Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Scrying Pool + Minion  (Read 1747 times)

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
Scrying Pool + Minion
« on: August 30, 2014, 12:40:46 am »

This game I just had is a great example of just how amazing Scrying Pool can be in getting key cards like Minion that you need throughout the game into your hand. I don't think I would've won had I not gotten that final Minion to do the deck cycling necessary to facilitate that final Province buy for the victory:

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140829/log.516d5a9fe4b082c74d7bbb9c.1409373427586.txt
Dominion.games username: Jolinar of Malkshur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF_bIjIPAE

(I did not create the Trogdor the Burninator song nor am I associated with its producers in any way.  I just think it sounds cool. :P)

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +352
    • View Profile
Re: Scrying Pool + Minion
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 08:08:17 am »

This game I just had is a great example of just how amazing Scrying Pool can be in getting key cards like Minion that you need throughout the game into your hand. I don't think I would've won had I not gotten that final Minion to do the deck cycling necessary to facilitate that final Province buy for the victory:

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140829/log.516d5a9fe4b082c74d7bbb9c.1409373427586.txt

Yes, swindler/potion is correct opening but here scrying pool is key card and minion simply isn't. With swindler on board a dedicated scrying pool engine will crush minion one simply because each turn 5 pools find opponents minion and swindle it into duchy.

Also for swindler you should always give worst card possible, which on 5 is almost always duchy until you got to greening phase. Giving early trading post was worse than if you keep that minion as here both minion and scrying pool want thin decks(In general never give trasher with swindler unless its vineyard->transmute case). You should get trading post on first 5.

So try this again versus bots when you

1. Open swindler/potion
2. Prefer scrying pool over minion.
3. Get trading post on first 5
4. Then on 3 alternate between swindlers and shanty towns, caravan on 4, minion on 5
5. Until endgame 5->duchy, 4->scout, 3->shanty town unless opponent goes pools and use pools to try find 5

That should be lot better and win in 17 turns not in 24 unless opponent has swindle luck like turn 3 potion into scout.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 08:14:15 am by luser »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3191
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 08:45:14 am »
+1

4->scout,
*potion

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 09:15:11 am »

I would throw a Salvager in there (instead of Trading Post) for the +Buy and to increase action density.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3191
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 09:40:29 am »

trading post is better as both cards reduce your non-action card amount by one, and trading post will also replace a bad card with a silver and always have the +2$. but it all depends on your draws; if you open swindler/potion and you hit 5$ on after the first reshuffle, just go trading post, if you don't, get a salvager. it might very well also be worth to get both/get two of one, depending on how it goes.

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 11:18:01 am »

Yeah it might've been a good idea for me to get a Salvager at some point, but I think the highest amount of money I ever had in 1 turn was $10 or $11, so even in the greening phase it wouldn't have done me much good

Except that I could have Salvaged Provinces into Provinces to make the game go much faster
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 11:19:32 am by Trogdor the Burninator »
Dominion.games username: Jolinar of Malkshur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF_bIjIPAE

(I did not create the Trogdor the Burninator song nor am I associated with its producers in any way.  I just think it sounds cool. :P)

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 01:00:04 pm »

The +buy here particularly shines in the build-up, not so much in greening phase, so your "even" is misplaced. And the buy is only secondary to the trashing, which is simply a must. First 5 is a mandatory Trading Post; Minion is mediocre here.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 21 queries.