Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279353 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
Re: New TV shows (American edition)
« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2014, 08:42:23 am »

I managed to watch this week's American Horror Story.

How much confidence do you lack when your fantasies aren't even perfect. The guy fantasized about obtaining the Illustrated Seal but can't even muster up the illusion of being lauded for it. Then he can't even properly dream about killing two people at once. It has to be this long drawn-out farce that ends up with him returning a less-than-perfect specimen. I'm not sure if the writers are intentionally setting him up to be this pathetic or if they're trying to make the fantasies seem more real by introducing flaws.
A man has no signature

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2014, 10:04:06 am »

I managed to watch this week's American Horror Story.

How much confidence do you lack when your fantasies aren't even perfect. The guy fantasized about obtaining the Illustrated Seal but can't even muster up the illusion of being lauded for it. Then he can't even properly dream about killing two people at once. It has to be this long drawn-out farce that ends up with him returning a less-than-perfect specimen. I'm not sure if the writers are intentionally setting him up to be this pathetic or if they're trying to make the fantasies seem more real by introducing flaws.

Correct, and Dandy represents the orthogonal mentality whereupon he is spontaneously successful without reprise.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2014, 01:38:47 am »

Gotham is screwing with the timeline, right?  I thought Harvey Dent was supposed to be around Bruce Wayne's age. 

And was the comic book character a little mentally unstable before his disfigurement?  I always thought he was supposed to be unambiguously good until he became Two-Face, at which point he started going insane.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2014, 08:53:04 am »

So, watching this week's American Horror Story I stopped twice to make sure I hadn't skipped an episode somehow. I feel this series has really lost touch with anything it thought it was trying to accomplish. There are still some really great moments but overall it isn't cohesive at all.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 25, 2014, 12:13:16 pm »

So, watching this week's American Horror Story I stopped twice to make sure I hadn't skipped an episode somehow. I feel this series has really lost touch with anything it thought it was trying to accomplish. There are still some really great moments but overall it isn't cohesive at all.

It threw me off when the two ladies arrived at the doctor's office. I was thinking that I didn't remember Dell getting any more extreme than breaking fingers (which is still pretty extreme). They handled it with dialogue about the off-screen action. But it's still a little sloppy because the daughter blamed the freaks for his actions. How did she know it was related to the freaks?

But for this to have some serious impact, Dell's actions have to come to light, so they have to learn about the extortion of the doctor at some point. His other actions have pretty much turned the circus against him, though.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2014, 12:16:51 pm »

It threw me off when the two ladies arrived at the doctor's office. I was thinking that I didn't remember Dell getting any more extreme than breaking fingers (which is still pretty extreme). They handled it with dialogue about the off-screen action. But it's still a little sloppy because the daughter blamed the freaks for his actions. How did she know it was related to the freaks?

But for this to have some serious impact, Dell's actions have to come to light, so they have to learn about the extortion of the doctor at some point. His other actions have pretty much turned the circus against him, though.

I think that was supposed to be indicative of general prejudice against the freaks.  Doctor took them as patients, something bad happened to doctor, therefore it must be their fault.  The show is trying to demonstrate that the general view of the town is that anything bad is the freak's fault.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2014, 09:39:00 am »

I watch Bones through osmosis. It's not a show I bother watching, but I'm often in the room when it's playing.

I think I just really hate the main character. Dr. Brennan, I think. Prudence, maybe? She suffers from the Sheldon syndrome in that she's supposed to be super smart, but she's too clueless to realize when people use colloquialities and unironically expresses how such an expression is logically impossible.

I know this character is based on a real person, and I wonder what her reaction to the character's portrayal is, because I know I'd be embarrassed to have someone like that based on my life. (cue Homer Simpson/Max Power episode).

Also, do people like this really exist? I know a lot of nerds over the age of 20, and maybe I'm just fortunate that I don't know anyone like that. Younger nerds, sure.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2014, 09:49:06 am »

I don't watch Bones, but in the case of Sheldon, I don't think the point is that characters like that exist.  There exist people that exhibit some of those traits, but the character itself is a highlight of those things.  So, everything gets exaggerated.  A lot of people criticize the Big Bang Theory, but I think that Sheldon is done very well.  I mean, some of the jokes are for laymen only, but the execution is good.

Another case of this is a show like How I Met Your Mother.  None of those character exist, but rather they're some extreme embodiment of traits that really do exist in people. 

Notably, I believe all the characters in Big Bang Theory were inspired by real people that the writers/creators knew or knew of.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2014, 10:26:36 am »

Okay, I can grant that Sheldon is a caricature on purpose, which is often used to good effect in comedies (Moss from the IT Crowd is also an extreme example, but I don't find him annoying like I do Sheldon).

But Bones is not a comedy, so her fish-out-of-water comments continue to grate on my nerves.
A man has no signature

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2014, 11:45:07 am »

Sheldon is autistic (but high-functioning). People like him exist. People like him and their close ones can get annoyed at the show (occasionally?) laughing at him rather than with him. I find Raj much harder to believe than Sheldon.

AFAIK, Bones is just plain annoying writing. I could be wrong, I dislike the show too much to read anything about it.

