Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Gambler's Way  (Read 2629 times)

Eistee

• Baron
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
Gambler's Way
« on: September 19, 2014, 10:28:53 am »
+1

Hello Guys,

a small idea I'm throwing out there for you to try and comment, if you want.

Gambler's Way
Action - (4)

+1 Card, +1 Action
You may set aside an action or treasure from your hand. if you do; the player to your left guesses if the card costs 4 or more.
Then, reveal the card.
If he guessed correctly: Put the card into your discard pile.
If he guessed wrong: Play the card twice.

Just curious what you think about it. Yes, it lets you play Treasure during your action phase, but that makes the card fun. Overpowered? Not sure.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
Re: Gambler's Way
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 11:06:30 am »

If you always choose Silver, this is on average a Peddler (GM half the times, nothing half the times), which is probably fine. It is pretty nice as a pseudo-village, especially when you have too many terminals you would not have been able to play anyway. Sounds powerful, but not extremely powerful. I would change "if it costs 4 or more" for "whether it costs more than 3" to make it less ambiguous.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 11:22:17 am »
+1

If you always choose Silver, this is on average a Peddler (GM half the times, nothing half the times), which is probably fine. It is pretty nice as a pseudo-village, especially when you have too many terminals you would not have been able to play anyway. Sounds powerful, but not extremely powerful. I would change "if it costs 4 or more" for "whether it costs more than 3" to make it less ambiguous.
I think "more than 3" is more ambiguous than "4 or more".
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 01:01:17 pm »
+4

I think "more than 3" is more ambiguous than "4 or more".

They have different answers on Alchemist, Familiar, and Philosopher's Stone!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 06:23:45 pm »

Anti-combos with highway!

This isn't a GM half the time... It's a double GM half the time. When they guess wrong, (with silver), you get $4. But with 1 less card in your hand. So it's like 3 peddlers followed by an oasis.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 06:24:51 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3228
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 06:25:21 pm »
+2

This isn't a GM half the time... It's a double GM half the time. When they guess wrong, (with silver), you get $4. But with 1 less card in your hand. So it's like 3 peddlers followed by an oasis.

you get 4$, and you lose 2$ because you can't play the silver in your buy phase anymore. so it's a GM.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 06:39:14 pm »

When the other player guesses incorrect, this is a cantrip Throne Room (that also works on treasures and, somehow, victory cards).  I may be mistaken, but didn't the Secret Histories mention that a cantrip TR was scrapped because it got confusing to track when you played it on another copy of itself?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 08:27:08 pm »

When the other player guesses incorrect, this is a cantrip Throne Room (that also works on treasures and, somehow, victory cards).  I may be mistaken, but didn't the Secret Histories mention that a cantrip TR was scrapped because it got confusing to track when you played it on another copy of itself?
Would it be more confusing than Counterfeit, though?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 08:58:23 pm »

Would it be more confusing than Counterfeit, though?

I think the confusion would be more because KC and TR can spawn huge chains, which are confusing enough in themselves.  Also having to draw cards and add actions in-between just makes it crazier.  You have to add up +Buys with Counterfeit, but it'll be rare when it spawns a long chain involving many other cards (Counterfeit+Counterfeit+Venture is the only way I can think, but it'll still be much less than what can happen with KC and TR).

But I don't know.  I'm mostly asking to see if anybody else remembers that (or has enough motivation to go look for it). :P

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 01:21:44 pm »

you get 4$, and you lose 2$ because you can't play the silver in your buy phase anymore. so it's a GM.

Ah, right. That also deals with the 1 less card in hand part.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.501 seconds with 21 queries.