Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Season 3 Game Reports and Discussion- C  (Read 10036 times)

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
Season 3 Game Reports and Discussion- C
« on: August 31, 2014, 03:30:13 pm »

Talk about your matches here, the results thread is for results only.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Re: Season 3 Game Reports and Discussion- C
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 12:08:23 am »
+3

Div. C1 match: AdamH 4 games, A Drowned Kernel 2 games

Link to YouTube video playlist
Link to entire Twitch stream

Game 1: AdamH 42, A Drowned Kernel 12
Game log     Twitch Highlight     YouTube video
Kingdom Cards: Fishing Village, Oracle, Storeroom, Salvager, Baker, Count, Governor, Library, Margrave, Venture

Super-fast Governor engine here, I ended up with 6 Provinces and 2 Duchies on turn 11. I win the Governor split 6-4 (which is probably due to first player) and get the initiative on greening which basically means that I win the game. I get an earlier Margrave which could have helped me too.

Game 2: A Drowned Kernel 12, AdamH 40
Kingdom Cards: Courtyard, Hamlet, Moat, Nomad Camp, Pirate Ship, Sea Hag, Butcher, Haggler, Mystic, Farmland, with Shelters

Bleh, money. The big question is whether or not to go for Sea Hag and how to balance attack and defense here. In the end neither of us opts for Sea Hag, I play a relatively focused big money strategy and he goes for something more enginey which doesn't quite work out because there's

<wanderingwinder> ""no" "draw""

Also, from the chat:

<shecantsayno> and how do you get 93(!) followers?
<shecantsayno> I don''t even have half of that
<jsh357> i think he played other games and accrued viewers
<shecantsayno> won lots of tournaments?
<jsh357> before dominion

Dominion is my main jam, I pretty much only stream Dominion and occasionally Hearthstone. If you want more followers you should stream other games though. Dominion really isn't a popular game for streaming; A lot of the allure of watching a streamer is that you can easily relate to the game they're playing if you've never seen it before, so speedrunners who play platformers usually get tons of views/followers.

Most of my followers came over from my YouTube channel, which has been around for what, 2-3 years now?  (EDIT: it still isn't even 2 years yet. wow.) The next best source is from streaming tournament games. I also notice I get more followers when I stream more.

Game 3: AdamH 31, A Drowned Kernel 41
Kingdom Cards: Ambassador, Scheme, Mining Village, Quarry, Taxman, Duke, Library, Rogue, Saboteur, Nobles, with Platinum/Colony

So the person who wins the Ambassador war wins the game here, right? Well... uhhm... about that.

I get some strange draws and end up with lots of Nobles hands, which is pretty good. I go for them too much and don't get a second Ambassador until it's too late, at which point I'm already snowballed under and my draw is not quite enough for me to get back into it. ADK has a thin deck that gives me two Taxmen each turn and can buy whatever it wants (except it only has two Nobles). I'm in the middle of saying that when he buys a Saboteur this turn I'll just resign when he buys a Colony.

OK, I guess I still have a shot, don't I? Well not really but I have to try.

He gets 6 Colonies before I'm able to draw my deck and start junking him heavily. I start playing three Saboteurs per turn and Ambassadoring him lots of junk. He neglects to see that he can empty the Ambassadors when I Saboteur his stuff and through some "lucky" Saboteur hits I'm starting to get back into this. I Rogue all of his Duchies and Nobles from the trash and start giving him Curses and I see in two turns I can buy the last two Colonies and as long as he can't buy the last Duchy to three-pile I should win the game.

He buys the last Duchy and I lose.

So sad, my early misplay isn't compensated enough by his later misplays, and after watching a long game we don't get to see the epic comeback that almost happened.

Game 4: AdamH 20, A Drowned Kernel 11

I think I want to submit this one for the Champion Match, so I'll censor the discussion on this one.

Game 5: A Drowned Kernel 7, AdamH 43
Kingdom Cards: Sage, Swindler, Familiar, Militia, Moneylender, Inn, Merchant Ship, Rogue, Soothsayer, Wharf

So it's a heavy cursing board with no trashing. Do you go for Familiar? Soothsayer? Swindler? How do you get out of the mess and into a deck that can buy Provinces?

He goes for Familiar, I go for Soothsayer, and we both get Swindler (though I get more). I originally lose the Curse split 5-4 but with some luck he Swindles some of my Curses back into Coppers and I don't do the same for him. I get lots of Golds from Soothsayer and he hurts for economy because of Familiars and I run away with it.

Notably, a bunch of top players in the chat were vehemently disagreeing with a lot of my moves here, but I think I played this one really well and I particularly stand behind the decisions I made that were the most disagreed with. I think Soothsayer was strong, I think Inns are great here, and I think the order in which I purchased those cards given my draws was very good. They all said I was going to lose in the beginning of the game and this one wasn't even close. Usually when I disagree with people like this and Jack isn't involved I'm wrong, so I like to enjoy the rare time when I think I'm right :)

Game 6: A Drowned Kernel 34, AdamH 33
Kingdom Cards: Horse Traders, Moneylender, Cultist, Horn of Plenty, Mandarin, Rogue, Tribute, Venture, King's Court, Prince

We forced Prince into this kingdom... and it's worthless here. That's too bad. Just a vanilla Cultist game here, I lose the Ruins split 7-3 so I'm happy I made it as close as I did. ADK actually manages to pull off the Horn/Mandarin combo with Cultist for draw and Venture as support, and even though it took a while to line up the pieces he got there for two turns (until he didn't play a Copper from his hand for his Venture to hit). A stylish way to use his advantage to win the game.

Thanks for the match, ADK!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 10:15:38 pm by AdamH »
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 10:28:56 am »
+2

C3: qmech vs. assemble meme

Although I have missed becoming first by a half point last season, I made it to C. My rating hasn't been the greatest in D and of course I'm even a bigger underdog now. But still, I might have a chance, each game has to get played first and I won't just resign. I'm doing my best and will see what happens. Anyways, I shouldn't be too worried losing quite a few matches this season and probably becoming 5th could already be acclaimed as a success.
Today I'm playing against qmech who has been in C for two seasons now, missing getting promoted in season one only by opponents' score (3rd tie breaker) and is just miles ahead of me in both rating systems.

Game 1

Code: [Select]
Embargo, Vagrant, Develop, Philosopher's Stone, Marauder, Moneylender, Throne Room, Embassy, Venture, Hoard
Provinces / Estates

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140903/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1409770058770.txt

assemble meme starts

This board looks like a clear big money board. Embassy is a very strong BM enabler and its sifting weakens the ruins from Marauder. You probably still want a Marauder and Hoard is usually great for money based decks. I'm opening 5/2 and you usually don't want to open Embassy to give your opponent that early Silver. But Venture doesn't seem so hot, too and I don't want to buy a 4$ instead, so I decide to open Embassy and pick up Embargo over Vagrant and nothing for 2. My hope is that I can embargo Embassy before he can get to 5$. He opens 4/3 and goes for Marauder/Silver. I'm finding Embargo in turn 3 and can embargo Embassy as I've hoped (although it collides with my Embassy) so he goes for Venture on 5$. I'm getting Marauder afterwards. I like my position, but he can pick up two Hoards and I only have one. I'm getting the initiative on greening, he finally gets his Embassy. He has to go harder on smaller green cards as he hits 8$ less but also gets a lot of Golds off his extra Hoard. As Duchies and five provinces are gone, I have the extra Province, he has won the Duchy split 5/3 (and also has an extra Estate), so we're even on points. He goes for a second Embassy, I hit my 4th Province. Eventually I can get my 5th province and reach half VP.

1-0

Game 2

Stonemason, Workshop, Envoy, Remodel, Taxman, Haggler, Hunting Party, Torturer, Trading Post, Hunting Grounds
Provinces / Shelters

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140903/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1409770839352.txt

qmech starts

I really want to go Hunting Party here. Haggler seems really nice with it, Trading Post works very well with it to trash those unwanted Shelters and Coppers. I'm thinking about opening Envoy/Silver on 4/3 to get to 5 easier. On the other hand, it's an extra unique and if I play it I'm going to trigger some bad shuffles potentially. So, I just open Silver/Silver. He goes for Silver/Envoy. I'm hitting 5/5 on my second shuffle which is perfect, so I can get Trading Post and Hunting Party, he just buys a lot of money. As he doesn't seem to want Hunting Parties at all, I decide to keep my Necro and to add exactly two Torturers instead of Haggler. He already has two Provinces when I'm buying my first one, but my Hunting Party stack starts rolling and I can attack with my Torturers every turn. He's getting a late Trading Post to trash Curses. I'm a bit worried as I'm getting two hands without Hunting Parties (even without triggering a bad shuffle there) and I decide to buy a Duchy (which always hurts me when I'm playing HP) and another HP. Luckily he can only buy a Duchy and an Estate in those turns. My deck gets rolling again and I can just get the last Province when I have to.
Qmech agrees that my plan was better, I really think that you have to go HP here. I probably should have traded two Coppers for a Silver in turn 10 and I should have considered Stonemason for two 5$s when building up (maybe it's good not to get it, though...). But overall, I'm pretty happy how I played this game.

2-0

Game 3

Oasis, Workshop, Walled Village, Contraband, Harvest, Junk Dealer, Knights, Torturer, Harem, Hoard
Provinces / Estates

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140903/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1409771724751.txt

assemble meme starts

Another Torturer board and this time, there's just no way around it. I want to get to 5$ asap, get a Junk Dealer and then maybe a Workshop to pick up extra villages and maybe Oases and get Torturers and a second JD on subsequent 5$s. So I open double Silver again, he opens Silver/Workshop. Once more my second shuffle likes me and I can buy a Junk Dealer and a Torturer on 5$/6$. His shuffle isn't bad either, he can workshop his first village, buy a Silver and then a Junk Dealer. On exactly 3$ I buy a workshop on T5, he even gets a second one. I'm getting a second Junk Dealer before extra Torturers. He's getting a lot of villages and can pick up number 3 and 4 when I still have one in my deck in T9. In the end I only lose the split 4-6 which ought to be good enough. Our Torturer chains start rolling, but while I'm buying Provinces he picks up Duchies and Estates. Villages are out, Curses are running fast and our Workshops pound the Oases. Being ahead in points I gladly accept the last Curse from his Torturers and get the last Oasis.
We both don't like his second Workshop. I think prioritizing hitting 5$ was good here and again I'm happy with my execution. Maybe there could have been a place for Knights here, but I'm happy if I can ignore them.
Winning the first three games was totally unexpected for me, my hope was to win at least one of those games and now I can't lose the match any more.

