Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: RNG win  (Read 3437 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
RNG win
« on: September 10, 2014, 03:02:29 pm »

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140910/log.5136e2dee4b07cef820a1126.1410374285806.txt

Code: [Select]
Hamlet, Village, Horse Traders, Navigator, Pirate Ship, Spice Merchant, Spy, Governor, Junk Dealer, Forge
On this board, it's pretty obvious that mass Governor is the way to go. There's literally nothing else going on. So, both me and my opponent went for it. I considered opening Silver/Spice Merchant, but then I thought that hitting $5 early is very important here, and that I wouldn't mind postponing the trashing a little bit since Junk Dealer is better than Spice Merchant anyway and I'd be cycling extremely fast with all of the Governors getting played for +cards. Therefore, I opened Horse Traders and hit $5 on turn 4. My opponent opened Spice Merchant and didn't hit $5 until turn 5. Then I won the Governor split 6-4 and then I won the game. My opponent thinks this was an "RNG win", but I think that the different openings played an important factor here. If you look at the log, you'll see that if he had opened HT as well, he would have had $5 as well, and if I had opened SM, I wouldn't have had $5 either.

On the other hand, opening Horse Traders when Spice Merchant is available feels, admittedly, pretty weird. It still has to be the correct play, right? You wouldn't want Navigator either since it causes an unwanted reshuffle as often as it makes your next shuffle happen one turn earlier, and HT is at least better than Silver since it's going to be the only terminal in your deck anyway, and the other options are just obviously out of the question.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 03:03:42 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
Re: RNG win
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 04:20:50 pm »

I don't think I would ever attribute the result of a game to the RNG when the openings were different.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 04:45:06 pm »

Horse Trader is a very reliable way to hit $5, (it only fails if drawn with 3 non-Treasure cards) something that should always be considered. Spice Trader Merchant is much less reliable if hitting $5 is important. In this board where the best deck will be built around lots of $5 cards and you probably won't be picking up another terminal action it's superior to open Horse Trader.

Edit: So no I wouldn't consider that an RNG win and someone who'd call it that has sour grapes.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 04:47:30 pm by Jorbles »

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 04:51:05 pm »

On the topic of terminals, I might consider grabbing a Forge late game if I end a turn with $7, but in general I agree that Horse Traders will be your only terminal.

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 04:55:21 pm »
+1

Here he should complain about first player advantage, here if he mirrors I guess his chance of winning is like 30%. Here if he went first he could get 5 governors and extra turn instead you, and play governor for attack.

As first player horse traders/silver looks like safe choice. For second player i think its also best as there is 25% probability of hitting 5 twice.

Also it looks that his later silvers with 4 are mistake, he will soon get too many , spy helps bit and could be turned into duchy.

Monsieur X

• Bishop
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 05:40:14 pm »
+1

Choosing early 5 strategy is interesting here, but to take a junk dealer with 5 would frustrate me here.

Why not going governor each time you've 5, and take a better trasher than junk dealer the faster you can : Forge ?

i dont like to draw cards with governor but here it can very good to have very fast a little deck

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 06:20:19 pm »
+1

Here he should complain about first player advantage, here if he mirrors I guess his chance of winning is like 30%. Here if he went first he could get 5 governors and extra turn instead you, and play governor for attack.

As first player horse traders/silver looks like safe choice. For second player i think its also best as there is 25% probability of hitting 5 twice.

Yeah 1p advantage is way more significant.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 10:19:52 am »

Choosing early 5 strategy is interesting here, but to take a junk dealer with 5 would frustrate me here.

Why not going governor each time you've 5, and take a better trasher than junk dealer the faster you can : Forge ?

i dont like to draw cards with governor but here it can very good to have very fast a little deck
This. Or get a 2nd spice merchant if you happen to hit 4$ again. I find getting 2nd spice merchant underrated in general.

theJester

• Bishop
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 05:44:29 am »

Can anyone explain what is RNG?

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 05:51:28 am »
+1

Can anyone explain what is RNG?
Random number generator.

theJester

• Bishop
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 05:53:26 am »

Random number generator.
Thanks. So, in Dominion context, "RNG win" would mean luck-based win?

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 05:55:15 am »

Random number generator.
Thanks. So, in Dominion context, "RNG win" would mean luck-based win?
Yeah, getting rewarded by the RNG, rather than your good play.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.