Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: "You're combos are annoying"  (Read 1484 times)

ThaddeusB

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
"You're combos are annoying"
« on: September 24, 2014, 11:21:02 pm »

After a pretty interesting Kingdom  where I pulled off a neat Forager/Throne Room/Poor House combo, my opponent requested a rematch and I agreed.

Code: [Select]
Poor House, Chancellor, Forager, Wishing Well, Ironworks, Throne Room, Count, Counterfeit, Junk Dealer, Mine
Log: http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140924/log.53be12a0e4b00ccce8075fbc.1411614009431.txt

The rematch was a pretty obvious Herald engine (had a ton of support).  Ironically, some of the cards he mistakenly bought the first game were good cards this time.  After a got the chain going he resigned saying "you're combos are annoying".  Silly me, I thought that's what Dominion was all about. :) ...and if you didn't like my play, why did you ask for a rematch?

Code: [Select]
Courtyard, Wishing Well, Woodcutter, Feast, Herald, Ironworks, Taxman, Mystic, Rogue, Upgrade
Log: http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140924/log.53be12a0e4b00ccce8075fbc.1411614531316.txt

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
Re: "You're combos are annoying"
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 11:47:19 pm »
+3

I came here to correct your grammar. I am leaving disappointed. I hope your happy with you'reself.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Venescas

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 11:53:16 pm »

Seems like your opponent can't spot the good strategies on the board, and doesn't know what's best for the deck.

Game 1: Throne Room with only three other actions? Gaining Silver with Ironworks? Grab a Wishing Well, but then get more differently named cards? Getting treasure when it's clear that Throne Room + Poor House just dominates? Dunno what he thought would happen.

Game 2: The key strategy here is less obvious, but yeah, Herald/Wishing Well/Mystic is so good here. That Taxman buy I really don't like; it's not going to hurt you because you don't care about treasures (money and gains come from your actions), and it promotes a Big Money strategy for him, but he doesn't have Courtyard. Honestly, if he had opened Taxman + Courtyard, maybe he'd have a shot? Instead, he gets two Heralds, more to deny them to you than anything else, 'cause they're never going to trigger his other actions, and again he gets Wishing Well with nine other differently named cards...Yeah, I don't know what he expected his deck to do.

I guess the moral here is moar treasure doesn't always mean moar better...or something like that... 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 11:55:28 pm by Venescas »

ThaddeusB

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 12:21:31 am »

Seems like your opponent can't spot the good strategies on the board, and doesn't know what's best for the deck.

Game 1: Throne Room with only three other actions? Gaining Silver with Ironworks? Grab a Wishing Well, but then get more differently named cards? Getting treasure when it's clear that Throne Room + Poor House just dominates? Dunno what he thought would happen.

Game 2: The key strategy here is less obvious, but yeah, Herald/Wishing Well/Mystic is so good here. That Taxman buy I really don't like; it's not going to hurt you because you don't care about treasures (money and gains come from your actions), and it promotes a Big Money strategy for him, but he doesn't have Courtyard. Honestly, if he had opened Taxman + Courtyard, maybe he'd have a shot? Instead, he gets two Heralds, more to deny them to you than anything else, 'cause they're never going to trigger his other actions, and again he gets Wishing Well with nine other differently named cards...Yeah, I don't know what he expected his deck to do.

I guess the moral here is moar treasure doesn't always mean moar better...or something like that...

Yes, he played quite poorly both games.  I posted mostly b/c of the humorous comment and secondarily because I thought the first Kingdom was pretty interesting.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.667 seconds with 20 queries.