Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Goko rating  (Read 2565 times)

John Karro

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Goko rating
« on: September 09, 2014, 12:02:33 pm »

Can anyone explain the following about the Goko "pro level rating" system:

1) This morning a played an opponent with a higher rating than I had (my ~4K v. his ~4.5k), and won.  It was close, but I pulled it it out at something like 17-10.  The results: I lost 5 points on my Goko rating.

2) Just now I plated an another opponent with a higher rating than I had (my ~4.k v. hist 4.6k), and lost.  Somewhat badly.  The result: I gained/lost 0 points on my Goko rating.

Flaw in system, bug in Goko, or is it accounting for something other than win/lost and opponent score?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 08:21:27 am by John Karro »

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Goko rating
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 12:09:37 pm »

There is some analysis here:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=10869.0

Note that recently Goko added the Bots to the Pro Rating pool (including Adventure bots) which has thrown things off further. 

A lot of us don't even go by the Goko Pro Ratings and instead use isotropish:
http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/leaderboard/

There are definitely bugs in Goko's leaderboard, but I'm not personally clear on what all of them are.  My best advice is just to not take it too hard if something dumb happens.  Anyone who cares about the ratings is bound to get frustrated.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +466
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 08:03:48 am »
+3

Note that recently Goko added the Bots to the Pro Rating pool (including Adventure bots) which has thrown things off further. 

The standard bots (Lord Bottington etc.) have always had a (rather sensible) Pro rating. The recent bug was about counting Adventure games for the pro rating, and including the Adventure bots (which probably are just renamed standard bots playing a single kingdom with sometimes skewed starting hands, thus having insane ratings).
The Adventure bots are now removed from the pro rating again (or at least out of the top 100), but real (?) players having played lots of adventures still remain at the top positions...  :(

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 10:07:40 am »

The standard bots (Lord Bottington etc.) have always had a (rather sensible) Pro rating. The recent bug was about counting Adventure games for the pro rating, and including the Adventure bots (which probably are just renamed standard bots playing a single kingdom with sometimes skewed starting hands, thus having insane ratings).
The Adventure bots are now removed from the pro rating again (or at least out of the top 100), but real (?) players having played lots of adventures still remain at the top positions...  :(

The Goko Bots were intentionally added to the Pro system.  See this update:
http://forum.makingfun.com/showthread.php?5097-Release-Notes-8-28-2014

"Play vs. Bots now uses the Pro rating system, which is used for fair games. If you want to play bots under the Casual system, you still can by creating a table with the casual system and inviting a bot."

You can see the results by looking at the current top of the Pro Leaderboard.  The users up there gained those scores from playing Adventures.  F T T W (currently #12) confirmed this was the case, as he had just powered through Adventures to get Prince.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:10:22 am by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 10:14:55 am »
+4

The Goko Bots were intentionally added to the Pro system.  See this update:
http://forum.makingfun.com/showthread.php?5097-Release-Notes-8-28-2014

"Play vs. Bots now uses the Pro rating system, which is used for fair games. If you want to play bots under the Casual system, you still can by creating a table with the casual system and inviting a bot."

This is just referring to the Play vs. Bots button on the front page. Now when you click Play vs. Bots the games counts as Pro, before it was Casual. You could always play Pro games against the regular bots and it was no issue at all, they had really low ratings. Holger has described it correctly.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 12:01:19 pm »

I think some ratings are frozen at the moment. This can mean you see no adjustment. It can mean you see a +/- based on your last rated match combined with daily decay.

ThaddeusB

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 12:58:58 pm »

Adventures have been fixed - they no longer count as pro games.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +466
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 01:08:17 pm »

Adventures have been fixed - they no longer count as pro games.

New Adventure games, yes. But ratings are still inflated due to past Adventure games, AFAICS.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.