Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: General Other Board Games topic  (Read 9294 times)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: General Other Board Games topic
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2014, 04:02:48 pm »

Yes the game is so rich in decisions that players can feel out of their depth.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2014, 05:17:43 pm »

Really ? I mean Keyflower is a heavy game but anyone who's used to playing euros should do fine. It is a great game, a shame about how ugly it looks though.

@AdamH : You're not weird for enjoying the strategic depth bidding offers. I don't think anyone is saying it doesn't offer strategic depth, it's just that maximum strategic depth isn't necessarily the best, otherwise everyone would be playing Go. I tend to enjoy heavy games that are somehow intuitive, so that you don't have to worry too much the first time you play, you get to just discover the game.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2014, 06:52:28 pm »

Really ? I mean Keyflower is a heavy game but anyone who's used to playing euros should do fine. It is a great game, a shame about how ugly it looks though.

I find the art really charming, actually.  Eye of the beholder and all, I guess.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2014, 07:18:38 pm »

Keyflower is awesome, in my top 5 without a doubt.

From my recent discoveries, I enjoyed Robinson Crusoe, an interesting coop with different scenarios. Glass road blew my mind too, very good double-guessing mechanism paired with ressource management, and I usually don't like Rosenberg's game at all. Concordia, because it has a card system somehow similar to deck-building.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2014, 06:18:07 pm »

Anyone have any experience with Tragedy Looper?  The concept is very intriguing.  The one review up on BGG is glowing, but warns that there are spoilers (which is why I haven't gone any further in looking up how it works).

From what I can tell, the game is one vs. many.  The one player is some sort of evil mastermind who controls a complex(?) scenario (10 come with the game, and a large portion of the rulebook is devoted to teaching you how to write custom scenarios; there will certainly be fan scenarios online and I believe there are already expansions with more scenarios available in Japan).  The other players direct the actions of characters in the scenario.  They begin knowing pretty much nothing and eventually their character(s) die due to the scenario rules.  Then the scenario rewinds in time and the players go through it again, hopefully having learned something.  Their goal is to get through a day without tragedy striking while the evil player needs them to lose a set number of times.

Also I am very interested in Dead of Winter.  Heard lots of good things about it.  When it becomes available, I may pick it up despite not liking the zombie theme (it's supposed to be very low-key in DoW).

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2014, 04:04:48 am »

Compare to worker placement : if you chose the wrong action, chances are you still chose something decent, and while that does benefit the player immediately after you, the swings are much smaller.

Yes but in many games the player after you tends to be the same player. In my first Agricola match (4p) I suffered from the player to my right not appreciating the value of getting the starting player once in a while, so either I had to get it or I had to open a turn with two spaces already taken.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2014, 02:18:19 pm »

Onitama looks like a really neat little 2p abstract game.

If you don't want to watch the linked video...

The game plays out on a 5x5 grid.  On your back row, you have four pawns and one main pawn in the center.  At the start of the game, you deal two cards to each player and a fifth card on the side.  All of these cards are movement cards.  On your turn, you choose one of your movement cards and move one of your pawns according to that card.  Then you swap the card with the card on the side.  If you land on an opposing pawn, that pawn is removed from the game.  You win when you take out the opponent's main pawn, or if you move your own main pawn into the opponent's main pawn's starting square.

The random setup sounds really neat.  There are 15 different movement cards so there are 3003 different sets, each of which could be distributed in 30 different ways to start.

I wonder if this kind of mechanic could be incorporated into a bigger game.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2014, 11:41:13 pm »
+1

If anyone's a Robo Rally fan, Richard Garfield posted a thread on Boardgamegeek asking about interest in a reprint.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10764
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2014, 12:02:35 am »

I think I have 3 answers.

Terra Mystica - learned it at BGG.con last year, instantly loved it. Played probably 10 times now, want to play more. Excited for the expansion.

Russian Railroads - new favorite worker placement game.

No Thanks! - Super-short game; so hard to compare to something like TM. But I've played at least 10 times already over just a couple weeks.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2014, 01:44:32 am »

What's on your radar for Essen this year, guys?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.