Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279334 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: New TV shows (American edition)
« Reply #200 on: March 17, 2015, 11:34:37 pm »

12 Monkeys is getting interesting...

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 17, 2015, 11:38:49 pm »

None of my IRL friends watch it, so I have to just say it here. HOLY CRAP DID ANYONE SEE THE FLASH TONIGHT!?

I did not. I'm an episode or two behind, but now I'm intrigued to go see it. Should be able to catch it by this weekend.

12 Monkeys is getting interesting...

Yeah, I'm amazed that they're able to keep things cohesive this far. I'm still waiting for the house of cards to fall down and it turns into a Heroes mess, but so far it's still holding. The assault on Spearhead was brutal and shows that Jones is just as obsessed as the man she killed.
A man has no signature

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 17, 2015, 11:42:33 pm »

None of my IRL friends watch it, so I have to just say it here. HOLY CRAP DID ANYONE SEE THE FLASH TONIGHT!?

I did not. I'm an episode or two behind, but now I'm intrigued to go see it. Should be able to catch it by this weekend.

Yeah,  I will watch it on hulu sometime this week.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 17, 2015, 11:47:47 pm »

I've been watching Marco Polo on Netflix.  It's not too bad.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 18, 2015, 12:12:54 am »

Going to watch it soon.  Feel free to babble about whatever amazing things just happened.  Should probably spoiler it for at least a day though.

Edit: oops, another page.  I was talking about The Flash.

Should I add 12 Monkeys to my list of things to watch?  I'm already adding Steven Universe, which is apparently on the same level as Gravity Falls.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 12:14:10 am by eHalcyon »

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 18, 2015, 12:26:21 am »

So I'm a huge fan of flash. He's my favorite comic book hero by far. And this show just feels like reading of comic book. It's great.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 18, 2015, 12:42:17 am »

Interesting!  I once spoke with an acquaintance who was a hardcore DC Comics fan and she said she couldn't stand The Flash or Arrow because of how far they strayed from canon.  I'm not really a comics reader but it sounded silly to me because you could always consider it a retcon or just another facet of the multiverse.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 18, 2015, 02:56:23 am »

Just watched it.  Wow, a lot of stuff happened in that episode.

Wasn't Wells kind of stupid?  I mean, he obviously figured out what was happening with Cisco and that Caitlin was stalling for him, but Caitlin otherwise hadn't learned anything concrete.  leaving behind his wheelchair would only arouse further suspicion, especially when Cisco is found dead.

Speaking of which, did Caitlin find out yet?  What is Wells going to do now?  Is there any way he can possibly keep his secret at this point?

With Barry in the past, can he possibly change history that somehow allows Cisco to live and Wells to remain undiscovered?

Also, I'm a bit confused at that last scene.  It looked like he ended up in the same place as he was (stopping in the same place, seeing the same people) so did his consciousness somehow slip into his past self?  It would have been more straight-forward for there to be a second copy of himself, but then he should have seen himself...

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 18, 2015, 06:51:36 am »

Interesting!  I once spoke with an acquaintance who was a hardcore DC Comics fan and she said she couldn't stand The Flash or Arrow because of how far they strayed from canon.  I'm not really a comics reader but it sounded silly to me because you could always consider it a retcon or just another facet of the multiverse.

It's an odd complaint to me because comic book canon is generally extremely malleable. Especially for characters which have been around for decades. I mean, consider batman. He's been presented in a huge variety of ways from totally campy (like the adam west version) to the dark, gritty version. Heck, early batman shot people with guns.

Just watched it.  Wow, a lot of stuff happened in that episode.

Wasn't Wells kind of stupid?  I mean, he obviously figured out what was happening with Cisco and that Caitlin was stalling for him, but Caitlin otherwise hadn't learned anything concrete.  leaving behind his wheelchair would only arouse further suspicion, especially when Cisco is found dead.

I imagine wells knew he couldnt keep his secret forever from Cisco and has a plan to deal with the consequences. I mean, all he really needs is barry to move faster to generate enough speed force to allow wells to time travel. Wells being ousted could actually be that catalyst.

With Barry in the past, can he possibly change history that somehow allows Cisco to live and Wells to remain undiscovered?

Also, I'm a bit confused at that last scene.  It looked like he ended up in the same place as he was (stopping in the same place, seeing the same people) so did his consciousness somehow slip into his past self?  It would have been more straight-forward for there to be a second copy of himself, but then he should have seen himself...

