Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279153 times)

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
Re: New TV shows (American edition)
« Reply #225 on: April 15, 2015, 12:20:24 pm »

Is it more gory than Hannibal?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 15, 2015, 12:33:59 pm »

Don't know, haven't watched Hannibal.  I don't think it was actually that bad.  People occasionally lose body parts and there's a fair amount of blood.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 16, 2015, 12:10:55 am »
+2

Don't know, haven't watched Hannibal.

There's your problem. Watch Hannibal.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 16, 2015, 08:23:11 am »

Justified wrapped up about as good as any show I've watched from beginning to end.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 18, 2015, 07:29:56 pm »

On Episode 2 of Daredevil.  Pretty good so far.  I don't really see an issue with blood/gore/violence.. maybe it gets worse.  There's a good deal of visual blood, but, hey, he's out on the street slugging it out with baddies every night.   

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 18, 2015, 07:41:46 pm »

On Episode 2 of Daredevil.  Pretty good so far.  I don't really see an issue with blood/gore/violence.. maybe it gets worse.  There's a good deal of visual blood, but, hey, he's out on the street slugging it out with baddies every night.   

Right.  It's not that bad.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 18, 2015, 09:26:27 pm »

Keep watching. Gore spoilers: there are multiple instances of compound fractures, and at one point a guy gets decapitated.

I'm not saying it's the goriest thing ever. I am saying, be aware it's more than most shows/movies (especially in the modern superhero genre, that's the big thing).

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 18, 2015, 10:16:14 pm »

Finished episode 4.  Man this show is good.

I get there's some violent stuff.. I guess I'm just not too bothered by it.  Honestly, I think it's good in a way.  It gives you, as the viewer, a feeling that something is at stake.  Like, the hero can really get hurt.. people can really die, in horrible ways.  There are victims, and it isn't just an abstract fact; it's visceral.  Compared to, say, a show like Gotham, it just feels like the stakes are higher, and that gets you a little more involved and immersed in the show.

But, yes, it is more violent than most movies and shows, even in the superhero genre.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 19, 2015, 03:10:18 am »
+1

The violence in Daredevil is more like the gritty superhero movies like Kickass. It doesn't bother me, but I would definitely steer my nephews away from it.

One thing I notice is that the director really loves filming. You can see the care he takes in setting up the shots, from the reflections in the sunglasses to the continuous fight scene in the hallway. I'm not sure if both of those were shot by the same director, but both scenes were done with love for the craft.
A man has no signature

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 20, 2015, 02:25:31 pm »

The violence in Daredevil is more like the gritty superhero movies like Kickass. It doesn't bother me, but I would definitely steer my nephews away from it.

One thing I notice is that the director really loves filming. You can see the care he takes in setting up the shots, from the reflections in the sunglasses to the continuous fight scene in the hallway. I'm not sure if both of those were shot by the same director, but both scenes were done with love for the craft.

Yeah I agree. Daredevil has some wonderful movie quality action scenes. That hallway fight in particular is beautifully shot.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 20, 2015, 02:29:03 pm »

Also, I just thought yesterday.. the guy playing Daredevil (Charlie Cox) reminds me of Will Graham (Hugh Dancy) in Hannibal.  Kind of in the way he talks.. like his pauses and facial expressions.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #236 on: April 20, 2015, 02:36:00 pm »
+1

Just finished episode 3.  There were definitely a few butt-clenchingly gruesome scenes so far.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 24, 2015, 11:01:08 am »

I finished season 1 of 12 Monkeys. I'm a little less enthused about the series now. I went into it with trepidation and actually found it better than I expected. But now it's getting a bit muddled. It reminds me of the end of the Sarah Connor Chronicles, and that disturbs me. I guess I'll see if there's a second season, but I'm not all that hopeful. I knew that things would get funky with time travel, and it's starting to quagmire (sure that's a verb).

I'll say that it's neat how the characters have grown. I wasn't expecting his best friend to betray the entire operation or her husband to sell Cole out, though that latter plot development wasn't too surprising when it happened.

The Flash has picked up steam again. I was bored with the bee lady. That episode just didn't feel like it was going anywhere. Now the Wells story is unraveling at a more enjoyable pace.

I think I'm 6 episodes behind on Gotham. I think Mark Hamill was the last episode I saw. We've just had other shows to watch first, and Daredevil showing up on Netflix didn't help matters any. Is Gotham still doing decently? Without spoilers, of course.

The downside to watching Flash is that I'm getting spoilers for Arrow. I might be as far as Season 2 on Arrow now. Been focusing on DVR shows mostly (except for Daredevil).
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 24, 2015, 11:32:49 am »

Mark Hamill was in Gotham?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 24, 2015, 11:51:41 am »

Mark Hamill was in Gotham?

Crap, you know what? I got my shows mixed up. He was in the Flash. That's the danger of the villain-of-the-week format.

I remember some hoopla about the Joker being on Gotham. I have not gotten that far yet. But I had Mark Hamill in my head from the Flash, and since he voiced the Joker, I conflated the two. Not having seen the Joker episode of Gotham but seeing the "Joker" episode of the Flash, I got confused.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: April 24, 2015, 11:53:47 am »

Ah.  Gotham is getting both simultaneously better and worse.  It's hard to explain. 

I was pretty happy with 12 Monkeys.  Not, like, a paragon of TV awesomeness, but a show I was at least interested in seeing every week.  On a similar note, Orphan Black is back with its third season.  The premiere was last Saturday.  Again, not best show ever, but a fun show to watch.

