Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Goko Prince Scheme bug?  (Read 11469 times)

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
Goko Prince Scheme bug?
« on: August 29, 2014, 11:31:20 pm »

On Goko, if a card set aside with Prince is named for Scheme's effect, it will go on top of your deck and not continue to be set aside. (There is no choice.) The log prettifier is currently not working for me but the log would be here: http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140829/log.5066a4d70cf20e086dc89e71.1409368935383.txt.

Here's what I think the rules specify.

Scheme reads: "At the start of Clean-up this turn, you may choose an Action card you have in play. If you discard it from play this turn, put it on your deck." The Scheme-Hermit ruling implies that Scheme triggers from the card being discarded.

Prince reads: "...set aside an Action card from your hand costing up to $4. At the start of each of your turns, play that Action, setting it aside again when you discard it from play. (Stop playing it if you fail to set it aside on a turn you play it.)"

Since the two when-discard effects occur simultaneously, I should be able to choose which happens first. If I choose Prince to happen first, then the card should be set aside, causing Scheme to lose track of it so that the card doesn't go on the top of my deck. If I choose Scheme to happen first, then the card should go on top of my deck, causing Prince to lose track of it, so that the card doesn't get set aside. That means there are two legal outcomes (setting aside the card, and putting on top of the deck), but Goko only resolves to one, which happens to be the less favourable outcome for the player in most situations.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
Re: Goko Prince Scheme bug?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 12:12:47 am »
+3

Here's the question: in what case would you Scheme your Princed card then decide you want Prince to happen first? Scheme specifically says "you may" so I can't see a situation when you'd even bother selecting a card if you really want it to remain Princed anyways.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 12:43:35 am »
+3

Here's the question: in what case would you Scheme your Princed card then decide you want Prince to happen first? Scheme specifically says "you may" so I can't see a situation when you'd even bother selecting a card if you really want it to remain Princed anyways.
When you screw up? That was the case with me. :) (The UI doesn't make it easy to tell which cards were played by Prince vs played during your turn, and I forgot that I had two Princes playing Schemes per turn, not just one.)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 04:15:58 am »

I think you should be able to choose between the two which one you want to resolve first as they both trigger when you (try to) discard that card from play.
After you resolved either Prince or Scheme, the card is no longer in play, so the other one loses track.

I guess the only time you would purposely remove a card from Prince (other than by accident) is with a forced trasher like Trade Route or something.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 01:01:13 pm »

It is not unreasonable for the UI to assume Scheme always happens before Prince, because there is no reason to Scheme a card, other than screw-up prevention. I think it is a reasonable design choice to automate things, even at the cost of not double-checking.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 01:42:46 pm »
+8

I think it would be good if the Princed cards were a bit separate from the other Action cards you've played this turn. Then you could treat the bug as a feature. Actually this could be done for Durations from previous turns as well, it would make it easier for those people who don't have the Salvager extension to keep track of what they have played this turn.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 04:08:36 pm »
+1

That's actually a pretty good idea. A simple colored border may suffice.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 12:44:11 pm »

Your Princed card is literally always the first card you play every turn.  Just make sure not to click the leftmost card in your pile at the end of your turn when you use Scheme.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 12:51:30 pm »
+2

Your Princed card is literally always the first card you play every turn.  Just make sure not to click the leftmost card in your pile at the end of your turn when you use Scheme.
It is not when you have other duration in play and choose to play it before the princed card.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 12:53:53 pm »

It is not when you have other duration in play and choose to play it before the princed card.

The first non-orange card. If you princed a Duration, you deserve the hassle.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 03:35:11 pm »

If you Prince a Throne Room and use it on a duration card, does the TR stick to the duration or does it return to Prince?

I suspect it sticks to the duration, but rulings on this have changed in the past.

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 10:27:30 pm »
+1

If you Prince a Throne Room and use it on a duration card, does the TR stick to the duration or does it return to Prince?

I suspect it sticks to the duration, but rulings on this have changed in the past.

