Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279169 times)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
Re: New TV shows (American edition)
« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2015, 01:08:57 pm »

I watched some of the footage that io9 had of Man in the High Castle. That shows looks pretty awesome. Anyone else stoked about this show? I can't watch the pilot on Amazon because I'm Canadian, but will find a way to watch it eventually.

Edit: It's a show based on the Phillip K. Dick book of the same name. An alternate universe where the Allies lost WWII, set in occupied North America.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 01, 2015, 11:52:39 am »

Anyone see 12 Monkeys yet? I have it on DVR, but I have so much other stuff to watch. If 12 Monkeys isn't living up to the hype, then I may just remove it. But I figured it would be worthwhile to keep on DVR in case it is decent. I know SyFy is trying to turn itself around.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 01, 2015, 12:46:23 pm »

Anyone see 12 Monkeys yet? I have it on DVR, but I have so much other stuff to watch. If 12 Monkeys isn't living up to the hype, then I may just remove it. But I figured it would be worthwhile to keep on DVR in case it is decent. I know SyFy is trying to turn itself around.

Don't expect it to be great.  But hey, watch it, it's kind of okay.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 01, 2015, 04:00:24 pm »

I watched some of the footage that io9 had of Man in the High Castle. That shows looks pretty awesome. Anyone else stoked about this show? I can't watch the pilot on Amazon because I'm Canadian, but will find a way to watch it eventually.

Edit: It's a show based on the Phillip K. Dick book of the same name. An alternate universe where the Allies lost WWII, set in occupied North America.

Wait, Len Deighton STOLE the idea for SSGB??
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 01, 2015, 04:31:39 pm »

Wait, Len Deighton STOLE the idea for SSGB??

I haven't read it so I can't really compare directly, but though the premises are similar I can only assume that the actual plots are quite different.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2015, 03:00:14 am »

Watching Person of Interest, there was some discussion about Schrodinger's Cat.  It was very basic, but the premise was explained.  This took me right out of immersion, because the two characters who were talking are both very intelligent, so no explanation should have been necessary.  It was purely for the benefit of anybody in the audience who isn't familiar with the concept.

That said, Person of Interest is still an incredible show.  Anybody else watching it?

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 04, 2015, 07:46:40 am »

I would watch it based on its premise, but I really don't enjoy watching either of the two lead actors.
Posting begets posting.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2015, 08:50:24 am »

Watching Person of Interest, there was some discussion about Schrodinger's Cat.  It was very basic, but the premise was explained.  This took me right out of immersion, because the two characters who were talking are both very intelligent, so no explanation should have been necessary.  It was purely for the benefit of anybody in the audience who isn't familiar with the concept.

This is why I hate watching Bones. Or rather, hearing Bones, as it plays sometimes when I'm in the room. The main character talks in such a stilted way, and the characters all speak to each other like they're children. The various CSI episodes do that too.

And I know that it's a way to engage the audience. It's no fun if two people talk about something that the audience knows nothing about. I just wish there is a way to do it without ruining immersion.
A man has no signature

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2015, 09:36:43 am »

I watched three episodes of Person of INterest because the premise was interesting, and concluded it was just another boring CBS-procedural with an awful, awful leading performance (Caviezel).

I've heard it's gotten better, but it's really hard for me to come back to stuff I've given up on (see : Marvel's Agents of SHIELD).
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2015, 09:39:44 am »

I think that Gotham has gotten much, much better since the break.  I haven't watched last night's episode yet, though.  They need to seriously consider just writing out Gordon's ex entirely.  Without her, every scene is actually watchable. 

Maybe we can start an online petition?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2015, 04:28:33 pm »

I watched three episodes of Person of INterest because the premise was interesting, and concluded it was just another boring CBS-procedural with an awful, awful leading performance (Caviezel).

I've heard it's gotten better, but it's really hard for me to come back to stuff I've given up on (see : Marvel's Agents of SHIELD).

It's not just gotten better, it's gotten incredible.  I can't remember when it happened though.  If you were interested, I could find approximately when it stopped being a mediocre case-of-the-week procedural and became an awesome serialized sci-fi dystopian drama.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 04, 2015, 06:54:33 pm »

I think that Gotham has gotten much, much better since the break.  I haven't watched last night's episode yet, though.  They need to seriously consider just writing out Gordon's ex entirely.  Without her, every scene is actually watchable. 