Daredevil is just awesome.  I'm on episode 11 (of 13 I think).

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 24, 2015, 12:02:32 pm »

Gotham is what it is at this point, you have to suspend belief often and the cliffhangers have maybe been less effective lately, but I'm holding out hope this could be one of those shows that gets better in later seasons when they are done with introducing new characters and setting up future plot lines. Certain casting changes for season 2 aren't going to hurt, that's for sure.

I've only heard positive about Daredevil, so I watched the first episode and I must say I wasn't impressed. Not that I thought it sucked, but Daredevil's partner seemed like a horrible character, and there was an awful lot of fighting sequences which I admit were well done, but I don't know if it was that the character is blind or what, but they were very dark and hard to follow. I guess it also bothers me that I have no idea why this guy is kicking ass even though he is blind. Did the acid give him super powers or something?

Haven't watched the second episode yet because the friend I was watching with hated it, but I might in the future. Convince me guys!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 24, 2015, 12:04:03 pm »
+3

Gotham is what it is at this point, you have to suspend belief often and the cliffhangers have maybe been less effective lately, but I'm holding out hope this could be one of those shows that gets better in later seasons when they are done with introducing new characters and setting up future plot lines. Certain casting changes for season 2 aren't going to hurt, that's for sure.

I've only heard positive about Daredevil, so I watched the first episode and I must say I wasn't impressed. Not that I thought it sucked, but Daredevil's partner seemed like a horrible character, and there was an awful lot of fighting sequences which I admit were well done, but I don't know if it was that the character is blind or what, but they were very dark and hard to follow. I guess it also bothers me that I have no idea why this guy is kicking ass even though he is blind. Did the acid give him super powers or something?

Haven't watched the second episode yet because the friend I was watching with hated it, but I might in the future. Convince me guys!

Man, he's a superhero.  He can do, like, super things.  That's how these things go.

They go into more detail on his background and abilities as episodes go on.  There's a lot of flashback narrative, which I like.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 24, 2015, 02:05:12 pm »

I understood that Daredevil basically had sonar, but I never read the comics, so I'm only going off of hearsay. As a gamer, I wasn't really interested in Daredevil just because it seems kind of cheaty in an RPG sense to give a character the disadvantage of being blind while loading him up with abilities to offset that blindness. But then, in an RPG, you can say, "My character is technically blind, but since I have other abilities, I get no points for it; it's just for story purposes."

So for a while I didn't care about a hero who was blind but not blind. This show transcends that. It's interesting enough storywise. And really, blindness is not a disadvantage for him. In fact, Daredevil is quite super with his other abilities. He can hear heartbeats from across the room and know when someone's lying. He can feel when someone is sneaking up behind him. He can diagnose hairline fractures by pushing slightly on a bone. He's far more capable than a sighted person, so he's a superhuman.

If the first episode didn't sell you, then I don't know what I can say to sell it more. I didn't think the first episode was spectacular, but it was interesting enough to reel me in. The characters are all engaging. Even though Foggy seems vapid, he has a certain charm that lets you overlook that. And, well, like all supporting characters who hang around secret superheroes, he falls afoul of something or another.

The cinematography is pretty good. I noticed this guy loves filming. There are some neat shots, especially framing the character in the reflection in Matt's sunglasses. There's a hallway fight scene that is reminiscent of Oldboy, and it's shot with absolutely no cutaways. There's an interesting scene where the camera swivels from the point of view from within a cab all the way around.

I dunno. See if the second and/or third episodes capture your attention. While I wouldn't say that the first episode was super, I find it strange to go so far as to hate it. I'm guessing it's related to the inability to suspend disbelief with Daredevil's abilities? Certainly if someone comes in with the attitude of "oh great, he's blind but he's not," then that can make attaching to the character more difficult.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 24, 2015, 02:16:33 pm »

Blindness is kind of, like, a metaphor.  The opening sequence is pretty good about this (blind scale of justice).  He can't see, but he knows when people are telling the truth or not.  And he's a lawyer~

I think it starts picking up after the first few episodes.  Especially when Vincent D'Onofrio shows up.  (He's one of my favorite actors.)  The hallway fight scene was episode 2, I think, and I really liked it as well. 

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 24, 2015, 02:21:01 pm »

Blindness has drawbacks too.  He can't read maps and plans in the enemy HQ, for example.  And there are ways to trick or overwhelm his senses.

juffowup

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 28, 2015, 12:33:08 am »
+1

I only know it from the bad Ben Affleck movie, but Daredevil's other senses give him the ability to interpolate information about location, etc.  Episodes past the first let you intuit this, but in a less dumb way than I'm describing (and than it is, probably.)

The thing I love most about Daredevil is the weird meta fact that after the first three episodes or so, it's much more a show about the villain (Vincent D'Onofrio) than it is a show about the hero.  The same technique was used to good effect in my favorite of the Law & Order's, Criminal Intent, which was designed to be a Columbo-style detective show that was much more about the villains than it was about the detective (Vincent D'Onofrio).

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #247 on: April 28, 2015, 12:35:47 am »

Deborah Ann Woll (the blonde in Daredevil) reminds me a awful lot of my first girlfriend. And they're the same age.

I've only gotten through the first 3 or 4 episodes so far.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 28, 2015, 02:57:44 am »

Anyone seen iZombie? Watched the first episode, and I think it has potential to be pretty nice.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 28, 2015, 03:38:56 am »
+1

Silicon Valley is good right now! It's going to be a great season.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.