3-0

Game 4

Chapel, Courtyard, Squire, Ambassador, Armory, City, Horn of Plenty, Mandarin, Merchant Guild, Soothsayer
Provinces / Estates

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140903/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1409773225794.txt

assemble meme starts

Seeing this board I immediatly write "This is a complicated board". There is an engine to be built and Horn of Plenty can work out, but the draw is very weak. With Squire and Courtyard your handsize won't increase and City is expensive, and you also want Horns when you hit 5$. I'm having 5/2 which is probably very good. You really want Chapel but what else do you open with? I'm thinking about Soothsayer, you eventually want a few Golds but the Curses are out of your opponent's deck very fast with Chapel around. Maybe Courtyard can be an Option or City, even HoP. I decide to pick up Merchant Guild to get some economy. He decides to open Chapel/Squire. My Chapel collides with my Merchant Guild first, but I get a great Chapel turn on turn 6 and after that, most the junk is out of my deck. He trashes his Squire for an early Soothsayer, I'm following later. We're both going for Squires and Courtyards early on. My only starting cards left are two Coppers, where he has three Coppers and two Estates. On my first 5$ after turn 1 I go for HoP, he has 5$ on his next turn and goes for City first. That way, I'm gaining a head start on Horns winning the split 7-3 and I also have two Cities where he only has one. On my next turn I already have 8 unique cards and also 4 Horns. As drawing the deck is so hard and Piles are running (Horns out, Curses low, Cities low) I decide to already trade 3 Horns for Provinces getting one City and buying one City. The priority for both of us is to get as many Cities as possible now, he also buys a Province. With 5 cities in my deck he empties the City supply. Although I only draw one City, all I need to do is to get the last three Curses out of the supply, which I can easily do. So it's 4-0 after four games and that already means my I'm winning my first match in C. Awesome!
My Chapel luck was probably better than his, here. Besides, City on his first 5$ probably wasn't a good idea. Maybe I shouldn't have gotten triple Province on my first big Horn turn, maybe double Province + triple City would been better. But I'm sure I had to start greening there. I'm still not sure about my opening, but in the end it probably proved to be good.

4-0

Game 5

Transmute, Candlestick Maker, Moat, Stonemason, Swindler, JackOfAllTrades, Militia, Monument, Noble Brigand, Mountebank
Provinces/Estates

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140903/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1409774386887.txt

qmech starts

On this board, we have lots of attacks but there's also Jack, and Jack deals very well with most attacks. So we're both going for double Jack with Candlestick Makers first. I decide not to spend a coin token to get a fifth CsM so he wins the split 6-4. Also, he decides to overpay for Stonemason by 5$ for two Mountebanks. I choose to ignore Mountebank and go directly for Golds and Provinces. I'm getting a points lead, but he can deal out some curses with his Mountebanks. In my growing deck I can't block any of those, also my Jacks don't collide with my Curses. Besides, I probably start going for Duchies too early. He can pull ahead but the door is open for the tie and with my decreasing deck quality I think I have to take it.
His Stonemason action was quite interesting here, ignoring Mountebank entirely was probably a big mistake on my site. To never find a Curse with my Jacks might have been a bit unfortunate, though. Probably my first Duchy or my second Gold should have been a Mountebank.

4.5-0.5

Game 6

Embargo, Ambassador, Chancellor, Storeroom, Moneylender, Salvager, Spy, Market, Mountebank, Torturer
Provinces/Estates

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140903/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1409775372651.txt

qmech starts

He opens Silver/Silver and I go for Ambassador/Silver. While I'm trying to get my deck under control he goes for two Mountebanks. Although I can bounce a lot of junk back he still gets a very big point lead. I guess this game is a lesson I've had to learn: Without an engine, Mountebank wins against Ambassador. Not much to say otherwise, very clear win for him.

4.5-1.5

Good times for me, I unexpextedly won this first game and already have 4.5 points to fight my demotion. Great! I guess my shuffle luck could have been worse, but I feel I played decently and finally had a match without silly misclicks ;)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 10:57:08 am by assemble_me »
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 01:56:57 pm »
+1

Good write up, assemble_me.

Game 1 goes pretty badly.  Embargoed Embassies by T3 is sad.

Game 2 is embarrassing.  It's a clear engine board (especially with Shelters) and having too many ways to go is not a reason to go Envoy.  I think the main thing I overlooked is Trading Post, which helps the HP draw a lot.

Game 3: Perhaps if I'd stopped at one Workshop?  Or Silver/Silver into Junk Dealer/Junk Dealer might have been the better opening.

Game 4: I'm not so happy with the Soothsayer, but I think 5/2 was a big deal here.  I'd have taken HoP/Chapel.

Game 5 has too many nice terminals!  I think I was lucky to get so many Curses to stick, but Mountebanks is a strong attack.

Game 6 I seem to have finally woken up and am very pleased to see a board I think I can win on.  Almost everybody will go for Ambassador here, but the payoff is so low (Markets?) that it just slows you down.  Mountebank and Ambassador might lead to similarly clogged decks, but the $2 on Mountebank and 5 card hands get you off to a much better start.  Always pleased to win a BM game.

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 01:51:41 am »

C2: theblankman vs liopoil

Embargo, Ambassador, Forager, Trade Route, Familiar, Gardens, Militia, Tournament, City, Laboratoryhttp://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140905/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1409957595122.txt
I get 5/2 vs double Ambassador, so lio thins out faster, junks my deck a bit, and I do a poor job recovering.  Well played by him grabbing a Curse to really press the Amb advantage while also leveling up City.

Moat, Vagrant, Feast, Ironmonger, Nomad Camp, Tournament, Council Room, Cultist, Saboteur, Goonshttp://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140905/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1409958735542.txt
Vagrant/Cultist seems like a very lucky opening.  That lucks turns when my triple-Cultist hits his Moat.  I still only lose the Ruin split 6-4 and come back to win, but I have no idea what I did right as the game wore on, or if lio did anything wrong, to get this result.  Weird game. 

Moat, Black Market, Menagerie, Navigator, Nomad Camp, Sea Hag, Throne Room, Treasure Map, Bandit Camp, Minionhttp://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140905/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1409960169286.txt
His Moat only prevents one Curse this time, and I get some strong trashers out of the Black Market deck to eventually get my deck together and win.  Lio remarked after the game that he probably should have competed with me for those trashers. 

Great Hall, Menagerie, Workshop, Envoy, Feodum, JackOfAllTrades, Cultist, Explorer, Tactician, Hoardhttp://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140907/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1410124946451.txt
We both go for Jack and Cultist, transitioning into Hoard and taking a flyer on Tactician for potential big turns.  Lio Jack-trashes Cultist to good effect, gets a big Tac turn, and finishes it.

Vineyard, Vagrant, Storeroom, Workshop, Advisor, Baron, Harvest, Pillage, Stash, Venturehttp://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140907/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1410125993933.txt
We both go for the Vineyard rush.  I'm not a fan of Baron or Workshop here.  I don't know what I was thinking when I bought Workshop, Storeroom is just as good at getting cheap actions and also cycles through to Potions.  I like lio's use of Advisor late; it doesn't matter that he draws bad cards if they're just gonna be discarded to Storeroom.  Earlier in the game I would've thought they were bad though, since discarding a Potion while Vineyards remain could be a disaster.

Forager, Workshop, Ironworks, Pirate Ship, Talisman, Golem, Highway, Margrave, Wharf, Adventurerhttp://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140907/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1410127276402.txt
I fall behind a little with his Margrave keeping me from trashing or getting highways, overreact, and dig myself a deeper hole.  Trashing Silver turned out to help his Foragers more than mine, and I probably buy my Potion too early; the first time I draw it I'm short of Golem.  Those misplays help him to a pile of Highways with which he easily finishes.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 12:29:55 pm by theblankman »
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Adam's write-up
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 11:52:02 pm »
+2

Division C1: AdamH 3.5 games, michaeljb 2.5 games

Link to entire stream on Twitch (part 1)
Link to entire stream on Twitch (part 2)
Link to YouTube playlist

Game 1: AdamH 30, michaeljb 27
Game log     Twitch highlight     YouTube video
Kingdom Cards: Fool's Gold, Forager, Scout, Throne Room, Bazaar, Count, Journeyman, Outpost, Soothsayer, Bank, with Shelters

Well all the components are here for an engine. With the strong trashing in Forager I didn't think it would come down so much to lucky draws, but it certainly did. michaeljb goes heavily for Fool's Golds early on and I aim to start drawing lots of cards. I have a big lead on pace until I have a bad shuffle, I try to play around it poorly, and it sets me back like 3 turns. He gets the jump on greening and has a lead, but with my extra turn as first player I see a way to use my Outpost turn to catch up if I manage to not stall, and that's exactly what happens, so I win by a Duchy.

Here's a gem from the chat. I have no idea if this is intentional or not.

<liopoil> Yeah hitting 5 is important. I like getting a scout
<liopoil> count*

And an IRL friend brings back this blast from the past, which I believe is discussed at length throughout further games. I can't wait to read it!

<megan_omcf> oh right, we need to make the Adam drinking game

Game 2: michaeljb 29, AdamH 31
Kingdom Cards: Loan, Masquerade, Horse Traders, Rats, Taxman, Bazaar, Catacombs, Mountebank, Saboteur, Grand Market

He opens 5/2 on a Mountebank board, which doesn't look good for me (though the chat speculates that 3/4 is actually better on this board. I don't think I agree but I think it's close) and follows it up with lots of $5 hands while I struggle in the beginning. However, I invest in two early Loans which do great work for me and he doesn't pick up a Loan until T12 (which I believe is game-deciding). Loan cleans up after Mountebank non-terminally and really helps get Grand Markets (which he never found the time to pick up).

He wins the Bazaar split 6/4, but with 5 Grand Markets I'm able to force him to go for full green before getting any GMs. He gets off to a sizeable lead but in the end I'm able to have a couple of big turns at the right time to mount a huge comeback. Tense endgame decisions as well, this game was pretty fun to play.

Liopoil was pretty adamant in the chat that I should get Rats. I can't tell if he was kidding.

Game 3: michaeljb 6, AdamH 6
Kingdom Cards: Poor House, Pawn, Scrying Pool, Develop, Menagerie, Marauder, Wandering Minstrel, Jester, Laboratory, Royal Seal, with Shelters

So Scrying Pool is important here and you can't thin with Develop, there's a lot of interaction here that surrounds Ruins and it's tough for me to tell if/when I should be going for Develop. I decide not to open with it and don't pick it up until it's arguably too late -- I should have opened with it.

So he ends up getting more Pawns than me, which gives him pile control. With a 6-6 tie on points and me going second, he leaves the piles in a state where he thinks I can't empty them and take a tie, but he forgets that I got a second Develop at this point and I decide to take the tie.

