Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279548 times)

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
Re: New TV shows (American edition)
« Reply #275 on: May 24, 2015, 06:31:14 am »

@Robz re Wilson Fisk : My opinion on his performance is... very mixed. Obviously he's chewing scenery, and sometimes that works, since you know, this is a comic book world (as a sidenote, I do not read comic books, so I do not care about source material). Many actually love his performance... I'm mixed personally, but I thought it was interesting to watchat least.

But rally what makes the show for me is the Foggy/Karen/Matt relationship. Which is not particularly original, but it's well done, especially in the episode where Foggy learns about Daredevil. Not a great show by any means, and I get how Vincent d'Onofrio/Wilson Fisk can be off-putting, but as someone who has no attachment or knowledge of the source material, I did still enjoy it.

What did you think of Wilson Fisk's henchman, Wesley's the name I think ? He was also hamming it up, but I found him absolutely delightful.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 06:32:23 am by Teproc »
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 24, 2015, 07:40:06 am »

I thought Vincent D'Onofrio's performance was great.  It was one of my favorite things about the show; especially when you see him lose control.  The episode that focused on him (where they showed him as a kid) was probably my favorite. 

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 24, 2015, 10:19:15 am »

@Robz re Wilson Fisk : My opinion on his performance is... very mixed. Obviously he's chewing scenery, and sometimes that works, since you know, this is a comic book world (as a sidenote, I do not read comic books, so I do not care about source material). Many actually love his performance... I'm mixed personally, but I thought it was interesting to watchat least.

But rally what makes the show for me is the Foggy/Karen/Matt relationship. Which is not particularly original, but it's well done, especially in the episode where Foggy learns about Daredevil. Not a great show by any means, and I get how Vincent d'Onofrio/Wilson Fisk can be off-putting, but as someone who has no attachment or knowledge of the source material, I did still enjoy it.

What did you think of Wilson Fisk's henchman, Wesley's the name I think ? He was also hamming it up, but I found him absolutely delightful.

The Foggy/Karen/Matt dynamic was okay, but certainly not better than an average-quality TV show.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 24, 2015, 10:22:08 am »

I thought Vincent D'Onofrio's performance was great.  It was one of my favorite things about the show; especially when you see him lose control.  The episode that focused on him (where they showed him as a kid) was probably my favorite.

So your reaction seems to be the more common one, and I am completely mystified. I would rank his performance as among the worst I have ever seen in any TV show. I prefer "plausible" villains with some layers. He was just an irritated bald baby doing a terrible Shakespeare impression while wining about "my city this, my city that." What do you mean lose control? He was never in control. He flew off the handle every time something went wrong. And ugh, that generic backstory.

I really hated it, you guys.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 24, 2015, 11:45:28 am »

I'll admit that every time someone says "this city" on Daredevil (mostly Wilson Fisk and Matt Murdock), I chuckle. But yeah, it's the tone they're going for, and obviously that doesn't always work for everyone, nor should it.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 24, 2015, 01:07:47 pm »

So your reaction seems to be the more common one, and I am completely mystified. I would rank his performance as among the worst I have ever seen in any TV show. I prefer "plausible" villains with some layers. He was just an irritated bald baby doing a terrible Shakespeare impression while wining about "my city this, my city that." What do you mean lose control? He was never in control. He flew off the handle every time something went wrong. And ugh, that generic backstory.

I really hated it, you guys.

Right, but when he wasn't flying off the handle you could tell he was just barely keeping it contained.   A child killing his own father is not that generic, but even if it were, who cares?  The performance was very good and true to the character that was being portrayed.. (I mean the TV character, I never really read the comics).  Perhaps the motivations were not that believable, but as far as supervillains go it was better than most.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 24, 2015, 01:09:06 pm »

Also, Wesley was great, and the entire unveiling of Kingpin was good.  I like how they didn't actually show him until episode 3 or so.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 24, 2015, 01:53:58 pm »
+1

Also, Wesley was great, and the entire unveiling of Kingpin was good.  I like how they didn't actually show him until episode 3 or so.

I liked that too. I wish they had continued not showing him.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 24, 2015, 05:29:56 pm »

I liked that too. I wish they had continued not showing him.

I'm probably not going to be able to see it from your perspective.  To me it was just about as good of a superhero adaptation as there has been.  I liked the characters, and I cared about them.  I was engrossed in what drove them, what their struggles were, their safety/wellbeing, their emotional state, etc.  I liked the storytelling, especially how it was drawn out, and you would get backstory through flashback to give more insight on the characters.

Also, the scene in the Trask episode where they show his morning routine, obviously the same every single morning, with an array of identical suits and shirts, and finally when he looks at the mirror and you see a little boy staring back.. I thought that was amazingly well done.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 24, 2015, 07:28:58 pm »

In the next couple of weeks, Season Two of The Last Ship starts.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: May 26, 2015, 01:10:05 pm »

For Silicon Valley fans.  You will have want to have watched last Sunday's episode.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 26, 2015, 03:58:09 pm »

Binge-watched Gotham since I was so far behind. I only have the season finale to watch (hopefully tonight). I recall reading not-so-positive reviews of it, so I won't raise my expectations.