I agree it has become incredibly well done. My wife was really excited about it before its debut, and I was not.  It hooked me immediately, and she let it go quickly. It has so much going for it - high quirk factor, better than average acting even when scenery is being chewed, lighting effects, micro vs. macro morality.  I like it a lot, and am behind a few episodes.

Edit: Inserted proper quote to reflect that I was speaking of Gotham, not Person of Interest.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 07:08:34 pm by SwitchedFromStarcraft »
Posting begets posting.

Nevermind

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2015, 03:57:32 pm »

It's not just gotten better, it's gotten incredible.  I can't remember when it happened though.  If you were interested, I could find approximately when it stopped being a mediocre case-of-the-week procedural and became an awesome serialized sci-fi dystopian drama.
I agree it has become incredibly well done. My wife was really excited about it before its debut, and I was not.  It hooked me immediately, and she let it go quickly. It has so much going for it - high quirk factor, better than average acting even when scenery is being chewed, lighting effects, micro vs. macro morality.  I like it a lot, and am behind a few episodes.

Person of Interest is a very good show, and all the episodes are fantastic. That being said, I know a few people who don't like the way the show is headed, they prefer it just the way it was, with them saving or stopping the new number every week. I like both aspects, but I'm slightly inclined to agree with the unmentioned individuals.

Even though I enjoy POI, I really like Arrow and Flash now. One Saturday night, my friend and I randomly watched the Arrow pilot after we had heard that the creators of something called "Arrow" were doing "Flash". Flash sounded pretty good, but we were wondering what Arrow was. So we watched the pilot on a Saturday. 2 hours later, 2 more friends come over, asking what we were doing. We excitedly responded, " We just watched this thing called Arrow. We're in the middle of the 3rd episode, would you want to join?" We ended at about 11:30 P.M. Right now, I believe Arrow is the best show out there. Haven't seen Gotham yet, but it sounds good.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 09:18:31 pm by Nevermind »

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 05, 2015, 04:12:53 pm »

I gave Arrow a pass when it premiered. It didn't appeal to me. To be honest, archery-based superheroes always bug me. Even in the realm of the fantastic, someone jumping around and planting arrows with perfect precision just annoys me—despite the fact that there are videos showing amazing feats of archery. But that's my own personal gripe that's not really rooted in anything reasonable.

But the Flash did interest me. I enjoyed watching most of the first season (not done yet), even when there was obvious crossover with a show I wasn't watching. Having learned that they both were by the same guy (I think), I started watching Arrow on Netflix. Fortunately, it's more than just improbably acrobatic archery. The story is pretty good, and I'm digging it. Still on the first season of Arrow, but I'm making my way up. I need to get back to the Flash and perhaps other shows on my DVR so I don't choke it (I don't know the upper limit of Google Fiber's storage, but I've learned that several days of the Olympics will choke the fuck out of it).
A man has no signature

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 05, 2015, 04:31:16 pm »

Flash is soooooooo boring.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 05, 2015, 04:31:46 pm »

I like the direction of POI.  There are tons of "case of the week" procedurals out there, but there's not much like what POI is now.  The original premise (super agent gets numbers for a target which may be victim or perpetrator) was fine but nothing amazing.  The serial elements really made the show, and I'm glad that they've given focus to that.  For those that prefer the CotW stuff, it's still around.  Fusco just handled a number in the most recent episode!

Arrow and the Flash are good.  They're both based on DC comics properties.  I've been told by a big DC comics fan that the shows do a poor job of sticking to the source material, but that doesn't bother me since I'm not a big comics guy (although I enjoy all the recent film and TV adaptations).  Moreover, I know that comics have retcons and multiple universes and all that, so it's not a big deal that there are changes for the TV version.

There's a pretty big change in the recent Flash episode though.

Barry's new love interest is Linda Park.  From what I can tell, Linda Park was actually the wife of the Flash in the comics... except not Barry.  Rather, she was the wife of the third flash, Wally West.  Barry Allen (the second Flash) was his mentor, and Barry was married to Iris West, who is Wally's aunt.  So the family tree is super twisted in the TV version now.

On the plus side, not keeping with comics continuity means that we can't be sure certain things will or won't happen just because they did or did not in the comics.

As for Gotham, I'm still not sold on it.  I think it's OK, but it's not as fun or exciting as Arrow or Flash.  I do still wonder if they're supposed to be in the same universe though, since they are both DC properties.