I looked for a while to see if I could win the game on my last turn but I'm pretty sure it wasn't possible.

<mic_qsenoch> i hope he stops saying wandering winder
<jsh357> he won't
<mic_qsenoch> i know
<jsh357> and now it's part of the drinking game

<3 MQ <3

Game 4: michaeljb 44, AdamH 10
Kingdom Cards: Hamlet, Apothecary, Black Market, Fishing Village, Forager, Menagerie, Bureaucrat, Bandit Camp, Count, Stables
Black Market Deck: Loan, Thief, Jester, Prince, Venture, Village, Cellar, Feast, Festival, Laboratory, Moneylender, Philosopher's Stone, Contraband, Doctor, Develop, Tournament, Horn of Plenty, Shanty Town, Rats, Noble Brigand, Merchant Guild, Minion, Caravan, Altar, Candlestick Maker

Black Market and Tournament in the Black Market. I hate everything about this game. We both could have played better but I feel like I lost because he pulled Tournament from the BM deck. I'd like to say more but I'll just say that Black Market is a stupid card and I hate it, and that's putting it lightly.

We played the rest of this match in a different session...

Game 5: AdamH 43, michaeljb 32
Kingdom Cards: Herbalist, Oracle, Philosopher's Stone, Marauder, Silk Road, Harvest, Jester, Minion, Farmland, Goons

Lots of attacks here, but Minion is the only non-terminal and no trashing, so no real engine possibilities. Herbalist/Phil Stone holds up very nicely in the face of all of the attacks present so we both go for it.

He draws very well and gets Phil Stone on both turn 3 and turn 4, but I'm able to win the Herbalist split and even up the Phil Stones at 4 apiece. I pick up a Goons and a Gold, building a little bit more (imagine that) while he goes hard for green, getting Farmlands and Estates in preparation for Silk Roads.

I'm able to get relatively consistent Provinces -- it turns out my $6 buys were pretty inconsequential because they both ended up being Farmland food before I ever played either of them. The game ends on piles as I empty the last two simultaneously with Farmland.

<jsh357> even i can hear the crickets fro south carolina
<megan_omcf> it's like he has them trained to chirp while he is thinking

The weather has recently been such that it's really nice to have my windows open at night, so you can hear the crickets that live in my yard pretty well on the stream. It's pretty amusing, I think (and somewhat soothing, I guess). The microphone on my headset is good at picking them up, especially when I'm not talking.

Game 6: AdamH 34, michaeljb 37
Kingdom Cards: Crossroads, Doctor, Masquerade, Coppersmith, Procession, Remake, Graverobber, Market, Wharf, Possession

Such a difficult game to play. I'd save it for the Champion match but this one just has to be really swingy so I don't think I will. Lots of really bizarre interactions here, and there's almost certainly a Rock/Paper/Scissors interaction between several of the strategies. I'm never sure of what I'm doing here and I lose the game -- though I don't know if anyone can ever be sure of what they're doing on this board.

We both end up with decks with Crossroads, Wharves, some Markets, and Possessions. From there we just go for full green and he comes out ahead. You'll notice my commentary on this board is lacking -- that's because I've thought about this game for like a day and I still have no idea what happened, nor how one should play it, other than very tactically and with good draws. What are good draws? Well I don't freakin' know...

<mic_qsenoch> this is a really hard board to play well i think

Good, at least someone good agrees with me.

<wanderingwinder> ...
<megan_omcf> hi stephanie!

Oh boy, the things that the chat comes up with sometimes... You guys... Can I even explain this? Probably not, since it doesn't really make sense. Then why am I quoting it?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 03:05:35 pm by AdamH »

assemble_me

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 07:16:57 pm »
+3

C3: assemble me vs. jsh357

My second match this season, again against one of the top rated players of my division, jsh357. I've figured if I get 13.5 points I probably won't become last at that's what I'm aiming for. Maybe I can even become 4th with that. It might still be not all that ambitious after winning my first match, but I can't count on keeping this up for the whole season - I'm still worst regarding Iso rating. As I already have 4.5 points I have to get 9 points in 4 matches. Here I'm playing against an opponent who's rated 15 Iso levels higher than me, so I guess I really want to win one of those games. 2 and I'm fine, anything beyond would make me really happy.
As there's also his video of our match I'll comment on his video in here as well. I really enjoyed watching it, I found it especially insightful at those points where our opinions and perceptions of the game diverged. If you're interested in watching the video, there's the link: http://www.twitch.tv/jsh357/b/567537477
Btw: Does anyone have the log of the twitch chat? I'd be happy to read about the thoughts that were expressed there.

Game 1

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140911/log.505c6645a2e6c78ad2ed5ad3.1410459227665.txt

Develop, Woodcutter, Conspirator, Smithy, Tournament, Butcher, Horn of Plenty, Saboteur, Torturer, Hunting Grounds
Provinces / Estates

assemble_me starts

So it's not only a league game but also a Tournament game ;). I really think it's just the way to go. There's no village besides Trusty Steed so you have to play a Big Moneyesque game. He opens Smithy/Silver on 4/3, and I have to think for another minute. I'm not a big fan going for terminal draw when it's Tournament only. You might get some stuff a bit earlier but it does not help you connecting Tournament and Province. So I go Silver/Tournament. He can pick up a Gold very early and goes for a Torturer, he also gets a Horn here for extra Tournaments. I pick up Butcher on my first 5 and get a Torturer as well, the discard seems to be too good to not get it at all. I'm getting a Province first and can also connect it with Tournament first. For his deck Trusty Steed is probably more reasonable, I decide to get Followers. He gets the Steed later but he can't catch up my small lead from early on.

1-0

Game 2

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140911/log.505c6645a2e6c78ad2ed5ad3.1410461223891.txt

Scrying Pool, Black Market, Woodcutter (Bane), Salvager, Spy, Throne Room, Counting House, Mint, Rabble, Border Village, Possession
Colonies / Estates

jsh357 starts

This board looks much more interesting. It's clearly an engine here with a nice Black Market deck and Possession. He opens Black Market/Potion. I'm not so sure going for Scrying Pool right away is best here. With cheap trashing only in the BM deck I want to try to get a big Mint first, so I open Black Market/Salvager and get a Rabble on my first 5$, but I can't get a reasonable amount of Coppers into my hand and have to just go for the Potion at some point. He's lucky to get an early Steward from the BM. He's already drawing big amounts of his deck when I can get an Urchin and later Mercenary for very much needed trashing, as he also starts hitting me with throned Torturers from the BM. I think I probably evened out his deck building lead when he suddenly gets Possession. Out of sight, out of mind, I've almost forgot about it sitting on the next page and piles are already quite low. I decide to just go for it myself on my next turn. Of course, he plays Posession but doesn't play Throne Room for a double Posession turn and while possessing me he also salvages my Potion, which means he can't end the game because he would have needed to buy the last Scrying Pool. He decides to play my Mercenary to give me a bad hand when Possessing him (Sorry to point that out but Throne/Steward/Posession instead of Border Village/Steward/Possession would have been much worse). He can still buy double Colony. So, I think I need to go all in on my turn with Salvager and go for double Colony and Scrying Pool so I need Colony/BV+TR/BV+TR to end the game, and I have two Possession turns to do that. So I get to draw his deck and notice his pretty Vault from the BM, so I want to do the Vault trick and discard all actions to redraw with Scrying Pool. But, with a throned second Vault I discard my Pool instead of playing it, so I can only get a single Colony during that turn. Luckily I get a second turn with his deck. Without messing around I just go for the two Border Villages as soon as I can.
Pretty funny match with some epic misplays. I probably wouldn't have gotten Possession if he wouldn't have gone for it. I'm not sure if opening Potion was just better here than what I did.

2-0

Game 3

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140911/log.505c6645a2e6c78ad2ed5ad3.1410462379544.txt

Poor House, Pearl Diver, Stonemason, Sage, Trade Route, Spice Merchant, Worker's Village, City, Contraband, Harem
Provinces / Estates

assemble_me starts

This is a rather weak board here. I'm not sure how well it will work, but I decide that I want to build a Poor House deck with Worker's Villages. There's no draw for that besides activated Cities but on this board I guess it would be worth it even without those. I decide to open Sage/Spice Merchant. He decides to mirror my opening. I go for a second Spice Merchant right after that, I don't want to use Stonemason to trash Coppers, I rather want to trash other Stonemasons and Estates into Poor Houses. My deck is getting thinner a bit faster but it's not a huge deal. With Stonemasons around piles are running fast. I'm getting a Trade Route in between which is really bad. I trash an Estate so he's ahead by one point and piles are already low enough for him to pile out. Maybe I need another lesson in Stonemason maths ;).

2-1

Game 4

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140911/log.505c6645a2e6c78ad2ed5ad3.1410464646111.txt

Vineyard, Embargo, Haven, Great Hall, Oracle, Thief, Wandering Minstrel, Butcher, Journeyman, Upgrade
Provinces / Shelters

jsh357 starts

This is a nice board here. I somehow feel that Butcher is really the key card here, whoever plays more Butchers will win. So, I want to build an engine that plays a lot of those. I'm a bit confused how Vineyards will mix in there. There's no +Buy and no usual gainer, so you have to use Butcher and Upgrade if you want extra stuff. He opens Mistrel and I'm inclined to open with it as well, the split seems important here. He picks up Embargo with it at the start, I just get an Oracle. He embargoes Vineyards and that makes me feel much more comofortable. He goes for Upgrades first before Butcher, I want Butcher first. I also try to go hard for Minstrels and get another Butcher. I decide to get two in-between Great Halls. He gets the initiative on greening but my deck seems more reliable. I'm quite afraid during the endgame, he has three Butchers and with four Provinces left I'm not sure I can safely get one but I still think I have to go Province/Duchy. He only gets a single Province during his turn and with six tokens at the start of my turn I can easily pick up the last two Provinces during my turn.
That "wow" was actually because of two reasons: First: The release of winning after that tough endgame. Second: I'm just happy if I ensure a draw against an opponent who's ranked 15 Iso levels above me :).
"[...]since this guy is much better than his level indicates" - wow, now I'm feeling really flattered. Maybe our last two games changed your opinion a little bit afterwards. ;)

3-1

Game 5

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140911/log.505c6645a2e6c78ad2ed5ad3.1410466068629.txt

Crossroads, Stonemason, Scheme, Steward, Caravan, Treasure Map, Worker's Village, Catacombs, Graverobber, Stables
Provinces / Estates

assemble_me starts

My plan on this board is to get a very thin deck with Stewards, use mainly Worker's Villages and Catacombs for draw (because of the lack of Coppers), then add double Treasure Map as payload and maybe get some Stables afterwards to smoothen out my draw. Graverobbers can also be nice late in the game. I open Steward/Scheme, he goes for Steward/Caravan. I decide to go for a second Steward as it can also be used to draw and go for a Village on my first 5. He's mainly going for Stables as draw. We both get Stonemason for double Treasure Map. My deck is much thinner at that point. We're building more. I'm very confused about his second pair of Treasure Maps there. As I can draw my deck again next turn, with 14$ and enough Buys I'm sure I have to get a Province. My first intention is to just get Gold to enable double Province turns or maybe trash them later with Stonemason. But then I decide to follow for the second pair of Maps :/. I can't collide them right away and see that piles are already too low to wait further. Unfortunately I haven't been able to draw a lot of my deck and just have to go for as much points as I can get - and so he can end it on his next turn.
That second pair of maps was just horrible, probably mostly anything (Stables, Graverobber, Gold) would have been better there...
I didn't went for Caravans here because I just thought I needed more villages. I guess opening Caravan/Steward was better though.
I don't think I had a chance to end this on a win, I tried to figure out my hand and I believe it was Stonemason, Stonemason, Stonemason, Province, Graverobber, Treasure Map, Copper, Gold (4 actions, 5 buys).

