Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A curiously slow game  (Read 1160 times)

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
A curiously slow game
« on: September 09, 2014, 10:04:00 pm »

I played a game the other day that seemed to go much slower (in turns taken, not real-life time) than I expected, and I don't really understand what happened.

Code: [Select]
Black Market, Hermit, Storeroom, Ironmonger, Pirate Ship, Knights, Mint, Mountebank, Stables, Trading Post
Particularly after I got the only Graverobber from the black market, I had visions of building an engine to play a million knights, and hopefully Goons as well, pulling knights back out of the trash to ensure I "won" the split. And with the help of Knights+Graverobber, I won the Ironmonger split and the Stables split, but...it took me twenty turns to get things going at all, by which point I was in a position to end the game. What puzzles me is why it took me so long. With just one Knight he wasn't attacking me very much, and this seems like a huge engine, with strong draw, great attacks, and a decent village (trashing was there too, but I kept my Coppers around as Stables fuel). I must have done something drastically wrong to take this long to come online. Can anyone provide some feedback on what happened here?

Venescas

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
Re: A curiously slow game
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 03:04:56 am »

There's a lot of terminal draw and cards that don't draw for you in the deck. Even with Ironmongers and Stables, you can't really expect to go through the whole deck playing all of your terminals each turn without some very fortunate draws. Knights especially also tend to slow the game down; mainly they hurt the opponent, but provide very little benefit to you. And there's not much wrong with that here, since you were playing Knights often enough to significantly slow your opponent's progress (especially since he was trashing down so your Knights could consistently hit targets). 

I'm a bit surprised he didn't go Mountebank here. Guess he figured Hermit and Stables were enough to ignore it, but trashing down makes you so vulnerable to Knights...I'd probably get Mountebank anyway since Hermit can't trash the coppers, prioritize Stables and Ironmongers, definitely get a Black market, transition to Knights if he contests them or if he trashes down, or if there's a really good Knight on top (Sir Michael and Mountebank are really good in tandem). I don't expect it to go quickly; when Knights are significant, it can become a war of attrition.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Re: A curiously slow game
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 07:55:03 am »

Mountebank seems good enough because Hermits can't trash Coppers.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 20 queries.