It does feel like the plotlines were just scattered all over the place. I always felt that Bruce's story arc was unnecessary, but funnily enough, I'm finding his investigation into his company a little more interesting. Glad to see the Riddler is heading down his life of crime. I'm not too surprised that his first murder was set up so that we sympathize with Nygma. I guess his lust for crime will shortly follow. Penguin, on the other hand, is just an amoral shit, and I'm glad that he's evolving into this villain that we just can't feel sorry for (his mother, on the other hand, is very sympathy-worthy). I kind of enjoyed watching him spark the mob war, though I was expecting that to come sooner.

Believe it not, I was enjoying the Fish story but not because of Fish. The story felt way out of place. It's like someone had a cool idea for a movie but couldn't pitch a screenplay for the silver screen, so he shoehorned it into Gotham. I would have enjoyed that storyline much more in an entirely different movie, though it seems odd that she'd be rewarded with undoing her act of defiance (you can see what I mean). I wasn't fond of that development.

And then Barbara… I did not feel any sympathy toward her for some reason, not even when she was being tortured. Breaking her mind was a little interesting, but it wasn't enough to grab me.

I'll have to see how these plotlines wrap up in the season finale.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 04, 2015, 11:19:15 pm »

Hannibal premiere.  Man, I love this show.  I can't wait to see this season unfold. 

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 09, 2015, 12:53:30 am »
+2

Late to the party, but now definitely hooked on The Flash.  About 16 episodes into Season 1 so far.

Surprised I liked it, given I am neither a DC Comics or Glee fan.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 09, 2015, 03:15:55 am »

Late to the party, but now definitely hooked on The Flash.  About 16 episodes into Season 1 so far.

I think most of the superheroes films and TV shows have done a pretty good job of being accessible to newcomers while still satisfying long-time fans with various Easter eggs and subtle references.  I've never read any of the old (or new) comics, but I'm captivated by the MCU and all the DC shows.

Glee isn't really related, other than the actor.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 09, 2015, 03:58:20 am »

I think most of the superheroes films and TV shows have done a pretty good job of being accessible to newcomers while still satisfying long-time fans with various Easter eggs and subtle references.  I've never read any of the old (or new) comics, but I'm captivated by the MCU and all the DC shows.

Glee isn't really related, other than the actor.

Yeah, I knew very little of The Flaah before watching.  Didn't even realize the dad was the original Flash.

Still, seems like Glee fans would gravitate for the abs.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 09, 2015, 12:17:59 pm »

I like the flash because it bucks the recent trend of darker and grittier comic book adaptations of late. And not that there aren't really dark comics out there that are really good, but the flash is light and fun and it's refreshing. It's a show that knows it's a comic book and embraces it. Almost feels like a live action cartoon at times. It also helps that I've always been a total flash fanboy.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 09, 2015, 12:35:34 pm »
+3

The Community finale was great guys. If any of you watched it in its early seasons, you should watch season 6, it's really good. Season 5 was pretty decent too.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 09, 2015, 12:54:01 pm »

The Community finale was great guys. If any of you watched it in its early seasons, you should watch season 6, it's really good. Season 5 was pretty decent too.

I haven't watched this season yet, but I intend to.  I'm going to get to binge!

Any concrete plans for a movie yet?

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 09, 2015, 01:00:49 pm »

I haven't watched this season yet, but I intend to.  I'm going to get to binge!

Any concrete plans for a movie yet?

They ended the season with the words "#AndAMovie", so the show creators are really into making one. There has been no word on the internets if one has been signed or started yet though, so I assume they are in talks to create one, but haven't finalized it yet.

Also the last episode was great. Tugged all my heart strings, and made me laugh too.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 09, 2015, 01:18:50 pm »

I mean they left the door open, but I would bet against it, just because I have a hard time imagining a Community movie making much profit. Beyond the satisfaction of fullfilling the #sixseasonsandamovie thing, I'd be very interested to see what Harmon does with it, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 09, 2015, 01:20:13 pm »

They could try crowdfunding it.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 09, 2015, 01:38:16 pm »

I think if Sony (the right's holder for the possible movie apparently) decides they don't want to make the movie they probably will just crowdfund it. It'll meet it's goal, do poorly at the box office and do well on Netflix/other home watching places.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 10, 2015, 01:39:13 am »

I like the flash because it bucks the recent trend of darker and grittier comic book adaptations of late. And not that there aren't really dark comics out there that are really good, but the flash is light and fun and it's refreshing. It's a show that knows it's a comic book and embraces it. Almost feels like a live action cartoon at times. It also helps that I've always been a total flash fanboy.

I think this is spot on.

I mean, the scenes where Barry and/or Joe have to act incredibly unaware are annoying (wait, the bomb is a distraction?), and man the whole Iris thing is as bad as Lorrie in the Walking Dead, but overall, not much to complain about.

I'm not yet to Grodd, which just seems awesome.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 22, 2015, 10:10:57 am »

So, True Detective Season 2 premiere.  I found it a little bit hard to get in to, but then again for the first season, I didn't know anything about it ahead of time and didn't start watching until the first couple episodes had aired.  I had seen a few scenes as the TV was on kind of in the background, and it intrigued me enough to watch from the beginning.  So it's hard to compare here.

So anyway, I felt a little lukewarm towards it for the first 30 minutes or so, but I gradually became involved and wanted to know what's going on, and what's up with these people, and by the end I began to like the style of it. 
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.276 seconds with 22 queries.