Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279302 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
Re: New TV shows (American edition)
« Reply #175 on: March 06, 2015, 08:05:42 am »

Is the final season of Parks and Rec worth it? I watched the first six seasons and then the season premiere of season 7. I'm so far not impressed with the final season. I'm not sure I should continue.

On a different note, I finished Agent Carter. Pretty good. Hope to see it return.
A man has no signature

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 06, 2015, 10:41:33 am »

Is the final season of Parks and Rec worth it? I watched the first six seasons and then the season premiere of season 7. I'm so far not impressed with the final season. I'm not sure I should continue.

On a different note, I finished Agent Carter. Pretty good. Hope to see it return.

This guy thought so, and makes the point rather effectively:

http://joeposnanski.com/goodbye-parks/

If you don't know his writing (mostly of sports, but also human interest stories), I'll just say Posnanski is not to be missed.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 06, 2015, 01:29:14 pm »
+1

Definitely worth it.  The season was incredible.  The first episode or two are setup, but "Leslie and Ron" was an outstanding episode, and the quality was maintained from there.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 06, 2015, 03:50:22 pm »
+1

Definitely worth it.  The season was incredible.  The first episode or two are setup, but "Leslie and Ron" was an outstanding episode, and the quality was maintained from there.

Okay, I'm convinced. I'll stick it out and get to the good stuff.

I probably would have anyway. I have a habit of watching shows until the end, even if they peter out (I'm looking at you, Heroes). In fact, it took great willpower to give up on the last season of Torchwood. I felt compelled to finish it, but I held strong and am not disappointed with the turns the show has taken.
A man has no signature

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 06, 2015, 04:08:13 pm »
+1

I agree completely about Heroes, and I don't know how to feel about the fact that they are bringing it back.
Posting begets posting.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: March 06, 2015, 04:29:19 pm »
+1

Heroes, oh man.

I remember hearing about its return, but haven't seen much info about it since.  I will totally watch it when it comes back though.  I am a sucker.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 06, 2015, 04:30:32 pm »

I agree completely about Heroes, and I don't know how to feel about the fact that they are bringing it back.

I'm cautiously optimistic about it. They can do it correctly, and hopefully they will.

Heroes has kind of a Wild Cards feel. You can focus on little stories of different people, which was pretty much what the show did. To be honest, I didn't need them to tie the stories together. I was perfectly fine with the story about Claire and the story about Peter and never do they meet.

I think it could be neat if Heroes adopted the American Horror Story formula. One season focuses on ordinary people with freaky powers. Wrap up that season. Next season is entirely different. Maybe it's about gangsters in Chinatown. Maybe it's a story about garage bands in upstate New York. It could be fun and diverse.
A man has no signature

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 07, 2015, 10:07:43 pm »

...Heroes has kind of a Wild Cards feel. You can focus on little stories of different people, which was pretty much what the show did. To be honest, I didn't need them to tie the stories together. I was perfectly fine with the story about Claire and the story about Peter and never do they meet....

I agree with this. The fact that paths started to cross was what made me think it was all building to some amazing thing, and it never did.  That's what disappointed me.  Along with the fact that the writing just sucked at the end.  I seem to recall that they changed writers at some point, and you could certainly tell.
Posting begets posting.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 07, 2015, 10:29:28 pm »
+1

I think the problem was that they came off of this excellent first season only to run into the writer's strike during the second season.  It really hurt their momentum and they never really recovered.  They lost viewers but kept trying to do weird and crazy things to regain attention, which never really worked out.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Posting begets posting.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 08, 2015, 12:01:51 pm »

Official news about Fish's character in Gotham:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/jada-pinkett-smith-says-she%E2%80%99s-leaving-%E2%80%98gotham%E2%80%99-after-season-1/ar-AA9sSmu?ocid=ansVariety11

Good news, but why would she come out and say that in an interview?  Actors usually don't reveal future things about their characters.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 09, 2015, 08:12:12 am »
+1

I finished up Parks and Rec. Another series checked off (not that I kept a list).

I didn't feel that the finale was fabulous, but it did a good job as a finale. It wrapped things up neatly. And I like the future glimpses. It was way better than the past glimpses that the Seinfeld finale did (seriously, that finale sucked ass).

I'm glad I saw the final season, especially the Pie-mary episode. It had some really great snarks in there. My two favorites are "I think you underestimate the voters;" "I don't think that's possible" and "Men have had a rough go of it for…very recently."

My complaint with this season is that they continued to use the three most loathsome and annoying characters. They're not the worst in all of television, but their inclusion made the scenes they were in as bad as typical prime-time TV. I refer to Craig, Jean-Ralphio, and his annoying sister. They contributed to the show not being absolutely amazing. Why even bother with those characters?
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 09, 2015, 09:21:12 am »

Speaking of Parks and Recreation, yesterday I watched Nick Offerman's special (American Ham).  It's good; you should all watch it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 09, 2015, 04:08:10 pm »
+1

I refer to Craig, Jean-Ralphio, and his annoying sister. They contributed to the show not being absolutely amazing. Why even bother with those characters?