3-2

Game 6

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140911/log.505c6645a2e6c78ad2ed5ad3.1410467520754.txt

Secret Chamber, Apothecary, Black Market, Develop, Masquerade, City, Graverobber, Horn of Plenty, Journeyman, Margrave
Provinces / Shelters

jsh357 starts

So this is clearly a Horn of Plenty engine here. Components are quite expensive and you probably need Cities and Margraves, and you probably want to go for Apothecary as well. And of course, you can't ignore Masquerade. We're doing the same during our first four turns, we're opening Masquerade/Potion and get Black Market and Apothecary after the reshuffle. Turn 5 I'm going for Apothecary over Margrave, because I don't want a third terminal yet, which is probably a big mistake. He gets Margrave on his next turn and it's all down from there for me. I'm getting a lot of 4$ hands which are just dreadful here, you don't want that many Masquerades (especially without Villages). He happily picks up lots of Cities and Horns and I'm falling more and more behind. I don't think I have any chance left but I've learned from last season that you might be able to squeak a win if your opponent isn't paying close attention to piles. Doesn't happen here, and finally I just want to end that game as fast as possible. I probably would have resigned here if it wasn't a league match.
I surely should have taken the Squire. I guess I've just played sloppy because I've already been so far behind there.

3-3

OK, i guess I could have done better in the end but still I'm feeling like a winner to play draw against a much higher rated opponent. Thanks to jsh for the matches and also for streaming these games :). I enjoyed playing and watching a lot.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 05:18:52 am by assemble_me »

theblankman

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 06:08:48 pm »
+1

theblankman vs temron

Game 1

Conspirator, Ironmonger, Plaza, Thief, Band of Misfits, Butcher, Jester, Knights, Mine, Upgrade
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140913/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1410636514150.txt

We both went for stacks of Upgrade, Ironmonger, Conspirator, a few Butchers, and a Jester each.  The only hand-size increaser on the board is Sir Destry.  After the game I found out we were both eyeballing him, I pulled the trigger first and it seemed to make a difference, getting me a few better hands while he lived.  Overall I think I pulled the better knights and that helped me take a lead and burn down the Provinces with my Butchers. 

Game 2

Pawn, Chancellor, Watchtower, Workshop, Mining Village, Thief, Mine, Goons, Grand Market, Expand
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140913/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1410637108374.txt

How often does one get to say that opening Mine is a big deal?  I get one later but I'm not sure if it's still as good after the opening.  We go for similar engines around MV, Watchtower and Goons, but Temron gets his deck together faster and beats me pretty good. 

Game 3

Bureaucrat, Cutpurse, Ironmonger, Mining Village, Plaza, Rats, Thief, Counterfeit, Haggler, Fairgrounds
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140913/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1410637987434.txt

Seems like my opening Cutpurse did a lot of work here.  He settles for a few cheaper cards while I'm picking up Counterfeit and Haggler, and I feel ahead from there on.  We both get 6-point Fairgrounds, but I also buy several of the Provinces to build a lead, and eventually get the to finish line (when I hit the last Province I was also pretty close to half the available points, 8-point Fairgrounds weren't possible). 

Game 4

Transmute, Crossroads, Vagrant, Taxman, Library, Mystic, Stables, Wharf, Grand Market, Prince
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140913/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1410638880727.txt

We both want to use Prince of Vagrant and/or Crossroads as a reliable village here.  He gets one of each up before I get my single one going, and also wins the Wharf split, but thanks to Taxman my cash is more densely packed in my deck, and there's more of it.  Between that and some fortunate draws down the stretch, I'm able to pull out a win.

Game 5

Courtyard, Fool's Gold, Storeroom, Bureaucrat, Envoy, Walled Village, Knights, Pillage, Tactician, King's Court
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140913/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1410639602050.txt

We start out with a pretty straight Fool's Gold rush, with Storeroom to enable it.  Then we both take Tactician for potential big turns.  He then takes some Envoys and King's Courts while I jump right into greening.  He could've won with two Provinces on his last turn, but I guess he missed that, and I ended it the turn after.  I feel pretty fortunate to have escaped this one. 

Game 6

Haven, Menagerie, Urchin, Armory, Bridge, Taxman, Journeyman, Junk Dealer, Soothsayer, Border Village
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140913/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1410640818552.txt

I get my Mercenary first and trash down, but I'm not ahead by much, so it comes down to a tight endgame.  On my last turn, I know he only has three bridges in his deck for 4 buys and $5-cost Provinces, so I thought it was safe to take a Border Village and a 6-point lead.  Forgot about his Armory until he gained BV+Bridge and played them the same turn, leaving enough cash and buys to pull ahead and end it.  The turn before, if I just buy Duchy and leave the additional Border Village out there, I'm not sure if he can end the game.  I think I could also have bought two more Estates and left him with the chance to tie instead of win.  Either way he played this very well at the end. 

Thanks for the games Temron! 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:52:20 pm by theblankman »

theblankman

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 06:08:50 pm »
+2

theblankman vs kingzog3

I am disgusted by this whole match.  Mostly with myself, but some left over for the randomness of Dominion.  I didn't find any of the kingdoms much fun and shuffles played more of a role than I'd like.  I am getting more and more convinced that plain-random is a bad way to make kingdoms, and we need something better (veto or otherwise).  That said, even the game I won, I don't think I played well.  So, on to the breakdown. 

Game 1

Fortune Teller, Menagerie, Oasis, Philosopher's Stone, Conspirator, Quarry, Contraband, Soothsayer, Upgrade, Farmland
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140908/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1410229874009.txt

We both open Quarry/Oasis, and I'm thinking I we both want to play bunches of actions (Oasis, Upgrade, Menagerie and Conspirator).  With Contraband as the only +Buy here, double-Province turns are off the table, but that still seems as fast as big-money, right?  Then he buys a Soothsayer, and I follow suit, which might've been a mistake.  I probably should've just taken another Upgrade and figured I'd clear away the curses.  Then again maybe Conspirator doesn't come together fast enough on its own here and you do want to gain Gold, I'm not sure.  I am sure the second Soothsayer was wrong for both of us.  Anyway I clean my deck out faster than him thanks to more Upgrades, and start greening with the help of Farmland, now playing a money-ish deck with Oasis and Menagerie to try to cycle.  I take a 7-point lead leaving two Provinces, right after reshuffling a deck with 6 Gold, a cantrip or two, 2 copper and 4 green cards.  My most likely hands get one more Province to all but seal the win, so of course I draw both coppers and two green cards.  He breaks PPR, which I think is questionable given my likely hand.  I can do nothing but take a Duchy, and he hits the last Province. 

Game 2

Embargo, Menagerie, Remake, Tournament, Wandering Minstrel, Apprentice, Baker, Bazaar, Governor, Knights
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140914/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1410734960891.txt

I'm thinking Governor + Menagerie is good, I can remodel things and then get active Menageries.  But I way overdo it on the Menageries, and he uses Governor for draw more often than I expect early, which ends up hurting me by putting more duplicates in my hand than I can get rid of.  By the time I have the Gov + Menagerie plan close to working, he has a bigger lead than I can overcome.  Again, I played sloppy.  A second Remake might've been okay, and probably anything is better than the last couple Menageries. 

Game 3

Vineyard, Forager, Great Hall, Oasis, Coppersmith, Moneylender, Explorer, Outpost, Rebuild, Tactician
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140914/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1410735756480.txt

A Rebuild game.  Not my favorite thing but not the worst either.  I don't think there's anything to compete with Rebuild here, but he thinks Vineyards can.  I'm right, but it still takes me 18 turns to drive all 8 Provinces.  That feels slow, but I'm not sure what I did wrong.  Maybe the wrong mix of Oasis and Silver?  Maybe more Oasis to try to cycle through to Rebuilds as fast to possible?  I just have a hunch that I picked the right strategy and won despite mediocre execution. 

Game 4

Vineyard, Secret Chamber, Feodum, Taxman, Tournament, Butcher, Hunting Party, Laboratory, Outpost, Royal Seal
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140914/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1410736245690.txt

A tournament game, but at least a somewhat interesting one.  Hunting Party is great at cycling and enabling the connection.  Butcher lets you save up coins for a quick Province.  He buys labs early, which I think is a total mistake.  Meanwhile my Silver misses my first Shuffle, my Butcher misses the next, and I hit few $5s early.  I settle for more Tournaments on $4 when I really want Hunting Party instead, then spike a Province and make a lucky connection for Followers.  I feel like I have to take Followers here because my deck has no draw and my economy isn't great, so the discard attack would be really painful and I can't risk him getting it.  If I had a couple Hunting Parties at that point, I would've considered Steed instead.  Lucky connection aside, his deck is much better than mine because he's been able to get the draw cards.  I only get to play Followers twice while he quickly snatches the other four Prizes and plows through the Provinces.  What bugs me about this game is just how far you can get set back by one or two cards missing a shuffle (I think this is true in general, not just in Tournament games).  I don't know what I could have done differently here?  Buying Silver or Taxman instead of more Tournaments doesn't sound right. 

Game 5

Embargo, Great Hall, Herald, Silk Road, Taxman, Band of Misfits, Embassy, Outpost, Rebuild, Stash
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140914/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1410737421722.txt

Despite the presence of Great Hall and Silk Road, no extra gains or buys (Outpost aside) makes this seem like another Rebuild-centric game.  This time there's a discard attack in Taxman, so there's a subgame of, "Who knocks out the other guy's $5 turn?"  I lose that game twice and never win it.  His Taxman also nets him two Gold, good enough to buy a Province outright, which makes the difference despite me getting my third Rebuild before him.  I don't think I made any awful plays here, just got hit by attacks at bad times, and Rebuild games are unforgiving.  Playing the card almost always brings the game closer to ending (some pile gets lower), so if you're behind it can become dead, which hurts your ability to catch up. 

