'm sure he will too.

I agree with this.  The show would benefit from being more... risk taking, maybe.  Having a well-known actress getting her throat slit in the second episode, and killing off another big name was a good start to indicate this would not be run-of-the-mill, but the latest episodes have felt a little bit like the danger is forced.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 12, 2015, 10:24:37 pm »

I agree with this.  The show would benefit from being more... risk taking, maybe.  Having a well-known actress getting her throat slit in the second episode, and killing off another big name was a good start to indicate this would not be run-of-the-mill, but the latest episodes have felt a little bit like the danger is forced.

Yes, I thought those moves were actually quite bold. It tells the audience that the show does not fuck around.

One thing I liked about 24 before it got ridiculously repetitive is that no character was safe. Anyone could be killed. Well, except for Jack Bauer. That was the one sacred cow that you knew they weren't going to kill. But man, how awesome if they did!
A man has no signature

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 13, 2015, 02:14:26 am »

Tonight I discussed my top ten all time comedy shows with friends. I came up with (in vague order):

Arrested Development
Parks and Recreation
30 Rock
The Office
Please Like Me
Veep
Broad City
Happy Endings
Cougar Town
Silicon Valley
Malcolm in the Middle
(Honorable mentions go to Brooklyn 99 and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, which could make the list in their lifetimes. Seinfeld gets a mention because it is pretty legendary.)

Common threads: newer shows and no laugh tracks. I think tv comedy is getting better.

Edit: forgot to include Broad City on the list. It's now a top 11.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:25:07 pm by Dsell »
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 13, 2015, 08:41:49 am »
+1

Of that list, I've watched Arrested Development, Malcolm in the Middle, and Parks and Recreation. I do think those shows are better because of the lack of laugh track.

Laugh tracks remove all subtlety from a comedy. You are told when to laugh. As a result, the jokes have to be more obvious. Even if there is an attempt at clever wordsmithing or innuendo, the producers have to bring it to the forefront because how weird is it to insert laughter at a spot that is seemingly not funny? Not to confuse this with inserting laughter after an obviously lame joke.

I've been impressed by those three shows because they had good writing and didn't need to rely on laugh tracks to tell you when they cracked a joke. In fact, I shudder to think how the shows would have looked with a laugh track. I'm sure someone did an experiment where he inserted a laugh track into an episode of a show without a laugh track. It would be pretty awkward I think.

One of my favorite gags in Arrested Development was when Gob suspected his girlfriend of cheating on him with some guy named Hermano, being totally unaware of the fact that she is speaking to her hermano, which is brother in Spanish. At one point in his ranting, he tells his own brother, "Thanks mon frere - that means brother in French. I don't know how I know that; I took 3 years of Spanish." That kind of layered joke won't hit everyone at the same time. Some people pick up on it right away. Some others need just a couple of seconds for the joke to sink in. And possibly there are some people who just won't get the connection, but they can move on because the episode is enjoyable to watch.

A laugh track after that joke would have been ugly. How do you time it? If you place it right away, then the people who need to marinate in the joke first won't have that opportunity because they're being told, "Isn't that funny?" If you place it a second after the joke, then the people who get it right away will wonder if another joke's been told. In either case, people who don't make the connection will shrug their shoulders at the weird time that there was laughter. Why is that so funny?

I loathe laugh tracks. I watch a few shows with them (That '70s Show, WKRP), but ugh. I was on a flight that showed an episode of Friends. I mostly like Friends; there were some dumb shit on that show, but they had some pretty good jokes. Putting in those cheap headphones that transmit air(?) made everything sound tinny and higher-pitched. That laugh track just drilled through my skull and humped my brain. I couldn't stand it.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 13, 2015, 01:48:32 pm »
+2

Laugh track timing is pretty different, I think.  If you have a laugh track, the actors have to pause to give it time instead of proceeding with their lines.  You may not notice it in the moment, but it looks hilariously awful if the laugh track is removed.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 24, 2015, 08:34:14 am »

So Wayward Pines ended pretty lacklusterly.. it's like ideas are okay(ish) but execution is poor. 

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 24, 2015, 01:24:18 pm »

I'm enjoying Mr. Robot a lot. It inherits a lot from Fight Club, but so far seems pretty aware of the fact and just uses the fact that the audience has probably seen Fight Club as additional ways to establish how unreliable the narrator is.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 24, 2015, 01:29:43 pm »

I started watching Humans. It seems pretty good so far.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 21 queries.