Man, I think Craig is an amazing character.  Jean-Ralphio was only around briefly and he served a narrative purpose by removing some of the expectations you might have for the future scenes.  His sister sorta just tied in with him there.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 09, 2015, 04:31:19 pm »

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is amazing. It's a Tina Fey/Robert Carlock comedy on Netflix, and anyone who liked 30 Rock should give it a try.

RE : Parks & Rec. The finale was pretty good. I don't mind Craig, he was certainly a bit more present this season but still in small doses, and he's nowhere near as annoying as Jean-Ralphio and Mona Lisa. Jean-Ralphio was kind of funny early on, but they kept coming back to him with ever diminishing returns.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 09, 2015, 07:49:04 pm »
+2

Brooklyn 99 continues to be way better than it should.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 09, 2015, 10:02:10 pm »

Jamm is the only character that made me want to turn off Parks & Rec. The show doesn't work tonally with villains. They need to just be other good people with different goals (Jan Barkley/Bobby Newport, Dave in his return episode, etc.) Craig, I liked Craig! Why does everyone complain about Craig?

Anyway very much enjoyed the final season, not the greatest but hey, it went out on a strong note, and that made me happy.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 11, 2015, 08:48:51 am »

Jamm is the only character that made me want to turn off Parks & Rec. The show doesn't work tonally with villains. They need to just be other good people with different goals (Jan Barkley/Bobby Newport, Dave in his return episode, etc.) Craig, I liked Craig! Why does everyone complain about Craig?

Anyway very much enjoyed the final season, not the greatest but hey, it went out on a strong note, and that made me happy.

I also hated Jamm, but I barely tolerated him because he was a caricature used to punch home the jabs made at politicians. He even narrates the whole process with recalling Knope, and that, I think, is what made Jamm a failure. He was used by the writers to slap the audience with the point. Many of the jokes in the show worked because they were satire that we could just enjoy. Jamm was the equivalent of explaining the punchline three or four times to someone who doesn't need an explanation.

Craig was just a weak attempt at throwing in quirky comedy, but it just made his character so awkward. The passive-aggressive April and the seething anti-government Ron were done so much better (though Ron's shtick started becoming as subtle as a brick as the seasons progressed). Craig's behavior seemed to be more like "Hey, you like funny, right? This is funny. THIS IS FUNNY!!!!" But Craig was still a far better character than Sheldon from BBT.

Andy's character barely managed to avoid the same fate by having some depth. His naiveté could only be tolerated for so long, but I was able to accept him because he did become more than a one-trick pony. They kind of tried to give Craig some depth with his romance, but it was too little too late.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 12, 2015, 02:03:44 am »

So is anybody else watching The 100?  The season 2 finale was amazing.  I did not expect any of the directions they went (at least, not until a few minutes before they happened).

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 13, 2015, 09:35:17 pm »

Anyone watched The Last Man on Earth? Watching the first episode now.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 14, 2015, 03:49:52 am »

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is amazing. It's a Tina Fey/Robert Carlock comedy on Netflix, and anyone who liked 30 Rock should give it a try.

RE : Parks & Rec. The finale was pretty good. I don't mind Craig, he was certainly a bit more present this season but still in small doses, and he's nowhere near as annoying as Jean-Ralphio and Mona Lisa. Jean-Ralphio was kind of funny early on, but they kept coming back to him with ever diminishing returns.

I was home sick from work today so I watched all of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt; it was really excellent.

Finished up the parks and rec finale this week as well and loved it, definitely one of the better series finales I've seen aside from the awkward Leslie-is-going-to-touch-this-character-even-if-it's-forced bit. Also, take it all back, Jean-Ralphio and sister are amazing. Make the spin-off now! The way characters are painted is my absolute favorite part of the show, and is typically elegantly done: quirky but believable at first, then reaching absurd levels after you know them a bit better.

I need to catch up on season 2 of Broad City!
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 14, 2015, 09:53:45 pm »

I watched most of the first episode.  Can't figure out how it can be anything but a one trick pony, even with the girl.  I let it go.
Posting begets posting.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 14, 2015, 10:55:40 pm »

I watched most of the first episode.  Can't figure out how it can be anything but a one trick pony, even with the girl.  I let it go.

Maybe, yeah, but I'm curious enough to see.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 15, 2015, 07:23:02 pm »
+1

Found Season 2 of Orphan Black on Amazon Prime instant streaming.. I'm on the penultimate episode right now.. I really like this show~

Edit: And, Season 3 starts next month I think.  Anyone looking for a new show should look into it.. it's not, like, perfect or anything, but I think it's very entertaining.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 07:27:33 pm by Witherweaver »

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 17, 2015, 11:33:50 pm »

None of my IRL friends watch it, so I have to just say it here. HOLY CRAP DID ANYONE SEE THE FLASH TONIGHT!?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.