Game 6

Courtyard, Moat, Pawn, Envoy, JackOfAllTrades, Salvager, Smithy, Golem, Jester, Mine
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140914/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1410738941119.txt

And here is the definitive proof that I suck at this game.  Jack seems like a big deal here (as usual).  I have a 5/2, and somehow convince myself that an early Jester will be a good junking attack because Jack it'll hit Copper that Jack can't trash.  Courtyard is pretty obvious on $2 but I definitely should have just overpaid for Jack as my other starting card.  Maybe even played double-Jack and trashed the Courtyard at some point.  Meanwhile he gets something going with Golem and cycles a lot on account of having few other actions in his deck, and at one point topdecking one Golem with a Courtyard played by the other.  I eventually follow suit on the Golem, but I don't know why.  It takes until turn 16 for him to get his fourth Province, so I don't think Golem was actually good here, but whatever I did was worse.  I definitely should have opened Jack, and probably just tried to play as close to double-Jack as possible given the 5/2 opening.  Instead I just played awful. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 06:20:27 pm by theblankman »

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 02:34:58 pm »

Game 1

Fortune Teller, Menagerie, Oasis, Philosopher's Stone, Conspirator, Quarry, Contraband, Soothsayer, Upgrade, Farmland
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140908/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1410229874009.txt

We both open Quarry/Oasis, and I'm thinking I we both want to play bunches of actions (Oasis, Upgrade, Menagerie and Conspirator).  With Contraband as the only +Buy here, double-Province turns are off the table, but that still seems as fast as big-money, right?  Then he buys a Soothsayer, and I follow suit, which might've been a mistake.  I probably should've just taken another Upgrade and figured I'd clear away the curses.  Then again maybe Conspirator doesn't come together fast enough on its own here and you do want to gain Gold, I'm not sure.  I am sure the second Soothsayer was wrong for both of us.  Anyway I clean my deck out faster than him thanks to more Upgrades, and start greening with the help of Farmland, now playing a money-ish deck with Oasis and Menagerie to try to cycle.  I take a 7-point lead leaving two Provinces, right after reshuffling a deck with 6 Gold, a cantrip or two, 2 copper and 4 green cards.  My most likely hands get one more Province to all but seal the win, so of course I draw both coppers and two green cards.  He breaks PPR, which I think is questionable given my likely hand.  I can do nothing but take a Duchy, and he hits the last Province. 

You can still double-Province on this board if the opponent prohibits Province with Contraband because of Farmland. So you should skip Soothsayer and build the Menagerie engine with 1 Contraband. You need to build to at least $12 with two $6 cards in hand (probably 2 Golds or 1 Gold/1 Farmland) and the ability to hit $16. Play Contraband first; if opponent prohibits Farmland, play the Golds and buy 2 Provinces. If opponent prohibits Province, buy 2 Farmlands.

In the actual game, KingZog was smart to break PPR, since he was down by 7 points. His other option is Farmland Silver into Duchy, but then he's still down 2 points and if you get the penultimate Province on your next turn, he needs to Farmland Gold into Province just to tie. 

assemble_me

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 05:09:48 pm »
+1

C3: HarryPeteur vs. assemble_me

My 3rd game so far, I'm well on my track to not getting demoted. Today I'm playing against HarryPeteur who is ranked second to last on Iso (right above me) in our division but since he won his first game 4-2 it's the top match of our division in that way ;). To stay on my path I'll need to score 2 points, which would be okay, but winning feels much better, of course.

Game 1

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140917/log.516d4542e4b082c74d7b70a8.1410977152756.txt

Embargo, Village, Navigator, Procession, Taxman, Counting House, Merchant Guild, Stash, Treasury, Hunting Grounds
Provinces / Estates

assemble_me starts

This board looks like you want to build an engine with lots of Merchant Guilds. I'm inclined to open Navigator here and maybe get Procession later to Procession it into a Merchant Guild? Overall Procession doesn't seem so hot to me, so I just open Silver/Silver. He opens Silver/Taxman. Taxman might be not all that bad here, maybe you can deny them some 5$ or 6$ hands, but on the other hand, it delays your own economy and it'll be harder to hit 5 or 6 yourself. I'm getting my Hunting Grounds and Merchant Guilds faster than him and also win the Village split 6-4. However, with 5 Provinces gone we're starting to get lots of dud hands where no one can get really off and we're starting to go for smaller green cards. I'm getting one more big turn and decide to run out Duchies with two Merchant Guilds in play as I'm a little concerned about his late Processions for Hunting Grounds. On my next turn I pass 50% VP and he just ends it. I guess I've had some nice draws early on, but I don't like his Taxman.

1-0

Game 2

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140917/log.516d4542e4b082c74d7b70a8.1410978081646.txt

Smugglers, Urchin, Alchemist, Scout, Silk Road, Bazaar, Counterfeit, Cultist, Stables, Torturer
Provinces / Estates

HarryPeteur starts

Lots of attacks you want to chain here, but the Village is very expensive. I'm wondering if going straight for Cultist would be the thing to do here, but I think thinning and a Torturer engine is the way to go, so we're both opening Urchin/Urchin. My plan is to get Bazaars and Torturers afterwards. He can connect his Urchins right now, so I have to go for more Urchins. He also adds a Potion for Alchemists. I don't really like Alchemists here, but I struggle to get to 5$ for Bazaar/Torturer/Counterfeit. He's getting way ahead and we both have some stupid Counterfeit misclicks. It's hard to say what I could have done better after being just two turns behind right from the start.
I would really like know how you would have played this one.

1-1

Game 3

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140917/log.516d4542e4b082c74d7b70a8.1410979086893.txt

Crossroads, Stonemason (Bane), Hermit, Masquerade, Shanty Town, Steward, Mining Village, Monument, Young Witch, Governor, Mine
Provinces / Estates

assemble_me starts

We have Governor on the board so that's the thing to go for, right?
He's opening Mining Village/Steward, I'm opening Steward/Silver and add a Mining Village later. I'm winning the Governor split 6-4 but he gets the initative on greening. I'm a bit puzzled what to do right before a reshuffle and decide to add another Gold and just buy a Province where I probably should have tried to draw more Governors, but it was a tough spot and I don't know if double Province would have been save. Suddenly there's only one Province left and I'd need more Duchies then there are left, so I just end it on a loss.

1-2

Game 4

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140917/log.516d4542e4b082c74d7b70a8.1410979680549.txt

Native Village, Swindler, Urchin, Philosopher's Stone, Trader, Cache, Council Room, Festival, Graverobber, Grand Market
Provinces / Estates

HarryPeteur starts

We both decide that getting thin to add Grand Markets is the way to go, and we decide to open Swindler/Urchin. Once again, he can get Mercenary right away and his Swindler also hits some of my Urchins, so it takes me until turn 9 to get a Mercenary where he already has 2 GMs. Not much more to say, I'd have needed a miracle to come back.

1-3

Game 5

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140917/log.516d4542e4b082c74d7b70a8.1410980554614.txt

Lookout, Shanty Town, Swindler (Bane), Woodcutter, Bureaucrat, Remodel, Young Witch, Golem, Embassy, Merchant Guild, Outpost
Provinces / Estates

assemble_me starts

We both open Lookout/Swindler here and decide to ignore Young Witch. I'm picking up a second Swindler a Shanty Town and go for Embassy into a money based approach. He goes for Potion and Golem. The Golem plan seems so slow and Embassy is very good with money.
Slowly his engine does come together, but I already have a lot of Provinces and he can't catch up.
So I got my second win here and I'm within my plan... and maybe I can even draw at the end.

2-3

Game 6

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140917/log.516d4542e4b082c74d7b70a8.1410981379297.txt

Beggar, Cellar, Native Village, Pearl Diver, Stonemason, Watchtower, Farming Village, Moneylender, Plaza, Peddler
Provinces / Estates

HarryPeteur starts

This board really misses +Buy and I'm just inclined to go for something like Big Money Watchtower. But on the other hand, adding Peddlers should be just fine and some Plazas for tokens. I also don't mind some Golds in my deck. I think I'm a bit ahead when I find out that you get nothing with your Stonemason if you want to overpay for 0-cost Peddlers :/. I have a nice amount of coin tokens but he has way more as I'm starting to go for green. Right before he would have to start Duchy dancing or break PPR, he can use a Stonemason to trash a Peddler for Duchies, where I have a dud hand, and so he wins. Maybe I should have kept my second Stonemason here to hope for something similar.

2-4

I didn't play my best games this season here and also got unlucky in both Urchin games. But I guess I'm still fine, I got two more points in which is according to plan and I just hope I have preserved my luck for the last two games this season.
Thanks to HarryPeteur for the games
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 03:10:30 am by assemble_me »

assemble_me

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 04:42:35 pm »
+2

C3: Emeric vs assemble_me

Today, it's my fourth game and it's against Emeric, who is among the lowest three rated players in our division (with me). I still want to get 4 points to stay according to my plan, but I'm having big respect for my last opponent, MarkowKette and Emeric hadn't had the greatest results this season, so maybe I can play draw or even win? On the other hand, the other "lower" player of our division beat me 4-2 last week...

/E: Added missing log for games 4-6

Game 1

Oasis, Oracle, Watchtower, Alchemist, Ironmonger, Smithy, Wandering Minstrel, Cache, Stash, Peddler
Provinces / Estates

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140922/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1411408718058.txt

Emeric starts

A strange board with no clear way for me to go. There's a real lack of +Buy so you can't build an engine or go for a stack of Peddlers. Watchtower and Cache synergize so I decide to go BM with Ironongers and Watchtower. He goes for Ironmongers and an Oracle. We both gain a lot of Golds. He gets the initiative on greening, has a steady lead and wins. Funny I've never hit 5$ so I could just go for Golds and didn't have to go for Cache. Maybe just BM Smithy or Alchemist stack would have been better...