I also want to give a shout out to The 100, another show on the CW (like Arrow and Flash).  It started out a bit rocky, but I also quite like the direction it's taken.  More dystopian drama, hoorah!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 06, 2015, 08:13:59 am »

Okay, I caught myself up on 12 Monkeys yesterday. It's not too bad. It's mostly a retelling of the movie, but they're allowing for more exposition since this is a mini-series (I can't envision this being an ongoing series). So you get to see more of what the world in the future is like.

The Army of the 12 Monkeys has changed, which is interesting. It means that I can't rely on what I know from the movie. The premise is similar, and they have a female Brad Pitt, but the introduction of an overreaching menace shakes things up a bit.

So far, they've been careful in their handling of time travel. One character says he met Cole already in 1987, which hasn't happened to Cole's recollection. So big leak for a future episode. I thought they were going to flub when Cole went to Haiti in 2014 and would meet Railley. That would have meant she remembered seeing him, but they addressed that in the show. It's clear that their writers are aware of time travel wonkiness. Of course, it's time travel, and there will still be problems. Mostly I just hope that the writers are clever about it. I don't expect my time travel to be paradox-free.  Speaking of which, I'm not sure about the paradox bomb, but I guess it's a warning that Cole really, really, really should not meet himself.

And in other news, hype is building for Better Call Saul. I'm always wary of spin-offs, but I'll record this anyway. Bits are cheap. If the writing is as good as Breaking Bad, then this ought to be a good show.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 06, 2015, 09:29:24 am »

I think tonight's episode of 12 Monkeys will take place almost entirely in the future.

From the previews, they might have to send Cole back in the midst of an attack without any promising way of bringing him back, "stranding" him in the past.

I'm happy enough with the show.. some of it is cheesy and not too well done.. like every action scene, where someone holds up a gun and for some reason can't shoot until a long-enough pause for the hero to knock the gun out of their hand.  But, hey, not a huge production budget, that's okay.

Some of the previews for other SciFi shows look interesting as well.

Also, I think Better Call Saul will be quite good.  And I'm more excited for Walking Dead on Sunday than anything else in the world~

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 06, 2015, 09:47:54 am »

It does look like SyFy is making a strong effort to live up to its name (even though that name is now the stupid SyFy). I was floored by the number of new series they have. And some of those commercials actually make the shows look appealing. I have enough shows right now, so I'll stick with just 12 Monkeys.

But I'm still a little wary about SyFy. I saw a commercial for pro wrestling, so they haven't entirely given up on the stupid.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 06, 2015, 09:57:54 am »

I think someone had told me that Helix was entertaining.  I could be thinking of the wrong show, though.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 06, 2015, 12:54:18 pm »

I watched season 1 of Helix.  I thought it was alright.  I plan on watching season 2 as well, which just started, but I haven't gotten to it yet.  From what I remember, it had some interesting mythology behind it.  I think there were some cases of "everybody is stupid", but I don't remember them all.  The show isn't amazing, but I think it worked as semi-mindless entertainment.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 06, 2015, 01:01:40 pm »

Not a new show, but The Americans started its third season recently. It's an interesting show, and season 2 was really good.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 11, 2015, 02:58:17 am »
+1

Parks and Rec continues to knock it out of the park.  So many callbacks in tonight's episodes.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 11, 2015, 09:02:39 am »

Better Caul Saul (let's make that spelling catch on!) is highly entertaining.  It's the same kind of caliber as Breaking Bad, though less.. adrenaline?  More humor, not quite as dark.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 11, 2015, 10:15:21 am »

Better Caul Saul (let's make that spelling catch on!) is highly entertaining.  It's the same kind of caliber as Breaking Bad, though less.. adrenaline?  More humor, not quite as dark.

Damn, I'll have to wait for it to come onto Netflix. I forgot that the one downside to Google Fiber is that Time Warner is being a petulant little jerk and not sharing its AMC station. I had to watch Breaking Bad on Netflix, but that wasn't so bad since I didn't start watching it until season 5 started. I just had to wait a little bit for the second half of season 5 to be released (and I ended up borrowing a friend's DVD).

So unless I find someone around here without Fiber and who watches it, I'll have to wait for Saul.

My own progress is that I'm all caught up on 12 Monkeys and the Flash now. I'm chomping at the bit to watch the finale of American Horror Story, but my wife is taking classes in the evening, so it's difficult for us to coordinate a time to watch it. I may have to do the unthinkable and watch it without her.
A man has no signature
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.