Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 49  All

Author Topic: TV shows  (Read 279133 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
Re: TV shows
« Reply #875 on: July 02, 2017, 03:37:26 pm »

Yeah, I'm digging Preacher. I've not read the source material, so I cannot whine about canon. That may make it more enjoyable.

The Saint of Killers is a helluva antagonist, so it'll be interesting to see how this gets resolved.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: July 02, 2017, 10:02:32 pm »

Yeah, I'm digging Preacher. I've not read the source material, so I cannot whine about canon. That may make it more enjoyable.

The Saint of Killers is a helluva antagonist, so it'll be interesting to see how this gets resolved.

There is a lot that is not cannon, but they are really capturing a lot of the essence of the comics, in my opinion. 

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: July 04, 2017, 09:10:04 am »

GLOW was good, watching the documentary now.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: July 05, 2017, 11:25:31 am »

I guess we never got to the Flash finale.

Like, the episode was fine most of the way through.  I know the self-sacrifice ending got scorched by just about every reviewer, but it didn't offend me.  I mean, we all know he'll be back out in an episode or two anyway.

I think the biggest issue is just that it was so forgettable as an episode.  Let's kill him with love...no wait, Iris can shoot him.  What?  We get to return to grumpy Wells, which is cool, and I assume Jessie Quick will find an excuse to return to our Earth soon enough.  Kid Flash will come into his own as well.

I haven't finished Supergirl or Arrow yet, those episodes are just sitting there to watch.

Yea I felt similarly. I was really hoping they were going to stick with the whole "lets turn him good" plan. I wanted iris to step up and find an earth where barry died at a young age and therefor the iris of that earth would have no barry and so savitar barry could go be that worlds flash
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: July 05, 2017, 12:50:07 pm »

Also, Fargo season 3.  I guess we haven't talked about it much here.  The acting this season was incredibly good. Well, it's always good, but I was particularly impressed by some of the performances. 

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: July 08, 2017, 01:34:51 pm »

GLOW was good, watching the documentary now.

Loved GLOW, great balance of comedy and drama, smart scripts, good acting, weird subject matter, would recommend it to anyone.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: July 08, 2017, 04:17:42 pm »

I guess we never got to the Flash finale.

Like, the episode was fine most of the way through.  I know the self-sacrifice ending got scorched by just about every reviewer, but it didn't offend me.  I mean, we all know he'll be back out in an episode or two anyway.

I think the biggest issue is just that it was so forgettable as an episode.  Let's kill him with love...no wait, Iris can shoot him.  What?  We get to return to grumpy Wells, which is cool, and I assume Jessie Quick will find an excuse to return to our Earth soon enough.  Kid Flash will come into his own as well.

I haven't finished Supergirl or Arrow yet, those episodes are just sitting there to watch.

Yea I felt similarly. I was really hoping they were going to stick with the whole "lets turn him good" plan. I wanted iris to step up and find an earth where barry died at a young age and therefor the iris of that earth would have no barry and so savitar barry could go be that worlds flash

Arrow finale was much better, I have to say.

I'm tempted to only buy crossover episodes of Supergirl from now on.  That show is getting unwatchable.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

crax

• Coppersmith
  • they/them pronouns but nbd if you mess up
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: July 09, 2017, 01:29:39 pm »

Arrow was great, but he was only gone for 5 years, so how are they going to format the 6th season?

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: July 09, 2017, 03:23:51 pm »

Arrow was great, but he was only gone for 5 years, so how are they going to format the 6th season?

Well, hopefully the flashbacks are done.  I assume it'll be more of a regular format moving forward.

crax

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: July 09, 2017, 04:33:55 pm »

Well, hopefully the flashbacks are done.  I assume it'll be more of a regular format moving forward.
it might also be more of a regular show. Moral dilemmas have been exhausted, and just focusing on Oliver's journey would get repetitive (if it isn't already) and boring. I'm looking forward to seeing the family dynamic with rene's daughter, if he still has a chance at custody. that is, if he's still alive. do you think the writers killed off any people?

