Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Would you use a free website to track the results of board games?  (Read 2007 times)

Jakejgordon

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
    • NemeStats
+1

Hello everyone I am trying to gather feedback for a new website I am building to track the results of board games! Obviously feedback from gamers would be tremendously appreciated as I try to build something that would work great for you (us). I am doing this for fun and it will be completely free so any comments or feedback you have would be amazing. The website is NemeStats.com. Hopefully getting set up is intuitive and doesn't require instruction but let me know if you struggle. Thanks and I appreciate all feedback!!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Would you use a free website to track the results of board games?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 11:41:28 pm »
+5

I don't think that it's a bad idea, but I wouldn't personally use it, as it would make it more difficult to convince my family that I don't win every time.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 12:56:34 am »

I'm from Cleveland. We don't track wins and losses here, just moral victories and trades.

I doubt I'd use the site because I lack the frequency of playing anything to be worth it.

Edit: although it would be beneficial for you to have a mobile site ready to use and easy to navigate.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 01:06:42 am by enfynet »
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 04:54:20 am »

Maybe. I have started logging my plays on BGG but I don't like their interface enough to commit to tracking results and stuff, so if your site is more user-friendly, I could see myself doing that.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Ratsia

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +113
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 05:44:48 am »

Hello everyone I am trying to gather feedback for a new website I am building to track the results of board games! Obviously feedback from gamers would be tremendously appreciated as I try to build something that would work great for you (us).
I would say that such a site would need to be coupled with carefully chosen statistics in order to be useful. I can already write down the results quickly with various score sheet -type applications, typically on a phone, but to start using a specific dedicated web service I would want to get more analysis out of the plays. Your site seems to have some kind of player rankings, which is in the right direction, but most ways of presenting that information are uninteresting because the usual statistics (winning percentage, total number of wins, etc) do not mean much when the statistics are over a wide range of games (two-player games have much higher expected winning rate, the role of luck varies from game to game etc). A site that manages to provide an interesting ranking over the players would be useful, but I presume doing that would actually require developing a new variant of something like TrueSkill, a ranking tool that can handle multiple games with multiple levels of luck, while smoothing out the skill levels of players across similar types of games. I guess this is beyond what you can do for your hobby project, but nevertheless I would suggest seriously thinking about how to show the rankings when most players will only have played one round of each of the games.

A friend of mine has been keeping up similar log of his own games for a decade or so. His statistics show what kind of distribution for player and game counts one might converge to over the years; he has played more than 650 different games against more than 350 different opponents, and most gamers I personally know would be having similar statistics. I notice you said "against relatively stable group", which means people like these (or me) might not be your real target audience, but it could be worthwhile to think whether you can provide something interesting for this kind of gamers too? I can't imagine wanting to use a service that did not stretch out to cover proper statistics of everything I play over the years. His stats also show nicely why things like "winning percentage" really mean nothing as the top list of players is populated solely by players who have played exactly one game, yet there are clearly differences in the player population (the winning percentages of players with 100+ games range between 12-33%, partly because the players tend to play different kinds of games but partly because the player skills really do vary a lot -- that list has both regular drunkards but also people with continental championship titles in boardgaming).

Another practical thing is seamless integration with BGG. I anyway log everything there, and I definitely would not want to log anything twice. In practice, I would need a system where I can type in the results of arbitrary game and the play-counter in BGG for that particular game would then be automatically incremented by one (at least for me, but possibly also for the other players). Also, smooth mobile access is crucial; I never play around desktop machines.

(Now that I think of it, I probably should make the TrueSkill extension mentioned in the first paragraph. I've had the basics figured out for quite a few years already, but never bothered to actually implement and test it. If anyone is willing and capable of creating a publication for ICML/NIPS on this, I'm willing to collaborate. The model is effectively just a combination of Gaussian processes, collaborative filtering and TrueSkill, so nothing an ordinary grad student in machine learning couldn't handle...)

Jakejgordon

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
    • NemeStats
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 12:03:14 am »

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone, especially ratsia!

I'll definitely look more into BGG integration. Also, the site is already designed with mobile in mind (can always get better of course).

I have all kinds of ideas for statistics to try to address all of these concerns but my primary focus at the moment is just exploring whether I have enough of a concept to even continue. It's interesting to consider players who might want to just record their own games vs strangers. Will have to think about that one.

Thanks again and feel free to poke around or try it out if you get bored :) http://NemeStats.com

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 20 queries.