Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Need help with matchmaking  (Read 2032 times)

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
Need help with matchmaking
« on: September 20, 2014, 11:24:49 am »

Hey f.ds, I finally decided to give Goko another chance recently.  I spent some time trying to get tokens to buy some promo cards and playing some casual games with my family.  This week, I finally decided to jump back on the real-game horse and play some pro matches.

On Isotropic, I would always just use auto-match, usually without restrictions, and got pretty reasonably competitive games, but hosting games against just anyone on Goko doesn't seem to be working the same way.  With a little luck, and a lot of very confusing play from my opponents, I won 14 games in a row (after 1 loss) and my rating is certainly higher than it should be. (Isotropish is a reasonable lv 25, but with only 15 games, my μ is certainly out of whack).

I see some people hosting games at 4000 or 4500+ rating, but I've peeked at most of my opponents ratings before starting, and I think many of them would have qualified for that type of restriction (but maybe not, I didn't always check).  How do you guys go about finding more competitive matches on Goko?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Need help with matchmaking
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 11:57:45 am »

I use Isotropish level 25+ as a requirement, that usually gets me fairly competent opponents.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 12:00:27 pm »

it's not clear from your post if you use salvager or not. I assume you don't. that's likely to solve most of your problems

here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=8163.0

Deadlock39

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 12:19:50 pm »

Whoops, I should have mentioned that I guess.  I am using Salvager, but don't really know what features to use for matches. 

The Iso ratings are down because of a certificate issue right now correct?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 12:36:58 pm »

Whoops, I should have mentioned that I guess.  I am using Salvager, but don't really know what features to use for matches. 

The Iso ratings are down because of a certificate issue right now correct?

yea and automatch too. right now, it's not very useful, but well it's usually working. automatch makes things a lot easier.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 12:47:40 pm »

Okay, thanks, I'll try automatch when it comes back up.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 03:29:53 pm »

I use 4500+, but it's not very well correlated with iso rating. Some people are at 4500+ and yet negative in iso rating. I haven't really kept track of which more closely approximates my opinion about my opponent skill, but I get a decent number of tough matches this way, as well as a decent number of easy wins, and then some matches where my opponent makes plays that I think are bad but I lose anyway. So yeah, even 4500+ is a bit of a crapshoot. IIRC, the main reason I use it is that totally unrestricted games sometimes get players who play very slowly, and at 4500+, the players have played enough to play pretty fast, even if they aren't very good.

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 11:12:31 am »

I feel like Goko rating became a better indicator of "I'll get a pretty strong opponent who doesn't slowplay" the higher I felt comfortable setting it (I upped my limit gradually as my own skill improved).  I've settled on 5000+ for a while and things have gone well there. 

I've been reluctant to use Iso level partly because of the occasional downtime, but mostly because non-Salvager-users won't know what it is unless I turn on chat explanations, but I think those would get spammy if we all had them on.
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.