0-1

Game 2

Duchess, Hamlet, Warehouse, Pirate Ship, Salvager, Scavenger, Highway, Hoard, Hunting Grounds, King's Court
Provinces / Estates

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140922/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1411410031796.txt

Emeric starts

This time it's clearly an engine with Highway, King's Court and Hamlet and Salvager for +Buy. He opens Warehouse/Salvager on 3/4. I'm having 5/2 and gladly open Highway/Hamlet. I'm forgetting that Salvager is affected by Highway on turn 8 so I loose the Highway split. From there on things start snowballing, he gets KC first, adds a Hoard for Salvager fodder and extra money and wins easily

0-2

Game 3

Poor House, Pearl Diver, University, Develop, Ironmonger, Spice Merchant, Treasure Map, Apprentice, City, Peddler
Provinces / Shelters

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140922/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1411410665502.txt

assemble_me starts

On this board, it looks like Apprentice is the dominating card. You can gain Apprentices with University, add Peddlers for extra Apprentice fodder and use Spice Merchant for +Buy. I'm having 5/2 and am a bit worried, I would have liked to open Potion. I'm opening Apprentice/Pearl Diver, he opens Potion/Silver. I'm getting my Potion on my second shuffle. I can pick up more Apprentices than him, he starts to pick up Cities early. In the end Apprentices are gone and he leaves two Cities in the supply. I can find all my three Univesities, empty the Cities, draw my deck and have enough buys to pile out Peddlers.

1-2

Game 4

Market Square, Warehouse, Death Cart, Herald, Marauder, Moneylender, Bazaar, Counting House, Merchant Ship, Stash
Provinces / Estates

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140922/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1411411661032.txt

assemble_me starts

I open 4/3 and open Moneylender/Silver. He has 5/2 and opens Merchant Ship. I'm adding Marauder, then a bunch of Heralds, he goes for an early Death Cart. We split the Heralds 5/5 and both add a Bazaar and Market Squares. With lots of ruins, but also two Death Carts in his deck he can get a point lead. In the end he could have the won with a double Province turn, but he misclicks and trashes his wrong Death Cart. I have enough money to win, but don't draw my Market Square, and so he wins.
I'm not convinced of what we did here, maybe just BM with Marauder and Merchant Ship would have been better.

1-3

Game 5

Horse Traders, Procession, Remake, Scavenger, Scout, Spice Merchant, Embassy, Margrave, Rebuild, Prince
Provinces / Shelters

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140922/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1411412064392.txt

Emeric starts

He opens Siler/Scavenger where I open Silver/Horse Traders. As second player, I decide I want to check out if Embassy BM can win against Rebuild on a Board with Shelters. It's closer than I thought and as first player or with better draws I might have won. I think Horse Traders is better for the Rebuild plan than it is for the money plan, but maybe Scavenger is best in both cases.

1-4

Game 6

Chapel, Conspirator, Marauder, Spy, Thief, Counterfeit, Hunting Party, Ill-Gotten Gains, Mint, Border Village
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140922/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1411412496521.txt

assemble_me starts

We both decide to ignore IGG here with Chapel around. He opens Chapel/Marauder where I open Chapel/Conspirator. I want to build a Conspirator engine with Hunting Parties. My chapel misses the shuffle and I have a big blackout: I pick up extra Conspirators right away. I don't have much Coppers around and my Conspirators can't activate. He's already doing crazy things with his Conspirators, Hunting Parties, Counterfeits and Spoils. It's my most embarrassing league game in three seasons and I decide it's just time to resign.

1-5

It's been an awful evening for me. I can't even blame bad luck for this, I just played bad tonight as if I had learned nothing during my last year of playing. I guess I just have to get this evening out of my head, look forward and hope to win a bunch of games in my last match.
I'm almost happy I did not finish setting up my twitch for streaming as intended.
Good luck for Emeric for his last matches of the season.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 08:12:36 am by assemble_me »

Monsieur X

• Bishop
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 07:54:45 pm »
+1

C3: Emeric vs assemble_me

Game 4

Market Square, Warehouse, Death Cart, Herald, Marauder, Moneylender, Bazaar, Counting House, Merchant Ship, Stash
Provinces / Estates

assemble_me starts

I open 4/3 and open Moneylender/Silver. He has 5/2 and opens Merchant Ship. I'm adding Marauder, then a bunch of Heralds, he goes for an early Death Cart. We split the Heralds 5/5 and both add a Bazaar and Market Squares. With lots of ruins, but also two Death Carts in his deck he can get a point lead. In the end he could have the won with a double Province turn, but he misclicks and trashes his wrong Death Cart. I have enough money to win, but don't draw my Market Square, and so he wins.
I'm not convinced of what we did here, maybe just BM with Marauder and Merchant Ship would have been better.

1-3

Game 5

Horse Traders, Procession, Remake, Scavenger, Scout, Spice Merchant, Embassy, Margrave, Rebuild, Prince
Provinces / Shelters

Emeric starts

He opens Siler/Scavenger where I open Silver/Horse Traders. As second player, I decide I want to check out if Embassy BM can win against Rebuild on a Board with Shelters. It's closer than I thought and as first player or with better draws I might have won. I think Horse Traders is better for the Rebuild plan than it is for the money plan, but maybe Scavenger is best in both cases.

1-4

On your game 4, i think engine is good to do. 4/3 seems much better here than 5/2.
I wouldnt take silver here to begin, and probably never during the game. Clearly a warehouse.
Warehouse/marauder seems good to spoil oponent deck, but with death cart, it seems very close to moneylender/warehouse opening
because you want to trash very fst your coppers in this engine. I think i would take moneylender/warehouse here

On your game 5, if you want to go BM with Embassy, why not opening double silver?
I'm not sure that would be great, but i would have temptation here to open remake, to have a small deck and next procession my remake on rebuild, and why not procession my rebuild at some point to have a fast game. Maybe thats just a dream..  ;)

Ty for posting your games!

theblankman

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 08:47:55 pm »
+1

On your game 4, i think engine is good to do. 4/3 seems much better here than 5/2.
I wouldnt take silver here to begin, and probably never during the game. Clearly a warehouse.
Warehouse/marauder seems good to spoil oponent deck, but with death cart, it seems very close to moneylender/warehouse opening
because you want to trash very fst your coppers in this engine. I think i would take moneylender/warehouse here
As first player, I'm not sure between Warehouse/Marauder and Warehouse/Moneylender, but if I can see my opponent's $4 buy before making my own, that influences me.  If they open Marauder, I probably counter-buy, otherwise Moneylender.  That may not be right, but I usually feel uneasy letting my opponent have a one-sided junk split unless there's very strong trashing. 

On your game 5, if you want to go BM with Embassy, why not opening double silver?
I'm not sure that would be great, but i would have temptation here to open remake, to have a small deck and next procession my remake on rebuild, and why not procession my rebuild at some point to have a fast game. Maybe thats just a dream..  ;)
Remake Shelters to Estates for Rebuild fuel?  That sounds like it could work.  But thinning out all your Copper isn't necessarily great for Rebuild, you increase the chance that the VP cards you really want Rebuild to hit are stuck in your hand. 

On the BM side, I might be tempted to open Spice Merchant.  BM doesn't mind ditching some copper, and you can cycle a little.  After trashing a bit and getting some higher value treasures, you could even consider Margrave over Embassy.  Your deck might be good enough to use the +buy.  The Margrave attack probably doesn't hurt a Rebuilding opponent so much, but you might only need to slow them a little.  Also the free Silver if you go Embassy is fairly helpful to the Rebuild player.  Not entirely sure about any of that though.

assemble_me

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 01:23:25 am »

Remake Shelters to Estates for Rebuild fuel?  That sounds like it could work.  But thinning out all your Copper isn't necessarily great for Rebuild, you increase the chance that the VP cards you really want Rebuild to hit are stuck in your hand. 

On the BM side, I might be tempted to open Spice Merchant.  BM doesn't mind ditching some copper, and you can cycle a little.  After trashing a bit and getting some higher value treasures, you could even consider Margrave over Embassy.  Your deck might be good enough to use the +buy.  The Margrave attack probably doesn't hurt a Rebuilding opponent so much, but you might only need to slow them a little.  Also the free Silver if you go Embassy is fairly helpful to the Rebuild player.  Not entirely sure about any of that though.
I thought about Margrave, too. Sure he only has a three card hand. But the extra card he draws could also just be another Rebuild? The Margrave could also prevent him from hitting 5 for another Rebuild or a Duchy. I wasn't sure about that, so I just went for Embassy.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 01:32:19 am by assemble_me »

Emeric

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Emeric
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 04:06:07 am »

In Game 5, I was a bit lucky in turn 7 when I play Scavenger, put a rebuild on top of deck and draw my 3 rebuild ! This turn accelerate the game in my way.
https://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140922/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1411412064392.txt#2-7

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 02:50:46 pm »

I finished up a match with michaeljb last night and combined it with the partial result from before. Here's the post, since it's going to appear farther up in the thread.

This prompted the "To black market or not to black market?" thread, but the last two games are new as of me writing this message.

theblankman

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 10:51:58 pm »
+2

theblankman vs mpsprs

Game 1

Lighthouse, Village, Navigator, Nomad Camp, Baker, Band of Misfits, Catacombs, Mystic, Grand Market, Hoard
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140928/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1411945604064.txt

I went for a Village/Catacombs into GM engine, but with no trashing it just didn't get going fast enough.  I knew Cata+Hoard was pretty strong, but it's stronger than I anticipated and beats my strategy pretty handily. 

Game 2

Duchess, Native Village, Loan, Swindler, Advisor, Quarry, Taxman, Counterfeit, Hunting Party, Vault
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140928/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1411946434738.txt

I open Swindler/Quarry vs Swindler/Swindler, then get lucky with a turn 3 Counterfeit and proceed to get almost all the HPs.  I lose some HPs and gain some junk from his Swindlers but Vault turns all the crap to cash and gets me my Provinces.  I think it was a bit of a mistake to let me keep Counterfeit when Swindler found it, as it's the only +buy on the board which makes it both important to my deck and hard to replace (I probably have to overspend if I draw most of my deck with HP and Vault).  What else to give is a tough call though since there's no bad $5 card here.  With Vaults in my deck I don't even mind a free Duchy all that much. 

Game 3

Poor House, Baron, Noble Brigand, Talisman, Taxman, Cache, Cultist, Merchant Ship, Pillage, TreasuryColony/Platinum

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140928/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1411947117259.txt

Cultist is obviously a big deal here, but Taxman seems a bit better than usual with Platinum on the board, so we both open it.  Turn 5 goes heavily in my favor, as I hit his Silver, costing him a $5 turn.  I consider this a lucky break, but I would've played the turn that way even if I knew he didn't have Silver in hand, because I didn't have $5 for another Cultist.  From there it feels like my tempo is better, I win the Ruin split, the Cultist split, get some Platinum and work my way through the Colonies. 

Game 4

Transmute, University, Oracle, Bridge, Horse Traders, Island, Spy, Wandering Minstrel, Duke, Tribute
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140928/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1411947935150.txt

It seems like mpsprs was eyeing an engine with a Bridge payload here, with University to gain components and Wandering Minstrel to cycle through his deck.  I looked at that too, but with only Island to thin your deck, and only Oracle for draw, I can't see it working.  Add to that Horse Traders as a very good Duke enabler, and Island as a pretty good third pile to run, and I think the Duke rush was definitely better here. 