It does seem like there's only one past barry (instead of two), but I guess we'll see. Time travel has never been handled very consistently with the flash comics. It does seem barry will undo cisco's death and wells' reveal. And the whole Iris thing (though that he'll remember). But the audience gets a huge amount of information which should come out pretty soon again anyway. And this all seems like a really interesting take on Reverse Flash.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 18, 2015, 12:26:16 pm »

It also seems a bit stupid that Wells didn't get rid of the holographic evidence against himself.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 18, 2015, 01:27:21 pm »

New Community on Yahoo is actually super good. If were worried about it, the new episodes seem as strong as anything that came out in the 2nd or 3rd season. Not sure what it would be like to just pick it up there after giving up when the show was weaker in season's 4 and 5 as the show's cast has changed quite a bit, but if (like me) you had just kinda stuck with it even though it wasn't as good, Community is back.

For those wondering, the reason they give for Shirley leaving the show is actually quite well handled as a joke on the show. (The actual reason being that the actress asked to be let out of her contract to look after her sick father.)

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 18, 2015, 06:43:30 pm »

I wouldn't go so far as to say this was 2nd season or 3rd season level material, but the second episode was quite good. Not that surprising though, season 5 was good too. Not as great as it once was, but considering the extraordinary circumstances, quite strong.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 18, 2015, 07:05:10 pm »

After years of watching things like Groundhog Dog, Run Lola Run, and the GvE episode based on Run Lola Run, I could tell that scene in Flash was going to be revisited. But I did expect something like Run Lola Run, and that wasn't the case, so I'm glad it was still a surprise for me.
A man has no signature

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 18, 2015, 07:11:12 pm »

#

I gave up after 4 or 5 episodes. Rather boring and predictable and quite childlike I found.

Did it get better then?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 18, 2015, 07:45:19 pm »

I wouldn't go so far as to say this was 2nd season or 3rd season level material, but the second episode was quite good. Not that surprising though, season 5 was good too. Not as great as it once was, but considering the extraordinary circumstances, quite strong.

Tomato, tomato.

I thought it was really strong, but I respect your opinion as TV show liking is extremely subjective.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 18, 2015, 07:56:46 pm »

#

I gave up after 4 or 5 episodes. Rather boring and predictable and quite childlike I found.

Did it get better then?

The first few episodes were a bit formulaic. It does break out of that somewhat (though it's still often villain of the week format), but if you didn't like them at all, I'm not sure you'll ever really get into it. It is, at it's heart, a comic book show, and it has a much more comic-y feel than most other modern live action comic shows/movies. It's also a bit lighter than the modern trend of dark and brooding. It's just a fun and energetic show that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 05, 2015, 03:03:21 pm »

So, The Walking Dead.  I think Season 5 has been the best.  Maybe the second half of Season 4 exceeds it.  I like the story telling style.. sometimes I want more action, but I like the slow build.  I also think it's better if watched together with no commercials, but unfortunately I watch them all as they air.

(Don't read ahead if you haven't watched Season 5 yet, I guess.)

Anyway, thinking back, I think my favorite episode was when Abraham and co. move ahead to go to Washington.  I like everything about Abraham in that episode, especially his speeches. ("We can get through!  I knot it!")  I knew the reveal was coming because I had seen the comics, but I still think it was done very well.  I wonder what it would have been like to see it with no knowledge of what would happen.

The Season 5 opener was amazing, of course, and I liked the finale, too.  I had thought the story would progress a lot farther, but I'm happy with where it is.  I'm really excited for the next two seasons.

Comic spoilers, don't read unless you've read them all: I hope they go a different direction with Abraham.  I'm thinking it might be possible because of the heart-to-heart he and Eugene had last episode.  In the comics, they almost don't talk at all until later.  But I have a fear he'll meet the same fate.  Anyway, I really like the actor and the character in the show, so I want him to be a permanent.    Also, he says the best things.  ("Mother dick!")

I'm thinking Season 6 will deal with the wolves for the first 2-3 episodes.  Some of it will probably be ambushes/attacks in the woods or picking off runners, but it will probably end with the same kind of gunfight showdown at the gates.   In the comics, this entire thing was only a few pages (the Scavengers), but I think they'll spread it out a lot longer here.  The show moves a lot more slowly than the comics do. This gunfight at Alexandria gates will attract the herd, which will be the big thing in the first half of the season.  All the while there will be a transfer of power from Deanna to Rick, and some drama there.  Post-herd the focus will be on building the community, fortifying Alexandria, and making it self sufficient.  In the second half, I think they'll meet Jesus and go to Hilltop.  The season will probably end with either them promising to take care of Negan, or them meeting Negan with the pivotal bat scene.  Season 7 will basically be All Out War.

They'll probably throw in some things that aren't from the comics as well. If they stick to only comic storylines, they could probably meet Negan by the second half of Season 6.  But judging from what they've done in the past, they'll add some new things.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 15, 2015, 01:21:20 am »

So, anybody finished with Daredevil yet?

