Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Arena Help Requested  (Read 6096 times)

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
Arena Help Requested
« on: September 10, 2014, 01:07:40 am »

So... maybe I'm not inculcating the stuff that I'm "learning" from reading all sorts of hearthstone arena guides and articles...  Because I suck at arena.  My max is 5 wins, my average is less than 3.  My last three were 0,2, and 0.

Is anyone willing to sit down with me and coach me?  I don't bite, and am very open to using something like skype. I know it's a time commitment, but if you are good at arena and good at coaching (i.e. explaining your rationale for certain decisions), please PM me or leave a reply here.

I know there are HS coaches out there, but a) I'm not willing to pay and b) I'd rather spend time with my f.ds peeps than some random person with whom I have no connection.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
Re: Arena Help Requested
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 03:45:37 am »
+3

I don't think I'm good enough or have the time to coach you. But, after one game of DotA 2 with you I can guarantee that you're a nice guy.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 04:37:59 am »

Lol thanks for the commend, but I'm not looking for someone who is manifestly the best or has infinite time on their hands...

I'll settle for anyone who is better than me at arena HS and who can just sit with me for an arena run.  Hint: mine are usually very short. =)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 04:44:39 am »
+2

Hint: mine are usually very short. =)
But not always.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 08:05:22 pm »
+1

Do you have some setup to stream/record your games so we can watch them?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 08:51:42 pm »
+1

I'd be willing to coach.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 09:53:55 pm »

Skype allows you to share screens.  It works really well in coaching situations.

I'm contemplating setting up a twitch channel and streaming, but haven't made the leap yet.

I'd be willing to coach.

Thanks!  I'm usually available for several hours starting around 9pm eastern time on most evenings.  Are you available anytime around that?

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 12:57:00 pm »
+1

Ugh, thats 3am here. I'd like to help out, but its kinda late..

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 01:11:16 pm »
+1

I'd like to help, but I don't think I can schedule times like that. I'd be happy to comment post run, which is still good.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 01:44:53 pm »
+1

How'd that run I helped you with go?

If you're going 0 on runs sometimes, but you have a good grasp of the guides it might not be an issue of your draft picks. You might be making some mistakes during gameplay. I found watching Trump play a few Arena runs (which I watched originally for help with drafting) I learned a lot of fundamental mistakes I was making during gameplay, which improved my play a lot.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 02:23:21 pm »

I'd like to help, but I don't think I can schedule times like that. I'd be happy to comment post run, which is still good.

Thanks, but I currently don't have anything set up for recording my HS matches... so maybe if I get something like that going this could work.

How'd that run I helped you with go?

If you're going 0 on runs sometimes, but you have a good grasp of the guides it might not be an issue of your draft picks. You might be making some mistakes during gameplay. I found watching Trump play a few Arena runs (which I watched originally for help with drafting) I learned a lot of fundamental mistakes I was making during gameplay, which improved my play a lot.

I watch Trump, Amaz, and a few other of the higher-level streamers in both arena and constructed.  They don't always give the rationale for a lot of their decisions, or maybe I am just terrible at learning by example vs. experiencing it myself.

That run where you helped me draft I got 4 wins.  My problems are most likely in gameplay.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 02:44:43 pm »
+1

This is my best advice for learning while watching streams, when watching a stream try guessing what they'll do before they've decided to do it. (Pause if you need more time to reach a decision.) Then whenever you guess wrong stop and think about what they might be considering that you aren't. Sometimes you'll think about it and you'll discover that there's multiple valid plays in a situation, but often (especially at first) you'll just realize that you weren't considering something that they were playing around. (the likelihood their opponents have more creature removal, the worst case scenario, the possibility of an opponent holding a Taunter, etc.)

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 05:04:20 pm »
+1

if you are a streamer (who talk and comment while they play, the other type aren't very interesting to watch even if they're top-notch players), i would watch some of your videos and point out anything i see. 

Granted, I'm not great, but as long as our mistakes don't overlap, we'll both benefit.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 05:19:38 pm »
+3

Skype allows you to share screens.  It works really well in coaching situations.

I'm contemplating setting up a twitch channel and streaming, but haven't made the leap yet.

I'd be willing to coach.

Thanks!  I'm usually available for several hours starting around 9pm eastern time on most evenings.  Are you available anytime around that?

Some days, but not others. Depends on significant other's schedule, which is wild and unpredictable, like a tiger in a golf cart.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 05:49:58 pm »
+1

From theory, in a different thread:

My coworker streams arena runs at http://twitch.tv/adwcta 

He's a monster at arena (his most common result is 12 wins) so I recommend checking it out if you want to learn how to play arena.  He's also written a bunch of articles targeted at intermediate arena players.

This guy's articles definitely helped me.  I'm averaging 5 wins per run now, and getting better slowly.  Definitely recommended.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 06:34:42 pm »

From theory, in a different thread:

My coworker streams arena runs at http://twitch.tv/adwcta 

He's a monster at arena (his most common result is 12 wins) so I recommend checking it out if you want to learn how to play arena.  He's also written a bunch of articles targeted at intermediate arena players.

This guy's articles definitely helped me.  I'm averaging 5 wins per run now, and getting better slowly.  Definitely recommended.

Yes, I've watched his streams, and also read his articles. Good stuff for sure, though the formula for tempo is utterly lost on my for the time being.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 11:02:40 am »

^I just read the first article, and it's really good. The "formula" looks complicated when you read it, because maybe there isn't proper context. X tempo is basically the stats of a X-drop minion. A vanilla 2-drop is 3/2 or 2/3 -- 5 "total stats". A vanilla 4-drop is 4/5, or 9 "total stats". And so on. In general it's tempo ~= (total stats - 1)/2, but it's much easier to just think in terms of what the minion would cost as a card. So if their Yeti is reduced to 2 health, that's now a 4/2, which is something between a 2-drop and a 3-drop, worth roughly 2.5 tempo. Sen'jin reduced to 3 health is a Grizzly, so that's ~3 tempo (and you didn't have to remember some formula like taunt ~= 0.75 tempo).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 11:04:10 am by HiveMindEmulator »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.