Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39]  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 56339 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2008
    • View Profile
Re: TV shows
« Reply #950 on: October 03, 2017, 11:25:49 am »

I've been watching Crazy Ex-Girlfriend on Netflix. I finished the first season. I liked it. Musicals are greatly underrepresented in TV shows. Part of the fun was seeing what wacky music genres they incorporated. Many of the songs were rather clever.

I'm in the middle of the first episode of season 2, and I'm finding it kind of blah. I'm wondering if the show peaked with season 1 and if I should just stop and focus on other shows (still working on Bojack). Or does season 2 get better?

I also watched the premiere of Marvel's Inhumans. I never read their comics, though I do remember Medusa at some point. I mostly know these characters from playing a defunct Marvel fighting game.

It only has 4% on Rotten Tomatoes. That seems a bit harsh. It wasn't great, but I didn't feel it was terrible. It has room to improve certainly. One character lost their powers right away, and who wants to see a show about supers with someone without powers? Am I overlooking all the bad things because I want it to succeed? I think the budget is probably going to be their biggest obstacle. Some powers are reduced or hidden probably due to budget constraints. Though they could spend less CGI on Karnak's tactical thinking. Yay, another smart person who apparently imagines glowing calculations in mid-air.

For all of its flaws, I do dig Lockjaw and am always happy to see him do his shtick.
A man has no signature

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +156
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: October 03, 2017, 03:22:30 pm »

It only has 4% on Rotten Tomatoes. That seems a bit harsh. It wasn't great, but I didn't feel it was terrible.

But 4% on Rotten Tomatoes doesn't necessarily mean people think it's terrible, though, right? I think it just means 96% of people gave it a "negative" review (which for the community reviews means lower than a 7/10; the critic reviews are subjectively reviewed by Rotten Tomatoes staff, I believe). So, theoretically, regardless if 96% of reviewers consider something a 6/10 or a 1/10, it would still get a 4%.

Am I understanding that correctly?

ghost_of_jonts

• Swindler
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: October 03, 2017, 03:30:29 pm »

It only has 4% on Rotten Tomatoes. That seems a bit harsh. It wasn't great, but I didn't feel it was terrible.

But 4% on Rotten Tomatoes doesn't necessarily mean people think it's terrible, though, right? I think it just means 96% of people gave it a "negative" review (which for the community reviews means lower than a 7/10; the critic reviews are subjectively reviewed by Rotten Tomatoes staff, I believe). So, theoretically, regardless if 96% of reviewers consider something a 6/10 or a 1/10, it would still get a 4%.

Am I understanding that correctly?

In theory yes, but not in practice. If 96% of people gave a 6/10 review or a 1/10 review, they'd both be scored as 4%. But score distributions will be normal-ish about the average (with larger than expected numbers of 1/10s and 10/10s because people are dumb). If the RT score is 4% its highly unlikely to impossible the average score was 6/10.

In general, using RT % scores will correlate fairly well to any out of 10 or 100 or whatever average.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: October 03, 2017, 03:56:08 pm »

Rotten Tomatoes score is based on critics' reviews. The site does aggregate user reviews too, but I generally ignore those. Extreme fanboyism and shitposting can skew those numbers.

In general, I find that I agree mostly with scores above 70 and scores below 30%. There have been some exceptions. Fast and Furious 7 scored really well, and I found it deplorable. While Inhumans had problems, I'm a little surprised by the 4%. I'm hoping for just a substandard pilot.
A man has no signature
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39]  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 20 queries.