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 15, 2015, 02:03:01 am »

On the Walking Dead:

The show has definitely gotten a lot better since the midpoint in season 4. I think the back half of four was the most successful arc the show has done so far, but all of 5 was much better than most of what came before it. I will say that I didn't care for the hospital plotline with Beth... the villain character there didn't really amount to much and Beth's choices didn't fit the character. The doctor was the only interesting character in that whole thing.

And while I like the Alexandria community, it's still frustrating when so much of the tension stems from characters behaving totally irrationally: like the mayor lady's idiot son, or even dumber friend, or the alcoholic surgeon, or the crazy priest, or Sasha.

But I'm nitpicking. The show has gotten a lot better.

I'm wary, though, of this Wolves plotline, because I grow weary of increasingly deranged human villains who are just too irrationally savage to actually survive. I think they pulled it off (narrowly) with the Terminus people, but the Governor was just awful.

On the plus side, I finally feel like the main cast contains enough characters who are actually interesting and worthy of us caring about them. Carol, Rick, Michonne, and Daryl have been awesome for a long time, but Abraham, Eugene, and even Rosita have really come into their own.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 15, 2015, 02:59:24 am »

So, The Walking Dead.

This season made me actually bust out the comics to reread them. I think that's a good review.

I agree the Hospital arc didn't do much. It was interesting because I didn't know what was going to happen. But at the same time, they just switched out one pretty uninteresting kid (Beth) for another (Noah), which they later killed. What really bugs me, though, is that Glenn didn't care his sister-in-law died, but when Noah died he totally flipped out. In general I feel like people are affected more by random deaths/events than others. And then they move on by going back to how they were before the deat/other event. Some characters are changed over time. Carol is a good example.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 15, 2015, 09:24:55 am »

So, The Walking Dead.

This season made me actually bust out the comics to reread them. I think that's a good review.

I agree the Hospital arc didn't do much. It was interesting because I didn't know what was going to happen. But at the same time, they just switched out one pretty uninteresting kid (Beth) for another (Noah), which they later killed. What really bugs me, though, is that Glenn didn't care his sister-in-law died, but when Noah died he totally flipped out. In general I feel like people are affected more by random deaths/events than others. And then they move on by going back to how they were before the deat/other event. Some characters are changed over time. Carol is a good example.

I get that, but in my mind, hey, he got sad about it off camera.  I don't think we necessarily need to be exposed to everything, and I also don't think everything should be taken at face value.  Some things that people point out as continuity errors or oversights are, I think, stylistic choices that are meant to be symbolic of something.

Also, with Beth, I think everyone chalked her up for lost after the prison.  Even after they met up with Daryl and he said she was still alive, I doubt anyone had any real hope (except for Daryl) that she could actually survive.  And, Glen saw Noah eaten alive right in front of him, entirely due to someone else's cowardness and stupidity. Noah also represented something, specifically to Glen.  They talked about this on Talking Dead after the episode, I think.  He kind of represented the group (specifically, Glen) back at the beginning.  Noah hadn't really lived "outside" all that long; he was still a good person, innocent in a way, but still had what it took to survive.  His loss was senseless, and it just emphasized that the Alexandria citizens did not have what it took to survive.  They've just been getting lucky.

I didn't think Beth was really uninteresting.  I liked her episode with Daryl back in Season 4, and I liked when she started fighting in the hospital.  I get what people are saying about the hospital episode being a bit boring, but man, when hit that cop over the head and let the suicide girl eat him up, that was just awesome.  I was really excited to see what would happen when she took the scalpel and set out with death in her eyes, but then Carol came in.  I was hoping her whole arc from this would be to emerge as a survivor and a valued member of the group.

I also liked Noah.  The world needs people that are thinking and planning, and he had the right idea with wanting to learn to build walls.

As for villains that are just too savage, well, I have a feeling we haven't seen the most savage of them yet...

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 15, 2015, 09:25:15 am »

Ooh, I haven't started it.  Is it good?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 15, 2015, 10:26:38 am »

My Facebook news feed is filled with nerdgasms about this show. I just got back from vacation and have a lot of catching up to do anyway, so it'll be a while before I can get to Daredevil. I should watch it early, though, as I'm sure that early activity will convince them to film additional seasons, so I should do my part and become a statistic.
A man has no signature

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 15, 2015, 11:25:45 am »

It's the most graphically violent "mainstream" superhero show, to the point that I can't watch it. Which is a shame (and my own problem, not blaming the show here). Just a heads-up for anyone with gore issues.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 15, 2015, 11:42:35 am »

I liked it.  Voltaire is right, very gory. The choreography is outstanding though, and the villains actually got some character development.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 21 queries.