Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Lucky? with Rats  (Read 1053 times)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
Lucky? with Rats
« on: September 15, 2014, 05:19:26 pm »

I played a 4p Shelter game yesterday with the following kingdom:

Poor House, Beggar, Squire, Watchtower, Rats, Spy, Counterfeit, Adventurer, King's Court, Forge

I opened Watchtower/Rats and got very lucky early draws—my Rats never failed to line up with my Watchtower and I bought a Forge on turn 4. After that I was at a bit of a loss as to what to do; I was thinking I would Forge pairs of Rats into Provinces, but my Rats always lined up with my Watchtower and on each individual turn it seemed like a better tactical decision at the time to trash rather than keep the incoming Rats, so I never actually had a pair of Rats to Forge. I eventually just ended up buying Gold and drawing for it with Watchtower, which probably wasn't ideal—though I ended up finishing second, and would have won if I'd been paying better attention to the score and Forged Province into the last Province to end the game on my turn.

Thoughts on the best approach on this board?

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
Re: Lucky? with Rats
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 05:23:26 pm »
+1

forge is too slow here I think. I would go for a king's court-poorhouse thing with squire for +buy. Probably squire. But seriously, KC-KC-PH-PH=3 provinces. squire/watchtower for draw.

Of course open rats/watchtower. Always open rats/watchtower.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
Re: Lucky? with Rats
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 05:26:37 pm »

I played a 4p Shelter game yesterday with the following kingdom:

Poor House, Beggar, Squire, Watchtower, Rats, Spy, Counterfeit, Adventurer, King's Court, Forge

I opened Watchtower/Rats and got very lucky early draws—my Rats never failed to line up with my Watchtower and I bought a Forge on turn 4. After that I was at a bit of a loss as to what to do; I was thinking I would Forge pairs of Rats into Provinces, but my Rats always lined up with my Watchtower and on each individual turn it seemed like a better tactical decision at the time to trash rather than keep the incoming Rats, so I never actually had a pair of Rats to Forge. I eventually just ended up buying Gold and drawing for it with Watchtower, which probably wasn't ideal—though I ended up finishing second, and would have won if I'd been paying better attention to the score and Forged Province into the last Province to end the game on my turn.

Thoughts on the best approach on this board?

Even if your Rats lines up with Watchtower every time, you want 2 Rats to trash your deck quicker, so you shouldn't always trash the incoming Rats. Once you've trashed your starting cards, there's a very strong Poor House-Squire-Watchtower-King's Court engine.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.