Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279499 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
Re: New TV shows (American edition)
« Reply #250 on: April 28, 2015, 10:00:01 am »

Gah, we're like six episodes behind on Agents of SHIELD, and we're going to see Avengers 2. Hmm, perhaps I should ask my European friends who have already seen the movie (and SHIELD) if it's that important to be up to date on SHIELD. Although I suspect Avengers may ruin some of the suspense in SHIELD since that show tends to shape itself on the Marvel movies as they come out.
A man has no signature

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #251 on: April 28, 2015, 02:17:28 pm »

Gah, we're like six episodes behind on Agents of SHIELD, and we're going to see Avengers 2. Hmm, perhaps I should ask my European friends who have already seen the movie (and SHIELD) if it's that important to be up to date on SHIELD. Although I suspect Avengers may ruin some of the suspense in SHIELD since that show tends to shape itself on the Marvel movies as they come out.
Well, I've only seen Season 1 of SHIELD, so I can't really say how much AoU will spoil, if anything.

Then again, I watched all the Phase Two movies before watching any of SHIELD and didn't feel like anything was given away ahead of time. Keep in mind, AoU was filmed with the idea that a LOT of people will have only watched The Avengers (2012) and nothing else before this. So connections to other things (movies/TV) will be very limited in this movie, but readily apparent in those other things.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 29, 2015, 12:12:21 am »

Well, I've only seen Season 1 of SHIELD, so I can't really say how much AoU will spoil, if anything.

Then again, I watched all the Phase Two movies before watching any of SHIELD and didn't feel like anything was given away ahead of time. Keep in mind, AoU was filmed with the idea that a LOT of people will have only watched The Avengers (2012) and nothing else before this. So connections to other things (movies/TV) will be very limited in this movie, but readily apparent in those other things.

Tonight's episode seems to have some setup for AoU.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 29, 2015, 01:32:29 pm »

So, penultimate Gotham episode.. I found myself simultaneously thinking "this is so stupid" and kind of liking it.  I realized the show should be viewed as more of a dark comedy.   The entire thing with Barbara convinced me of that.   Originally, I was hoping that it would be more of a gritty drama.  This change of expectation makes it a little better, maybe. The writing is still fairly bad in places. (They could have given the Ogre more interesting things to say than "You're the one," for instance.)  But, hey, people are dying with hapless abandon, and that can only improve the show. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 05, 2015, 12:30:14 am »

Well, Season Finale of Gotham sucked.  Except next season may actually be better because the worst characters in the history of television were finally killed off.  As usual, Riddler was the redeeming part.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: May 05, 2015, 05:41:33 am »

Agreed on all counts. It sucked, Riddler was the only redeeming part and next season still feels somewhat promising.

Sadly I think we only got rid of one of the two, though? Still of course a considerable improvement.

Is season 2 confirmed? When will it begin?

I'm already dreading how they'll get Barbara and Jim back together eventually. Maybe same sort of techniques that were used on Butch will be utilized? If they just killed Barbara now, oh it's a joyous day in the Gotham universe.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 05, 2015, 09:10:07 am »

Agreed on all counts. It sucked, Riddler was the only redeeming part and next season still feels somewhat promising.

Sadly I think we only got rid of one of the two, though? Still of course a considerable improvement.

Is season 2 confirmed? When will it begin?

I'm already dreading how they'll get Barbara and Jim back together eventually. Maybe same sort of techniques that were used on Butch will be utilized? If they just killed Barbara now, oh it's a joyous day in the Gotham universe.

Oh, yeah, I was thinking Barbara got beaten to death, but I guess she was just knocked unconscious.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 05, 2015, 06:29:02 pm »

I'm not caught up, but you know they can't really kill Barbara, right?  She's canon end game.  Unless ridiculous things are happening in the last few episodes (I think I'm 3-4 behind).

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 05, 2015, 06:29:52 pm »
+1

Enjoy ridiculous things.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 05, 2015, 06:39:00 pm »

Enjoy ridiculous things.

Well OK then.  Maybe I will move Gotham up on my list.  Flash and Agents of SHIELD still have priority though...

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 05, 2015, 10:22:07 pm »
+1

Not necessarily new, but I recently watched Archer seasons 1-5 (everything on netflix right now), and I just watched the first 5 minutes of Bob's Burgers.  Having the same voice actor for Archer and Bob is just magical.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 05, 2015, 10:23:58 pm »

If you like Bob's Burgers, prepare for it to explode in quality in Season 3 (seasons 1 and 2 were written as one full season, then split and aired as two shorter seasons). What I'm saying is, if you like it, you're going to like it more.

