Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: ugh the slowplay  (Read 4977 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
ugh the slowplay
« on: September 14, 2014, 02:44:22 pm »

I just logged onto Goko and was stoked about how much faster it is than it was the last time I played a few games. Unfortunately, my opponent is slowplaying (I guess to get me to resign?). Is there a systematic way to deal with this? (I don't have the extension because I don't use chrome).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 02:46:24 pm by ehunt »

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile
Re: ugh the slowplay
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 02:58:30 pm »

UPDATE:

my opponent quit after about a half hour.... and the grand irony: the game was unranked -- i could have just walked away.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 02:59:40 pm »
+2

You can build an engine better than your average random slowplayer, right?

Slowplay them harder. One action every 4 minutes, in an engine with about 50 things to do per turn minimum.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 03:13:52 pm »
+1

Slowplay them harder. One action every 4 minutes, in an engine with about 50 things to do per turn minimum.

sounds like fun...

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 03:17:57 pm »

UPDATE:

my opponent quit after about a half hour.... and the grand irony: the game was unranked -- i could have just walked away.

This is one reason I only play unranked games. If someone tries to slow roll me, I can just remind them it's unrated, and then quit if they don't stop.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 03:21:10 pm »

Better yet if you have cards that require him to do something.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 06:02:55 pm »
+3

UPDATE:

This is one reason I only play unranked games. If someone tries to slow roll me, I can just remind them it's unrated, and then quit if they don't stop.

I almost never get slow played. It's happened once to me and I pay almost all pro games.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 07:10:42 pm »

Yeah, slow-playing has not been a problem for me in pro games, but I only play 4500+, so maybe there are some people below that threshold who do it. I'm also pretty trigger-happy with respect to putting people on my blacklist, so if someone slow-rolled me, I'd just stick them on the blacklist and not have to deal with it again in the future.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 08:54:09 pm »

I play with all ratings, have played thousands of games, and have never been slowplayed.  Had plenty of people time out, but never someone just taking really slow actions to wear me down.  Maybe I'm just lucky.  I think these are probably just very special individuals; if you can get the extension working you'd just blacklist them.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 02:58:54 am »

I usually play at work, and if someone feels I have slowplayed them, I'm sorry. It wasn't intentional.

I have a sneaking suspicion I might actually be one at least one person's blacklist because of this.

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 05:23:01 am »

I play with all ratings, have played thousands of games, and have never been slowplayed.  Had plenty of people time out, but never someone just taking really slow actions to wear me down.  Maybe I'm just lucky.  I think these are probably just very special individuals; if you can get the extension working you'd just blacklist them.

This is my first on Goko. It happened on isotropic to me maybe 4 times in some 10,000 games. I agree it's rare -- you have to work too hard to pull it off.

The only reason I'm pretty sure this was a slowplayer and not someone slow at work is that, in addition to the 2.5 minutes or so between each move, he typed "I recommend that you don't play Advisor on your turn" in the chat box.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 07:10:53 am »

My suggestion is: just resign yourself if you are not having fun. If you are mad against the person, go away without resigning. In any case: Is rating that much more important than your life's time?

Even more, a ranking that is based on a high percentage of games played for fun while multitasking is not to be taken too seriously. If you want to measure your Dominion skills, tournaments are way better.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 02:57:46 pm »

UPDATE:

I almost never get slow played. It's happened once to me and I pay almost all pro games.

Everybody look out, we've got a pro here!
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 03:17:24 pm »

I've heard rickrolling in the chat works surprisingly well.  I almost want to get slowplayed just once to see how well it works.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 03:23:16 pm »

I've heard rickrolling in the chat works surprisingly well.  I almost want to get slowplayed just once to see how well it works.
Tried against tgorm, didn't work.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 04:23:16 pm »
+2

My suggestion is: just resign yourself if you are not having fun. If you are mad against the person, go away without resigning. In any case: Is rating that much more important than your life's time?

It's the principle of the thing. And social enforcement. By refusing to resign, people effectively punish slow-players making it less likely they will slow play in the future against other people. High personal cost, but if everyone does it, potentially very high social benefit. So for those who stick around to punish evil-doers: Thank You.

Remember, if people slow play you, then you can open another tab, log in, and start another game without resigning the first.

Often, slow players give up after 2 or 3 turns and resign themselves. I think 30 minutes might be the record I've had someone stick around. A very big outlier.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 04:28:29 pm »
+1

It's the principle of the thing. And social enforcement. By refusing to resign, people effectively punish slow-players making it less likely they will slow play in the future against other people.

I think everybody resigning on them and blacklisting them is a worst punishment. They will get bored soon. And if they don't, well, who cares? It's their life that is becoming pathetic spending time cheating a bad system, not ours.

EDIT: I think a good way to phrase it is: I want to play Dominion. They want to play who is more patient. I don't want to play who is more patient. Therefore, I resign and go play Dominion with some other guy that wants to play Dominion.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 04:31:14 pm by soulnet »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3190
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 04:30:43 pm »
+1

It's the principle of the thing. And social enforcement. By refusing to resign, people effectively punish slow-players making it less likely they will slow play in the future against other people.

I think everybody resigning on them and blacklisting them is a worst punishment. They will get bored soon. And if they don't, well, who cares? It's their life that is becoming pathetic spending time cheating a bad system, not ours.

I don't think it works like that. slowplayers don't just slowplay all the time, they do it if you pissed them off. that can be for legit reasons, or it can be because you went for IGG. but most of the times, they feel that it's justified.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 04:33:23 pm »
+1

I don't think it works like that. slowplayers don't just slowplay all the time, they do it if you pissed them off. that can be for legit reasons, or it can be because you went for IGG. but most of the times, they feel that it's justified.

Same principle applies to K% of his life, where K is an appropriate number. I still don't want to play their game and I will just blacklist them and move on.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.497 seconds with 23 queries.