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: July 10, 2017, 01:25:53 am »

it might also be more of a regular show. Moral dilemmas have been exhausted, and just focusing on Oliver's journey would get repetitive (if it isn't already) and boring. I'm looking forward to seeing the family dynamic with rene's daughter, if he still has a chance at custody. that is, if he's still alive. do you think the writers killed off any people?

For sure a few are dead, as actors have confirmed they aren't returning.

Malcolm is gone for sure, except possible time travel stuff with the Legends.  Slade is dead, right?  From the good guys, new Canary is for sure alive, and you know the show requires Dig and Felicity.

I think Oliver's kid's mom is dead, giving the show full custody of the son.  Then the show can play up the "can Oliver be mayor, a dad, Felicity's bf, and the Green Arrow all at once?" thing.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: July 10, 2017, 08:37:13 am »

Malcolm is gone for sure, except possible time travel stuff with the Legends.  Slade is dead, right?  From the good guys, new Canary is for sure alive, and you know the show requires Dig and Felicity.

I think Oliver's kid's mom is dead, giving the show full custody of the son.  Then the show can play up the "can Oliver be mayor, a dad, Felicity's bf, and the Green Arrow all at once?" thing.

I could not believe they got the actor that played slade to come back, in sure he won't be in any more. I agree that olivers kid mom is dead, though it worries me how much father/son father/daughter time the show is going to have with Ollie and Rene caring for their children. I also doubt they drop the Rene storyline as I think it's one of the higher point of the show in recent times. I could see them doing flashbacks to when Oliver was a child and paring lessons he learned as a kid with lessons he is trying to teach his own kid but god I hope they don't do that.
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: July 10, 2017, 08:42:28 am »

I could not believe they got the actor that played slade to come back, in sure he won't be in any more. I agree that olivers kid mom is dead, though it worries me how much father/son father/daughter time the show is going to have with Ollie and Rene caring for their children. I also doubt they drop the Rene storyline as I think it's one of the higher point of the show in recent times. I could see them doing flashbacks to when Oliver was a child and paring lessons he learned as a kid with lessons he is trying to teach his own kid but god I hope they don't do that.

If any of the main crew are dead, I think it's Mr. Terrific.  They already made him get a divorce, and he's sort of redundant as tech support if Felicity is back in full.  I really like him, though, so that'll be sad.

I think Evelyn or whatever her name is died, too.

So we're looking at Team Arrow + Ollie's son, Rene's daughter, and Dig's daughter.  They might have a bunker day care or something. 

I hope they can convince Speedy to come back.

crax

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: July 10, 2017, 11:05:03 am »

If any of the main crew are dead, I think it's Mr. Terrific.  They already made him get a divorce, and he's sort of redundant as tech support if Felicity is back in full.  I really like him, though, so that'll be sad.

I think Evelyn or whatever her name is died, too.

So we're looking at Team Arrow + Ollie's son, Rene's daughter, and Dig's daughter.  They might have a bunker day care or something. 

I hope they can convince Speedy to come back.

I hope we get her back, too. Near the end of the season they seemed to be starting a new character arc for Thea, one that was focused on her relationship/similarities to her parents. This could likely spark a personal redemption cycle for her in the way of being a vigilante again, as it has been for other characters, and also goes well with the new family dynamic(s) that will be introduced.
Though that could mean that she stays on the outside so there are more ways to explore the parenting stuff, especially as the only comparison to their mother has been with Thea. Moira's influence was very separate from vigilante-ing.

Loempiaverkoper

• Scout
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: July 11, 2017, 06:02:05 am »
+2

You guys are being too kind with the spoiler bars lol.