HIMYM is absurd comedy, so I don't think the comparison is all that valid.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2014, 11:47:53 am »

I'd say Big Bang Theory is an absurd comedy as well.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2014, 12:11:06 pm »

I haven't watched TBBT since 2013, so it might have changed, but it definitely looked like slice of life to me, although obviously not everyone is going to identify with it. Sure, sometimes they push it for the sake of the joke ("I HAVE THE SWORD OF AZEROTH!"), but it remains believable.

If you routinely see people in a scuba diving suit in bars, I want to move to wherever you live. While the first few seasons of HIMYM stayed reasonable, the series quickly forewent such lowly considerations as "logic" or "verisimilitude". For the better, if you ask me.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 01, 2014, 12:14:07 pm »
+1

Neither HIMYM or Big Bang Theory are absurdist comedies... HIMYM is a Friends clone, a hangout sitcom. BBT is basically a hangout sitcom with NERDS !

I don't like the "how well they're caricatures" defense. Obviously sitcom characters live in a heightened reality where everyone has an elaborate costume for Halloween and no one ever moves to another city, but they still need to be grounded in reality to be relatable.

@pacovf : The problem is Sheldon isn't autistic. He sure behaves like someone who is, but officially no, he's just a nerd. I wish the show would just say he's autistic and be done with it, because as is it annoys me greatly. Well not anymore since I stopped watching a while ago, but Sheldon just being an ass wasn't super funny to me.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 01, 2014, 12:15:17 pm »

Ok, Barney is probably pushing the line a bit, but everyone else in HIMYM (at least in he first few seasons) is a character rooted in reality.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 01, 2014, 12:35:06 pm »

Neither HIMYM or Big Bang Theory are absurdist comedies... HIMYM is a Friends clone, a hangout sitcom.

I've heard a lot of people complain about HIMYM as it became less and less like Friends. Honestly, I thought it improved as it tried weirder and weirder stuff. You would be hard pressed to call, say, the 4th season a Friends clone.

Ok, Barney is probably pushing the line a bit, but everyone else in HIMYM (at least in he first few seasons) is a character rooted in reality.

Man, way more than "pushing the line a bit". Everything that happens in Goliath Bank is completely insane, for starters. Everything. Do you remember that episode where Marshall was afraid that he was going to be fired, and Barney told him that he had to be unique to avoid being fired?
And while Barney is the most obvious case of not-even-trying-to-make-sense, all the other characters get their surreal episodes too. Of course, if you base your opinion on the first few seasons, I agree with you. But I think they are not very representative of the whole series.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 01, 2014, 01:42:25 pm »

Well I would say the first four seasons are vastly, vastly superior to the later ones (though I did keep watching and there were good episodes every now and then), so that's why I'm basing my opinion of the series on them.

I'll concede that the show did grow more surreal as it went on, but the word "absurd" for a comedy is something I associate with Monty Python, not with HIMYM.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 01, 2014, 02:01:03 pm »

I started watching The Walking Dead from season 5, episode 1. Its alright I suppose
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2014, 11:48:04 am »

I've started to watch a bunch of animated shows, since I started a degree in animation. Figured I should watch animated shows. So far I've watched Gravity Falls, Archer, and Rick and Morty.

Archer is hilarious. I recommend it to anyone who likes a healthy dose of sarcasm, sex jokes and James Bond parody. Lots of running gags in this show, but most of them are pretty good and not over used which I liked a lot. Plus the drawings are really well done. The cut out style sort of makes the show more funny since you get these realistic drawings, but then they are animated sort of childishly, which is yet in again in contrast to some of the subject matter.

Gravity Falls is a kids' show on the Disney channel, but it's one of those kids' shows that also funny for adults. The characters are adorable, especially Waddles the pig, and the plots are fun. I recommend for easy watching, or watching a show with kids. It'll be entertaining for everyone.

Finally I watched Rick and Morty. This show man, it's strange. The plots all revolve around Morty, a 14 year old boy, who is pulled into adventures with his alcoholic mad scientist grandfather. They are so far-fetched. One second Morty is in class, the next they are travelling to parallel worlds, or going into the theme park Rick made inside a Homeless man's body. Should be noted that this is not for kids. But I did enjoy it quite a bit and am eager for season 2.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 02, 2014, 11:51:13 am »

Rick and Morty is so, so, so, so good.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 02, 2014, 12:19:22 pm »

Rick and Morty had a minor crossover with Gravity Falls at one point.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 02, 2014, 12:21:21 pm »

Bojack Horseman is incredible. Highly suggest it if you like animated stuff. Or if you don't.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2014, 01:52:32 pm »

Bojack Horseman is incredible. Highly suggest it if you like animated stuff. Or if you don't.

Yeah, I watched the first episode yesterday :P I do plan to watch the rest though.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 17, 2014, 04:35:30 pm »
+1

I just started Fargo (and I'm almost finished it now). Really really good, it feels like the movie, but is different? I was quite happy with it, and would recommend it to anyone who liked the movie, or just likes good TV about crime and people and human nature and stuff.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 19, 2015, 12:03:35 am »

So I watched the premiere of 12 Monkeys.  Wasn't that bad, really, though I didn't expect a lot from it. 

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2015, 06:48:23 am »

Latest episode of Grimm was best yet.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.