It sticks to the duration. Prince attempts to set it aside at the end of the turn, but fails to because the TR is not being discarded from play.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 11:15:19 pm »

So now TR's lack of "may" might have actual relevance some day.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 11:27:30 pm »
+2

You've never had a game where you played Throne Throne Smithy and then been forced to play an action you'd rather not play (or play twice maybe)?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 11:35:02 pm »

You've never had a game where you played Throne Throne Smithy and then been forced to play an action you'd rather not play (or play twice maybe)?
I can't say for sure that I haven't, but I don't remember ever playing a game like that either.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 02:26:38 am »

I think I had it happen a handful of times with Golem.

The reason I brought up the TR was because Donald first ruled that all TRs and KCs in a chain stay out, but later changed it to only the TR that was directly before the played duration card.

But there doesn't seem to be a rules contradiction here. The TR stays out with the duration, Prince fails to set it aside and so the TR goes away. And if you TR another TR which is played on a duration, the first TR goes back to Prince as the duration-TR rule implies.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 11:54:02 am »

I still don't understand why Prince should not work on Durations, setting them aside again when they are discarded. Wonder why Donald didn't want that.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 12:14:50 pm »

I still don't understand why Prince should not work on Durations, setting them aside again when they are discarded.
Because of the text in parentheses.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 12:52:10 pm »

I still don't understand why Prince should not work on Durations, setting them aside again when they are discarded.
Because of the text in parentheses.

I'll just claim you genuinely misunderstood me, so, yes, i know that. I wonder why that text had to limit it to "The turn you play it". It's not like it was necessary for Scheme (where lose track is the reason Prince may fail) or one-shots (which will not be discarded afterwards - unless you gain them back from the trash, where Prince loses track again). So was it just because Donald didn't want cards being played every second turn?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 02:55:57 pm »
+4

I still don't understand why Prince should not work on Durations, setting them aside again when they are discarded. Wonder why Donald didn't want that.
It's too confusing. Let's say you've got Fishing Village. Every other turn you get +$1 +2 Actions, every other turn you get +$1 +1 Action. Some turns it doesn't matter which one it is, you aren't using the last Action; then, you lose track of what you're supposed to be getting.

And then, by not letting you use it with durations, I deprive you of a use that wasn't going to be what you wanted much anyway, because you're in some sense getting half as much as with some other card.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 03:23:56 pm »

Seems to me that you'd still play the card every tun. So the turn after you set aside Fishing Village, you get [+1 Action; +$1]. Every turn after that, you'd get [+3 Actions; +$2].

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 03:30:48 pm »

Seems to me that you'd still play the card every tun. So the turn after you set aside Fishing Village, you get [+1 Action; +$1]. Every turn after that, you'd get [+3 Actions; +$2].

Seems to me the duration card would get detached from Prince since it gets left in play after the first turn and then would be discarded as normal after the second turn thus widowing Prince.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2014, 03:57:55 pm »

Seems to me the duration card would get detached from Prince since it gets left in play after the first turn and then would be discarded as normal after the second turn thus widowing Prince.

Man, read the thread. We are talking about a hypothetical Prince that works on Duration cards.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2014, 04:25:15 pm »

Man, read the thread. We are talking about a hypothetical Prince that works on Duration cards.

I was coming from the german version of the card (which lacks a bit in clarity anyhow), but i'll try an english version that works as i meant:

"You may set this aside. If you do, set aside an Action card from your hand costing up to 4. At the start of each of your turns, if that Action is set aside, play it, setting it aside again when you discard it from play."

I got my answer though. Thanks, Donald. :)

Edit: And yes, you are of course right that the current Prince only with that one line removed would play them every turn, LastFootnote. Thinking of it now, i can clearly see how my attempt at a solution only gives you half of what you pay for, while the other way (that you meant) is super confusing.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 04:29:50 pm by Asper »

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2014, 04:34:56 pm »
+2

Well it would depend on the exact phrasing of this hypothetical card. Having it play the card every turn is not great for me either though.

When we playtested Prince, I had several versions with different wordings, and some of them worked on duration cards and one-shots. Those things were tried and did not work out.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 2.075 seconds with 21 queries.