Protecting the one lost soul who would still be interested in getting into a comic book adaptation that portraits, without irony, a middle aged man shooting arrows at bad guys.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: July 11, 2017, 08:20:20 am »
+2

Protecting the one lost soul who would still be interested in getting into a comic book adaptation that portraits, without irony, a middle aged man shooting arrows at bad guys.
He was dead the whole time.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: July 11, 2017, 09:12:00 am »

As opposed to the comic book that portrays a middle aged man who dresses up as a bat and speaks with a gravely voice?  Or the comic book that portrays a middle aged man dressing up in a robot suit and shooting lasers?

I'm not sure I get your point.  All comic books are (generally) absurd.  That's why we like them.

Loempiaverkoper

• Scout
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: July 11, 2017, 11:11:39 am »

I'm not sure I get your point.

Well the point was the excessive use of spoiler bars.

Outside of that I couldn't help but vent some of my frustration about the insatiable demand for superhero stories in series and movies these days.
Sorry, I'll conceit. No point in a discussion about taste.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: July 11, 2017, 12:27:24 pm »

Outside of that I couldn't help but vent some of my frustration about the insatiable demand for superhero stories in series and movies these days.

Truly no point in arguing taste, but the spoiler tags are there for those who care about the show.  If you don't care, you don't actually need to unspoil anyway, so I'm not seeing the issue.

There are a number of people who watch any number of shows and are at different points in those shows.  That's why we cover up spoilers.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: July 11, 2017, 12:41:43 pm »
+3

I fully endorse generous use of spoilers. Cost is minimal and benefit can be significant in some cases.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: July 12, 2017, 09:44:36 am »

And if I were still continuing to watch the CW supers shows, I would be significantly behind, which means the spoilers would still be relevant to me. So they're not entirely wasted. At the very least, it seems like material that was revealed prior to the latest season is open game.

I think it's fine as long as the spoiler tag is used for good.

When it's used for evil is when things get really annoying.

Be kind to your spoiler tags.
A man has no signature

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: July 12, 2017, 02:03:57 pm »

Truly no point in arguing taste, but the spoiler tags are there for those who care about the show.  If you don't care, you don't actually need to unspoil anyway, so I'm not seeing the issue.

There are a number of people who watch any number of shows and are at different points in those shows.  That's why we cover up spoilers.

I am actually in the middle of Arrow right now, so I definitely appreciate the spoilers.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: July 17, 2017, 11:45:26 am »

So game of thrones returned last night and I absolutely loved it. I made a separate topic for it at http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=17397.0 because my analysis is rather lengthy and I didn't feel like cluttering this thread every Monday for the next six weeks. Be warned if you haven't watched the episode yet the thread does contain spoilers and they and not tagged out as the whole thread/post is essentially one big spoiler for the show.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: July 17, 2017, 12:05:21 pm »

Unfortunately I could not watch Game of Thrones last night, nor could I watch Twin Peaks.  Preacher is on tonight, so I have a busy night ahead of me.

Also, The Strain Season 4 premiered.  I hope this season improves things :/

Fear The Walking Dead (on a month midseason hiatus) has been pretty good this season. 

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: July 19, 2017, 10:54:50 am »

I finished Luke cage last night and thought it was alright but really wished they had paced things out better. I was really really enjoying the show up untill mariah Dillard killed cottonmouth . After that the show seemed to stumble and never really get going. I blame it on diamondback being a villain with no motive. I would have loved to know what he framed Luke for in the first place, how he became a drug lord, what his connection to shades was. But instead all we got was the obvious reveal he was Luke's brother, him mindlessly killing a bunch of drug lords we never knew or cared about, the Judas bullets which served no purpose other than to force Luke back to the doctor to find out his ex-wife lied to him about everything, and then a super suit that apparently mimics Luke's skin so they could end the show in a boxing match. So overall meh.

Maybe time to start the leftovers or finally get around to watching fringe. The only other shows on my watch list currently are iron fist, prison break season 5, and a lost re-watch.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 20 queries.