Game 5

Courtyard, Crossroads, Philosopher's Stone, JackOfAllTrades, Baker, Bandit Camp, Mandarin, Market, Torturer, Adventurer
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140928/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1411948608192.txt

This game, I'm not too sure about.  I went straight for the pieces to a Torturer engine, while he got Jacks and Bakers first.  He's able to Jack-trash a bunch of Curses, making my early Torturers not very effective.  I don't like Baker much on this board, there's better things to buy with $5.  I also don't like the second Jack unless you're going for less engine and more Jack+money (too many Silver clogs the engine).  But he didn't fall that far behind with a mix of DoubleJack and engine pieces, so I wonder how well a more textbook DoubleJack would do against the engine. 

Game 6

Scheme, Feodum, Counting House, Ghost Ship, Harvest, Mint, Mountebank, Outpost, Royal Seal, Prince
http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140928/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1411949573775.txt

mpsprs admits this is his first ever Prince game, and then proceeds to misplay his first Prince, setting it aside with no eligible action in hand, and his second one, playing all his Schemes instead of keeping one to set aside.  In a neat twist, the fact that you aren't required to set Prince aside means he can play it just to topdeck it with Scheme, so that he finally gets Prince of Scheme the following turn.  From there he's hitting me with Ghost Ship every turn, which sucks, but by then I have a nice lead and two piles are empty, so I'm slogging out the Duchies for the win.  Even with correct Prince play, I'm not sure how worth it Prince is on this board.  Playing Ghost Ship every turn is sweet, but does it come together fast enough against Mountebank?  And if you're building an engine you presumably want extra gains later, and the best you get here is Outpost. 

mpsprs

• Explorer
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 06:59:56 am »

re: TheBlankman vs. mpsprs  (logs are in his post)

Well-played.  I thought you played strong and steady matches, while I played rather erratically, and the run of luck I'd been on didn't counterbalance that.  (Which isn't to say I had bad luck-I think I had mediocre luck, but in the previous rounds it had been quite good).

Game 1: 
Lighthouse, Village, Navigator, Nomad Camp, Baker, Band of Misfits, Catacombs, Mystic, Grand Market, Hoard
I had a fast start here, so I went with catacombs/hoard to just race.  I still played erratically (buying other components), but I hit 8 with two hoards very early, and that cushion propelled me through.

Game 2:
Duchess, Native Village, Loan, Swindler, Advisor, Quarry, Taxman, Counterfeit, Hunting Party, Vault
Badly outplayed here.  The quarry crushed me.  I agree with theblankman about giving him vaults, but really, it didn't matter at that point.  I never seem to do well in swindler games.

Game 3:
Poor House, Baron, Noble Brigand, Talisman, Taxman, Cache, Cultist, Merchant Ship, Pillage, Treasury
theblankman hit my silver with taxman in the first shuffle, and it snowballed.  The ruins split wasn't horrible (6-4), but my economy was never there.  By the time I got a platinum, I think I was down about 4 platinums and 3 colonies.  My taxman felt like it collided with cultists almost every turn, so it did almost nothing.  Maybe it should have just been a silver?  If there were a game where I could curse my luck, this would be it. 

Game 4:
Transmute, University, Oracle, Bridge, Horse Traders, Island, Spy, Wandering Minstrel, Duke, Tribute
I did try to build an engine-y type thing.  Never got it going, and as theblankman points out, it isn't strong enough to compete with duchy duke anyway.  1P twice early on didn't help, but I wasn't going to win this one anyway.

Game 5:
Courtyard, Crossroads, Philosopher's Stone, JackOfAllTrades, Baker, Bandit Camp, Mandarin, Market, Torturer, Adventurer
I think theblankman is right that two jacks is two many if I am trying to also run a partial engine.  I did stay close here, which makes me think someone with skill at this kind of engine would pull it off.  I am able to double duchy in PPR to take the lead, but theblankman gets some huge crossroads to get up to double province to win.

Game 6:
Scheme, Feodum, Counting House, Ghost Ship, Harvest, Mint, Mountebank, Outpost, Royal Seal, Prince
My first Prince game!  Only one target (not that I remembered the 4 cost restriction to begin with), so anything good is likely to take too long to setup.  Only outpost for buy, and this probably isn't a great game for prince.  But it's my first time with it, so am I going to go for it?  Of course I am!  And I hit a fairly early 8.  If I had been clever enough to then prince a scheme, and scheme a mountebank for a while, I would have been in pretty good shape.  But I screw up my first prince, and there's 8 coins wasted.  I play straight for a bit, but I'm falling behind, so I make a desperate of another prince to eventually hit theblankman with ghost ship every turn.  I get it going eventually, but too late, as he can run the duchies. 

Several fun games, and a fun set.

assemble_me

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 07:49:48 am »

theblankman vs mpsprs
Game 4

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140928/log.516d33dbe4b082c74d7b39fa.1411947935150.txt

It seems like mpsprs was eyeing an engine with a Bridge payload here, with University to gain components and Wandering Minstrel to cycle through his deck.  I looked at that too, but with only Island to thin your deck, and only Oracle for draw, I can't see it working.  Add to that Horse Traders as a very good Duke enabler, and Island as a pretty good third pile to run, and I think the Duke rush was definitely better here. 

This seems quite interesting. Going for the Duke slog I think you don't want to compete on Islands early on. I have to believe that an extra Horse Traders, Silver (turn 5/9) or an early Duchy (turn 5) would have been better. I guess the Oracle is more of a help than an attack with HT in hand.

Going for the engine I think University might be a trap and I'd be inclined to skip it. You can still gain extra cards with your Bridges and the components are rather cheap (<=4). The opportunity cost of your Unis are quite high and you don't want too many anyways because you can't increase your handsize when playing them. WM is a great village and in a non mirror you can get plenty of them, so you won't lack actions and its sifting also makes somewhat up for the missing trashing. I'd be interested to see how the engine would do against HT/Duke while skipping Uni.

Btw: You missed telling that mpsprs had 2/5 which is just awful here ;).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 07:57:18 am by assemble_me »

theblankman

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 11:23:08 am »

Btw: You missed telling that mpsprs had 2/5 which is just awful here ;).
I forgot it happened when I wrote the review, but now that you mention it, I do remember thinking just that during the game itself.  I definitely ran hot this set, no bad openings like that one, that big Taxman hit early in the Cultist game, relatively few Taxman/Cultist collisions in the same game (I think I had 2 or 3, but in a 31-turn game that's not much). 

Re: your other comments, I think turn 5 Duchy is too early in a non-mirror, but I can see the argument for Silver or HT over Island.  My thinking was that I want to empty Islands anyway, and setting aside Estates or Duchies will have the effect that I get more money in hand just as buying Silver or HT would.  At that point I was still wondering if I missed something about the Bridge engine that mpsprs saw, so I wanted to take a lead and end the game before he could go off. 

Oracle is indeed unimpressive against my deck... even if it discards "good" cards (HT or Silver), it cycles me a bit, and if I reveal HT and then Oracle leaves two cards on top, I can decide which one HT will draw for me.  That's an interesting little interaction.

theblankman

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 12:06:38 pm »

Game 1: 
I had a fast start here, so I went with catacombs/hoard to just race.  I still played erratically (buying other components), but I hit 8 with two hoards very early, and that cushion propelled me through.
Yeah I remember thinking that double-Hoard was nice for you.  It was probably a mistake for me to skip Hoard this game.  In retrospect I still like GM for +buy and the chance to put together some huge turns with GM and free Gold, but without trashing, and with the money aids here, the pure engine doesn't get the job done. 

Game 2:
Badly outplayed here.  The quarry crushed me.  I agree with theblankman about giving him vaults, but really, it didn't matter at that point.  I never seem to do well in swindler games.
Swindler is just really swingy sometimes.  I wouldn't say badly outplayed, double Swindler is often a good opening.  I do think Quarry was better in this case, but my first shuffle was also really good.  T3 Counterfeit, T4 Hunting Party, and your first Swindler hitting Estate is enough luck that I don't think I even noticed my Swindler missed that shuffle until just now :)

Game 5:
I think theblankman is right that two jacks is two many if I am trying to also run a partial engine.  I did stay close here, which makes me think someone with skill at this kind of engine would pull it off.  I am able to double duchy in PPR to take the lead, but theblankman gets some huge crossroads to get up to double province to win.
Without the Baker token, I would've probably opened Jack/Silver and tried to transition into the engine, but with Crossroads out there and you not taking the early Torturer, I wasn't as worried about Jack-trashing, and in the end I'm glad my deck only has one Silver.  On your turn 16, I'm not at all sure, but breaking PPR might've been the right gamble.  I was fairly likely to eventually draw my whole deck and double-Province, so I'm not sure the Duchy dance favors you. 

Game 6:
My first Prince game!  Only one target (not that I remembered the 4 cost restriction to begin with), so anything good is likely to take too long to setup.  Only outpost for buy, and this probably isn't a great game for prince.  But it's my first time with it, so am I going to go for it?  Of course I am!  And I hit a fairly early 8.  If I had been clever enough to then prince a scheme, and scheme a mountebank for a while, I would have been in pretty good shape.  But I screw up my first prince, and there's 8 coins wasted.  I play straight for a bit, but I'm falling behind, so I make a desperate of another prince to eventually hit theblankman with ghost ship every turn.  I get it going eventually, but too late, as he can run the duchies. 
When the only target is Scheme, I think it's okay that there's only one... you can hold the Scheme until Prince arrives and connect much more reliably than any other card.  That might have meant sacrificing one or two Mountebank plays in this game, but I'm not sure how big a deal that is if you can start playing it every turn shortly thereafter, then transition into Ghost Ship every turn.  I did struggle a bit finishing the Duchies once the Ghost Ship hits started coming, and you sort of helped me end the game by buying 5 Schemes (you only need a few to connect with Princes) and getting some Duchies yourself instead of building further.  I think Prince has a chance to be competitive here, if I hit 8 a few turns earlier I would've strongly considered it. 

assemble_me

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 06:35:19 pm »
+3

C3: MarkowKette vs. assemble_me

It's time for my last game this season and it might be my last game in C for a while: I'm playing against my demotion. Markow is a top player in our division who got just demoted from B. I had wanted to get at least 13.5 points which is probably good enough not to become last and maybe enough not to get demoted. But to get there, I have to tie today which won't be easy... The nice thing is, we've scheduled our match very sponteneously so I didn't have any time to become nervous as I usually am when playing my league games, especially against higher rated opponents.

