Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Game where opponent ignores Torturer and pays for it  (Read 2320 times)

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
Game where opponent ignores Torturer and pays for it
« on: August 31, 2014, 09:58:38 pm »
+1

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140831/log.514cc98de4b0b989d044aecb.1409536290447.txt

So, this is a game where, given the board, the obvious choice would be to go for a Torturer engine, especially since there is City, and given the early Fool's Gold rush, the Cities are likely to be (and were) very powerful. It wasn't necessarily always pretty, as I accidentally bought a Curse on a misclick, and my opponent's Lookout probably ended up doing more lategame harm than good (he trashed one of his Fool's Golds with it). Despite the mistakes, it ended in a CRUSHING 83-30 Burnination of Royal by Trogdor the Burninator.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 11:27:41 pm by Trogdor the Burninator »
Dominion.games username: Jolinar of Malkshur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF_bIjIPAE

(I did not create the Trogdor the Burninator song nor am I associated with its producers in any way.  I just think it sounds cool. :P)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Game where opponent ignores Torturer and pays for it
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 10:01:12 pm »
+4

How can you pay for Torturer if you ignore it?

Oh, now I get it. With Trader.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 10:14:44 pm »

"Pays for it" was a kinder way of saying my opponent was stupid for ignoring the Torturers
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 10:16:01 pm by Trogdor the Burninator »

(I did not create the Trogdor the Burninator song nor am I associated with its producers in any way.  I just think it sounds cool. :P)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 10:44:22 pm »

"Pays for it" was a kinder way of saying my opponent was stupid for ignoring the Torturers
My post was a joke.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 11:27:09 pm »

Oh

BraveBear

• Bishop
  • Respect: +97
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 01:21:54 pm »
+1

Wouldn't mass upgrades into GM be better here?  Unless your opponent gives you half the curses before you get two upgrades then I actually see the attack part of torturer being pretty ignorable here.  (being the only the draw I see it still being pretty important)

Also why did you open silver/fools gold?  Wouldn't double fools gold be a better opening?

Your opponent lost because all he bought was fools gold and cities not because you burned him or something

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 01:31:47 pm »
+2

well neither of you played it correctly. I see a plan with upgrades and Grand Markets or something with fools gold into cities. things I can say for sure are

-> if you go fools gold, you never ever ever want to buy silver, and only very few GM's for buy, or most likely none at all.
-> if you go for grand markets, you don't want to buy fg, you want to do upgrade and silver

torturer should be a no-factor here (sorry). because city is the only +action, you won't deal out the curses fast enough, and you can just trash them with upgrade. you might get some, just because they draw one more card than city, once you have enough actions anyway

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 02:16:55 pm »

Wouldn't mass upgrades into GM be better here?  Unless your opponent gives you half the curses before you get two upgrades then I actually see the attack part of torturer being pretty ignorable here.  (being the only the draw I see it still being pretty important)

Also why did you open silver/fools gold?  Wouldn't double fools gold be a better opening?

Your opponent lost because all he bought was fools gold and cities not because you burned him or something

I didn't think of the double FG opening. That probably would've been better. I guess you're right on why my opponent lost, but my Torturers helped ensure that he would at least have a harder time coming back by either a) in the later game at least partially sabotaging his next turn and b) giving him a Curse or two
I didn't really pick up the Torturers for the attack, I picked them up because their draw was very attractive and I knew I had the cities to facilitate the actions necessary to play multiple Torturers a turn at least a few times with the draw making for mega turns where I was able to easily pull ahead. The attack effect was an minor benefit.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 03:12:29 pm »
+1

well, torturers wouldn't be big if both players played the board correctly. if they don't though, it's possible that a situation comes up where they are very good. like, if your opponent is not building enough, which is a mistake anyway, you can punish him hard if you get a torturer thing going.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.