Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Card Names  (Read 7725 times)

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
Card Names
« on: December 14, 2011, 01:44:20 pm »
+1

So what are some names for cards that you would like to see in the final expansions?

I am not talking about what the card does, but simply the name or the card itself regardless of its purpose or type. Feel free to explain why. Note: this isn't intended to be suggestions for Donald X., but merely a fun exercise now that finals are over.

I would like to see:

Midwife - because there aren't enough cards with females on them--and even then those are normally bad, Witch, Young Witch, Sea Hag, Duchess is the one of a few that are positive and even then...

Knight-errant - because who wasn't surprised when they opened up the base dominion and didn't see a knight card even though there was a knight on horseback on the box.

Canoga - I am breaking my own rule. Canoga was a popular medieval dice game--I would only like to see this type of card if dice were implemented into the game, which too be honest, I don't think I would want.

Troubadour - because who doesn't love a good troubadour?

Artist Guild - mostly because I think a picture of the Lolly-pop guild on isotropic would be fun.

Bailey - Every good castle need a "motte" and a bailey.

Mathematician - in honor of all of the math geeks that love and frequent this board

« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 02:19:41 pm by shedjed »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Re: Card Names
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 02:00:54 pm »

Midwife - because there aren't enough cards with females on them--and even then those are normally bad, Witch, Young Witch, Sea Hag, Duchess is the only that is positive and even then...

I take your point in general, but Expand, Explorer, Fairgrounds, Farming Village, Forge, Fortune Teller, Grand Market, Harem, Herbalist, Oracle, Peddler, Scrying Pool, and Trader all have women on them. That's still not very many though (and some of them—Fortune Teller, Harem—aren't that great in the portrayal-of-women department anyhow).

Arya Stark

• Navigator
  • the things i do for dominion.....
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 02:30:32 pm »

midwife sounds lame, how about some new potion cost cards with some bad ass ckicks on em

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 02:54:07 pm »

(and some of them—Fortune Teller, Harem—aren't that great in the portrayal-of-women department anyhow).
Sea Hag and Witch, anyone?

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 03:10:26 pm »
+1

midwife sounds lame, how about some new potion cost cards with some bad ass ckicks on em

Yeah, like Valkyrie.

Action - Attack
$n?
Each player reveals the top card of their deck. You choose to either discard or trash the revealed card. If the card is trashed, the owner gets an Einherjar token on their Valhalla mat.

I don't know what the Einherjar token does but it sounds fun.

Actually, can we do a whole Norse mythology based expansion? Ragnarok sounds like an awesome card.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 03:47:19 pm »

I suspect that there are more female-specific cards than male-specific cards, although I could easily be wrong and don't feel the need to count.  Most people cards are gender-inspecific, and as AJD points out, many of them are illustrated with female characters.

Someone in another thread felt sure that Castle and Dungeon would inevitably become names of official cards.  They seem likely, and I'd agree that they'd be good, simple and obvious though they may be.  Troubadour would be terrific, as you say.  I'd also like to see a Knight card, but I also have to say that I kind of like how Dominion is set in medieval times but seems to resolutely resist tapping into the obvious cliches in favor of more down-to-earth names.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 04:02:13 pm »
+1

Minstrel - because who doesn't love a good minstrel?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

biopower

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 02:47:55 am »

Transmogrify - I know we have Transmute, but who doesn't love Calvin and Hobbes?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 01:02:55 am »

Actually, can we do a whole Norse mythology based expansion? Ragnarok sounds like an awesome card.

Ragnarok
$25 - Action - Attack

Win the game.

-----

When you purchase this card, all other players trash their hands, their decks, and their discard piles.  You trash your hand, deck, and discard pile, except for this card.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 01:09:00 am »

(and some of them—Fortune Teller, Harem—aren't that great in the portrayal-of-women department anyhow).

You know, I think Duchess is actually by far the worst offender in that particular department. 
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 01:10:56 am »

I suspect that there are more female-specific cards than male-specific cards, although I could easily be wrong and don't feel the need to count.  Most people cards are gender-inspecific, and as AJD points out, many of them are illustrated with female characters.

Someone in another thread felt sure that Castle and Dungeon would inevitably become names of official cards.  They seem likely, and I'd agree that they'd be good, simple and obvious though they may be.  Troubadour would be terrific, as you say.  I'd also like to see a Knight card, but I also have to say that I kind of like how Dominion is set in medieval times but seems to resolutely resist tapping into the obvious cliches in favor of more down-to-earth names.

I get the sense that Militia is filling the role that a "Knight" card would.

Something like Archers or Crossbowmen or Artillery would be a good name for an attack; especially perhaps if some sort or targeted discard ever makes it out of playtesting.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 01:17:16 am »
+6

You know, I think Duchess is actually by far the worst offender in that particular department.
What, because Duke is a valuable card that can dominate a number of boards, while Duchess is a card so bad you often don't want it for free?  And if you do buy it, all it means is that you're spending valuable money on useless baubles that are going to distract you from the task at hand?  And the best possible light you can cast on Duchess is that it's a moderately useful piece to supplement the Duke?

You're saying that reflects poorly on women?  Crazy talk.

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 01:20:56 am »

I get the sense that Militia is filling the role that a "Knight" card would.
I'd like to see a Knight reaction card that's basically the mirror image of Militia (or a Library-as-reaction).  When an opponent plays an attack card it lets you draw to seven cards or something.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 01:54:38 am »

I always thought Beggar would be cool. Something like "Each opponent chooses one: Discard a Treasure card or Gain a Curse." Like, if you don't give him money he'll cuss you out.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 01:56:49 am »
+1

Also, what synonyms for Remodel are left? Refurbish?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 05:49:53 am »

Improve?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 06:54:09 am »

Renovate?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 08:31:01 am »

Rebuild? Redo? Revenge?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 08:47:02 am »

Redecorate, people!
(Man, I wish I could better convey a ridiculously, sarcastically flamboyant voice better over the internet)

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 09:16:28 am »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 09:36:10 am »

What, because Duke is a valuable card that can dominate a number of boards, while Duchess is a card so bad you often don't want it for free?  And if you do buy it, all it means is that you're spending valuable money on useless baubles that are going to distract you from the task at hand?  And the best possible light you can cast on Duchess is that it's a moderately useful piece to supplement the Duke?

You're saying that reflects poorly on women?  Crazy talk.

Don't forget that she's apparently most useful for taking care of the baby.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Glooble

• Bishop
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 09:49:46 am »

How about the baby? A "Royal Heir" card, perhaps.

Also,

Courtier

Masque

Fishmonger

Chamber Pot

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 09:59:57 am »

Replace? Augment? Boost? Elevate? Recover? Refine?

Or, the opposites: damage, diminish, weaken?

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 11:42:24 am »
+2

I wonder what Redecorate would do. Trash a card from your hand. If you do, Gain a card that does the same thing but looks shinier and costs more.

He/him

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 12:19:03 pm »

I wonder what Redecorate would do. Trash a card from your hand. If you do, Gain a card that does the same thing but looks shinier and costs more.

Redecorate
$4 - Action/Attack
When you play this card, all players watch an old episode of Trading Spaces.  Every time someone exclaims over something hideous, drink.  Last one standing wins the game.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 1.493 seconds with 20 queries.