And I personally believe even if you don't like it it's worth starting at Season 3, anybody here who watched early episodes and wasn't a fan.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 06, 2015, 05:55:51 pm »

Disappointed in how little impact AoU had on Agents of SHIELD.  Last year's Winter Soldier had huge repercussions on the show.  Granted, the show is currently in a much more interesting place than it was last year anyway, so I guess it's fine doing its own thing.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #263 on: May 07, 2015, 12:12:39 am »

Disappointed in how little impact AoU had on Agents of SHIELD.  Last year's Winter Soldier had huge repercussions on the show.  Granted, the show is currently in a much more interesting place than it was last year anyway, so I guess it's fine doing its own thing.
It seems like most of AoS happens in North America. Most of AoU, outside of Stark (Avengers) Tower and New Avengers Facility, seemed to take place in Europe.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 13, 2015, 03:34:45 am »

Caught up on Gotham.  OK, I wasn't expecting that.  Well, I mean, I didn't expect it before I started catching up, though I did expect exactly that when the Ogre took Barbara to her parents house.  No idea what they're going to do with that.  I almost expect them to just have a single episode hand-waving reset in the season 2 premiere.  Also surprised at the plot development at Wayne Manor.

Just watched Agents of Shield season finale.  Oh man, that ending. :'(

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 14, 2015, 09:05:10 pm »

So....CSI: Cyber

I don't watch it, but I'm in the room when it's playing. Is this show really as bad as I'm led to believe? It just strikes me as some of the worst writing. I'm reminded of how I dismissed Scorpion when it premiered. Does anyone actually watch it? Does anyone like it?
A man has no signature

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 21, 2015, 11:32:11 am »

I'm doing a rewatch of Hannibal in preparation for season 3. I'm at the beginning of S2 now, it holds up the second viewing very well. I'm pumped for season 3!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 22, 2015, 08:52:42 am »

So Icelandair provides a decent amount of in-flight entertainment (at no additional cost).  I watched about four or five episodes of Flash, and almost got through the first season of Peaky Blinders (didn't finish the last episode).  Peaky Blinders isn't an American show, but it's good and worth watching. 

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 22, 2015, 09:31:48 am »

Anybody watch Wayward Pines? I think that's the right name. I meant to record it, but I missed the opportunity. I may see if my DVR can play it back or maybe play it from the Fox website. It looks kind of interesting, but I also see it as having the potential of being awful. Hoping for the former.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 23, 2015, 07:19:44 pm »

This is why we can't have smart television. The Flash is getting ready to collide with an accelerated proton because science. Before going in, the nerdy Cisco says, "May the speed force be with you." This was the perfect time to say, "May the mass times acceleration be with you," but you know that most of the audience wouldn't get that. Lost opportunity, man. Lost opportunity.
A man has no signature

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: May 23, 2015, 07:27:19 pm »

The wife and I watched Daredevil all the way thru, partly off recommendations is this thread. We were NOT impressed. It started out interesting, but man did the plot get boring fast. Bad writing, very expository, way too much stuff happening at night where you can barely even see anyone... But the absolute deal breaker is the actor playing Fisk, who did a pitifully pathetic job, admittedly with bad material. He was such a one dimensional, temperamental baby all the time. He just ate up and spat out every scene he was in. And his line delivery--so melodramatic, ugh.

I liked the other villains, Gao and The Owl, but Fosk just ate up so much screen time the show was borderline unwatchable in the home stretch. I think you would have to be blindly in love with the source material to like this show.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 23, 2015, 07:28:17 pm »

Oh, that's a pun, I guess.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 23, 2015, 07:37:45 pm »

This is why we can't have smart television. The Flash is getting ready to collide with an accelerated proton because science. Before going in, the nerdy Cisco says, "May the speed force be with you." This was the perfect time to say, "May the mass times acceleration be with you," but you know that most of the audience wouldn't get that. Lost opportunity, man. Lost opportunity.

Or the speedforce is a central concept to the flash mythos, and makes perfect sense in that situation, much more than giving the formula for force.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 23, 2015, 07:46:53 pm »
+1

The wife and I watched Daredevil all the way thru, partly off recommendations is this thread. We were NOT impressed. It started out interesting, but man did the plot get boring fast. Bad writing, very expository, way too much stuff happening at night where you can barely even see anyone... But the absolute deal breaker is the actor playing Fisk, who did a pitifully pathetic job, admittedly with bad material. He was such a one dimensional, temperamental baby all the time. He just ate up and spat out every scene he was in. And his line delivery--so melodramatic, ugh.

I liked the other villains, Gao and The Owl, but Fosk just ate up so much screen time the show was borderline unwatchable in the home stretch. I think you would have to be blindly in love with the source material to like this show.

I don't really know the source material but I still enjoyed it.  Dunno.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 23, 2015, 08:01:15 pm »

Anybody watch Wayward Pines? I think that's the right name. I meant to record it, but I missed the opportunity. I may see if my DVR can play it back or maybe play it from the Fox website. It looks kind of interesting, but I also see it as having the potential of being awful. Hoping for the former.

Just watched the first two episodes; it's interesting.  Would be better with more David Lynch influence I think, but still interesting.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.