Game 1

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140928/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1411931820575.txt

Develop, Shanty Town, Trade Route, Horse Traders, Quarry, Scavenger, Taxman, Library, Upgrade, Hunting Grounds
Provinces / Estates

MarkowKette starts

This is an interesting engine board. Markow opens Shanty Town/Quarry, I decide to go Horse Traders/Shanty Town, because I want an Upgrade first and I need the HT for +Buy anyway. He gets his early Hunting Grounds, I'm getting a perfect second shuffle with Upgrade and Quarry. I can quickly enable Horse Traders + Quarry, get a little building advantage and load up on Upgrades. The game ends quite quickly on piles, he can't catch up said advantage.

1-0

Game 2

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140928/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1411932591365.txt

Haven, University, Black Market, Scheme, Wishing Well, Bureaucrat, Cutpurse, Explorer, Pillage, Rogue
Provinces / Estates

MarkowKette starts

This board lacks of draw and a villages besides Uni, but you don't want Uni either because most cards on the board aren't good so you want to dig the BM. He opens BM/BM on 3/4. I'm puzzled what to get with my 2/5. Actually, everything looks awful, I'd like BMs, too, but decide to open Haven/Pillage for the early Spoils and add BMs later. I can get Urchin and Mountebank quite fast and can even collide them, while he gets Tournament. However, it seems my terminals collide every time, probably because I just have too many. Markow just gets a bunch of Gold, starts provincing and has a sudden big points lead I can't catch up. Actually it's a little funny he never collided his Tournament with one of his Provinces. Well, who needs prizes anyway ;)?

1-1

Game 3

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140928/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1411933233632.txt

Lighthouse, Hermit, Wishing Well, Cutpurse, Spice Merchant, Spy, Thief, Worker's Village, Bandit Camp, Trading Post
Provinces / Estates

assemble_me starts

With Madman as only draw we decide to build money based decks. I open Cutpurse/Hermit where he goes for copper thining with Hermit/Spice Merchant. I can get an early Gold in turn 3 but make a big mistake in turn 5 adding a Trading Post (for 6, which could have been another Gold). I get the initiative on greening but have two 7$ hands in a row while he can pull ahead and is suddenly out of reach. I end up playing my Trading Post only once.

1-2

Game 4

http://www.gokosalvager.com/kingdomvisualize?logurl=http://dominionlogs.goko.com/20140928/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1411934071126.txt&width=100&submit=Search

Vineyard, Scrying Pool, Bridge, Death Cart, Herald, Ironworks, Tournament, Baker, Witch, Adventurer
Provinces / Estates

assemble_me starts

I have 2/5 and there's also the Baker token... I say that I'd like to have 4/4 and Markow agrees, the good thing is he has 5/2. We both pick up Silver and Witch first and go heavily into Ironworks for Vineyards. I feel quite uncomfortabe playing it, I can't remember having it ever played before and also don't remember seeing a streamed or recorded game, so I misplay quite a bit.
Mistake 1: I go for an early Hearld which almost can't hit early on and loose the Ironworks split because of it, which is probably a big, big deal
Mistake 2: He goes for an early Scrying Pool with a Potion he got on turn 4 already (I guess I disagree with that early Potion, too). On turn 8 I draw my first Potion for the first time and this should have probably been the first Vineyard already, instead I follow for one Scrying Pool myself
Mistake 3: I don't consider Death Cart to load up on extra actions, so he gets 4 Death Carts and 8 Ruins for a lot of extra VY points although there's probably not a lot to do against that due to the lost IW split. The only way to get some of these would have been to start getting them earlier than him.
Learning to play IW/Vineyard with Death Cart support the hard way, gg Markow.
3-1 for him already, we both have to go first one more time - doesn't look that good for me...

1-3

Game 5

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140928/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1411935393959.txt

Haven, Pawn, Shanty Town, Trade Route, Fortress, Militia, Remake, Bandit Camp, Rogue, King's Court
Provinces / Estates

MarkowKette starts

A King's Court board although there's no real draw out there. But with Militia around you probably have to go for the engine anyway. There's also Remake/Fortress, but the 5$s aren't the greatest. So he opens Militia/Silver. I decide that Remake is more important to me than attacking and go for Silver/Remake. Markow decides to load up on Shanty Towns, as you might draw some cards with it, if you're lucky. I decide to lean more towards Remake/Fortress. He's getting King's Court first. I'm getting lots of Bandit Camps, probably too many and the Spoils keep me from getting through my deck efficiently. While I'm having too much money, he seems to have a bit too less from time to time. Maybe my extra Remake/Fortress tricks and the extra money weren't that bad after all. I can take a points lead and don't let him getting closer until I can almost pile out on a win, and with my 42 points he resigns.

2-3

Game 6

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20140928/log.50e7525ee4b0b5b74140a6c0.1411936881081.txt

Hamlet, Herbalist, Masterpiece, Watchtower, Cutpurse, Monument, Treasure Map, Minion, Trading Post, Prince
Provinces / Estates

assemble_me starts

This is a pretty cool engine board. Hamlet/Watchtower is usually pretty cool, there's Monument for extra points, Minion looks a bit weaker than usually with Watchtower around but is still nice. Treasure Map comboes with Watchtower, but probably not here. And there's Prince and it could be actually useful! I'm having 2/5 again and this time it's great because I can open Hamlet/Trading Post. He opens Silver/Cutpurse and I answer with my first Watchtower next shuffle. So he plays something more like a Minion engine with Watchtower support while I'm playing a Watchtower engine with Minion support. I like Minions still for their disappearing 2$ and the attack is still good if I don't find a Watchtower. I'm getting to 8$ in turn 8 and decide to just go for Prince. It's actually the first time I'm buying it at all. I'm getting a Monument next as it's my first intention to Prince it. Then I draw a less promising hand but I'm having a Hamlet with my Prince. I feel like one more card and at least one more action and the option for another action and another buy each turn should be pretty cool still and maybe it could prevent me from stalling at all. I get another Prince and another Monument and can eventually set them aside. He princes a Cutpurse which can only reveal my hand and gives 2$ each turn. My trashing advantage probably helped quite a bit, I felt being ahead throughout the game. Eventually I can set up a three pile ending and take it next turn.
Markow says that he doesn't like my green cards. I do like my first Province but my Duchy was really weird here. I should have just gotten triple Minion here, or maybe more Princes, Monuments or Hamlets.

3-3

So in the end I could tie and I hit exactly 13.5 points as I had hoped for! Great. I'll still need some help from my division to not demote but I'm happy with my finish. Thanks to MarkowKette and everyone else in my division for playing this season, hope to play all of you soon again.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:47:15 am by assemble_me »

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Re: Partial results
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2014, 11:50:53 pm »

Link to entire stream on Twitch
Link to YouTube video playlist

Game 1: Slyfox resigned, AdamH 34
Game Log     Twitch Highlight     YouTube Video
Kingdom Cards: Pawn, Urchin, Woodcutter, Marauder, Tournament, Counting House, Horn of Plenty, Merchant Guild, Mine, Upgrade

Everyone's favorite thing ever! Urchin AND Tournament! Let's cut to the chase: we both don't get Mercenaries until the third shuffle.

He connects Tournament and Province first and decides on Followers, which I have to believe isn't very good -- you can already junk your opponent and you can already discard-attack them. Steed is the only village and the only draw on the board, so I get a Steed and win the game.

There were several weird plays and misplays here. I miss out on an opportunity to pick up Diadem to guarantee a Province hand, instead going for Bag of Gold (oh yeah). A few of his buys seem pretty weird to me, which I call out in the video.

He resigns when I get my 5th Province, because there was no coming back at that point.

Some nuggets from the chat:

<jsh357> i guess merc and then get tournaments hoping for steed/princess
<jsh357> or something
<mic_qsenoch> something like that
<jsh357> or just flip a coin and move on
<jsh357> that works too

<mic_qsenoch> i don't think this game is a coin flip, any more than most dominion games
<amalloy> the laws of probability and chance don't apply to mic_qsenoch. he wins at least 65% of coin flips

And finally, the reason why you all came:

<jsh357> tournament games are the quidditch of dominion
<jsh357> he caught the snitch/followers
<jsh357> unless you earn 160 points with princess in the meantime
<eeeveeee> such a rookie mistake to say something that funny on twitch chat
<eeeveeee> missed out on 20 respect

Seriously, jsh needs to go pro on this stuff. Here's a post you can all go +1 if you're so inclined.

Game 2: Slyfox 28, AdamH 38
Kingdom Cards: Chapel, Haven, Herbalist, Watchtower, Wishing Well, Philosopher's Stone, Bandit Camp, Harvest, Ill-Gotten Gains, Mint

I've often said that IGG is one of my favorite cards to ignore. While I didn't completely ignore it (I bought one over Silver, knowing I was just going to trash it to Mint), I think this game largely says why this is the case. Slyfox goes pretty much just for a bunch of IGGs, and Chapel and Watchtower are more than enough defense.

I react imperfectly, of course. I should have placed more emphasis on Watchtower and Wishing Well instead of early Silver and tried to Mint Golds more, so I was susceptible to losing the game to a bad draw on my last shuffle, but it was a comfortable win. When the IGGs were done being bought, you can just look at our decks and see that mint is just better (I'm so sorry).

<jsh357> by the way
<jsh357> if you want this flavor of chat ALL DAY
<jsh357> join us on freenode
<jsh357> in ##f.ds
<jsh357> get it while supplies last!
<awaclus> before CC empties them

You guys...

Game 3: Slyfox 21, AdamH 38
Kingdom Cards: Squire, Apothecary, Scout, Spy, Catacombs, Counting House, Minion, Rogue, Possession, Prince

There's an Apothecary -> Possession deck to be built here, and it appears that's what Slyfox is going for. The only problem is that he races down Squires starting T3, which just can't be good. Without this pace, he pivots into getting some Minions and the game is basically over at that point.

On the other hand, I thought (and still kind of think) that not going for Potions here is the right call. The Minion deck is relatively strong here, and it's not exactly the best thing in the world to Possess. The chat disagrees, but Slyfox was unfocused by this point and I don't know that this game can be used to decide which strategy is best here.

Anyways, the rest of this match will take place... at some point. Yeah.

EDIT: PART 2:

4. A first, A wins
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20141004/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1412436509632.txt

5. A first, S wins
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20141004/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1412438531025.txt

6. A first, S wins
http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20141004/log.5085f5130cf270038ff92212.1412440170380.txt
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 12:38:15 pm by AdamH »

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 11:37:48 pm by AdamH »

SirD

• Bishop
  • Life is supposed to be fun
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2014, 09:34:57 am »
+2

Dear Adam,

let me just tell you how much I like that you not only stream, but also upload the chat. This is a pleasure for me. So helpful to have to in addition to the stream. Thank you.
Greetings,
SirDagen
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 20 queries.